Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Recruiter contacted me about a high level I.T. job in my industry. I referred him to the guy that took over for me at the last place. :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

SaltLick posted:

How in the hell do you get a new job when you have zero PTO or vacation days accrued and can only interview after 5-6PM or on weekends?

I have decided I really don't want to be here in a small business MSP and am already looking for an exit. Just hit my 60 day probationary period too.
Interview for remote positions if you can swing it. :yaycloud:

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The director of IT just got terminated.

Me IRL:

I've had four managers in four years. Ain't no thang.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Aunt Beth posted:

I've had four managers in four years. Ain't no thang.

I've had 12 in the same time. Hooray banking!

For what it's worth, I run my own shop so who I report to really doesn't matter and it has had no effect on my team, the work we do, or the outcome of it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Lord Dudeguy posted:

The models generally paint a picture of landfall in the Carolinas/Maryland by Monday:

The models are also saying it'll be either a weak CAT1 or a TS by landfall Monday:

Maybe that's just the :tinfoil: pessimist in me.

:edit: Holy gently caress I'm a weather nerd. :(

Average case puts us at getting between 8-12" of rain this weekend. Good thing I live on a hill!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, I know what you mean. Boulder and Fort Collins both have pretty good job markets if you have experience. There are also smaller towns in between the two that always have postings, but not as many. Loveland and Longmont in particular are on highways leading up into the mountains. Fort Collins kind of is as well, but there's a bigass reservoir in the way that means the commute from the mountains would be longer.

I would advise taking a look at maps of historical floods and fires before buying property, though.

My experience with Boulder is bicyclists that have forgotten who wins in a car vs. human pissing match, annoying crosswalks for students, and a weed dispensary literally across the street from the courthouse. The beer is good, though.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That bicyclist thing is true for all of Colorado. The dispensary thing is pretty funny, though.

We love it here, and really hope we can stay. Health problems might interfere and require a move to sunnier climes, but we're hoping that can be avoided. It's also cool being superman when you go visit lowlanders.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That bicyclist thing is true for all of Colorado. The dispensary thing is pretty funny, though.

We love it here, and really hope we can stay. Health problems might interfere and require a move to sunnier climes, but we're hoping that can be avoided. It's also cool being superman when you go visit lowlanders.

The bicyclist thing is true for every city I've been to that has a high bicycle population. I live in chicago, and I swear to god if I wasn't the most attentive person in the car I could rack up at least one vehicular manslaughter charge every day driving to and from work.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I posted this question as an edit to a post some time ago (so it was likely glossed over).

I'm going from a senior IT administrator role to a technical team lead / management position (moving our security resource under me, as well as hiring a new resource, possibly a second - one offer already out).

My only other experience in a leadership role is within a position where I had very little control over managing my team outside of giving them technical guidance, whereas where I'm at here I have a degree of budgetary, project planning, training, etc autonomy.

:b]So:[/b] Does anyone have recommended reading on managing small teams and doing so effectively (and managing the gap between "getting poo poo done" and "keeping people happy and pleasant")? I've been pretty much a singular role for the last 4 years with a ton of institutional knowledge; so since this came to be I've been centralizing all my notes and documentation, and I have my own ideas - but I'd also like to do the requisite reading up front as well.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
New DevOps cert that we'll all have to get:

http://devopsleague.com/

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Why is it so hard for people to name things on IOS in all caps?

How do you sleep at night naming a vrf something like "ExampleHRdmz"

"TeeHeeACLwithNOusefulInformation"

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Walked posted:

I posted this question as an edit to a post some time ago (so it was likely glossed over).

I'm going from a senior IT administrator role to a technical team lead / management position (moving our security resource under me, as well as hiring a new resource, possibly a second - one offer already out).

My only other experience in a leadership role is within a position where I had very little control over managing my team outside of giving them technical guidance, whereas where I'm at here I have a degree of budgetary, project planning, training, etc autonomy.

So: Does anyone have recommended reading on managing small teams and doing so effectively (and managing the gap between "getting poo poo done" and "keeping people happy and pleasant")? I've been pretty much a singular role for the last 4 years with a ton of institutional knowledge; so since this came to be I've been centralizing all my notes and documentation, and I have my own ideas - but I'd also like to do the requisite reading up front as well.
The best technical management book I ever read was Scott Berkun's Making Things Happen. It's ostensibly a project management book, but only insofar as projects are done by people and they need to be managed. I also consider Bob Sutton's The No rear end in a top hat Rule to be mandatory material for new managers: it's a great and scientific look at how certain behaviors can poison the well for a team, and how you as a manager can help guide around them. Lastly, while it's an oldie, I'd also recommend Bob Sutton's The Knowing-Doing Gap for helping understand a number of ways to avoid organizations failing to live up to their potential even when they know the right course of action.

