Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Poppy Bush's one saving grace is that he was in between Reagan and Gingrich, so he looks sane by comparison. Other than that, he was a standard lovely Republican.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

sharkbomb posted:

This article is interesting.

I'm just some guy on the internet that has enjoyed watching Trump crash into the Republican primary, but it really seems to me like his campaign is evolving into something no one expected: legitimate. I mean, the guy was in Iowa eating meat on a stick this past weekend alongside all of the other candidates. The media narrative is considerably less focused on trying to predict WHEN Trump will drop out. After surviving a few very bad "gaffes" (for a traditional pol) and beating back the FNC onslaught, no one can really define what will sink Trump's campaign. It's very early in the campaign cycle, but he has dominated the process on the Republican side and doesn't seem like he's going away anytime soon.

When does the media narrative shift to asking how Jeb/Walker/Rubio will beat Trump? They have as much money as they could possibly spend, but without any enthusiasm I don't think they'll be able to get serious traction. They can spend 100 million dollars to shift a couple of percentage points in the polls but Trump will still be sitting on top. If Trump invests in a ground game to go along with the enthusiasm on his side I think the establishment is totally hosed and this could be a weird rebirth of the Republican party in the fallout.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

How are you defining ground game here? A state by state organization of people that get out, go door to door, poll people, etc? Similar to how Obama was able to mobilize a bunch of young volunteers better then Hillary in 08?

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

BexGu posted:

How are you defining ground game here? A state by state organization of people that get out, go door to door, poll people, etc? Similar to how Obama was able to mobilize a bunch of young volunteers better then Hillary in 08?

In the context of the primary, I am wondering if Trump will be able to build an organization that can convert supporters into actual voters. The Washington Post article made it sound like this was in the works.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Found Trump's New Slogan

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

The cupcake flag with a few bites out of it will be remembered as the peak of devotion to the Jindal campaign

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Found Trump's New Slogan

man this is a straight up traditional fascist slogan

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Joementum posted:

New EE forum background?

Garry Shandling is Batman too?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Found Trump's New Slogan

The cheese stands alone.
The cheese stands alone.
Hi-ho the merry-o,
The Trump stands alone.

TRUMP 2016: I am the cheese.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
My take is that oldish white people (basically, people that vote in GOP primaries) often have the luxury of being able to vote without much hassle and in more stable circumstances compared relatively to other groups. By extension this means knowing what day they're supposed to vote and where they're supposed to vote. I almost feel that the focus on the ground game for the GOP primary is a red herring here. But we'll see. I just hope that any success Trump has isn't automatically attributed to "the amazing ground game" Trump "must have" put together to have that success, and people actually analyze it once it's over.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 17, 2015

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Huckabee posted this on his Twitter

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Straight outta hope of becoming president IMHO

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

I CAN'T BE STOPPED OR REASONED WITH

his meme-fu is stronger than Hillary's, at least.

I wonder what she'd think of that, in three emojis or less.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

STRAIGHT OUTTA hope, air, oh my god im dying

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

also if huckabee was elected itd be really weird to have two presidents from the same tiny town in arkansas

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

I feel like this can't possibly help him with his base. "Is Mike Huckabee Glorifying Cop Hating Negrows With Attitudes?". If he got any traction at all, this would be a misstep, but I suppose it won't hurt his pray-away-the-diabeetus business.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I think Mikey just really, really loved that movie.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Last night, I was very bored, noticed that we'd reached page 1000, and figured I could use some practice with soul-crushing data entry Excel. So I figured I'd measure just how much we've been posting about Trump over the course of the thread. I did weed out uses of the word "trump" as in X Trumps Y (at least, up until Trump started getting a lot of discussion, and uses of the verb trump were mostly used in reference to Trump, and we got sentences like "Trump trumps Trump trumps"), as well as MIGF and... someone else's custom titles that have Trump's name in them. I also noted significant Trump-related events, and any posts that got particularly amusing in hindsight that I happened to notice. It doesn't make for a particularly pretty graph, thanks to the large sample size and extreme page-to-page variation, but I've got all the data together, so if anyone wants to see a particular period, I can whip up a new chart whenever. The black line is a 100-page floating average.

That high point early in the thread was when Trump launched his exploratory campaign.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Page 156 posted:

Imagine the kind of sycophants who must surround him, the people who Donald Trump bounces ideas off of and encourage him to run for president.

Page 511 posted:

Pork Chop On A Stick is probably right out with the Ames straw poll canned

it makes me sad

Page 243 posted:

By the time of first GOP debate, how many candidates do you think we will have. I'm going to say at least 8.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

Into the helicopter went William, 9; Sean, 6; Brendan, 5; and Henry, who just turned 3. Their mother went with them. Henry got scared just before takeoff and left the aircraft to be with his father. The other boys remained. William brought a GoPro camera to capture the experience; a clip later wound up on Facebook.

"Mr. Trump," he said, aiming the camera at his benefactor.

"Yes," Trump said, pulling on the lapels of his jacket.

"Are you Batman?" the boy asked.

"I am Batman," Trump said.

trump 2016

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

The Lord of Hats posted:

Last night, I was very bored, noticed that we'd reached page 1000, and figured I could use some practice with soul-crushing data entry Excel. So I figured I'd measure just how much we've been posting about Trump over the course of the thread. I did weed out uses of the word "trump" as in X Trumps Y (at least, up until Trump started getting a lot of discussion, and uses of the verb trump were mostly used in reference to Trump, and we got sentences like "Trump trumps Trump trumps"), as well as MIGF and... someone else's custom titles that have Trump's name in them. I also noted significant Trump-related events, and any posts that got particularly amusing in hindsight that I happened to notice. It doesn't make for a particularly pretty graph, thanks to the large sample size and extreme page-to-page variation, but I've got all the data together, so if anyone wants to see a particular period, I can whip up a new chart whenever. The black line is a 100-page floating average.

