Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

People have insane expectations of valve and tf2 for some reason. They honestly expect that valve would have hired voice actors, modelers, etc just to improve a tf2 community event.
Valve actually did offer to bring in the TF2 voice cast for the video, but the director wanted to keep things silent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

People call me Pine! (Pine!)
Eastern Venus Space Police.
If there's slime, (There's slime!)
Involved in a crime, (Bad crime!)
We'll clean them up on the beat! (The beat!)
I opened two EOTL crates, just because I want McVee to get some money. I regret it, but at least I sold the crap I got while it's still hot.

Why does the Hunter Heavy have to clip with the Purity Fist, though? :( There are like 4 jackets that thing works with, it sucks.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

People have insane expectations of valve and tf2 for some reason. They honestly expect that valve would have hired voice actors, modelers, etc just to improve a tf2 community event.

I'm sure valves' logic was a lot closer to "look how little work we'll have to do but we get to add something fun to tf2 lets do it" and it seems people here would have rather not gotten anything if it wasn't "good enough."

I totally agree. I just want valve to keep the game alive. The valve servers are amazing for this. I understand people enjoy the events/updates and that is a good way of engaging the playerbase. The way people talk about it though (on reddit etc -I know, I know) is like they are owed some thing?

Even I as coffin dodger who actually paid money for tf2 (even though it was in the best value package ever that was the orange box) don't think this.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
that video was ace and the direction for the action sublime. good job community people!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it doesn't actually matter if the update is free or whatever the gently caress, people can and will make fun of it if it's just going to be a gutted husk with a 5 dollar number counter that makes noise. i've never been sure where the whole 'DON'T INSULT SOMETHING THAT'S FREE!!!' line of thinking came from but it's pretty poo poo and i'd much rather have people criticizing things like valve canceling the map out of nowhere or showing their displeasure with the 5 dollar skinner box instead of more updates like this coming out because most everyone decided to stick their thumbs up their rear end and go WELL AT LEAST WE'RE GETTING ATTENTION. no attention is better than bad attention.

the short was the only remotely decent part of the update, and that's because it was really the only thing that got in.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

no attention is better than bad attention.

the short was the only remotely decent part of the update, and that's because it was really the only thing that got in.

So you think the main part of the update was good but would rather have had no update at all?

Like are you just that angry that valve added a way for the movie makers to make money? Or mad the movie was on the website? Or what?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Trabisnikof posted:

So you think the main part of the update was good but would rather have had no update at all?

Like are you just that angry that valve added a way for the movie makers to make money? Or mad the movie was on the website? Or what?

End of the Line was being made before Valve offered to help out, remember that the animating team had full plans to release it independently. He's talking about the actual game-related part of the update that sucks. End of the Line was going to come out either way.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it might surprise you, but 'remotely decent' is a very low bar to step over. it's not like it changes the other 90% of my post you cut out, in any case. the animation was going to exist no matter what and i'd much rather that it just came out by itself so people could go 'oh that was okay i guess' for a couple of hours until they forgot about it.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I liked the movie, and I don't mind them cutting the map and weapons if the map and weapons were poo poo. Maybe they weren't communicative enough about that, but at the end of the day, I'd rather have no new weapons than terrible new weapons. Honestly all I expected out of this was the movie itself, and a few cosmetic souvenirs. They did that!

The duck thing, on the other hand, is pretty dumb. But it's opt-in, and they didn't even try to hype it as a big fun thing on the update page. They didn't even mention it on the update page! I'll just pretend it doesn't exist. It's not a weapon or a map, so it doesn't have any effect on my play experience if I don't want it to.

I'm holding out hope that there'll be some good stuff this christmas. And I count 2013-style weapon revamps as "good stuff" for sure.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

it doesn't actually matter if the update is free or whatever the gently caress, people can and will make fun of it if it's just going to be a gutted husk with a 5 dollar number counter that makes noise. i've never been sure where the whole 'DON'T INSULT SOMETHING THAT'S FREE!!!' line of thinking came from but it's pretty poo poo and i'd much rather have people criticizing things like valve canceling the map out of nowhere or showing their displeasure with the 5 dollar skinner box instead of more updates like this coming out because most everyone decided to stick their thumbs up their rear end and go WELL AT LEAST WE'RE GETTING ATTENTION. no attention is better than bad attention.

