Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Malf posted:

I'm currently using Stay to reposition my windows when I connect/disconnect my external monitors, but it feels a bit clunky.

I think there were some alternatives posted here a few days ago but I can't find them.

Any recommendations?
Sex Parrot has a bunch of them in the OP but the two I've used that work well are Moom and DisplayMaid. I personally use Moom most of the time but DisplayMaid used to be developed by a goon (unsure if it still is). There's demo/trials for both of them on their websites so you can check them out before buying them off the App Store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Upgraded to Yosemite. Only real annoyance so far is that Caffeine's menubar icon gets stuck in highlight state if I right-click it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I thought it was Growl but I was mistaken. What is the native (I am assuming) slide out notifications I get in the upper right? I want to turn some (per app) off.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm loving Yosemite so far, especially the new version of Safari. Spotlight and the latest version of 1Password are also fantastic.

One problem I've run into so far -- I have a work account hosted through Gmail, but I cannot remember how I added it on previous versions of OSX. Mail is partially working, but I cannot get the outgoing server set up properly. I also can't get Calendars to sync. Can anyone point me at directions for setting up a Google Apps account properly?

Edit: Nevermind, it seems to have sorted itself out on its own.

Kobayashi fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 17, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Feenix posted:

What is the native (I am assuming) slide out notifications I get in the upper right? I want to turn some (per app) off.
System Preferences > Notifications?

You could also fire up Spotlight and start typing "Notifica..."

Or click the gear at the bottom of the list of Notifications sidebar.

It's like you guys aren't even trying.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

suddenlyissoon posted:

The upgrade took less than 20 minutes on my MacBook Retina and over 2 hours on my 2011 iMac. Had all sorts of issues with updating my apps on the iMac too.

I'm still having an issue that plagued me in Mavericks happen in Yosemite. Every so often the swiping back and forth on the mouse or track pad in order to go back/forward in a web page completely stops working. I've tried all the "remedies" that I have found online but can't figure it out. It's loving annoying though because the only way to fix it is a complete reboot.

I run 2 additional monitors on my iMac and I'm seeing two new icons on the task bar of which every monitor isn't the one I'm using. One is a black circle, the other is a black box with a small horizontal black line at the bottom of it. Every time I try to click on one they completely disappear. Even if I just click on something in that monitor, they disappear. It's pretty distracting because when they flicker off the toolbar basically redraws itself. Anyone have any idea what these are or how to get rid of them?

I'm a little late on this, but reset your PRAM.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Another question which I suspect I already know the answer to: Is there any way to import my phone's message history to the newly Continuity-enabled Messages.app? I'd rather keep a perfect, indefinitely growing record of my silly group chats on my Mac, which has hundreds of Gbs to spare than my phone, which does not.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

echobucket posted:

NOTE: if you use homebrew or other things in /usr/local

https://jimlindley.com/blog/yosemite-upgrade-homebrew-tips/

Your install may take FOREVER.

Thanks for this, bringing it forward into this page so others will get the word.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

flosofl posted:

That most likely explains the BT issue as well. BT lives in the unlicensed 2.4GHz bands as well. There are a *ton* of things that could be causing interference. Not just channel contention from neighbors, but any baby monitors, non-WiFi wireless security cams, some cordless phones, microwave ovens (really). BT is *supposed* to be able to dynamically adjust, but there may just be that much noise in your RF airspace.

E: If you have another computer/device to test the speakers and/or WiFi that would help. You can then see if it is, in fact, too much RF noise or if you need to call Apple Support.

Well the Logitech speaker paired with my MBPr at my house has been working for years up until last night after updating to Yosemite. I changed the router to 5GHz only this morning, so I'll have to check it tonight.

My iPhone paired with my Creative dock at work stopped working mid-song, and can't re-pair with it. I've only used the dock since I got the iPhone 6, and just getting it to work with that has been a pain until it stopped mid-song. But that's a topic for a different thread (and I'm just going to wait for 8.1 when that drops on Monday to see if that changes anything).

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

System Preferences > Notifications?

You could also fire up Spotlight and start typing "Notifica..."

Or click the gear at the bottom of the list of Notifications sidebar.

It's like you guys aren't even trying.

