Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Second most spoken language:

A bit loving surprised by the Wayuu, but at least in Venezuela's case it seems right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Why ItalianArgentina?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Tree Goat posted:

America

Sea to shining sea, bitches

e: I mean we missed out on Canada and Cuba and the Phillipines, and Puerto Rico and Guam are sort of in limbo, but still counts.

nah i think getting the white house burned down counts as loving that one up

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Why ItalianArgentina?

Because like literally every Argentinian is of Italian descent?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ras Het posted:

Yeah I mean why is that? Why did they migrate to Argentina much more than the other countries (apparently)? A quick Google suggests "well they just did" is the answer :shrug:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Ras Het posted:

Or Welsh

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah I mean why is that? Why did they migrate to Argentina much more than the other countries (apparently)? A quick Google suggests "well they just did" is the answer :shrug:

I'm not sure if the difference is actually that drastic - a hell of a lot of Italians emigrated into Brazil, Venezuela and obviously USA too. I think it's more of a question of assimilation and relative numbers.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ras Het posted:

I'm not sure if the difference is actually that drastic - a hell of a lot of Italians emigrated into Brazil, Venezuela and obviously USA too. I think it's more of a question of assimilation and relative numbers.

A quick count based on numbers I pulled out of my arsesome Googling says around 1½ million to Brazil (a big country) and well over 2 million to Argentina. So I'd say that's pretty significant.

Maybe the "Italian" population just reached critical mass like "hey all my cousins moved there why not follow them?"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jerry Cotton posted:

A quick count based on numbers I pulled out of my arsesome Googling says around 1½ million to Brazil (a big country) and well over 2 million to Argentina. So I'd say that's pretty significant.

Maybe the "Italian" population just reached critical mass like "hey all my cousins moved there why not follow them?"
Italians have a genetic affinity for the cowboy lifestyle.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
I wonder what the map would look like if you broke it down to highest sub-national unit.

Edit: Found a different map which makes other claims. For example, the indigenous Sranan is the most common second language in Suriname, and German in Brazil.

Sometimes the criteria are very inconsistent:

quote:

Norway
Pop: 5.1 million
Official Language(s):
Norwegian
Second Most Spoken Language(s):
Indigenous
The most common second language is Sami, an indigenous language closely related to Finnish, spoken by .9% of the population.

quote:

Denmark
Pop: 5.6 million
Official Language(s):
Danish
Second Most Spoken Language(s):
English
There are several native second languages, but English is the most commonly spoken second language among Danes.

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 15, 2015

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Greater Scandinavia wins for having parts on North America as well as Europe.

False Flag Rape
Aug 22, 2013

by Lowtax

Ras Het posted:

Huh, well that explains the endemic incompetence.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah I mean why is that? Why did they migrate to Argentina much more than the other countries (apparently)?

The three countries with the largest Italian diaspora communities are actually Brazil, Argentina, and the USA, in that order. They make up proportionally more of the Italian population, because Argentina was less populous when it began receiving Italian immigration.

Very rapid population growth and lack of economic opportunities in Italy triggered massive emigration. e.g. in Southern Italy the amount of agricultural land could not increase, but the population exploded, so the people had to go somewhere. In the case of Argentina, that country was undergoing significant expansion south into the Pampas and Patagonia throughout the 19th century and it became a major exporter of agricultural commodities, such as wheat and beef. Available land for production and demand for product expanded far faster than the labor force. One way of addressing the resulting shortage was seasonal immigration of Italian agricultural laborers. Argentina is in the southern hemisphere and it's growing season is effectively opposite Italy's. So Italian farm workers would bring in the Italian harvest, sail to Argentina to do theirs, then back to Europe in time for the Italian harvest, around and around, giving them year-round employment in an ordinarily seasonal field. These people were called "golondrinos," after migratory swallows. This also happened in Brazil and Uruguay.

Over time increasing numbers of Italians settled permanently in South America. In the later part of the mass emigration-period Argentina (as well as Brazil and Uruguay) began to develop industry in urban centers, and many Italian immigrants sought work there. Sao Paulo, Brazil's premier industrial city, is the largest "Italian" city outside Italy itself.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
^^^^This is all accurate.

Also you have to take into account the fact that Brazill is a bigger country, while many ´parts of Argentina are still desert so uninhabitable. Brazil also had/has a large proportion of native population and black slave descendants, while all those were erradicated in Argentina. So the European immigration in Argentina was much more impactful. It wasn't just Italian immigration, the came from all around Europe, ie Welsh immigration in Patagonia and Germanic/Scandinavian in Misiones/Corrientes/NE Argentina (were you'll see people with aboriginal traits mixed with people with blonde hair and blue eyes). I can count at least four different european countries amongst my great-grandparents.

That said, the claim of that map is dubious at best. Nowadays almost no-one speaks Italian, most of the original Italian immigrants having died long time ago. The current generations don't bother learning it, unless they go to one of a couple of Italian style Lyceums. My bets on most widely spoken second language would be on Guarani or Portuguese, given the borders with Paraguay and Brazil and the recent immigration from those countries.

E: Or English, seeing what it says for Chile. I thought they would exclude English since it's usually a given.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Ras Het posted:

A bit loving surprised by the Wayuu, but at least in Venezuela's case it seems right.

I'm surprised only Uruguay is Portuguese, but it does have the most convenient border, without massive jungles or mountain ranges in the way.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Ras Het posted:

Guarani is more widely spoken than Spanish in Paraguay.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

DrSunshine posted:

No, that's wrong, if only because clearly "Greater USA" encompasses the entire globe. :911:

54-40 or fight!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

TheImmigrant posted:

Guarani is more widely spoken than Spanish in Paraguay.