When poo poo goes south, Sidney Dekker's The Field Guide to Understanding Human Error is a good look at how systemic failures occur. I started doing a summary in the IT books megathread but had a kid or something and ran out of free time to finish. Someday.

As far as blogs go, you can't beat Rands in Repose or Kate Matsudaira.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 1, 2015

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Dick Trauma posted:

Recruiter contacted me about a high level I.T. job in my industry. I referred him to the guy that took over for me at the last place. :laugh:

This both amazing and ice cold.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dark Helmut posted:

A good recruiter will help you tighten up your resume for free, just saying...

This is true even if said good recruiter isn't actively helping you with the job hunt :3:

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Vulture Culture posted:

The best technical management book I ever read was Scott Berkun's Making Things Happen. It's ostensibly a project management book, but only insofar as projects are done by people and they need to be managed. I also consider Bob Sutton's The No rear end in a top hat Rule to be mandatory material for new managers: it's a great and scientific look at how certain behaviors can poison the well for a team, and how you as a manager can help guide around them. Lastly, while it's an oldie, I'd also recommend Bob Sutton's The Knowing-Doing Gap for helping understand a number of ways to avoid organizations failing to live up to their potential even when they know the right course of action.

When poo poo goes south, Sidney Dekker's The Field Guide to Understanding Human Error is a good look at how systemic failures occur. I started doing a summary in the IT books megathread but had a kid or something and ran out of free time to finish. Someday.

As far as blogs go, you can't beat Rands in Repose or Kate Matsudaira.

This is great; thank you.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

New DevOps cert that we'll all have to get:

http://devopsleague.com/

This couldn't have come at a better time for me lol, thanks

Context: One of the Lean / Agile Coaches at my job posted this (self-described) 'rant' in our #random slack channel about how devops is lean and saying we have a devops team is like saying we have a lean team but developers are lean too so it doesn't make sense because devops is a mindset that improves the value across all teams. Lean / Agile Coach #2 chimes in to say that organizations that name their teams after concepts are completely missing the point because it's a mindset and not an activity.

I love that our COO chimed in to say "we don't care what the teams call themselves, as long as they stick with those principles"

This conversation continued as one can imagine.

I'm going to print that cert and hang it on my wall at work.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The director of IT just got terminated.

Me IRL:

When I got hired, I answered to the Director of Purchasing. He retired.
So then I answered to the CFO. He got fired.
Now I answer to the General Manager, until they hire a new CFO.

I've been here 6 months. :suicide:

Then again, everyone who left had this mentality that nothing should ever change in the ski industry, and those who are left are much younger and tech-friendly.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
fart

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 23, 2018

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Chickenwalker posted:

Regardless of whatever legal agreement you may eventually come to with copyright holders, torrenting :filez: on a corporate network is a horrible idea right? Not just for legal reasons but because it's a huge security risk since you don't know what the hell you're actually downloading and it's pretty likely it'll come with something malicious.

I know this pretty much instinctively, but I'm getting so much stink eye from supervisors and co-workers when I press the issue that I feel like I'm taking crazy pills or something.

Barring some very limited circumstances, permitting torrents on your network is a bad idea. Yeah yeah, linux distros and whatnot, but all of that poo poo is available via HTTP mirrors and FTP so gently caress off developer guy. Just make sure you're using an appliance that does layer 7 deep packet inspection to block it, because blocking standard BT ports is pointless these days since most trackers will support multiple random ports.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

^^ yeah what he said

Chickenwalker posted:

I'm getting so much stink eye from supervisors and co-workers when I press the issue that I feel like I'm taking crazy pills or something.

:psyduck:

If multiple people at your place of work think torrents are acceptable I think you need to either hire some outside security consultants to deliver a smackdown they'll pay attention to (theoretically) and/or if that doesn't work :yotj: .

From a network perspective even torrenting legal things is a bit of an issue because of the potential bandwidth use, connections to random IPs, etc.