I enjoy the game for the underlying mechanics, that is why I still play it after all these years. It is completely unique in the fps genre.

The events/updates are just fluff that I personally ignore but understand other people enjoy so fair enough but getting pissed off about them seems incredibly petty in what year 7?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Trabisnikof posted:

He is disappointed because this was a subpar update, when it could have been an excellent update with more work or an excellent video with less work.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Looking forward to Quack and Dagger spies.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's amazing how quickly the response to that turned into U MAD BRO??? given that really most of what i said is that people are going to complain about mediocre or worse poo poo because it's mediocre or bad and there's genuinely no point in trying to drown it out with worthless white noise.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

it's amazing how quickly the response to that turned into U MAD BRO??? given that really most of what i said is that people are going to complain about mediocre or worse poo poo because it's mediocre or bad and there's genuinely no point in trying to drown it out with worthless white noise.

Then you reduced their argument to an internet meme, so how about we all just calm down?

EDIT: I mean, I agree with your point and everything, but not when you start flinging insults around, you know? You're on nobody's side. Everyone disagrees with you.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 9, 2014

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Seriously? You completely missed my point dude.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i know that goons like to overreact to internet memes, but for the purposes of this just pretend that i typed that phrase in the first place because it's no different than the weird poo poo goons do all the time when anything says anything negative about anything they like.

i for one look forward to the snowflake counter we will be able to purchase during the winter holiday.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ariong posted:

He is disappointed because this was a subpar update, when it could have been an excellent update with more work or an excellent video with less work.

How could they have done more for less work? When valve didn't even make the video?

Most of the update seemed centered around "fun" ways to get the movie and model makers money. I guess if you are arguing that valve shouldn't try to do that or should have paid the moviemakers and the modelers themselves that makes some amount of sense.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
You're certainly allowed to get mad at free stuff, but in this case getting mad is purely elective. You can literally ignore the entire update if you don't like it, unless wacky signs and duck gibs really grind your gears.

What I suspect most of the unhappy people are reacting to is disappointment with expectations that Valve set too high. That's unfortunate, and a bit of an own-goal on Valve's part. But once you get past that (and at this point, we should know Valve misfires on these things sometimes), you can pretty much pretend it never happened. Would that all badly-handled TF2 updates were that way.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

does the movie creator even get money from the bonus duck sales.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i know that goons like to overreact to internet memes, but for the purposes of this just pretend that i typed that phrase in the first place because it's no different than the weird poo poo goons do all the time when anything says anything negative about anything they like.

i for one look forward to the snowflake counter we will be able to purchase during the winter holiday.

Don't buy anything and the update can't hurt you.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

The Kins posted:

While hats obviously get more money, apparently the money for maps has increased in recent years:
Yes, this was news to me too.

Looks like the rate has more than doubled since the early days of steel and freight.

Or they are they are just bad maps and were paid accordingly.

TiCK
Jan 1, 2001

I want you to tap me as hard as you can.

Ariong posted:

I take issue with the last thing. What, exactly where you expecting? I thought the video was pretty good. Not good enough to devote an update to, but still. It's unreasonable to expect it to shape up to one made by people who have been working with these models and the tool used to animate them for years with more development time and original voice acting.

Then why push it as an official update? Give it a saxxy or something.

Look at the post I quoted. People had completely unrealistic expectations of this update. Maybe they next patch can have a Star Citizen tie in with bitcoin support.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Kins posted:

Valve actually did offer to bring in the TF2 voice cast for the video, but the director wanted to keep things silent.

Pretty big failure on the part of the movie makers then, because some of the scenes were really drat awkward. The segment where red tries to come up with a defensive strategy is super bad.

They should either have taken the voice acting, or restructured the scenes so they didn't feel like someone forgot to add the audio track.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I dunno. The guys working on the update basically said "we're trying to get two or three new non-reskin weapons added, and a map to go with it, as well as some new cosmetic stuff". They said it wasn't 100% that all of that was going to happen, but we knew they were trying.

Apparently the one new weapon they were working on that Valve liked was released last major patch, and then the map that was already in the game and being playtested gets removed and we just get some cosmetic stuff.

It's reasonable to be disappointed if you were following the buildup to this update. A map we already had access to and were led to believe we were balance testing to have it added officially got removed from the game entirely. We lost content with this update.