I've seen that episode of Monk

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Golbez posted:

I'm surprised only Uruguay is Portuguese, but it does have the most convenient border, without massive jungles or mountain ranges in the way.
Cisplatina belongs to Brazil!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

the jizz taxi posted:

I don't get this map's logic at all.

Like, if Luxembourg's claiming cultural proximity, Liège and Limburg would make sense (though why not include Belgian Limburg), and so do, I suppose borderland areas where they speak similar dialects, but why North Brabant and Zeeland? Why Namur, which was actually a vassal territory of Flanders for centuries? I mean, you might as well go whole hog and unify the Benelux countries while you're at it.

Hell Greater Luxembourg should be even bigger than it is in that map.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Abner Cadaver II posted:

54-40 or fight!

54-40 the whole way across. :twisted:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

I think what he meant is there were more people in Brazil to absorb the 1.5 million Italians, while 2 million was a far larger fraction of Argentina's population at the time.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

I think what he meant is there were more people in Brazil to absorb the 1.5 million Italians, while 2 million was a far larger fraction of Argentina's population at the time.

Argentina was very sparsely populated until the late 19th century. Brazil had had a huge slave population for centuries by that point.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

TheImmigrant posted:

Argentina was very sparsely populated until the late 19th century. Brazil had had a huge slave population for centuries by that point.
Though its population too took a long time to really take off. In 1800 its population was only slightly greater than that of Portugal, and it took till 1900 for it to overtake Spain, and it only reached that of Russia around 1990. It's certainly started making up for lost time recently though.

e: It being relatively sparsely populated outside its slave population probably also explains why it's majority black/mixed race.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Most of Brazil's land area is a hellish, impenetrable bug-filled swamp so it makes sense

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Though its population too took a long time to really take off. In 1800 its population was only slightly greater than that of Portugal, and it took till 1900 for it to overtake Spain, and it only reached that of Russia around 1990. It's certainly started making up for lost time recently though.

e: It being relatively sparsely populated outside its slave population probably also explains why it's majority black/mixed race.

Also, the Portuguese had much less of a hangup about coupling with Africans than other colonial powers in the New World.

Galeano had a good analysis on how Brazil's development as a set of semi-autonomous capitancies can be seen in how its roads developed. At independence, there were few roads connecting them. Each capitancy had roads from the hinterland to the coast, for easy wealth extraction, but few connecting them to each other.

TheImmigrant fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 15, 2015

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

Most of Brazil's land area is a hellish, impenetrable bug-filled swamp so it makes sense
Was I think. They're well on their way to turning most of that poo poo into pastures.

TheImmigrant posted:

Also, the Portuguese had much less of a hangup about coupling with Africans than other colonial powers in the New World.
Makes sense, since they're practically Africans themselves. *Puts on pith helmet and starts whistling "Rule, Britannia!"*

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

The Northeastern sertão was the focus of early development in Brazil. That area is semi-arid scrubland, subject to frequent drought.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Makes sense, since they're practically Africans themselves. *Puts on pith helmet and starts whistling "Rule, Britannia!"*

I forgot in which novel I read it but I recall a Congolese character in it who was comparing Europeans (mostly Belgians) with the Portuguese, saying "the Portuguese were as bad as other white people, but at least they let you talk back and they appreciated a fair fight with you on equal footing".

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Each generation got exponentially hotter thanks to all that mixing?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

This is from several pages ago, but Newfoundland is not a city. Politically loaded.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Nintendo Kid posted:

54-40 the whole way across. :twisted:

Not enough.

Make America stretch from pole to shining pole.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

QuoProQuid posted:

Not enough.

I thought that happened last month thanks to the Supreme Court.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Count Roland posted:

This is from several pages ago, but Newfoundland is not a city. Politically loaded.

It never says the labels are cities.

QuoProQuid posted:

Not enough.

The joke is that if you do 54-40 the whole way across, Canada is reduced to about the 108,000 residents of the Territories and then maybe 300,000 tops in the upper reaches of the current provinces that would remain (it's unclear).

Yellowknife, population 19,234 would be the biggest "city" remaining.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Italians have a genetic affinity for the cowboy lifestyle.

I would have thought more Indian.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Frostwerks posted:

I would have thought more Indian.
One dude does not trump spaghetti westerns. :colbert:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Nintendo Kid posted:

The joke is that if you do 54-40 the whole way across, Canada is reduced to about the 108,000 residents of the Territories and then maybe 300,000 tops in the upper reaches of the current provinces that would remain (it's unclear).

This is unnecessary, really, since Canadians already are Americans in all but name. :can:

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

TheImmigrant posted:

The Northeastern sertão was the focus of early development in Brazil. That area is semi-arid scrubland, subject to frequent drought.

Was it? There's a sort of a green belt between the coast and the sertão, and that's where the cocoa and sugar grew.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Nintendo Kid posted:

Fort McMurray is north of 54-40 and has a population of ~100,000 (possibly less now with the oil price collapse). It is not, however, technically a 'city', having de-incorporated into the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo (pop 61K officially, area = one Sri Lanka) in 1995. It's an 'urban service area.'

The point remains that northern Canada is empty, of course, but the politically-loaded thing is that a city with an official population of about 61,000 and a transient population of tens of thousands more is technically a hamlet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

This is unnecessary, really, since Canadians already are Americans in all but name. :can:

I'll stop calling myself American when The rest of the world stops calling me American