Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I hadn't considered using traps but that's not a bad idea. I've got a poo poo ton of detonators and dynamite for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Sjonnar posted:

Instakills you from offscreen before you're even aware it exists. As has been said, this is legitimately bad game design, particularly so in a game which offers an ironman mode.

Example: I've died three times to petrify, and only survived one other time because i was in my hellevator and unpetrified before i hit bottom. At no point have i ever actually seen a medusa. I have seen medusa guts sometimes when my dragon kills them, but never once saw the living mob.

On the plus side, it's almost certainly going to be fixed in a patch.

Are you playing the game at a low resolution or something? I've never gotten petrified from offscreen and I play at 1920x1080.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can someone explain to me how NPCs interact with stairs? I can't figure out why they won't use this staircase properly;

They just walk up to the middle and than fall off. I have no clue why. If they're gonna be this finicky about a perfectly functional set of stairs then maybe I should just shove them into prison cubes.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I think there was something in the changelog about NPCs not being able to go up or down stairs anymore so they can't get stuck outside their rooms. Which is rather silly.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I thought I took a screenshot but I'm afraid words will have to suffice for this. The Terrarian with yo-yo bag is absolutely INSANE. I just finished a Pumpkin Moon where I had wave 15 go on for at least 3 minutes. At the end, it was a hilarious moshpit with 5-6 pumpkin kings and an equal number of mourning woods all clumped up with me standing in the center holding the yo-yo over the mess. Thanks to the cross necklace, they couldn't damage me faster than I could kill one and get all my life back from the hearts. I ended up getting 3.5 plat and 2 gold chests full of loot after it was all over.

I did that in shroomite armor; I really should look into a melee armor set so I actually get some bonuses for the yo-yo.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Pakled posted:

Are you playing the game at a low resolution or something? I've never gotten petrified from offscreen and I play at 1920x1080.

Nope. Same 1920 x 1080

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

The wiki says that you can avoid getting medusa'd by looking away from her when you see her snakehair going crazy. Just shut your eyes real right when you're traveling.

They are definitely going to be needing medusa at some point soon though. Maybe shorten the range, increase the windo of time for the animation to avoid it, or require line of sight, or all of the above

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

jetz0r posted:

The snowball cannon carried me through a lot of the early-mid pre-hardmode game. Solid damage and near infinite ammo were a huge upgrade to the bows and crap I was able to craft or find.

15k rounds from one stack of snow blocks that can be farmed by bombing out a pit in the cold biome. Never stop shooting snowballs.

That's exactly why I love it, spend 5 minutes ripping through a trench and never worry about ammo again. Plus you not only kill the monsters, you kill their dignity.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Nuebot posted:

Which ammo have infinite versions now?
Musket balls and arrows.

Ashsaber posted:

I just calculated how much it would cost to make both of the endless ammo items if you didn't have any of either, and it comes to just shy of 5 gold total, around 2 for the arrows and 2.75 or so for the musket balls. Not really a bad price for being able to run around shooting your gun/bow literally forever if you feel like it. Especially seeing as how Ranged is the DPS attack stat in the first place.
I use my megashark for scouting, the bullets light up areas as they pass through. I'd go through a lot of ammo without the infinite bag of musket balls.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Akett posted:

I think there was something in the changelog about NPCs not being able to go up or down stairs anymore so they can't get stuck outside their rooms. Which is rather silly.

So what, its impossible for me to have NPCs travel between floors with that layout? That sucks.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Sjonnar posted:

On the plus side, it's almost certainly going to be fixed in a patch.

Probably the same patch which will inevitably nerf yo-yos. :smith:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
:catstare:

Sometimes I hate this game.

Like when, during a Solar Eclipse, a Deadly Sphere drops a Mythical Deadly Sphere Staff... and before I can safely pick it up, it despawns.

Or when a Mothron finally spawns right at the end of the Eclipse, flies around for a bit, then simply flies away like a douche. I want to upgrade from my Kraken dammit!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

This thing is an absolutely chaotic mess and I love it.

