Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Japanese Phone Box posted:

Jurassic Park: Trespasser Part II

no stretch goal where i get to look down at my guy's juicy titties, no sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Otisburg posted:

Playing tabletop miniature and roleplaying games remotely is pretty much a solved problem (VASSAL, various RPG VTTs).

But let's remove the advantages and streamlining of moving tabletop games into a digital presentation, and add a gimpy waldo-arm interface and Occulus VR to inject faux "authenticity" (along with sub-1990's quality textures and animation) for the worst of BOTH worlds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAUkGxaLVfE

The "scanning your minis" and the 3D tabletop looks cool, but I can totally do without the whole VR environment. Seriously, I'd love to just plop premade buildings and trees onto a table without having to physically do it IRL. Even with MapTools, I hated how I had to setup what was visual and what wasn't, when I could do the same thing in a 3D environment and just lock the player camera to the mini or minis. Although, I'm not sure how the miniature scanning will survive, since I can see a lot of IP complaints from miniature manufacturers. Theoretically, you could just be able to plop in any premade model as a virtual mini, so it might even be superfluous to scan a physical miniature in.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Young Freud posted:

The "scanning your minis" and the 3D tabletop looks cool, but I can totally do without the whole VR environment. Seriously, I'd love to just plop premade buildings and trees onto a table without having to physically do it IRL. Even with MapTools, I hated how I had to setup what was visual and what wasn't, when I could do the same thing in a 3D environment and just lock the player camera to the mini or minis. Although, I'm not sure how the miniature scanning will survive, since I can see a lot of IP complaints from miniature manufacturers. Theoretically, you could just be able to plop in any premade model as a virtual mini, so it might even be superfluous to scan a physical miniature in.

Wouldn't scanning in your own minis in be how they dodge IP complaints? The creators could just ay they don't officially endorse people scanning GW minis into their game, but then totally allow it to happen.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The lawnmower man but they playin warhammer

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Wouldn't scanning in your own minis in be how they dodge IP complaints? The creators could just ay they don't officially endorse people scanning GW minis into their game, but then totally allow it to happen.

True. But it could be possible to reverse engineer the minis' design from the scan, at least, that's what they could argue in court. Miniature wargaming is both a niche market and a gigantic one, with guys like GW and WizKids/Topps, that those colossal rights holders will quickly jump on anything that might cost them money from said small market.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Young Freud posted:

There is a "game" on Steam called Tabletop Simulator that is something like that. It's early access but seems well done so far, and there's a lot of potential for catering for tabletop miniature nerds. Also there is a dedicated flip table button.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/286160/

wa27 has a new favorite as of 17:53 on Dec 8, 2014

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

wa27 posted:

There is a "game" on Steam early access called Tabletop Simulator that is something like that. It's early access but seems well done so far, and there's a lot of potential for catering for tabletop miniature nerds. Also there is a dedicated flip table button.

Table Top nerds have cash though. Few people can justify spending huge amounts of cash, but table top nerds will drop $100 for a good board game they play maybe 4 times a year and $500 on a Warhammer army.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

wa27 posted:

There is a "game" on Steam early access called Tabletop Simulator that is something like that. It's early access but seems well done so far, and there's a lot of potential for catering for tabletop miniature nerds. Also there is a dedicated flip table button.

This is pro click.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

wa27 posted:

There is a "game" on Steam called Tabletop Simulator that is something like that. It's early access but seems well done so far, and there's a lot of potential for catering for tabletop miniature nerds. Also there is a dedicated flip table button.

Yeah, this looks more like what I'm looking for. Although, I would really like something that I could play something like Necromunda/Urban War or Battletech or similar single unit tactical miniatures game, where you can build giant multi-story towers and expect people to fight from them, so identifying sight lines and what proportion you can of the figure you can see from that position.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Otisburg posted:

Playing tabletop miniature and roleplaying games remotely is pretty much a solved problem (VASSAL, various RPG VTTs).

But let's remove the advantages and streamlining of moving tabletop games into a digital presentation, and add a gimpy waldo-arm interface and Occulus VR to inject faux "authenticity" (along with sub-1990's quality textures and animation) for the worst of BOTH worlds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAUkGxaLVfE

Kind of a cheat since the KS isn't up (this is a video promoting a KS to go up on the 15th.)

To be honest, even though I'm not a Warham nerd, I thought that they would be the first to develop something for google glass to create "virtual" battlefields rather than building one, and somehow make it able to read a scale so it could calculate measurements on the fly etc.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Relive the popular operativsystem XP!

Wheel that use gravity to move forward

Not sure who this is for or what it really even is. Some kind of social network?

