Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lol you guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Koobze posted:

Sorry that my threadshitting doesn't reach SomethingAwful's high level of standards.
At least I had more fun drinking whiskey and making my gif than anyone else had trying to play Error Message 2014.

It was a good gif.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Koobze posted:

Sorry that my threadshitting doesn't reach SomethingAwful's high level of standards.
At least I had more fun drinking whiskey and making my gif than anyone else had trying to play Error Message 2014.

I was playing last night and haven't had any issue outside of having to launch the game via its executable instead of through steam :shrug:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I'm here to bring the shitposting to good levels.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
omg winter update!!

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Ahundredbux posted:

Enjoyment will go up a whole loving lot when the first mod that doubles or tripples digging speed though, I can tell you that.

Yeah it's almost certainly too slow and needs to be changed. In the meantime, instead of waiting for a mod, you can use "/spawnitem beamaxe4". (or anything from beamaxe1 through beamaxe3 if you don't want the endgame version)

Bob NewSCART posted:

It was a good gif.

honestly it was a highlight

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 17, 2014

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
even the nightly updates aren't even that interesting tbh tho

It really feels like the same game as it did when it came out which is confusing to me

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Smoremaster posted:

They made the game a lot more tedious so it takes you longer to realize there's no new content. :ssh:

wait hold on are we talking about destiny or starbound? which thread am i in

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Eonwe posted:

even the nightly updates aren't even that interesting tbh tho

It really feels like the same game as it did when it came out which is confusing to me

A lot of stuff just isn't user-facing. Like the new lua API, a recent feature one of the programmers just finished, that she didn't even mention anywhere but the modding channel. Something about "completely changed the underlying lua engine while 100% supporting existing scripts". As she said, "the visible changes are absolutely completely nothing", except for performance and a bunch of other technical benefits like "we can now use lua functions and threads from c++ and use real lua userdata". And this also affects the scriptable GUI somehow I don't really know. :iiam:

So we look at the nightly, and all we see is some dumb animal costume but that doesn't mean nothing has changed.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Supernorn posted:

The fact is, with a few exceptions you sucked any fun out of me posting here. I wasn't required to. I'm a goon that just happens to be contributing to a game that I enjoy working on. You can't really expect me to take this thread seriously when you guys are just showing utter contempt towards me, the game or any reasonable means towards a discussion. So I'm going to peace out and you guys can continue doing whatever it is you think this is. Merry Christmas!

Happy Chanukkah.

NotALizardman posted:

wait hold on are we talking about destiny or starbound? which thread am i in

Eventually all bad games look the same.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Bauxite posted:

I was playing last night and haven't had any issue outside of having to launch the game via its executable instead of through steam :shrug:

That's exactly what I was doing :(

The rough part is that I actually wanted to play the drat game and couldn't. Perhaps if I had just deleted it and reinstalled from scratch, but I am on hotel internet and that would take 12 hours.

We are all just StarBound's angry, bitter ex-girlfriends.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Star Citizen
Wildstar
Starbound

never making a fuckin kickstarter game with the word "star" in it thats for sure

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

XboxPants posted:

A lot of stuff just isn't user-facing. Like the new lua API, a recent feature one of the programmers just finished, that she didn't even mention anywhere but the modding channel. Something about "completely changed the underlying lua engine while 100% supporting existing scripts". As she said, "the visible changes are absolutely completely nothing", except for performance and a bunch of other technical benefits like "we can now use lua functions and threads from c++ and use real lua userdata". And this also affects the scriptable GUI somehow I don't really know. :iiam:

So we look at the nightly, and all we see is some dumb animal costume but that doesn't mean nothing has changed.

Clap your hands if you believe!

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

AceClown posted:

Star Citizen
Wildstar
Starbound

never making a fuckin kickstarter game with the word "star" in it thats for sure

I dunno, look at how much money star citizen got.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

beautiful.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Bauxite posted:

I dunno, look at how much money star citizen got.

ok change the quote to "definitely making a kickstarter game with "star" in the title and milking space nerds for gently caress tons of cash"

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah make a Star Game but don't actually "make" a star game

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Where's that goon star citizen spreadsheet so we can laugh at all the motherfuckers who're dumber than us

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Koobze posted:

That's exactly what I was doing :(

The rough part is that I actually wanted to play the drat game and couldn't. Perhaps if I had just deleted it and reinstalled from scratch, but I am on hotel internet and that would take 12 hours.

We are all just StarBound's angry, bitter ex-girlfriends.

Did you clean out your files for the new nightly? (the config, the universe folder, the player folder, etc, all the same ones you always have to do)

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I hope Norn takes his time off this thread to finish the SS13 remake.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Elth posted:

I hope Norn takes his time off this thread to finish the SS13 remake.

wait, he's the guy who's also doing the ss13 remake? welp :suicide:

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

XboxPants posted:

Did you clean out your files for the new nightly? (the config, the universe folder, the player folder, etc, all the same ones you always have to do)

Nope, I had no idea I had to do that. Where does it mention this? It's my first time trying nightly. I assumed if there were custom steps to take they'd be listed in the launcher or???