And despite not having stairways between the individual floors, my NPCs still find ways to visit with each other.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
So I'm playing around with actuators and I guess it doesn't count as a door so all my NPCs got deported

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Is that.. hay? It doesn't look nearly as disgustingly out of place as I'd guess.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I really wish players could sit down like NPCs can. It wouldn't even need to have any actual function, I just think it would be cool.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Xenaero posted:

So I'm playing around with actuators and I guess it doesn't count as a door so all my NPCs got deported

NPC rooms still require a door or other form of access. If you're trying to keep them wandering outside and getting murdered, just keep all the doors internal.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DoubleNegative posted:

This thing is an absolutely chaotic mess and I love it.

And despite not having stairways between the individual floors, my NPCs still find ways to visit with each other.

NPCs just love jumping down things. I put my hellshaft next to my base and get an apparent suicide probably once a day.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
When playing in full screen is there a setting I'm overlooking to keep my mouse cursor from going off-screen? This seems to be one of those games that doesn't prevent you from doing so, and will happily minimize the game if you scroll to another monitor.

Infinity Gaia posted:

On Expert Mode his head has super high defense while the arms are still alive, you pretty much HAVE to kill them first. I'd also recommend a proper arena and lightning boots or similar for his phase 2, since his headspin is now VERY quick. Also, if the world you're playing on is Crimson, I'd recommend making a secondary Corruption world just to get the Expert EoW item, which is pretty much super essential in Expert.

Might do that. In the meanwhile we went to the jungle and managed to kill the Queen Bee in a hive. The setup we use is to setup a respawn nearby and a house for the nurse. If someone's hurt and the boss isn't focused on them they run to the nurse, heal, and run back, with potions being emergency "I can't get away" items. Killing bosses in Expert gives SO MUCH MONEY though. I think I'm over a platinum already because the Queen Bee would give like 15-20 gold and then I'd get even more from the treasure bags. :iia:

Several bee kills later we all have the bee gun, two of us are using the bee armor + 3 imps, and I have the bee mount. Haven't tried skeletron yet but I'm figuring with the bee mount I can more easily avoid him and fire bees wildly since they'll turn and home in on him while my 3 imps are blasting him and his arms.

Million Ghosts posted:

setting up a Blood Moon defensible base you can get in and out of before you have a hook or climbing gear is so tedious, the NPCs are gonna be a blood sacrifice to alleviate my boredom.

Use rope and make it a floating base. You can always climb rope. Just use two sets of doors at the entrance and have it down below where NPCs live so they don't open doors to let flying enemies in.

Blackheart posted:

Well at least buckets stack now, that's a big plus.

I did not know this and I moved about 40 buckets of 1 one at a time :shepicide:

Ixjuvin posted:

The real purpose of the Drill Containment Unit is so that you can build grinders.

Because I'm going to get a Nazar if it kills me

Grinder = the big open kill rooms people make to farm items passively I take it?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

As always, this base is a WIP.

#1 all time base designing tip:
Never make the same room/building twice.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I really really dig your coloured water vats, those are awesome.

Metalocalypse
Jul 29, 2006
Unless I missed it, has anyone came up with a semi-reasonable way of getting the Skeleton Merchant to spawn? I've seen him twice in a pre-hard mode world, but never during hard mode..... I just want a yo-yo glove for my yo-yo bag.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I see him all the time while exploring, usually just above lava layer. I don't even really use yoyos on this character. :shrug:

It's probably one of those "you always find him when you don't need anything from him, and when you do he's nowhere to be found" things.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

dis astranagant posted:

Well, for the cost of those 4 stacks of lovely ammo you could have gotten 8 stacks of good ammo and if you run out you have a mirror :v:

What ammo are you making that costs 3 and a half copper a ball and is actually good?

If 2 and a half gold is somehow a big expenditure by the time you have the wizard, you need a budget for your pixel legos game.

