Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

My biggest problem with Hurt Locker is I don't really like Jeremy Renner as an actor and he plays such a completely unlikable character in that movie that it really turned me off of it.

I liked Zero Dark Thirty afterwards but some of the messaging about torture being effective was problematic.

I watched Collateral again the other day and man that movie is still great. There were a couple of shots in the taxi that seemed really low resolution/grainy which was kind of weird. I wish Tom Cruise wasn't crazy because he's a really good action guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Technetium posted:

I watched Collateral again the other day and man that movie is still great. There were a couple of shots in the taxi that seemed really low resolution/grainy which was kind of weird. I wish Tom Cruise wasn't crazy because he's a really good action guy.

Those shots looked like that in the theatre too, I assume its a purposeful choice by Mann but I don't know enough about technical stuff to explain it.

The scene where Cruise sees a wolf and that Audioslave song plays is awesome, as is the movie in general.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Doesn't ZDT specifically point out that intelligence gathering is a much finer art that indiscriminate torture?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Basebf555 posted:

Those shots looked like that in the theatre too, I assume its a purposeful choice by Mann but I don't know enough about technical stuff to explain it.

The scene where Cruise sees a wolf and that Audioslave song plays is awesome, as is the movie in general.
They shot it on digital in order to have very dark scenes (specifically to see lights out the windows in the skyscraper interior); I assume the cab just wasn't very well lit.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I finally watched Hurt Locker for the 1st time and I didn't think it was good at all.

Seen lots of war movies etc, don't much care if the point was trying to be anti war or glorifying it or anything. Also, I'm not one to nitpick details etc either but almost everything they guys did in the movie seemed massively unrealistic. It's like they never had radio contact with anyone ever or tried to report in what they were doing / what was happening to them and that's ignoring the main characters willing lack of communication. The movie itself was shot well and the scenes / scenery looked great but anytime something in the plot was happening I was just thinking "no way these guys are this dumb"

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

I finally watched Hurt Locker for the 1st time and I didn't think it was good at all.

Seen lots of war movies etc, don't much care if the point was trying to be anti war or glorifying it or anything. Also, I'm not one to nitpick details etc either but almost everything they guys did in the movie seemed massively unrealistic. It's like they never had radio contact with anyone ever or tried to report in what they were doing / what was happening to them and that's ignoring the main characters willing lack of communication. The movie itself was shot well and the scenes / scenery looked great but anytime something in the plot was happening I was just thinking "no way these guys are this dumb"

I didn't have these feelings at all when I watched the movie and maybe you expected too much when you went into it

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Magnus Gallant posted:

I didn't have these feelings at all when I watched the movie and maybe you expected too much when you went into it

I didn't expect much at all, just saw it pop up and was like "oh right I still haven't watched that yet"

It was just not really great, like I'm surprised it was really even considered for awards or anything. Was it a weak crop of movies that year?

Just mostly the dudes doing things in the movie seemed pretty dumb and I'm not in the military at all. Just seemed like if you were pinned down by a sniper with multiple deaths you'd like... call in for support or something? Felt like a contrived scene just to build a relationship between the 3 characters.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Doesn't ZDT specifically point out that intelligence gathering is a much finer art that indiscriminate torture?

The woman who the main character in that is based on is known in the CIA for ordering suspects to be tortured because she likes to watch it. Also she had the wrong person kidnapped and tortured twice.

Also her team never got any useful information from all that torture. The non-torture team got everything good and was then disbanded for making the other team look bad.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I don't think it's really fair to blame Bigelow for Hurt Locker's inaccuracies when the military itself was the one that refused to consult on or assist with the movie because it was anti-war. Unlike, say, Transformers 2 which got their complete cooperation and was allowed to use tons of actual military hardware during shooting.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Does Bigelow have anything lined up? she's definitely one of my all-time favorite directors

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Does Bigelow have anything lined up? she's definitely one of my all-time favorite directors

Rumor has it she's adapting True American (with Tom Hardy attached!), which is a decent enough book.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

She's doing a Bowe Bergdahl movie in addition to the above.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
In terms of war movies, The Hurt Locker is closer to, like, Beau Travail, but with a little Top Gun thrown in. It's not necessarily about war at all.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Just watched El Infierno, a really good crime drama with a kind of bent "humor" to it (kind of a very low-key Coen Brothers style), about a nice man who gets pulled into the Mexican drug trade. It's not too heavy on the Serious Drama, and the humor is more a stylistic thing than laugh-out-loud comedy, but it was pretty engrossing and the last ten minutes were awesome (if a little telegraphed).