It's like I'm not even trying... :/ sorry I did try the spotlight search but nothing came up. Thank you for answering :)

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

CygnusTM posted:

The Server update that is available mentions Yosemite capability, so it would appear to be free.
It's not free. :( Yosemite requires version 4.0 which is another :20bux:. I guess the stuff in the 3.x update referred to Yosemite clients.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Updated to Yosemite on my MBPr I bought just last month, and I'm having nothing but problems. It wanted me to update iCloud, but when I did it flashed some error up and then immediately closed it. Now when I'm in the App Store with a bunch of updates waiting, any time I update it says "Update Unavailable with This Apple ID". Some Googling has suggested I log out of my Apple account and back in, but that's done nothing for me. I only have the one Apple account, and I can log in on it just fine.

Edit: Looks like it was Garage Band. Deleted the App and I can update everything now. I never used it anyway, so no loss.

Mortanis fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 18, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok I've had Sonos for 3 OSX versions now. Each time I updated (Mountain Lion, Mavericks, Yosemite...) I'd secretly hoped whatever was hosed UP with Sonos not being able to add my local music to my library would magically resolve itself. I googled (recently, and way back when) and even spent some time (way back when) on the phone with Sonos support for over 45 min. They couldn't help.

I go to add my library by pointing it to the right path and it basically says: "Sonos was unable to add the music folder - The Computer ____ cannot be found."

Has anyone here experienced this and or successfully resolved?

I followed this (back then and again just now) to no avail:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2414/~/manually-sharing-music-on-os-x

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If you are feeling brave, apparently you can update kexts to enable Handoff on 2011 Mac mini and Macbook Air models:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1803192

The hardware is compatible but they are blacklisted for unknown reasons. One theory being that it would look bad to allow the 2011 low end models while blocking the 2011 high end models (which really do require new hardware.)

I tried it and it really does enable the checkbox, but I got cold feet and reverted everything before I could get it working.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

smackfu posted:

If you are feeling brave, apparently you can update kexts to enable Handoff on 2011 Mac mini and Macbook Air models:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1803192

The hardware is compatible but they are blacklisted for unknown reasons. One theory being that it would look bad to allow the 2011 low end models while blocking the 2011 high end models (which really do require new hardware.)

I tried it and it really does enable the checkbox, but I got cold feet and reverted everything before I could get it working.

Thanks for this. I was just coming in here to ask why the hell I can't do handoff even though I have a mid 2011 MBA which should support it.

E: :stare: fuuuuck that

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Anybody else notice that the Yosemite installer didn't touch the recovery partition? I'd like to have that updated so I can do a clean install.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Anyone else noticing Safari just arbitrarily reloading a page in Yosemite? I've got a Youtube page in its own window, on a second display, playing long videos while I work in another application. After 20 mins or more, Safari will just reload the whole page, stopping the video and resetting it.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Is iCloud Drive working for you guys? I can open it on my Mac, but it only shows four folders. On other devices I have 11 folders in it. The contents of the folders it actually shows look correct, but I can't seem to do anything to get it to actually show me all the folders.

(This is probably not strictly a Yosemite problem, here's what I see in iCloud Drive on my iPad, iPhone, Mac, PC, and iCloud.com:

(Maybe it's so broken as a result of using iOS and Yosemite betas and I should look for a big "Delete All iCloud Drive Data" button so I can just start fresh.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Looking good so far.

Unrelated, but changing my router from 2.4GHz to 5GHz made my internet and streaming to my AppleTV problems go away. Possibly my bluetooth streaming problem too, I'll have to test that a bit more tonight.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

zergstain posted:

Anybody else notice that the Yosemite installer didn't touch the recovery partition? I'd like to have that updated so I can do a clean install.

Clean installs are also downloaded from the network.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CaptainCaveman posted:

Is iCloud Drive working for you guys?

For me it's about the same: a huge loving clusterfuck of here and there but not everywhere. Almost as bad as my current camera roll / photo stream clusterfuck of a situation.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

MrMoo posted:

Clean installs are also downloaded from the network.

I wasn't sure it wouldn't download the same version as on the partition. Is that still the case if the recovery drive has Mavericks?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

For me it's about the same

Well, that's not exactly promising, but at least I feel a bit better knowing it's not something I did/only me.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
icloud drive was a little wonky. wouldn't even open on my mac, so i had to deactivate it and reactivate it.

some bugs here and there, but i think it's more of it indexing poo poo. seems stable so far.

edit: i have a feeling this update would look gorgeous on a retina display. shame i'm on a early 2011 mbp, so no cool stuff for me.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Neurophonic posted:

The version numbers are different. Public beta 6 is 14A388b and release is 14A389. I just installed from the app store over the top of PB6 and it took maybe six minutes.