For that 2 and a half gold (Plus the cost of the crystal ball itself, which I'll grant may not be a necessary piece of furniture for everyone), you no longer run out of ammo. I'll also grant you it's lovely ammo, but you've got room for stacks of good stuff. I carry the bag and two stacks of crystal bullets. I haven't needed the crystal ones yet, but I have them for when I do.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ok, they're 5 per round but still :v: I usually run out of inventory long before I run out of ammo.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Ass_Burgerer posted:

As always, this base is a WIP.

#1 all time base designing tip:
Never make the same room/building twice.

drat cool base dude!

Man, I always feel like my base is so boring compared to everyone else's bases. Look at the thing.

There's very few things I like about it. I kind of like the rooms I made for the first seven NPCs because I managed to personalize the rooms well before I filled them up with clutter. I kind of like how the buildings in the lower left fit the lay of the land some. I legitimately like my arcane lab I posted earlier though. The noir detective office in the upper right came out better than I expected but I feel like it's still missing something. Everything else is a mess, there were so many drat specialized crafting stations added in 1.2 that I pretty much had to cram them around haphazardly just to have places for them that I have quick enough access to.

You can see the base of my biggest disappointment to the right though, a huge tower made of demonite that manages to be boring despite my using the coolest most interesting brick in the game, lit by the coolest drat torch type in the game. The layout is a boring winding path leading up to a boring Orthanc ripoff at the top because I had no clue what I wanted to do up there. I've also got a golden tower that is mirrored in layout, but that one is even more boring because gold isn't as interesting due to not glowing and there is no lighting half as cool as demon torches.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Metalocalypse posted:

Unless I missed it, has anyone came up with a semi-reasonable way of getting the Skeleton Merchant to spawn? I've seen him twice in a pre-hard mode world, but never during hard mode..... I just want a yo-yo glove for my yo-yo bag.
I've spotted him a couple times while cruising down my hellevator but that's about it. I haven't even gotten to hard mode yet.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Does anyone else have problems changing the controls? It won't accept my new heal button ('z') ore any other button

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
The medusa's gaze attack seems buggy when it comes to vertical detection. Someone on the Terraria forums corraled one and did a couple of tests.

Any position below that and the gaze misses you.

But somehow this one pierces solid block and still petrifies. :psyduck:

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

ImPureAwesome posted:

Does anyone else have problems changing the controls? It won't accept my new heal button ('z') ore any other button

I switched mine to Q with no problem

The problem I DO have is when I fullscreen the game it starts chugging like a goon going uphill, but when it's windowed fullscreen it runs perfectly fine.

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013
You know what's horrible when you're afk farming? Solar eclipses.

Anyway, here's the farm I've been using to get the last keys I need. I already got the Crimson key, I should be able to get the Frost key since it's snowing, right?

(It's also evidence of my war crimes against Blood Jellies :ssh:)

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

RatHat posted:

Any benefit to using a trap door instead of wood platforms?

By the way, how difficult is the Martian invasion event compared to the Pumpkin and Frost moon ones? It looks much easier to me but the downside is you can't start the event whenever you want.

EDIT: Man this feels like a whole different game with grappling hooks. Makes rope almost useless though.

See those platforms on the right, in the middle of the bridge? It was supposed to be a fishing hole but the pond would feed on the souls of NPCs and I'd get someone drowning like twice a week. Now I just have a single trapdoor there and open it whenever I want to fish.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Akett posted:

You can see the base of my biggest disappointment to the right though, a huge tower made of demonite that manages to be boring despite my using the coolest most interesting brick in the game, lit by the coolest drat torch type in the game. The layout is a boring winding path leading up to a boring Orthanc ripoff at the top because I had no clue what I wanted to do up there. I've also got a golden tower that is mirrored in layout, but that one is even more boring because gold isn't as interesting due to not glowing and there is no lighting half as cool as demon torches.