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Since I watched Lost Soul a few days ago, I decided to re-watch Richard Stanley's Hardware. It's, uh, colorful? It has a bit of cheap B-movie charm, but ultimately it's really let down by the killer robot, which is just... not that cool. The Mark 13 is pretty slow and lumbering, looks extremely goofy, and doesn't show much personality. The aesthetic of the movie is 90s cyberpunk as hell (it didn't surprise me at all that it's based on a 2000AD short comic) but nothing else really rises to that level.

I started to watch Dust Devil but it's 4:3 and the 86 minute version, which according to Wikipedia has the maximum amount of studio fuckery. Is this version worth watching? Are any of them?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I kind of half rear end watched The Visitors with Jean Reno last night. It was a cute movie with some wonderfully cheesy special effects in it. I did enjoy that the knights were closer to their historical counterparts than most movies of this type. Instead of being chivalrous noble heroes they're barely hinged psychopaths in between compulsive bouts of praying.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

david_a posted:

I started to watch Dust Devil but it's 4:3 and the 86 minute version, which according to Wikipedia has the maximum amount of studio fuckery. Is this version worth watching? Are any of them?

I found the version that's on Netflix supremely entertaining. Moreso than Hardware.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I couldn't stand Billy Eichner's character in Parks and Recreation but I just watched Difficult People on Hulu and it's actually pretty funny.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Sleeveless posted:

I don't think it's really fair to blame Bigelow for Hurt Locker's inaccuracies when the military itself was the one that refused to consult on or assist with the movie because it was anti-war. Unlike, say, Transformers 2 which got their complete cooperation and was allowed to use tons of actual military hardware during shooting.

The military bowed out because the script was loving horrible and they refused to change it. They knew it was going to turn into a giant clusterfuck of a movie, and it did.

It's hilarious that Hollywood liberals like to pat themselves on the back because they awarded Best Picture for the movie because it apparently shows a "gritty realistic portrayal of how brutal war is" and had one token scene of the main character having PTSD, which they don't explore enough. This is coming from somebody who is very liberal.

Some of the other posters above are correct. A movie doesn't have to be a hundred percent realistic all the time, but it was touted as a gritty realistic portrayal of the war in Iraq. It played it straight, and so many of the reviews, and interviews with the director and writer showed that they wanted to portray realism. The fact that literally everything that happens in the plot would never, ever, happen in any way, shape, or form, takes many viewers out of the movie. I mean, they even got the loving uniforms wrong for the time.. That's not to mention every other action sequence in the entire movie. Every unrealistic action they took was to ramp up tension in the movie. A more skilled writer could have done that while creating realistic scenarios for the characters. The fact that he was embedded with EOD teams and still wrote a horrible script shows that he really didn't learn anything, or that he just didn't care about writing a script faithful to soldiers' experiences.

The actors were capable, and Jeremy Renner did well with what he had there, but the script was a gigantic piece of poo poo from the start. And that is why the military pulled out of the movie. Not because it is vaguely antiwar.

It's fine if people enjoy it and can turn off their brain, and have their belief suspended, but after the third or fourth what the gently caress moment, I checked out. I'm not a veteran, but many veterans felt the same way. People should know going in that the movie is in no way a realistic portrayal of anything. Literally everything done in the movie would never, ever happen.

Zero Dark Thirty was better, but by no means was it a GOOD movie. Kathryn Bigelow's last good movie was Point Break, which was amazing. It didn't try to be anything it wasn't.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Aug 11, 2015

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
No1curr.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Bored As gently caress posted:

It's fine if people enjoy it and can turn off their brain, and have their belief suspended, but after the third or fourth what the gently caress moment, I checked out. I'm not a veteran, but many veterans felt the same way. People should know going in that the movie is in no way a realistic portrayal of anything. Literally everything done in the movie would never, ever happen.