Heelys, but somehow stupider.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This is too meta for me.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Shadoer posted:

Table Top nerds have cash though. Few people can justify spending huge amounts of cash, but table top nerds will drop $100 for a good board game they play maybe 4 times a year and $500 on a Warhammer army.

500? What do you think what year it is, 1995? I haven't actually checked in a while but even then 500 got you exactly nowhere. And they keep raising prices.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

:smug: < that guy after submitting that kickstarter

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

First time I saw the example picture it looked like they were screwed into the guy's leg.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!
What happened to common decency? You pretend to break thermodynamics, you do it with an elaborate contraption of spinning magnets and tesla coils or a fluidic circuit or something that at least looks nifty enough to distract from what a waste of time it is. Not a tire full of pistons. Perpetual motion devices need panache, goddamnit.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

quote:

This project is likely to fail, but if not, it will be great for mankind!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Can't fault him for his spot-on assessment.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Morglon posted:

500? What do you think what year it is, 1995? I haven't actually checked in a while but even then 500 got you exactly nowhere. And they keep raising prices.

Yeah I played GW games back in like 2001ish. The other week I was speaking to someone who still plays and they were telling me about the prices nowadays - a box of PLASTIC marines that used to be like £10 or something is now about £50, a metal figure that was £12 is now plastic and £35, it is utterly insane. I cannot imagine anyone I played with back then when we were students ever being able to afford to play at those kind of prices. I guess they're going for upper middle class children as their sole target market?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The price of both metal and plastic has gone up, though of course not enough to justify GW's ever more absurd price hikes.

Even if that were the best possible implementation of the VIRTUAL REALITY TABLETOP, they are targeting a market of people who are passionate enough about tabletop gaming to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on white metal miniatures and passionate enough about PC gaming to own an unusual piece of VR-headset hardware and so starved for tabletop experience that they'll pledge to a software solution to do it Lawnmower Man style rather than just setting up a game in their basement or FLGS (in spite of having spent the aforementioned small fortune on little pewter men presumably because they like the physical immediacy of playing with their dolls in an actual, extant space).

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

TARDISman posted:

First time I saw the example picture it looked like they were screwed into the guy's leg.

I actually thought it was a concealed bong.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

An "easy to carry water pipe" would probably be a much more successful kickstarter.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I feel kinda bad for this guy, he seems like just a genuine inventor type who is a little naive, who spent a whole lot of time and effort working on an idea that seemed kinda cool to him. He looks like he's a doctor or a dentist or something and he made the thing out of spare parts around the clinic in his spare time.

He doesn't realize that kickstarter is a terrible place where dreams die :ohdear:

On the other hand somebody needs to get real and tell him that nobody ever wants plastic fold-out rollerskates. They just look way too flimsy. I guess maybe the idea is they'd be replaced with aluminum or something in the real production version, (and this is just a prototype maybe) but they're still going to make you look like Forrest Gump, as opposed to Heelys which at least fold up and hide your shame.

Paladinus posted:

I actually thought it was a concealed bong.

Didn't somebody start a kickstarter to build that collapsible thermos bong from Cabin in the Woods?

moerketid posted:

Yeah I played GW games back in like 2001ish. The other week I was speaking to someone who still plays and they were telling me about the prices nowadays - a box of PLASTIC marines that used to be like £10 or something is now about £50, a metal figure that was £12 is now plastic and £35, it is utterly insane. I cannot imagine anyone I played with back then when we were students ever being able to afford to play at those kind of prices. I guess they're going for upper middle class children as their sole target market?

At this point I'm starting to think GW can't possibly do that much business anymore. They don't update the figs very often, the people who do play already have huge armies for the most part, and its so INSANELY expensive I can't imagine anybody (except maybe a very few tiny niche people) getting into it.

Most hobby stores probably just keep their GW stock around because it looks cool, never actually selling it or needing to order more, because what the hell :v:

When I was a kid I thought 40k was really cool but I got into Mage Knight instead because holy poo poo GW is expensive, no kids can afford that. So its purely for neckbeard grognards who have nothing better to spend their paychecks on. Maybe that's a bigger market than I thought...

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zaphod42 posted:

When I was a kid I thought 40k was really cool but I got into Mage Knight instead because holy poo poo GW is expensive, no kids can afford that. So its purely for neckbeard grognards who have nothing better to spend their paychecks on. Maybe that's a bigger market than I thought...

Son, let me tell you about hobby trains...

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Zaphod42 posted:

At this point I'm starting to think GW can't possibly do that much business anymore. They don't update the figs very often, the people who do play already have huge armies for the most part, and its so INSANELY expensive I can't imagine anybody (except maybe a very few tiny niche people) getting into it.