1.3 adds rainbow torches. Won't help the boringness of the layout, but gold lit in rainbows is at least a nice thematic mirror of demonite architecture. Add some clouds to the top of the gold tower, some Living Flame (Or yellow and red gemspark, or mystic lavafall) blocks to the bottom of the demon tower, you got a party.

Once I'd done my baobab house I posted earlier, I made a pledge: No single building will have room for more than five NPCs. Since building what's shown in that shot, I made a lovely palm/cactus bungalow on the edge of the desert at the dungeon entrance (I stuck the Nurse and Dryad there for help with Skeletron, wound up needing neither), a manly fishing lodge entirely for the angler, several near-identical palm wood fishing huts in various biomes, and a throne room with a slime house and tower on top. The tower is explicitly for specialized crafting stations, with a garden and wizard's tower at the top. I'll get shots of those once I'm back on my main machine.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Tamayachi posted:

I switched mine to Q with no problem

The problem I DO have is when I fullscreen the game it starts chugging like a goon going uphill, but when it's windowed fullscreen it runs perfectly fine.

This happens to me too, even at the same resolution and settings. Not a huuuuge problem but kind of annoying.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Fhqwhgads posted:

Did I miss it in the OP or is there a 'newbie guide to quick starting' or something? Like a progression of what to make/get in the beginning of the game? I haven't played in forever and re-downloaded with 1.3. With approximately a billion things to get/make, it's a bit overwhelming in the beginning.

Here, maybe this will help you and others. I'm assuming anyone reading this knows what the controls are, or at least how to go into the options menu.

This ended up slightly longer than expected, but at least no one should be in the dark for "where do I start" for any given definition of start being pre-hardmode. I left a lot of minor details out because finding out strategies for doing things is a bunch of the game. Feel free to look things up if you feel I'm too vague, or figure things out yourself with the Guide.

I just started Terraria, help!
Your first priorities when starting Terraria are to make a couple of houses and some basic gear. You have an axe. Go chop down some trees. Like, a hundred odd blocks worth is fine. You can always use more wood. If you're not new to this whole thing, maybe go exploring and get some Cactus or one of the premium woods from the Desert/Corruption/Crimson/Jungle/Snow biomes for a bit of challenge and variety (I'm partial to Boreal wood). If that meant nothing to you, then just chop down the trees you see. If some slimes harass you, just use the axe on them: don't bother with the shortsword.

Once you have a bunch of wood, open your menu and go make a Workbench. A Workbench is the basic wood crafting station (in addition to some other things) and will let you make actual items. Surround this workbench with wood blocks. Like, a dozen wide and four or five high is fine. At the workbench, you can make wood walls to put in the background of your structure. Player placed walls are necessary for the house to be considered a valid house for NPCs and a valid spawn point for you. If you screw up or there's existent dirt walls, hammer them. Once this is done, make a door at your workbench, and pickaxe out three blocks from the side, and put a door there. Congrats, you now have a shelter at night.

Housing is one of the elementary building projects you'll be doing. Housing serves two roles. First, building a house lets an NPC move in. You start with one, the Guide. As you fulfill various requirements, more NPCs will move in if there's housing for them. Additionally, once you've found some cobwebs, you can craft Silk. Silk and wood lets you make a bed to make a room into a spawning point for you. Without a spawn point, you'll just default to the world spawn you started at, in the center of the surface. Do keep this in mind if you decide you want to start making your base other than that center.

To make your little shack a valid house for an NPC, it needs to be above a certain size (I don't remember the area precisely, but you have to be a real slum lord to run into it), have a place to sit (chair, bed, etc.) and a table or other such flat surface and a way in/out, plus all the background wall placed by you. Finally, it needs a source of light. You can put your NPCs in dirt hovels with evil haunted wood furniture and demonic torches or you can put them in opulent silver and platinum quarters with chandeliers and paintings and stained glass windows. It's up to you.