Well I am an veteran, but not Army (Marines), and I thought the movie was pretty good.

But yes her last good movie was Point Break despite her winning best director, and the movie was a giant clusterfuck despite winning 6 Oscars. Please God let me have a clusterfuck like this once in my life.

Also to this day my favorite movie of hers is still Near Dark.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Well now you know that real knowledge of a subject, like guns or the military, is shown through pedantic correction of artistic licence. Getting military uniforms up to TFR's standards should be a prerequisite for the Oscars.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Point Break is an accurate depiction of undercover police officer procedures.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

nate fisher posted:

Also to this day my favorite movie of hers is still Near Dark.

that's one of my favorite movies, period.

although the big problem with people saying Point Break is her last good movie is, even if you don't like Hurt Locker or Zero Dark Thirty, Strange Days came out in 1995.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Cocoa Ninja posted:

But the way they depict EOD jobs seems to be fundamentally different from real life — the real guys almost never suit up, you almost always use the robot, you're always trying to avoid the blast radius. So when the premise of the movie is that Renner's so good at his job precisely because he throws caution to the wind...first time I saw it it just rubbed me the wrong way.

Cocoa Ninja posted:

He's a reckless EOD tech....who GETS RESULTS.

This fall on FOX

Uhh, he's good at his job because he's on a suicidal adrenaline binge. Throwing caution to the wind is a symptom of being totally reckless and having a death wish, the Beckham arc demonstrated that pretty well...

He gets results - whether or not those results are based on reality is a different matter.

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I kind of half rear end watched The Visitors with Jean Reno last night. It was a cute movie with some wonderfully cheesy special effects in it. I did enjoy that the knights were closer to their historical counterparts than most movies of this type. Instead of being chivalrous noble heroes they're barely hinged psychopaths in between compulsive bouts of praying.
This is one of my favorite Reno flicks. Also, Wasabi.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 11, 2015

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Uhh, he's good at his job because he's on a suicidal adrenaline binge. Throwing caution to the wind is a symptom of being totally reckless and having a death wish, the Beckham arc demonstrated that pretty well...

He gets results - whether or not those results are based on reality is a different matter.

what's interesting is i think Hurt Locker is actually much closer to Point Break than to Zero Dark Thirty. both are tense, suspenseful action movies about guys that try to lose themselves by willingly chasing the biggest adrenaline rush they can find throug extremely dangerous situations and high-risk behavior.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

that's one of my favorite movies, period.

although the big problem with people saying Point Break is her last good movie is, even if you don't like Hurt Locker or Zero Dark Thirty, Strange Days came out in 1995.

Yep.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Bored As gently caress posted:

A more skilled writer could have done that while creating realistic scenarios for the characters. The fact that he was embedded with EOD teams and still wrote a horrible script shows that he really didn't learn anything, or that he just didn't care about writing a script faithful to soldiers' experiences.

The actors were capable, and Jeremy Renner did well with what he had there, but the script was a gigantic piece of poo poo from the start. And that is why the military pulled out of the movie. Not because it is vaguely antiwar.

Zero Dark Thirty was better, but by no means was it a GOOD movie. Kathryn Bigelow's last good movie was Point Break, which was amazing. It didn't try to be anything it wasn't.

The Hurt Locker is also not trying to be anything it's not, which is why they refused to change the script. The perception that if you don't portray the experiences of soldiers 'faithfully' means you 'didn't really learn anything' doesn't account for propaganda movies. These also are entirely un-faithful to the experiences of soldiers, usually, but nonetheless express truths about the military.

The reason the military pulled out of The Hurt Locker was not because of the film's relative inaccuracies, or because they give a poo poo about the quality of the film itself, but, rather, because of what the film meant. The military doesn't give a tinker's drat about accuracy, or at least not anymore than any profession that yields to the hyperbole of cinema. If the opposite were the case, military propaganda would clearly constitute a far worse artistic and ethical concern than The Hurt Locker, which merely takes the discourse of military recruitment propaganda and satirizes it as basically being exactly like an action movie. (See, also: Act of Valor.)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

david_a posted:

Lost Soul was pretty cool and, like everyone said, I don't think you need to have seen The Island of Dr Moreau to enjoy it (I was actually kind of surprised by how little of the movie they showed). Are there other documentaries about terrible movies worth watching (not necessarily on Netflix)? I've seen Best Worst Movie too.

