Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Looper posted:

Also which battle specifically are you talking about? Story missions should rarely swarm you, but the enemies in "random" encounters will always all bum rush you from the start because interesting AI is hard

Ah ok that makes more sense then. Here's my bottleneck:

I'm on a story mission where you have to protect a princess and her little mage buddy (I forget their names at the moment). Anyway, they are separate from your main group.

I figured I could grind a little bit to better handle the fight, but I can't beat the drat grinding levels because dudes just bum rush me.

Maybe I should just try the story mission again, now that I know that you won't get rushed so bad in those. Cause yeah, now that you mention it I was able to kite guys in and kill them in storyline missions but never really put it together why this wouldn't work when it came to the grinding levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

triplexpac posted:

Ah ok that makes more sense then. Here's my bottleneck:

I'm on a story mission where you have to protect a princess and her little mage buddy (I forget their names at the moment). Anyway, they are separate from your main group.

I figured I could grind a little bit to better handle the fight, but I can't beat the drat grinding levels because dudes just bum rush me.

Maybe I should just try the story mission again, now that I know that you won't get rushed so bad in those. Cause yeah, now that you mention it I was able to kite guys in and kill them in storyline missions but never really put it together why this wouldn't work when it came to the grinding levels.

General tip for that map: You should have picked up a Rescue staff from a chest in one of the side missions. Pair up Maribelle and Ricken, have them move as far south as possible, and have Lissa use the Rescue staff on them. If she doesn't have enough Magic to reach them, have someone that grants +Magic Pair Up with her. Then just plug up the holes with your high defense units and take them down, and beware of fortresses, because enemies will spawn in them.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

iirc X is the button that displays the areas in which the entire enemy army can attack

If you're not using it, turn it on and keep it on

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Terper posted:

General tip for that map: You should have picked up a Rescue staff from a chest in one of the side missions. Pair up Maribelle and Ricken, have them move as far south as possible, and have Lissa use the Rescue staff on them. If she doesn't have enough Magic to reach them, have someone that grants +Magic Pair Up with her. Then just plug up the holes with your high defense units and take them down, and beware of fortresses, because enemies will spawn in them.

Ahh good idea. I had the rescue staff idea but when I tried they were out of range, didn't think of moving them closer for some dumb reason.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Another tip is that if Lissa doesn't have enough magic even with moving them, just pair her up with Miriel or your Main Unit to give her bonus magic to give that extra reach.

Stats are far more important than quantity in Fire Emblem.

edit: Also, buy stat potions. They last for 1 map, but you can stack different ones, they're cheap, and +2 is effectively 2 levels which is a lot.

Tae fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 27, 2015

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Tae posted:

Another tip is that if Lissa doesn't have enough magic even with moving them, just pair her up with Miriel or your Main Unit to give her bonus magic to give that extra reach.

Stats are far more important than quantity in Fire Emblem.

Good bases are also very important because that means less time spent to reach the threshold for good stats.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If I wanted to get a gameboy, I should get a GB Advance, SP, right? This + a new 3ds would allow me to play the entire handheld library, if I am reading things correctly.

The SP has a better screen than the non SP?

If this is correct, how much should I look to spend?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Waltzing Along posted:

If I wanted to get a gameboy, I should get a GB Advance, SP, right? This + a new 3ds would allow me to play the entire handheld library, if I am reading things correctly.

If you're going with an SP, make sure to get an AGS-101 model. It's got the proper backlit screen as opposed to a frontlit one and looks a hundred times better. Should run you in the ballpark of 30-40 bucks. The stock colors for the 101 were a dark grey (noticably different from the black SP), pearl pink and a baby blue.

EDIT: here's a picture showing the difference in screen quality.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Vegastar posted:

The stock colors for the 101 were a dark grey (noticably different from the black SP), pearl pink and a baby blue.

Are those the only three colors?

E: Nope. There is at least an Onyx Black version. Oh, and that silver one down below.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 27, 2015

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

A friend of mine had this one when I was like 11 and everyone thought he was so cool

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

why would you need any color other than pink

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Waltzing Along posted:

Wikipedia says there's also a spongebob model and a "limited edition pokemon" one, but pickings were limited. One of those late-model redesigns nintendo likes to do.

EDIT: seeing above, the reasons I mentioned those is the original AGS-001 is the one with the frontlit screen. There's a fuckload of colors for that one, but only the later model AGS-101s have the nice backlit screen instead of the mediocre one.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

E: Nope. There is at least an Onyx Black version. Oh, and that silver one down below.

The "onyx black" and the Dark grey one are one and the same. Nintendo called it Graphite. The 101 only had 3 official colors plus the EU-only "Tribal" version seen above. There were special edition Pokemon and Spongebob ones, as well.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Awesome! posted:

why would you need any color other than pink

I don't really care, to be honest. Just wanted to make sure I had my info correct.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Policenaut posted:

Meanwhile, series creator Akitoshi Kawazu has assembled his own team (like good SaGa soundtrack guy Kenji Ito) at Square-Enix to make the first new non-browser/mobile SaGa game in 13 years for PlayStation Vita.

whats this

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Awesome! posted:

whats this

SaGa 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM1EwPU1LgA

Only this teaser trailer exists, Kawazu's like "yo I'm working really hard on the game right now and I don't wanna show it to you until I'm ready." Interviews make it sound like the real successor to Romancing SaGa 3, but just different enough that they won't call it 4.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

triplexpac posted:

If you have the DLC gate, go find the mission pack that gives you EXPonential Growth. You can grind that mission somewhat safely, as the enemies will not attack you, and you can pick off the ones you can kill. Just a tip though, watch the levels of the guys you hit.