TF2's been kind of underwhelming about adding new content lately, in general.

As for the short itself, it was great. It didn't need voice acting to hold your hand and tell you what was going on or whatever. It wasn't Valve quality, but it also didn't take them like four years to produce, so that's a point in their favor that Valve can't manage to do.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

They didn't add that Soldier coat, I don't know why that's like the centerpiece villain cosmetic for the best class and they didn't add it to the game.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Trabisnikof posted:

How could they have done more for less work? When valve didn't even make the video?

Most of the update seemed centered around "fun" ways to get the movie and model makers money. I guess if you are arguing that valve shouldn't try to do that or should have paid the moviemakers and the modelers themselves that makes some amount of sense.

I meant that if this was all the content that could be put into the game, it should have just been a really good video and people would have enjoyed that.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

That, or maybe you could entertain the notion that people are putting thought into the things they type and not just brush them off as mindlessly defending something because they disagree with you. The whole "Goons, am i right? :rolleyes:" thing is really offputting and implies that the people who aren't on your side are that way because they are all the same kind of person, and therefore unreasonable, and therefore wrong.

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

Reiley posted:

They didn't add that Soldier coat, I don't know why that's like the centerpiece villain cosmetic for the best class and they didn't add it to the game.

They accidently imported another cosmetic instead of it. Yes, really.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Magypsy posted:

what? What?????

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Magypsy posted:

I miss the A Team. I liked the Festive weapons that were basically just a weapon but gift-wrapped.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Kelp Plankton posted:

I dunno. The guys working on the update basically said "we're trying to get two or three new non-reskin weapons added, and a map to go with it, as well as some new cosmetic stuff". They said it wasn't 100% that all of that was going to happen, but we knew they were trying.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. People said stuff was going to be in. Then it didn't get in. Now people are disappointed.

It's a reasonable thing to be disappointed about.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Does McVee work for valve?

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

Reiley posted:

what? What?????

According to Void Skull on Facepunch:

quote:

It was supposed to be. The Coldfront Curbstompers weren't. They got cut a few weeks ago, but somehow took the place of the coat. Not sure what happened, but it's too late to remove the Curbstompers again, maybe tomorrow's damage control will be running some swift justice on the coat.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Trabisnikof posted:

Does McVee work for valve?

No, the EotL video was a community-created thing.

Although IIRC he professionally does similar cutscene stuff for Bethesda. I might be thinking of a different SFM-er though.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

No, the EotL video was a community-created thing.

Although IIRC he professionally does similar cutscene stuff for Bethesda. I might be thinking of a different SFM-er though.

Did anyone from valve actually hype the update? Or was it just the people who made the video and might have misunderstood what was happening with the update?

A lot of the anger seems to be about the hype and beyond the crates I didn't notice valve hype it at all. So I'm wondering if the videomakers were in on some early discussions with valve and mistook "yeah lets do that" for "we are committing to do that" which is a pretty common miscommunication honestly. Claiming valve would let them do whatever they wanted with the weapons is kinda a red flag.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Pretty sure McVee does not work for Valve and therefore shouldn't promise things like that if he can't guarantee it. It's not a good update, but it's all on him for making people think this update would have the map and weapons without having Valves confirmation that they were accepted.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Asuron posted:

Pretty sure McVee does not work for Valve and therefore shouldn't promise things like that if he can't guarantee it. It's not a good update, but it's all on him for making people think this update would have the map and weapons without having Valves confirmation that they were accepted.

He's not overstepping if Valve told him they would do it. In that case his answer to a perfectly reasonable question was a perfectly reasonable answer.

Unfortunately it's unlikely either party is going to give a straight answer on what really happened so we're just gonna have to live with internet speculation and fantasy writing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Kins posted:

Which was dumb because the video wasn't good enough to justify the entire thing being silent

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Slime posted:

Want an orphan kitten buddy as a cosmetic option.
Well there's the Pocket Purrer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I thought the movie was nice as a silent thing, I appreciated it being sort of artful in that respect. It let the characters' expressions do the talking for them. I actually almost had a chance to have the hat item I made a long time ago end up in this thing but something went wrong and someone remade the idea I guess, so that's sort of a bittersweet element of this thing for me....... the item that could have been...........

• Locked thread