Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

bringmyfishback posted:

Or you could be like my legendary roommate, and call your parents' housekeeper to come over every three days and do dishes, and then lie about it.

that dude rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Radio Help posted:

that dude rules

She really doesn't. As a roommate, anyways. She barfed in her closet for three years because she was a secret bulimic and when she moved out I found her Barf Trove.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
that sounds absolutely magical

you have a very unrealistic expectation of roommates dude / shame on you

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Radio Help posted:

that sounds absolutely magical

you have a very unrealistic expectation of roommates dude / shame on you

Start here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3495020&userid=42961#post406467675

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

bringmyfishback posted:

She really doesn't. As a roommate, anyways. She barfed in her closet for three years because she was a secret bulimic and when she moved out I found her Barf Trove.

literally a closet bulimic

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

bringmyfishback posted:

Or you could be like my legendary roommate, and call your parents' housekeeper to come over every three days and do dishes, and then lie about it.

Or like my manchild colleague who grew up with servants in his home country: only use disposable plates, cups and cutlery.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This anecdote has me really contemplating dropping :10bux: on archives....

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
It's not ten bucks worth of interesting if you've interacted with sad dysfunctional people or watched daytime TV.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

CommonShore posted:

This anecdote has me really contemplating dropping :10bux: on archives....

Archives is always worth it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

axolotl farmer posted:

Or like my manchild colleague who grew up with servants in his home country: only use disposable plates, cups and cutlery.

My dormmates just ignored the dishes because they knew after long enough I would get tired of the room smelling like rear end and do them.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Len posted:

My dormmates just ignored the dishes because they knew after long enough I would get tired of the room smelling like rear end and do them.

you got #Lenhacked

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Angela Christine posted:

That's probably where they are from. Grew up with a dishwasher. Go to college or move out on their own for the first time, can't afford a dishwasher right away. At the end of the first week they run out clean dishes and just stand there staring at the sink in bafflement.

I was thinking of dish brushes though.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Len posted:

I washed my roommates' dishes once because I couldn't use the sink to wash my own dishes. :(

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

HardDisk posted:

I washed my roommates' dishes once because I couldn't use the sink to wash my own dishes. :(

That's how they get ya :( :hf: :(

That poo poo happened to me a couple times before I just started moving everyone else's week-old dirty dishes to the kitchen table so I could do my own. It was great because they'd walk into the kitchen, see a pristine countertop and sink and think "sweet, Fai did all the dishes" and then turn the corner into the dining room and see neat piles of moldy loving dishes and flatware all over the table.

Buy your own home so you don't have to do your roommates' dishes #dishhack

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Soiled Meat
LifeHack: buy loads of tableware on the cheap from outlets, thrift shops, garage sales, tailgate parties, barn sales, fire sales, actual dumpsters, soup kitchens and never do a dish again in your life #Hoarders #CPS #Gangrene #Abilify #Zoloft #LifeHack

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Karate Bastard posted:

LifeHack: buy loads of tableware on the cheap from outlets, thrift shops, garage sales, tailgate parties, barn sales, fire sales, actual dumpsters, soup kitchens and never do a dish again in your life #Hoarders #CPS #Gangrene #Abilify #Zoloft #LifeHack

I had a housemate in my lovely uni dorms who did just this. She had about thirty dinner plates in all, none of which were ever cleaned by her and ended up piled in the sink until someone would snap and wash them for her. Eventually, another housemate got so fed up she threw a load of the plates out the window, smashing them. Filthy housemate didn't notice for weeks.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

At work, the policy is that any dishes left in the sink unattended for any reason get thrown away when the cleaning staff comes through to clean the break room. It works pretty well. 90% of people wash their plates when they are done with them and put them away or bring in a stack of paper/foam plates like normal people. The abnormal people pack their plates back into their lunch bag to take home and wash in their dishwashers instead of washing their single plate in the sink because "washing dishes in a sink is gross".

Then there's the one guy who brings in new dishes each day then hides them after he uses them because he will never wash them but still feels compelled to save them. Every couple of months his stash of moldy dishes will start to smell enough for its location to be discovered and the whole mountain of mountain of 80+ plates and mugs goes in the dumpster. I usually dumpster dive myself a once-used coffee mug if I see an interesting one.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

The abnormal people pack their plates back into their lunch bag to take home and wash in their dishwashers instead of washing their single plate in the sink because "washing dishes in a sink is gross".

