Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

The best part is after the collision, the ram gets up and seems to be a bit wobbly. Didn't move an inch and can still get up afterwards. Hardcore little animal.

This is male goats in general. There's a story in the PI barn animals thread, I think (may be the goat thread in TFR) about an adult male goat that the poster had to throw a sack of concrete at and it got back up just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

You can't post that without sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9qSduzY3-0

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Son of Rodney posted:

You'd need to know about the surface arae of the heads and the killing velocity of a cow as well.

Holstein or Guernsey cow?

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
I feel a little bad for the calf. "Mom? Mom?!" That cow was just protecting her kid, man. :saddowns:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

kinmik posted:

I feel a little bad for the calf. "Mom? Mom?!" That cow was just protecting her kid, man. :saddowns:

Those other cows look like they want to do some pasture justice but they can't get past that fencing.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Tusen Takk posted:

Don't jews thwack a cows head to kill it humanely? I would assume that it's not super hard to do and if the ram is ~50kg running 15km/h that is quite a bit of force, possibly more than a butcher's thwack

Absolutely not. Wounded meat / carrion is not kosher.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

VendaGoat posted:

I'd honestly be interested in the mass differential between the two animals, as I could then work out just how much force and speed it would take for a ram to do that to a cow.

I don't know anything about goats/rams but is it possible their spines act like scientists theorize Pachycephalosaurus' did? Like, lining up precisely to spread out the impact, whereas the cow would take it unevenly and thus risk rupturing something?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

kinmik posted:

Calf.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Buzkashi posted:

I don't know anything about goats/rams but is it possible their spines act like scientists theorize Pachycephalosaurus' did? Like, lining up precisely to spread out the impact, whereas the cow would take it unevenly and thus risk rupturing something?

I think its much more about thickness of skull. Most male ruminants have massively thick foreheads. females don't usually.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Son of Rodney posted:

You'd need to know about the surface arae of the heads and the killing velocity of a cow as well.

Yes, if I wished to be as completely accurate as possible. However, I just want to know the mass differential so I know how fast a goat has to go to stop a cow dead in it's loving tracks man. 5 to 1? 15 to 1? Whats the average weight of a ram vs the average weight of a cow?

Buzkashi posted:

This sounds like a valid idea. I don't know enough about the subject matter to make an informed statement.

Why the gently caress are you folks egging me into serious posting?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rams continue to grow through their fourth year achieving average weights of 125 to 155 pounds for females and 135 to 180 pounds for males. A mature Holstein cow weighs about 1,500 pounds and stands 58 inches tall at the shoulder

So 10:1

FAT32 SHAMER has a new favorite as of 01:49 on Feb 10, 2015

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

VendaGoat posted:

Why the gently caress are you folks egging me into serious posting?

Well, you're vending goats, we thought maybe you had goat facts too.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Tusen Takk posted:

Don't jews thwack a cows head to kill it humanely? I would assume that it's not super hard to do and if the ram is ~50kg running 15km/h that is quite a bit of force, possibly more than a butcher's thwack

I thought stunning was strictly prohibited in kosher butchery because it counts as injuring the animal, and meat from an injured animal is not kosher. (If the stunning kills the animal, then it's not kosher because it was killed wrong).

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Tusen Takk posted:

Rams continue to grow through their fourth year achieving average weights of 125 to 155 pounds for females and 135 to 180 pounds for males. A mature Holstein cow weighs about 1,500 pounds and stands 58 inches tall at the shoulder

About 8.4 times as fast to equal the same amount of force, assuming a 180lb ram.

So if the cow moves at 3m/s the ram has to 25.2m/s which is faster than a human can run.

equal to 2056 newtons, enough to move 932 pounds one meter in a second.

Anyone feel like shoving half a ton, 3 feet?

(it's been a long time, anyone want to check that math?)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Not My Leg posted:

I thought stunning was strictly prohibited in kosher butchery because it counts as injuring the animal, and meat from an injured animal is not kosher. (If the stunning kills the animal, then it's not kosher because it was killed wrong).

I hobestly have no idea how it works but I seem to remember some religion praying over the cow then using a special hammer to thwack it on the noggin while they're praying over it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tusen Takk posted:

I hobestly have no idea how it works but I seem to remember some religion praying over the cow then using a special hammer to thwack it on the noggin while they're praying over it.

Czernobog from the book American Gods was a butcher who made a deal with Shadow to kill him the old way with a hammer. The actual Slavic god's wikipedia doesn't say anything about butchery though.

And kosher/halal slaughter involves cutting the throat with a very sharp (so as not to hurt the animal) blade and letting it bleed out.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

syscall girl posted:

Czernobog from the book American Gods was a butcher who made a deal with Shadow to kill him the old way with a hammer. The actual Slavic god's wikipedia doesn't say anything about butchery though.