ManSauceGuzzlr
Jul 18, 2004

"That man...I'm...fascinated by him. That look...his whole look. It's hypnotic."
I have a career question for you guys. This is my first year working in IT, I've managed to get both my CCNA and MCSA, and I'm finishing up my Sec+ now. I started at my current company 5 months ago in their NOC as a technician, getting paid a fairly reasonable hourly rate. Two weeks ago I got moved to the security department, which has been really great, I got typical 9-5 hours, a cubicle, and the work is much more fulfilling. However, what I haven't gotten yet is a title change or a salary increase. My new job duties often require me to be on call or review stuff on the weekends, but I'm still hourly so I don't get paid for it.
My question is how long I should wait before I start seriously considering looking at jobs for a different company. I know I haven't been working there very long, and I don't have much experience, but this situation feels... weird. Should I just ride it out, and if so for how long?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

You should start now

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ManSauceGuzzlr posted:

I have a career question for you guys. This is my first year working in IT, I've managed to get both my CCNA and MCSA, and I'm finishing up my Sec+ now. I started at my current company 5 months ago in their NOC as a technician, getting paid a fairly reasonable hourly rate. Two weeks ago I got moved to the security department, which has been really great, I got typical 9-5 hours, a cubicle, and the work is much more fulfilling. However, what I haven't gotten yet is a title change or a salary increase. My new job duties often require me to be on call or review stuff on the weekends, but I'm still hourly so I don't get paid for it.
My question is how long I should wait before I start seriously considering looking at jobs for a different company. I know I haven't been working there very long, and I don't have much experience, but this situation feels... weird. Should I just ride it out, and if so for how long?

Where do you live?

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Dick Trauma posted:

:boom:

Best thing I've heard all day

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Anyone in Louisville? My wife may be getting an offer there, how's the IT market for Cisco?

ManSauceGuzzlr
Jul 18, 2004

"That man...I'm...fascinated by him. That look...his whole look. It's hypnotic."

psydude posted:

Where do you live?

I'd rather not be specific but it's a pretty tech heavy area with plenty of IT jobs. I've had recruiters attempt to contact me my entire current employment.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ManSauceGuzzlr posted:

Did they mention anything when you got moved? Like "We will adjust your salary/title in x months due to budget reasons" ? If not, you should probably have a conversation with your manager along the lines of increased responsibilities should come with increased remuneration. And you might want to dip your toes in the job pool as well, see what is being offered out there. Puts you in a better spot if you ever need to negotiate at your current place as well.

ManSauceGuzzlr
Jul 18, 2004

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Did they mention anything when you got moved? Like "We will adjust your salary/title in x months due to budget reasons" ? If not, you should probably have a conversation with your manager along the lines of increased responsibilities should come with increased remuneration. And you might dip your toes in the job pool as well, see what is being offered out there. Puts you in a better spot if you ever need to negotiate at your current place as well.

The head of security mentioned that he would review my performance in 30-45 days, which was about a month ago now (I think). Other than that they haven't mentioned anything to me. I'd like to have that conversation but I'm not sure how to bring it up without seeming ungrateful.
By dip my toes, do you mean I should go out and try to get an actual offer? If so I'll probably wait until I get my Sec+ for that, should only take me a couple of weeks.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

ManSauceGuzzlr posted:

On-call is dicy, but the weekend reviews seem pretty cut and dry: hourly employees get paid hourly for hours they work. If you are not being paid for the hourly hours you are hourly working, your employer is breaking the law. Raise the issue with HR if there's a mismatch here.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 1, 2015

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

psydude posted:

Barring some very limited circumstances, permitting torrents on your network is a bad idea. Yeah yeah, linux distros and whatnot, but all of that poo poo is available via HTTP mirrors and FTP so gently caress off developer guy. Just make sure you're using an appliance that does layer 7 deep packet inspection to block it, because blocking standard BT ports is pointless these days since most trackers will support multiple random ports.

I just use Spiceworks or PDQ Inventory to find all the installed torrent programs, uninstall them, and tell the individuals that they're fired if they install them again :shrug:

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ManSauceGuzzlr posted:

The head of security mentioned that he would review my performance in 30-45 days, which was about a month ago now (I think). Other than that they haven't mentioned anything to me. I'd like to have that conversation but I'm not sure how to bring it up without seeming ungrateful.
By dip my toes, do you mean I should go out and try to get an actual offer? If so I'll probably wait until I get my Sec+ for that, should only take me a couple of weeks.