What? :psyduck:

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

they grew up with money

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

That's how they get ya :( :hf: :(

That poo poo happened to me a couple times before I just started moving everyone else's week-old dirty dishes to the kitchen table so I could do my own. It was great because they'd walk into the kitchen, see a pristine countertop and sink and think "sweet, Fai did all the dishes" and then turn the corner into the dining room and see neat piles of moldy loving dishes and flatware all over the table.
This is the first time I've been the cleaner person in the apt (because I'm making a loving effort dammit) and I feel really bad for all my old roommates. :( Sorry guys, I swear I'm better now. Also I end up doing the dishes because sometimes scouring them is a good mindless stress reliever after a terrible shift.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

titties posted:

they grew up with money

I didn't, and did dishes by hand growing up most nights, and I hate the feeling of greasy water on my hands so much that I can't express it. I would totally be bagging those dishes home to put in a machine.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I honestly can't remember the last time I used a dishwasher. It's probably been at least five years. Kinda pointless as a single guy without roommates.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
We had community silverware at my old job and I regret being really lazy about washing them. Washing a single fork is time wasting so I'd justify to myself that I'd do it at the end of the week.

After I couldn't find a fork to use I realized I had accumulated over 15 on my desk and felt really awful about it when my boss called me out.

And then did the same thing again the next month but hid that poo poo in my drawer.

Disposable silverware for the new job I swear, no more piles of gross poo poo on my desk! #lifehack

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Subjunctive posted:

I didn't, and did dishes by hand growing up most nights, and I hate the feeling of greasy water on my hands so much that I can't express it. I would totally be bagging those dishes home to put in a machine.

In the 80's when I was growing up, the dishwasher was great for sanitizing but useless for removing food particles so the dishes had to be washed before they went in anyway. My current dishwasher is a 20-year-old roll-away, so the dishes still need to be washed beforehand :smith:

Lifehack: use a $1 pair of dishwashing gloves when washing dishes in the sink walla

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
what the gently caress are you doin to your dishes that they are so unclean that washing them is a repulsive task :psyduck:

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

willus posted:

what the gently caress are you doin to your dishes that they are so unclean that washing them is a repulsive task :psyduck:

They havent figuered out rinsing

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

HardDisk posted:

I would've just put on some rubber gloves, lifted their dirty dishes on the floor, and washed mine. (Incidentally, I've never had roommates :shrug:)

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

willus posted:

Seconding this. Even when I cook for 3-4 people it takes ~10 minutes to wash everything and put it on the drying rack then two minutes in the morning to put it all away while I'm waiting for my coffee pot to boil.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

willus posted:

Gotta poop somewhere.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

willus posted:

If you have a bit of noodle or something stuck to the plate when you put your plate in the sink of water you're going to have a bit of noodle floating around in there. When the bit of noodle brushes your hand it feels like a slimy worm. :gonk:

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
do you not scrape excess food scraps into either a composting bin or a waste bin before you wash your dishes

i thought this was the thread for mocking people who don't know how to take care of themselves

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

willus posted:

excess food scraps

:lol: yes goons leaving food on the plate.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

If your water is getting gross when you're partway through washing the dishes, drain the sink and refill it with clean water before you add more dishes it's pretty easy to use a pair of rubber hoses to continuously recirculate the water through a pool filter.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

If your water is getting gross when you're partway through washing the dishes, drain the sink and refill it with clean water before you add more dishes it's pretty easy to use a pair of rubber hoses to continuously recirculate the water through a pool filter.

Or hook it up to the watercooling setup for your bitcoin rig.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
I never have to do dishes because I eat my food off the floor like an animal

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
If you're single and live alone, why not wash your pots and plates immediately after using them? And if you have roommates, why not set up a schedule?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Screaming Idiot posted:

why not wash your pots immediately after using them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

a quick rinse over with cold water takes care of that

also lol at people getting grossed out with handling wash water. maybe it's from going camping all the time when i was a kid, but i see nothing disgusting about plunging my hands into murky gunk water as long as you wash up afterwards.