I just watched Lost Soul last night and really dug it. The closest documentary I can think of would be Lost in La Mancha about Terry Gilliams failed attempt to get a Don Quixote movie made. Also there is Overnight about Troy Duffy (Boondock Saints) flaming out of Hollywood. I don't think either are streaming anywhere right now, though they have been on Netflix in the past.

e: forgot this one, but Jodorowsky's Dune is in that same vein

I'd love some other suggestions too

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 11, 2015

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
It's not streaming, I don't think, but you should really watch American Movie If you haven't seen it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Enos Cabell posted:

I just watched Lost Soul last night and really dug it. The closest documentary I can think of would be Lost in La Mancha about Terry Gilliams failed attempt to get a Don Quixote movie made. Also there is Overnight about Troy Duffy (Boondock Saints) flaming out of Hollywood. I don't think either are streaming anywhere right now, though they have been on Netflix in the past.

e: forgot this one, but Jodorowsky's Dune is in that same vein

I'd love some other suggestions too

The existence of Boondock Saints is justified by Overnight. It's incredible watching Troy Duffy be given the chance of a lifetime, and then watching him squander it and burn all his bridges. It doesn't appear to be on any streaming, which is disappointing, because it's pretty good.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Overnight is on Youtube and yeah, it's really good and the most schadenfreude film there is.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

axleblaze posted:

Overnight is on Youtube and yeah, it's really good and the most schadenfreude film there is.

I read this as The Overnight. Crap I really want to see The Overnight.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

K. Waste posted:

The Hurt Locker is also not trying to be anything it's not, which is why they refused to change the script. The perception that if you don't portray the experiences of soldiers 'faithfully' means you 'didn't really learn anything' doesn't account for propaganda movies. These also are entirely un-faithful to the experiences of soldiers, usually, but nonetheless express truths about the military.

The reason the military pulled out of The Hurt Locker was not because of the film's relative inaccuracies, or because they give a poo poo about the quality of the film itself, but, rather, because of what the film meant. The military doesn't give a tinker's drat about accuracy, or at least not anymore than any profession that yields to the hyperbole of cinema. If the opposite were the case, military propaganda would clearly constitute a far worse artistic and ethical concern than The Hurt Locker, which merely takes the discourse of military recruitment propaganda and satirizes it as basically being exactly like an action movie. (See, also: Act of Valor.)

Don't forget that the miltary supported and worked on Tranformers 2, a movie whose climax is the group of hero soldiers committing treason by ignoring a direct order from the president and going rogue.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

axleblaze posted:

Still dope.

Sleeveless posted:

Don't forget that the miltary supported and worked on Tranformers 2, a movie whose climax is the group of hero soldiers committing treason by ignoring a direct order from the president and going rogue.

Exactly. Like, clearly Michael Bay's vision of hell-raising chaos is a way worse depiction of the military than anything in The Hurt Locker, but it gains support because of the perception that it pits these soldiers as the unambiguous good guys against an unambiguous enemy in a scenario where "War is too important to be left to the senators." So, really, The Hurt Locker captures the mentality and propaganda of the military with startling and horrific accuracy, and that's what the military doesn't like.

Wait, you mean we should always take the military with a grain of salt when it comes to claims of authenticity?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Loki_XLII posted:

It's not streaming, I don't think, but you should really watch American Movie If you haven't seen it.

It's streaming on Crackle.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Is The Guest a straight up action movie or are there thriller components to it as well?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is The Guest a straight up action movie or are there thriller components to it as well?

It's a thriller/horror movie for most of the build up, then it gets actiony, then it goes back to being thriller/horror for the end.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Just noticed Slow West is free on Amazon Prime. I shouldn't get my hopes up, but a western + Fassbender is right up my alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

Just noticed Slow West is free on Amazon Prime. I shouldn't get my hopes up, but a western + Fassbender is right up my alley.

It's good.