Edit: I guess the reason it "just worked" when I first installed Nightly this weekend is that I had uninstalled the game a year ago after burning out on it. So when the next nightly came out, everything broke? Still, wish there was something somewhere going "hey you need to do this for this game to only crash due to bugs and not user-error"

Koobze fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 17, 2014

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Koobze posted:

Nope, I had no idea I had to do that. Where does it mention this? It's my first time trying nightly. I assumed if there were custom steps to take they'd be listed in the launcher or???

well see, this is starbound, not a "game" that's supposed to be "playable"

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
Starbound confirmed for being depression quest 2

this time, it was the buyers who was cucked.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
I just realised this means I have been Cucked :smithicide:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Koobze posted:

Edit: I guess the reason it "just worked" when I first installed Nightly is that I had uninstalled the game a year ago after burning out on it. So when the next nightly came out, everything broke? Still, wish there was something somewhere going "hey you need to do this for this game to only crash due to bugs and not user-error"

Yeah for something that is gonna happen to everyone, it should probably just be mentioned in the launcher (assuming the launcher is ever fixed :haw:).

Other than that, it doesn't mention it anywhere obvious short of going to a search engine and googling "starbound nightly crash", other than that probably you'd have to go onto their official forums looking for support. http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/nightly-builds-not-launching-check-here-first.81537/ Reddit & steam forums both have a similar thread.

I guess they didn't bother 'cause they figure anyone using nightlies is the type of person who is going to be using their site for feedback and looking up bugs and poo poo anyway.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 17, 2014

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

XboxPants posted:

Yeah for something that is gonna happen to everyone, it should probably just be mentioned in the launcher (assuming the launcher is ever fixed :haw:).

Other than that, I guess other than just googling "starbound nightly crash" you'd have to go onto their official forums looking for support. http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/nightly-builds-not-launching-check-here-first.81537/ Reddit & steam forums both have a similar thread.

You aren't clapping hard enough!

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Koobze posted:

Edit: I guess the reason it "just worked" when I first installed Nightly this weekend is that I had uninstalled the game a year ago after burning out on it. So when the next nightly came out, everything broke? Still, wish there was something somewhere going "hey you need to do this for this game to only crash due to bugs and not user-error"

That's weird, I've had nightly installed for the past 2 weeks or so, and I haven't had to do anything through those updates to make it work. Seems like a personal issue?

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Supernorn posted:

The fact is, with a few exceptions you sucked any fun out of me posting here. I wasn't required to. I'm a goon that just happens to be contributing to a game that I enjoy working on. You can't really expect me to take this thread seriously when you guys are just showing utter contempt towards me, the game or any reasonable means towards a discussion. So I'm going to peace out and you guys can continue doing whatever it is you think this is. Merry Christmas!

Oh my god

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

No matter what your stance is on the problematic matter that is starbound, you have to admit that this gif is loving funny and should be reposted as long as the big update isn't out

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

I like that even our resident Chucklefish apologist XBoxPants can only half-heartedly defend them anymore.

And Supernorn, lol what a bitch. Here's an alpaca, faggots

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

XboxPants posted:

Other than that, probably other than just googling "starbound nightly crash" you'd have to go onto their official forums looking for support. http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/nightly-builds-not-launching-check-here-first.81537/ Reddit & steam forums both have a similar thread.

I guess they didn't bother 'cause they figure anyone using nightlies is the type of person who is going to be using their site for feedback and looking up bugs and poo poo anyway.

Thanks. I probably should have done more digging, I did check the steam forums and saw other people had the issue but there was no resolution in that thread. And it was 10pm so I didn't want to have to do a bunch of work to get to use the product, I'm not running Linux here.

Bauxite posted:

That's weird, I've had nightly installed for the past 2 weeks or so, and I haven't had to do anything through those updates to make it work. Seems like a personal issue?

Yeah that could very well be it. It was a fresh install but I'm on my work laptop so perhaps a security policy is loving things up. If I was not in a hotel I would've just deleted all local content and reinstalled but... oh well, lesson learned. Plus I got to piss off a bunch of goons! A good night all around.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ahundredbux posted:

gently caress, booted up nightly, is mining supposed to be this slow and tedious? Feels like there's no loving ore to mine.

Tiny clusters here and there but it takes me like an hour to find enough copper for a pickaxe to make it less slow.

Did I just get unlucky with my starting planet or something?
aaay lmao

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I mean, all signs point to yes it is and being bored out of your mind is the ideal starbound experience. it's great

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Deakul posted:

In all seriousness though, I hope you brought this to the dev's attention.
They already knew about it, that NPC armor problem had been in the game for 4 days by the time I got to it

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I still have high hopes for this game and am willing to give them whatever time. Plenty of other stuff to play in the meantime. But this gif is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

CuckleFish

• Locked thread