If someone says 30-45 days and forgets or is too busy you're not being ungrateful by reminding them. If you really intend to leave then by all means get offers in your pocket, otherwise you can always try to leverage them into a better offer at your current employer.

ManSauceGuzzlr
Jul 18, 2004

Vulture Culture posted:

On-call is dicy, but the weekend reviews seem pretty cut and dry: hourly employees get paid hourly for hours they work. If you are not being paid for the hourly hours you are hourly working, your employer is breaking the law. Raise the issue with HR if there's a mismatch here.

So this is where it gets tricky, there's a fingerprint scanner in the NOC that still keeps track of my hours, but I submit my hours through email. I really doubt my company wants to pay me overtime to sit at home and watch videos or review stuff, but it is related to my job and I have to do it in order to succeed. I should probably talk to my former (current?) NOC manager about getting overtime for this stuff, but it's just so nebulous man. Anyway here's my plan right now: wait a couple of weeks for the 45 days to pass, if I still haven't had my interview I'll shoot my boss an email and ask him about it, and that I have some concerns about my current job situation. I'll wait and see how that goes before I start diving into the job market.

Just a quick example, my boss (head of security) gave me a video about a product he'd like me to learn that's five hours long. There's no way way I can watch it during normal business hours so I'll watch it this weekend. The only person who can clear me for overtime is the NOC Manager, since even though he isn't technically my boss he is still in charge of the NOC and I am a NOC technician. Should I get them both involved??

ManSauceGuzzlr fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 1, 2015

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
I'm going to take the unpopular path here. I don't know your situation, so I'm guessing on a few things and generalizing some others, but here goes...

So many people come to me and ask how they can switch paths without any experience. My answer is almost always "Find a place where you can where multiple hats or where they promote from within to different depts." Or something like that. You've found that and you're lucky. A lot of people would get stuck doing that NOC work for years, and clearly you didn't want that.

So they have taken a chance on you. With your 30ish days of security experience, could you go out and land a full time security job? Has this company helped pay for those certs at all? Even if they haven't, they are investing in you and you are clearly delivering. My advice to you would be to be patient. You'd really have to get a full year of experience in this job to realistically start looking for another. I feel like if you left or really pushed hard for the raise at 30 days, then you'd be the ungrateful one. On the flip side, if 6 months or a year goes by and you're performing at a high level, then they are. So there will be a point when that pendulum really starts to shift and you'll probably know it.

I would find a way to hold them to that review, even if you need to give a polite reminder at 45 days. As someone pretty junior in IT, experience trumps pay right now. Get a few years under your belt, hopefully with a fair salary, and the jobs will start flowing. Don't let anyone take advantage of you, but definitely realize that right now you're investing in your career. It sounds like you have a solid employer with a solid opp for growth. Don't sour it!

vvv I say unpopular because it seems like a lot of people in this thread think the man is out to get them. Sure, a lot of times he is, but sometimes the man can be the man... vvv

Dark Helmut fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 1, 2015

ManSauceGuzzlr
Jul 18, 2004

Dark Helmut posted:

I'm going to take the unpopular path here. I don't know your situation, so I'm guessing on a few things and generalizing some others, but here goes...

So many people come to me and ask how they can switch paths without any experience. My answer is almost always "Find a place where you can where multiple hats or where they promote from within to different depts." Or something like that. You've found that and you're lucky. A lot of people would get stuck doing that NOC work for years, and clearly you didn't want that.

So they have taken a chance on you. With your 30ish days of security experience, could you go out and land a full time security job? Has this company helped pay for those certs at all? Even if they haven't, they are investing in you and you are clearly delivering. My advice to you would be to be patient. You'd really have to get a full year of experience in this job to realistically start looking for another. I feel like if you left or really pushed hard for the raise at 30 days, then you'd be the ungrateful one. On the flip side, if 6 months or a year goes by and you're performing at a high level, then they are. So there will be a point when that pendulum really starts to shift and you'll probably know it.

I would find a way to hold them to that review, even if you need to give a polite reminder at 45 days. As someone pretty junior in IT, experience trumps pay right now. Get a few years under your belt, hopefully with a fair salary, and the jobs will start flowing. Don't let anyone take advantage of you, but definitely realize that right now you're investing in your career. It sounds like you have a solid employer with a solid opp for growth. Don't sour it!