And kosher/halal slaughter involves cutting the throat with a very sharp (so as not to hurt the animal) blade and letting it bleed out.

That's not a bad idea, I hear that's why everyone kills themselves with razors, since they don't hurt.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

VendaGoat posted:

About 8.4 times as fast to equal the same amount of force, assuming a 180lb ram.

So if the cow moves at 3m/s the ram has to 25.2m/s which is faster than a human can run.

equal to 2056 newtons, enough to move 932 pounds one meter in a second.

Anyone feel like shoving half a ton, 3 feet?

(it's been a long time, anyone want to check that math?)

The ram doesnt need to move the entire cow to kill it. Just project enough force in its headbutt and let the physiological differences sort out who lives.

And its always going to be the ram since they are built to do exactly that, Ram.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The ram doesnt need to move the entire cow to kill it. Just project enough force in its headbutt and let the physiological differences sort out who lives.

And its always going to be the ram since they are built to do exactly that, Ram.

Yah, I could figure out the surface areas involved and try and find out what the actual strike force of the two animals, but that's way more work then picking up a calculator and roughing some numbers out. Honestly, they probably are not even moving nearly as fast as I posted.

Isn't Physics fun?

VendaGoat has a new favorite as of 04:15 on Feb 10, 2015

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Two newest videos of wrestling gently caress ups.

http://vimeo.com/118208648

http://vimeo.com/119006707

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=385739784

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Just followin' the smell of fish, lady!

I remember my parents telling me that the current governance of 1st world countries is centred on pushing people into debt. Fucks sake, there ain't no need to push.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Wait what the gently caress!?

Granted, I haven't played CS in like 10 goddamn years but how the hell do you spend money in the game? Did it become World of Counter Strike or some poo poo?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thump! posted:

Granted, I haven't played CS in like 10 goddamn years but how the hell do you spend money in the game? Did it become World of Counter Strike or some poo poo?

They started renting AWPs by the hour.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Thump! posted:

You unlock crates, which drop when playing games, with keys which cost steam money. You can also spend up to $400 dollars on the steam market for weapon skins. Some knives goes for thousands off of the steam market(usually traded for tf2 keys or something).

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Apogee15 posted:

You unlock crates, which drop when playing games, with keys which cost steam money.

They ripped it straight from TF2?

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Phanatic posted:

Hope this helps:

http://www.cato.org/raidmap

(Yes, it's Cato. So what. It's originally Radley Balko, one of the most important journalists working in America today, whose work has straight-up gotten innocent people off of death row.)

That shows three botched raids in the last 3 years. That doesnt seem right.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

WarpedNaba posted:

They ripped it straight from TF2?

Yeah, except the skins don't make the gun shoot any differently.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

I love visual gags :)

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

those are some serious beef curtains

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Croisquessein posted:

I love visual gags :)

You like?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

On the one hand I've spent more money than I expected. ($380)

On the other hand, I'm at a net positive still because the knife I got on Christmas I sold for more money than all the money I've spent put together.

So eh not so bad? :thumbsup:

Thump! posted:

Hats2Play is Valve's business model, and its stupidly successful. They just announced they're opening up the whole item drop system for non-valve games to participate. :signings:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Instant Jellyfish posted:

It's a ram, not a goat. I have both and the rams are way more dangerous in a fight. My little 120 lb ram can take on my 200+ lb goat buck no problem, mostly because they have different fighting styles.

Have a ram taking out a motorcycle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrhfClIcfYM

That angry ram has his own youtube channel and it's hilarious. There's one where they rig up a punching bag and he hits it so hard it breaks away from the chain and hits the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVCR29aE_OQ

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

kinmik posted:

Why did you have to write this? Now I feel sad. :smith:

Gorilla Salad posted:

That angry ram has his own youtube channel and it's hilarious. There's one where they rig up a punching bag and he hits it so hard it breaks away from the chain and hits the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVCR29aE_OQ
Thank you for this, the video is just great. :neckbeard:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

What kind of sheep is that? I was watching the other videos and the bloody thing is massive compared to his dog. Based on my phone googling it might be an arapawa which are apparently rare so idk

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

kalstrams posted:

Thank you for this, the video is just great. :neckbeard:

Angry ram vs a 6 ton digger. The sound from the cab on the first hit is amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk1fUzkqwbQ

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

VendaGoat posted:

Angry ram vs a 6 ton digger. The sound from the cab on the first hit is amazing.
Ah jesus, my sides. This ram is amazing. :D

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

VendaGoat posted:

I'm surprised every tree in that area doesn't have imprints of that thing's face in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

A_Bluenoser posted:

As an ex-pat Canadian living in Houston I classify Houston drivers into two categories: those who don't know a turn indicator can be turned on and those who don't know a turn indicator can be turned off.

So how much time do you spend around beltway 8 and bellaire blvd?

• Locked thread