Now, once you've made your little shelter, go make yourself a full set of wooden armor. It's not flashy, but it'll cut a point or two of damage off for now, and it'll get you in the habit of making armor. You want armor. Finally, make a weapon. If you want to hit things, make a broadsword. If you want to shoot things, make a bow. However, you'll need arrows for a bow. You can find them or you can make them using wood and stone. You can also make torches with wood and the gel that slimes drop. Always carry a bundle of torches with you. Additionally, you can make flaming arrows by combining regular wood arrows and torches. An up to date bow and flaming arrows can be an offensive mainstay for the entire first half of the game.

From there, quest out! Feel free to make your way back to your shelter when night falls. With a good weapon, you're not in that much danger, but the lack of light is annoying. If you see pots, smash them. If you find a chest, loot it for all it's worth and take a pickaxe to it and carry it back to base. You'll want to store unneeded things in there.

Remember that Guide? Anytime you get a new item that says "Material", talk to him and use his Crafting option. It'll let you know everything that can be made with that item. Less known is that if you mouse away it'll also say what crafting station is needed to make that item. Additionally, his Help option can give you some advice, but if you're going to rely on that why are you reading this?

Early on, your goals are treasures and metals. Don't concern yourself with fighting, and don't be afraid to die. Well, do be afraid to die, but only if you were dumb enough to choose a Medium/Hardcore character. If you did, go make a new one. Also, keep your money deposited in a chest, that way you can't lose it. Once you've got your fill of exploring, go build more houses. Always build more houses than your NPCs will fit into, since even if you've met the requirements for one they won't move in if there's no place for them. There's a housing button in your menu to let you assign people and check housing validity: use it.

The basic metals are Copper/Tin, Iron/Lead, Silver/Tungsten, and Gold/Platinum. Each world will randomly have one or the other of each pair in ore lying about. All of them can be used to make new hammers, pickaxes, axes, swords, bows, armor, and random knicknacks.

Of note is Iron/Lead (hereafter Iron). Iron is needed to make an anvil. To make an anvil, take a pile of iron ore to a furnace. What's a furnace? You make it with stone and torches. So, you make a furnace, and then you use that furnace to turn ore into bars. You then take your iron bars to your workbench, and make an anvil. The anvil is where you craft all of your metal items.

Now, iron's a bit special. You can also use it to make chains. Chains are a material that is used to make a few random things. Chandeliers if you want nicer lighting indoors, or combined with copper/silver/gold at a chair and table to make a pocketwatch. It's also used to make a grappling hook. If a hook drops from skeletons during your travels, rejoice! Take that hook and chains, and go craft a grappling hook, and flip the bird to gravity, at least a little. Alternatively, fifteen of a gem can make you a grappling hook as well. Gems can also be used to craft basic magic staves, for the budding magi in the audience.

One thing to keep an eye out for while digging around are cobwebs. Cobwebs can be made into Silk, and Silk makes beds. Get sixty cobwebs at some point. Make two beds, and place one where you want to spawn. Store the other one for now, but at some point you'll want to set up an outpost near the dungeon or underground, and being able to set a spawn there will save you so much trouble.

That's the early game. Wood to copper to iron to silver to gold. Once you have silver and gold stuff, you can start branching out some. The corruption and crimson are a little easier to get through now, and the Jungle should prove bearable. We're now in the second quarter of the game, and there's a lot of options.

Going by stats, what should be done next is fighting a boss. If you've gotten enough Life Crystals underground (plus enough armor and NPCs) then at nighttime the Eye of Cthulu will randomly spawn and attack you until you've killed it at least once. If you choose to fight it, go get yourself a bow, knives, or shuriken. I'm sure it's possible to sword the Eye of Cthulu to death with Silver and Gold equipment, but why make it harder on yourself? There's all sorts of guides on doing so out there. Some advocate setting up an arena with elaborate amounts of preparation. I say just shoot the drat thing.

Of course, maybe you want to take the fight to the Eye. If you haven't already, go find a nearby Demon/Crimson Altar. You can find them abundantly at the bottom of Corruption and Crimson tunnels, as well as dotted about the underground at around zero depth (the point where the background switches from dirt walls to the underground parallax). Take six lenses dropped from Demon Eyes at night, and craft a Suspicious Looking Eye. Use this at night and boom boss fight.