The Splatoon Squid Sister's theme that came out today(?) is pretty great.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Really loving LBX so far. The world feels very much like Pokemon, because people settle their differences with tiny robots in battle. At one point 3 baddies are going to "take care" of a kid, so they sit outside while controlling the robots that break into the kid's house. A fight ensues, the baddies end up losing, and they just gently caress off because "welp I guess there is nothing we can do since our toy robots are broken". It's great.

The customization is definitely plentiful with swapping out limbs as well as playing tetris in a cube to utilize core parts such as batteries, cpus, motors, etc. Hopefully I stop being broke at some point so I can afford the stuff I unlocked at the shop.

Many of the battles have been 2 vs 2 and 3 vs 3 so far which is nice. I thought it was all solo battles initially. Really looking forward to more unlocks and story.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Policenaut posted:

SaGa 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM1EwPU1LgA

Only this teaser trailer exists, Kawazu's like "yo I'm working really hard on the game right now and I don't wanna show it to you until I'm ready." Interviews make it sound like the real successor to Romancing SaGa 3, but just different enough that they won't call it 4.
cool

Anora posted:

If you have the DLC gate, go find the mission pack that gives you EXPonential Growth. You can grind that mission somewhat safely, as the enemies will not attack you, and you can pick off the ones you can kill. Just a tip though, watch the levels of the guys you hit.
if youre playing on normal you can just grind reeking boxes

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Ragequit posted:

The customization is definitely plentiful with swapping out limbs as well as playing tetris in a cube to utilize core parts such as batteries, cpus, motors, etc. Hopefully I stop being broke at some point so I can afford the stuff I unlocked at the shop.

Many of the battles have been 2 vs 2 and 3 vs 3 so far which is nice. I thought it was all solo battles initially. Really looking forward to more unlocks and story.

I'm in Chapter 11 and the best source of money has been quests and then fighting random battles in areas where those can occur. Since this is actually an older game, there's a handy resource for all the quests which I've referenced on a couple confusing ones. The names aren't localized, though: http://danball-senki.wikia.com/wiki/Side-Quest_BBS_Guide

I also try to finish as many battles as possible with Breaking Blows (if you don't know what those are, you'll be introduced to them in time), which gives more drops that sell for not a lot but it helps I guess. Breaking Blows and extended juggle combos into special attack routines are the reasons the combat is still fun for me even into the later chapters.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Ragequit posted:

Really loving LBX so far. The world feels very much like Pokemon, because people settle their differences with tiny robots in battle. At one point 3 baddies are going to "take care" of a kid, so they sit outside while controlling the robots that break into the kid's house. A fight ensues, the baddies end up losing, and they just gently caress off because "welp I guess there is nothing we can do since our toy robots are broken". It's great.

You're definitely going to get tired of seeing the same battle environments over and over but there are some that are really fun and have a lot of cover. I wish that battle in Van's house could be done again because that's a fun, unique environment.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I'm in Chapter 11 and the best source of money has been quests and then fighting random battles in areas where those can occur. Since this is actually an older game, there's a handy resource for all the quests which I've referenced on a couple confusing ones. The names aren't localized, though: http://danball-senki.wikia.com/wiki/Side-Quest_BBS_Guide

I also try to finish as many battles as possible with Breaking Blows (if you don't know what those are, you'll be introduced to them in time), which gives more drops that sell for not a lot but it helps I guess. Breaking Blows and extended juggle combos into special attack routines are the reasons the combat is still fun for me even into the later chapters.

I would really really like to see the next two games get localized but I think it hinges on whether or not Nickelodeon localizes the next two series.

muike fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 28, 2015

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

muike posted:

You're definitely going to get tired of seeing the same battle environments over and over but there are some that are really fun and have a lot of cover. I wish that battle in Van's house could be done again because that's a fun, unique environment.

There's something like 20 environments so I don't notice myself getting tired of any of them except for the boring grassland with the little plateau in the middle and that miserable volcano that the AI goes all stupid on with repeatedly jumping into/over lava and dashing and not actually doing anything.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

There's something like 20 environments so I don't notice myself getting tired of any of them except for the boring grassland with the little plateau in the middle and that miserable volcano that the AI goes all stupid on with repeatedly jumping into/over lava and dashing and not actually doing anything.

It's mostly the grassland, yeah. Most of the fights against random people on the streets seem to use that environment unless you use your own battlecube.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Those are just the special attacks when your opponent is below 20% health right? It also says if you miss you overheat instantly. Have you lost battles attempting it?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Ragequit posted:

Those are just the special attacks when your opponent is below 20% health right? It also says if you miss you overheat instantly. Have you lost battles attempting it?