Anecdotally, I did a wipe and clean install of PB4 earlier this week to acclimatise and test some apps, and the main reason I chose not to just upgrade from 10.9 is that I rolled straight from final GM candidate into 10.9.1 and upwards but found over time that loads of odd bugs stayed present, such as some apps (Twitter, Evernote for example) refusing to store login details after quitting the app.

If somebody fancies checking to see if anything was changed between these minor revision numbers then by all means, but after a year of working around a minor, annoying bug or two I felt best to just give the minutes of my time over to be consistent with everyone else.

Thank you had the same question that the other dude asked and thanks for the answer. :)

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
Still playing around with it. So far, I like it. Pretty stable and it seems quick. Worried about battery life though. All those translucent effects have got to eat up some processes.

So far, battery estimates project six hours, which is the usual when I'm at school with dimmed lights maybe something like itunes or spotify open with safari.

Yeah, I like this so far.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
For some weird reason iTunes refuses to follow the color scheme I set in the General preferences. I want Granite, but when I set it to that, iTunes sets to blue. When I switch the settings to Blue, everything goes that way except iTunes, which goes to Granite. ideas?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Glasgow Kiss posted:

icloud drive was a little wonky. wouldn't even open on my mac, so i had to deactivate it and reactivate it.

some bugs here and there, but i think it's more of it indexing poo poo. seems stable so far.

edit: i have a feeling this update would look gorgeous on a retina display. shame i'm on a early 2011 mbp, so no cool stuff for me.

I had the same thing happen, but a reboot fixed the issue for me.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Recovery partition for Yosemite boots at a glacial pace, even on SSD, bets they're using some sort of compression scheme to get a bootable system into 660 MB.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Anyone else having a dog of a time getting Handoff to work? I'm trying some basic stuff just to try it out (Safari & Mail) and nothing is working.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Nut Bunnies posted:

Anyone else having a dog of a time getting Handoff to work? I'm trying some basic stuff just to try it out (Safari & Mail) and nothing is working.

It's not enabled yet. Install iOS 8.1 on Monday.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm still amazed that Dashboard didn't get axed, especially now that Notification Center supports widgets. Maybe next year.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Glasgow Kiss posted:

Still playing around with it. So far, I like it. Pretty stable and it seems quick. Worried about battery life though. All those translucent effects have got to eat up some processes.

If you look close, only the foreground window gets the translucency ("vibrancy" in Apple-speak) effects. Background windows are drawn opaque, which limits the amount of work that has to be done. Also, the effects are rendered with the GPU, there shouldn't be much additional CPU load.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm still amazed that Dashboard didn't get axed, especially now that Notification Center supports widgets. Maybe next year.

I think next year is a good bet. They've been preparing to ease it out for a while. There was already an unofficial plist setting to turn Dashboard off in Mavericks, and in Yosemite it's been promoted to a visible setting in System Preferences -> Mission Control.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

BobHoward posted:

If you look close, only the foreground window gets the translucency ("vibrancy" in Apple-speak) effects. Background windows are drawn opaque, which limits the amount of work that has to be done. Also, the effects are rendered with the GPU, there shouldn't be much additional CPU load.

Oh, that doesn't seem so bad then. That's pretty cool, actually.

I managed to get a few hours on battery. It's holding up pretty well. I'm jealous of you guys with a retina display. Stuff must look crisp as hell.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I am retarded but would these instructions work for a clean Yosemite install?

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

It's not enabled yet. Install iOS 8.1 on Monday.

It's been working for me since iOS 8.0. A little finicky though. Only thing I can think of is to check the hardware requirements and make sure everything supports handoff.

8.1 enables instant hotspot and SMS relay.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Boatswain posted:

I am retarded but would these instructions work for a clean Yosemite install?

If they had massively changed the procedure from how it has worked for ages, we'd know by now. So yes, it should work.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Nut Bunnies posted:

I had issues as well. The thing that fixed it for me was logging out and back into iCloud on my Mac. Since then it has been pretty consistent. Also remember that you need Bluetooth to be enabled on all your devices and that handoff should be enabled under Settings/System Preferences->General.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

The Mavericks Server app mysteriously disappeared from my list of purchased apps in App Store, yet I still have the purchase receipt in my history. Did I trigger this by downloading (but not installing) the Yosemite installer on my account?
I've got a copy of on my backup drive, but man I would prefer to have the Mavericks Server app available for download if necessary. Not planning on updating my little home server to Yosemite for a few months at least.

Also anyone seen choppy graphics performance in Mission Control in Yosemite? It's kind of choppy when I switch to it. (2011 15" mbp, ssd, 8gb)