The Demonite/Crimtane Ore the Eye drops can be used to make some new weapons, but you'll notice that you need another item for a new pickaxe. You get Shadow Scales/Tissue Samples from the Eater of Worlds/Brain of Cthulu. You'll summon these bosses in the same way, taking items to an Altar. For the Brain of Cthulu, you just need Vertebrae from Crimson enemies, while the Eater is a little more difficult. You'll need Rotten Chunks from Eater of Souls'. You also need Vile Powder, made from Vile Mushrooms found in the Corruption (take it to a bottle placed on a table [bottles are crafted from sand or found in treasure chests {this game gets convoluted}]). Either way, take the resulting item to your evil biome of choice, use it, and probably die. Victory will give you the Scales/Samples needed to make a new pickaxe. That will let you mine out the Ebonstone/Crimstone, paving the way to Shadow Orbs/Corrupt Hearts underground.

Or...you can shortcut those above three paragraphs with explosives. Take some bombs or dynamite, and blast your way through to the Orbs/Hearts. Smash it with a hammer. You'll get a cool item--if you're lucky, a gun of some sort--and an ominous message. Do this until you're satisfied with your loot or you die.

Which you will, since every third such smashing autosummons the Eater of Worlds or Brain of Cthulu and chances are that third one you hit was underwater. See you back at your spawn!

If you got a gun during your vandalism, congrats, you have now met the requirements for Drebin to move in so I hope you have a spare room. Either way, there is now a chance every night for a meteor to fall somewhere in the world. If you see such a message, go seek it out, and hope it didn't land on a floating island.

Meteorite can be mined with a Tungsten, Gold, or Platinum pickaxe. Alternatively, you can mine it with explosives. Either way, an entire meteor will likely give you enough bars to make a bunch of fun stuff. I'm preferential to the Space Gun, but I couldn't fault you for going for a Phasesaber if you have the gemstones handy. Meteor Shot with any gun is also an acceptable plan.

Meteor equipment will make the Eater of Worlds/Brain of Cthulu fights a lot easier. Additionally, you can now easily take on Skeletron. You probably could have before, but now you definitely can. Soon after sundown, talk to the old man in front of the Dungeon. Haven't found the dungeon yet? Travel left or right until you find either it or the Jungle. If you find it, great! If you find the Jungle, turn around: the Dungeon's on the other side of the world.

Skeletron's not too bad. Go for his hands first and his head's pretty predictable after that. Congrats, you can now go into the Dungeon and die a whole lot. Explore it, loot it, and die even more. Do be sure to find the Mechanic. You can also feel free to explore the Jungle. There's a lot of nice treasures to be found, although the underground Jungle is one of the worst places to navigate ever. Also, do hit up the Ocean on the far edges of the world, as you can find the Angler and some treasures there. If you've found Gravitation potions you can also look for Floating Islands. Floating Island chests can contain nice items, including the absolutely stylish Starfury sword.

At some point it'll be time for you to delve to the bottom. You can make a "hellevator", a straight down shaft to the bottom, or just organically mine and explore a path down. On the way, you might find Marble and Granite minibiomes. These are cool but are also lethal, so stay alert. That said, marble and granite furniture looks swank, so no risk no reward I say.

However you get there, you reach Hell. Okay, it's called the underworld, but shut it. Hell varies between lethal and tame depending on how nice the enemy spawns are compared to how often you fall in lava. Hell has the highest concentration of Hellstone, your last mining target for now. Hellstone is often sandwiched between chunks of ash and lava, burns you on contact, and spews lava when mined. Mining Hellstone is one of the more interesting puzzles in the game, so have fun. You also need to loot a Hellforge from one of the buildings down there. Hellstone is used to make a very important pickaxe, as well as the Disc 1 Final Weapon for the archers in all of us: Molten Fury will change all Wooden Arrows fired from it to Flaming Arrows, eight to fifteen hours after torch economy stopped being a problem. It's still useful.