Most hobby stores probably just keep their GW stock around because it looks cool, never actually selling it or needing to order more, because what the hell :v:

GW is MEGAFUCKED, there's a bit thread in trad games talking about it, they're pretty much running a death pool and waiting for the day the company collapses and (presumably) the IP is snapped up by some big toy company and the entire range retooled

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Fatkraken posted:

GW is MEGAFUCKED, there's a bit thread in trad games talking about it, they're pretty much running a death pool and waiting for the day the company collapses and (presumably) the IP is snapped up by some big toy company and the entire range retooled

A day of days that will be.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
I wonder what the odds are that NECA/Wizkids will snap it up and fold it into HeroClix like they did with Mageknight. Granted, Mageknight's clix figures are neat, but I know two people who have them. Still, smart business decisions aren't really NECA's forte.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fatkraken posted:

GW has income from things like the video games they've licensed so even if their stupidly overpriced minis stop selling they can shrink down and just rent out the IP for books and games for however long.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Evil Fluffy posted:

GW has income from things like the video games they've licensed so even if their stupidly overpriced minis stop selling they can shrink down and just rent out the IP for books and games for however long.

Its fun to reflect at this moment that Blizzard wanted to pay money to GW for warcraft.

:lol:

GW finally started putting out some decent licensed games of their own like ten years later, but can you imagine? If Warcraft: Orcs and Humans was called Warhammer Fantasy Battles and Starcraft was Warhammer 40K the RTS, then World of Warcraft would have been Warhammer Online instead and GW would be earning millions of dollars of royalties every single month.

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.
http://www.gofundme.com/i9h4dc

quote:

If you wnat to give me cash or laptops or mtgo tix thats cool too. do you have an extra house, that is allso something that i would take.

You know, if you have an extra house lying around it wouldn't be any trouble for me to take it off your hands.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

darkspider42 posted:

http://www.gofundme.com/i9h4dc

You know, if you have an extra house lying around it wouldn't be any trouble for me to take it off your hands.

No harm in asking! v:v:v

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Its fun to reflect at this moment that Blizzard wanted to pay money to GW for warcraft.

:lol:

GW finally started putting out some decent licensed games of their own like ten years later, but can you imagine? If Warcraft: Orcs and Humans was called Warhammer Fantasy Battles and Starcraft was Warhammer 40K the RTS, then World of Warcraft would have been Warhammer Online instead and GW would be earning millions of dollars of royalties every single month.

I see people saying that all the time, but was Warcraft/Starcraft supposed to be an actual licensed game? I just assumed that Blizz was creatively bankrupt because loving everything in their games is hugely derivative of something else since they focus entirely on gameplay and don't worry about the story until the last minute.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Don Gato posted:

I see people saying that all the time, but was Warcraft/Starcraft supposed to be an actual licensed game? I just assumed that Blizz was creatively bankrupt because loving everything in their games is hugely derivative of something else since they focus entirely on gameplay and don't worry about the story until the last minute.

It didn't happen exactly like that, no. The original idea was a Warhammer game and I think they did talk to GW about it, but from what I've read the main reason they instead just chose to rip the poo poo off wasn't because GW told them no but more because they wouldn't have to pay GW any money or give them any creative control.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Don Gato posted:

http://kotaku.com/5929161/how-warcraft-was-almost-a-warhammer-game-and-how-that-saved-wow

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

LOL The last line.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Donkey Kong was originally going to be a King Kong game but they couldn't get the license so they just made this shameless ripoff about a giant ape carrying a woman up a skyscraper, what a bunch of unoriginal hacks those Nintendo guys are :rolleyes:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Donkey Kong was originally going to be a King Kong game but they couldn't get the license so they just made this shameless ripoff about a giant ape carrying a woman up a skyscraper, what a bunch of unoriginal hacks those Nintendo guys are :rolleyes:

:goonsay: Actually, it was originally going to be a Popeye game. And besides, the decision of Universal City Studios, Inc. v. Nintendo Co., Ltd. showed that King Kong was actually in the public domain at the time.

Waffleman_ has a new favorite as of 03:33 on Dec 10, 2014

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Blizzard don't need you to defend their honor, they have millions upon millions of dollars to keep them warm at night.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

The example shown in the youtube video is a scanned mummy from the GW line, so I don't think they thought that part through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
It came from YKS! But it looked suitably awful so I thought I'd share.

quote:

A Vibrant Picture Book, Informing Children Of The Dangers Of GMO Foods, and the benefits of real, healthy alternatives!

[insert my usual goony screed about how people have been genetically modifying plants for millenia here]