That high point early in the thread was when Trump launched his exploratory campaign.

That's awesome! If you want to take things a bit further, look toward LOESS smoothing which can be done in Excel.

Or invert your Y axis and call your trendline "The depravity to which Trumpism has sunk SA" :getin:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
if you're looking for stuff to be worried about re: trump you should be less concerned with primary campaign immigration promises and more concerned with the fact that this is one charismatic fucker. He wraps his corpse-like hair around his head and if the republican party took notes could resurrect their popularity outside safe states

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
Trump is starting to get noticed even here in Japan:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
I think about this press release now almost daily and still laugh every time.

https://twitter.com/HollyShulman/status/610834338498916352

What a summer, folks. What a summer.

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

I CAN'T BE STOPPED OR REASONED WITH

Auritech posted:

Trump is starting to get noticed even here in Japan:

I was about to say, "Why are all the people blond," but then, yeah. duh.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Pinterest Mom posted:

Into the helicopter went William, 9; Sean, 6; Brendan, 5; and Henry, who just turned 3. Their mother went with them. Henry got scared just before takeoff and left the aircraft to be with his father. The other boys remained. William brought a GoPro camera to capture the experience; a clip later wound up on Facebook.

"Mr. Trump," he said, aiming the camera at his benefactor.

"Yes," Trump said, pulling on the lapels of his jacket.

"Are you Batman?" the boy asked.

"I am Batman," Trump said.

Joementum posted:

New EE forum background?

:allears: I love this stupid, stupid country.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Dahbadu posted:

From the first day of announcing his candidacy, I've always been of the opinion that Trump was to be taken seriously and was going to win the GOP nom unless:
- A consensus of opinion shaping right wing media focused their guns on him in a sustained way. Basically, the fear machine targeted him.
- He ended up being a lovely debater and looked foolish/weak/liberal, opening the chink in his armor for this media to target.

None of this has happened, and it doesn't seem like it's really going to. If trend lines continue, it seems like his support is strong enough among the base that there may not be any delegate hijinks to worry about either.

Honestly, I'm not sure what can take him out. Maybe some major red meat scandal involving a homosexual experience in college combined with him secretly being a Democrat?

Also, here's a really good video that explains primaries, caucuses, and delegates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_QeYCg4yJ8

I'm not entirely sure what it's going to take for Trump's campaign to fail. He's said some pretty dumb things and gotten lambasted by the media (unfairly and fairly) and he's still not really losing support.

The 2008 and 2012 flame outs just said one dumb thing or did one dumb action and then were forgotten about (aside from running on PAC life support).

What kind of bad thing is Trump going to have to do to ruin his campaign given that all the bad poo poo he's done until now hasn't really negatively affected him? People say 'Time' but he's 2nd choice in most polls I've seen.

Also for some useless anecdotal evidence, I live in one of the most right-wing areas of the country and people absolutely love Trump and his 'tell it like it is no apologies' attitude. I don't think they're gonna stop liking him for lack of political correctness. They are genuinely excited about him. Also the people who were praying in 1000+ people prayer circles for Huckabee in 2008 are going for Carson this time around.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Joementum posted:

New EE forum background?

When Cruz inevitability gets VP we can draw him as Robin,a good election

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Haha Ted Cruz as Trump's VP actually makes sense.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

SirKibbles posted:

When Cruz inevitability gets VP we can draw him as Robin,a good election

And then VP-in-perpetuity Biden will play the Joker! :haw:

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
Does it end with a country wide vote over whether or not Biden murders Cruz with a crowbar? I may need to change my vote if so.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

As a Minnesotan, I have to say I am deeply ashamed of that stupid goddamn suburb ring that supports Bachmann and now Walker.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm actually considering voting Trump and it makes me scared.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Bush not more popular than Trump in any part of Florida, heh.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

This image really bums me out. Like five cupcakes are gone and just... :smith:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

blue squares posted:

Bobby is so depressing. Just knowing that he exists and thought he could become the president makes me a little sadder inside

Bobby is like the presidential hopeful version of that kid who invites all of his classmates to a party at Main Event where his parents reserved a massive area...only maybe two of the kids he invited actually show up.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Lycus posted:

Bush not more popular than Trump in any part of Florida, heh.

just note its not a scientific poll, its from "isidewith.com"

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

The Donald cannot be described - there is no language for such abysms of shrieking and immemorial lunacy, such eldritch contradictions of all matter, force, and cosmic order. A mountain of cash walked or stumbled.

If I say that my somewhat extravagant imagination yielded simultaneous pictures of a yooge, luxurious, human caricature, I shall not be unfaithful to the spirit of the thing. A tanned, toupeed head surmounted a magnificent and suited body with finest tailored clothes; but it was the general outline of the whole which made it most shockingly frightful.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
The only thing that can stop trump now is el chapo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

FaustianQ posted:

The Donald cannot be described - there is no language for such abysms of shrieking and immemorial lunacy, such eldritch contradictions of all matter, force, and cosmic order. A mountain of cash walked or stumbled.

Euclidean geometry is loser talk. Use set theory.

• Locked thread