Two things to be aware of! If you made a second bed like I told you, set up shop in Hell while you get its treasures, and they are many. Fireblossom is a rare herb used in a few important potions, Demons can drop the Demon Scythe spellbook, while the Shadow chests simply contain some nice loot in general. Of note is what happens when you combine Water and Lava. Mining a pool of water into some lava can net you Obsidian, a very useful pseudo-ore that you'll want bundles of for various reasons.

The other things are Voodoo Demons. Be careful killing them. They always drop Guide Voodoo Dolls, a fun little accessory that lets you attack the Guide and kill him. If they hit lava, the Guide will die.

Oh, and you'll summon the Wall of Flesh, your final boss for the first half of the game. When you're ready, chuck a Voodoo Doll into lava when the Guide is alive, and get ready to be shot with twenty billion lasers and tentacles. You may want to carve out a straight line to retreat on, but I feel everyone deserves to go into the Wall of Flesh fight woefully underprepared at least once.

Victory over the Wall is not to be sought lightly. Be sure you've gotten everything you want from the Dungeon and Jungle. Overly prepared wisdom would have you dig a several block trench out around wherever you plan to make your home, but that won't be necessary. Hopefully. Maybe.

Killing the Wall will enter your world into Hardmode. This is irreversable, irrevocable, and will drop your character from "walking tank of destruction that laughs at enemies" to "oh god there's so much blood my arm dear god my arm" for a very, very, very long time. New enemies will spawn in all biomes, and a giant swathe of Corruption/Crimson will spawn in the world.

As will the Hallow. The Hallow looks like My Little Pony and plays like I Wanna Be The Guy. It differs from the Corruption/Crimson merely in how honest it is about tearing your head off. The underground versions of the same are even more lethal. However, the Hallow is also a source of great power. Unicorns and Pixies drop powerful crafting materials, while smashing Demon/Crimson Altars with the Pwnhammer dropped by the Wall will spread new ores to mine and craft gear with. If, at this point, you find you enjoy the building aspects more than the survival aspects of Terraria, go make a new world and build your amazing castles and complexes there. Trust me, you'll be happier. Even if you are fine tackling this new difficulty, still consider making a new world for vanity projects.

At this point, you're on your own. This is the first half of Terraria in I don't even want to count how many words. You should be quite familiar with how everything works so go have fun grinding up Adamantium gear and dying to the mechanical bosses over and over.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So I've got to the stage where I begin preparing for the Wall. Do I want my general "out of mana" weapon to be Molten Fury, Hellwing Bow or the Phoenix Blaster? My ammo options are Meteorite Shot and Hellfire Arrows.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

You left out the most important thing:

Skip all the early bullshit and just make a metal fishing rod, get a bug net, collect some bait, and go fishing in the Ocean because you can catch a shark pick that is as good as a molten pickaxe, giving you the ability to blow through even crimson/corruption while also doing ~15 damage or so and being autoswing, thus making it a good enough weapon even for some jungle exploration.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

SirSamVimes posted:

So I've got to the stage where I begin preparing for the Wall. Do I want my general "out of mana" weapon to be Molten Fury, Hellwing Bow or the Phoenix Blaster? My ammo options are Meteorite Shot and Hellfire Arrows.

I went to town using the minishark from the gunsmith and just regular bullets. Just remember to aim for the eyes!

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

The Molten Fury requires less clicking to get solid damage out of it, but the Phoenix Blaster won't kill you if you use it when the Wall is in your face. The Phoenix Blaster also goes bang. I don't know much beyond what the wiki says about the Hellwing Bow. It looks like it's less damaging than either other option, but it has really good piercing with wooden arrows. If the Hellwing Bow has autofire, use it. Otherwise it comes down to your tolerance for clicking, with the Phoenix Blaster being a better weapon than the Molten Fury but requiring twice as many clicks. Click click click.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Meteorite set with the Space gun feels like cheating.