I have lost once or twice because if it, but most of the time you can run around and heal and/or use a Cool-Me-Down to just instantly get rid of Overheat. Also, thanks to the ability to juggle into special attack routines I mentioned earlier, missing with them often is not an issue at all. That problem really only comes up if I've weakened them too far to hit them with a launcher without killing them.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Possibly a stupid question but you can't damage the 3DS speakers by playing stuff at max volume, right? I'd assume at least official retail games wouldn't be able to go outside a safe range.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

The gba sp owns and is my favorite Nintendo handheld outside of the 3ds.

And yes get the ags-101, the screen is gorgeous. The only downside to the gba sp is that it has no headphone port without a breakout cable, but once you get one you're golden.

It's worth it to own an SP just to play advance wars on, which is mostly what I do with mine.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Oh no, LBX has capsule machines to gamble away your money for parts. Got over half the Achilles 2 set. RIP money.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ragequit posted:

Oh no, LBX has capsule machines to gamble away your money for parts. Got over half the Achilles 2 set. RIP money.

There's a trick to those, a little exploit. Basically what you do is roll on the expensive gatcha until the part you want comes up, then reset and roll a cheap gatcha that amount of times -1, then just do that last roll on the expensive machine. You'll get the correct part.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Infinity Gaia posted:

There's a trick to those, a little exploit. Basically what you do is roll on the expensive gatcha until the part you want comes up, then reset and roll a cheap gatcha that amount of times -1, then just do that last roll on the expensive machine. You'll get the correct part.

You are my new and truest friend.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Infinity Gaia posted:

I noticed there was a pattern - so just waste the duplicate part draws on a 700 credit machine then.

Also, what are the additional icons in the grade section for? I understand Normal -> High -> Master -> Top Grade and such, but there are often slashes and additional letters on the grade icon in some equipment.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Ragequit posted:

I noticed there was a pattern - so just waste the duplicate part draws on a 700 credit machine then.

Also, what are the additional icons in the grade section for? I understand Normal -> High -> Master -> Top Grade and such, but there are often slashes and additional letters on the grade icon in some equipment.

V for Van, A for Amy, K for Kaz. H, D, and J for the other three playable characters in the main story. M for any other character, it seems. They're generally just slight cosmetic differences but otherwise should be the same as normal parts of that model and grade.

Also MG was replaced by TG in this game, so it's just NG HG TG.

Edit: Speaking of LBX, a new password was put up on Miiverse for another Top Grade suit: H331P41n

And for the sake of completeness and because I think some of these weren't posted here before, here's the other codes released thusfar (at least that I know of):

alFa7H3r, op3nD80x, ChaiN$aW, 8aDDr3am, w0LFGUnr, kuNaI807, H3eL8L0k, PiNp0in7, 8igs7iCK, Fir3ClaW, 4x3grIND, HIghn3$$

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 28, 2015

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Why doesn't LBX have online multiplayer? Custom Robo on the DS had online multiplayer. I hate my life.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Ragequit posted:

Once you get the Tune Up kit, you can change the armor class/weight of the part. You can lower armor class rating for reduced weight (minus symbol), keep it normal (slash symbol) or raise armor class for increased weight (plus symbol) Weight affects the speed rating of your LBX.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The gba sp owns and is my favorite Nintendo handheld outside of the 3ds.

Echo suggestions of the 101. Only better way to play gb/gba is on your couch with a wavebird on a GC gameboy player.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Did the AGS 101 version never get released in Europe, they're super expensive on eBay here. Compared to the older version anyway.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The SP is the best handheld system I've ever owned, but man does it feel small in my hands as an adult.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I still have a DS Lite that I've dusted off and started playing again on my breaks at work. I'm really not looking to get a newer handheld, but maybe you guys won't mind my question here.

What are some must-play games? I currently own and enjoy the following:

Phoenix Wright series
New Super Mario Bros
Zelda Spirit Tracks
Elite Beat Agents
Animal Crossing
Yoshi's Island
Mario Kart

I'm thinking I should get the Castlevania games for sure and maybe an RPG. I'm not a huge Pokémon fan. Also I guess this thing plays GBA games so I'd be open for suggestions there too.

Thanks for any advice.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Ghost Trick/999/Rhythm Heaven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Ferret King posted:

I still have a DS Lite that I've dusted off and started playing again on my breaks at work. I'm really not looking to get a newer handheld, but maybe you guys won't mind my question here.

What are some must-play games? I currently own and enjoy the following:

Phoenix Wright series
New Super Mario Bros
Zelda Spirit Tracks
Elite Beat Agents
Animal Crossing
Yoshi's Island
Mario Kart

I'm thinking I should get the Castlevania games for sure and maybe an RPG. I'm not a huge Pokémon fan. Also I guess this thing plays GBA games so I'd be open for suggestions there too.

Thanks for any advice.

Custom Robo Arena
Infinite Space
Radiant Historia
Mega Man Zero Collection
Time Hollow
The World Ends With You
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy IV
Hotel Dusk
Last Window: Secret of Cape West
Advance Wars: Dual Strike.