I don't see why that's an unpopular path at all, it seems very reasonable to me. When I try to reflect on my situation objectively, this is pretty much where I arrive. And yet, at the same time, it just doesn't feel right... it's really hard to explain.
To be completely honest it's way more about the title than the money. I'm making a livable sum, but the longer I go without a title in field I want to be in, the longer it's going to take for me to move up in that field.
And one last thing, while I am lucky, I also worked extremely hard to get here, giving up my social life to study, taking on extra projects, working any overtime I could get, you name it. Of course that's kind of hard to explain to another employer...

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

ManSauceGuzzlr posted:

I don't see why that's an unpopular path at all, it seems very reasonable to me. When I try to reflect on my situation objectively, this is pretty much where I arrive. And yet, at the same time, it just doesn't feel right... it's really hard to explain.
To be completely honest it's way more about the title than the money. I'm making a livable sum, but the longer I go without a title in field I want to be in, the longer it's going to take for me to move up in that field.
And one last thing, while I am lucky, I also worked extremely hard to get here, giving up my social life to study, taking on extra projects, working any overtime I could get, you name it. Of course that's kind of hard to explain to another employer...

Titles don't matter in IT. When you write up your resume give yourself whatever title you want as long as you have the experience to back it up. Nobody cares about titles, they care about what you've done.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

ManSauceGuzzlr posted:

Don't sweat the title. When you leave your position, you'll probably have a more appropriate title, and you can just list that as the title for the entire time you were at that employer. If you leave after 1 year at the current company, congrats! You have one year of security experience!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm here after hours to swap out the firewall. The Fortigate 90D was losing its mind and after a few weeks of working with Fortinet they said it was a bug in their firmware that was making the IPS engine max out the CPU and it wasn't going to be fixed any time soon. In the end they elected to give me a 92D. Already programmed it, just need to make the switch.

Only two people still here so I can turn my music up. :toot:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

I just use Spiceworks or PDQ Inventory to find all the installed torrent programs, uninstall them, and tell the individuals that they're fired if they install them again :shrug:

Unless you're doing this nonstop 24/7, this isn't a very reliable method of blocking torrent traffic from bad applications on your network. It's also not practical when your organization is over like 150 people.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

The cloud always ignores the "limited available WAN" scenario, which is far more pervasive than you think. Not every business can fund the pipe it takes to house all of their backend on the cloud, especially ones that have many segregated locations.

That's why Cisco UCS/ISR is taking off like wildfire and is (allegedly) a best seller; they're an on-prem unit that combines both the server and router into a single box.

Some stuff, like Fax, has no real excuse to exist physically at a location. Get that poo poo in the cloud ASAP. Other stuff is obviously going to be much more painful, especially for medium sized businesses that have to work with lovely vendors and support applications that don't work well outside of the local LAN. It sounds ridiculous, but that's still a problem in 2015. Especially in the financial sector.

What scenario are we looking at here where you've got that much data that has to come back On-Premises? You're able to get a VPN or even MLPS-Circut back On-Premise that isn't too expensive.

OTOH, Cisco UCS is excruciatingly innovative. I don't know if I've been living under a rock but it seems that Cisco came out nowhere with UCS and it's giving Dell/HP/Lenovo/IBM/ect a hell of a hard time.

NippleFloss posted:

You can't just pick an application up and move it to the cloud and expect it to work well. There's a lot of development work required to design and run applications that don't take the underlying stability of the infrastructure for granted. How many companies will want to rewrite their LOB apps to do that? What would the benefits be that would drive things in that direction given that running cloud applications is neither easy nor cheap?

Agreed, you're not going to right-click, copy, paste and run install.msi but at the same time the future is going to be applications built for the cloud.

evol262 posted:

This is great (in the end), but lots of apps (especially on IaaS v SaaS) end up needing/wanting some kind of federated auth anyway, so your users don't need 30 accounts to use everything. You can shunt it to a hosted service, but the requirements just move budget categories, and IT ends up doing the same stuff with different tools. Some changes, but it's more an evolution than a sea change

Yes, no one wants to use a different account for each SaaS applications and federation or IDaaS - Ex; Azure AD but you're still removing/automating large piece of typical IT Infrastructure.

evol262 posted:

Silicon valley is silicon valley. Developing/immature markets (Raleigh, Austin, Portland) whose infrastructure is also heavily based in startups are gonna suffer. Seattle, NYC, NoVA, and other areas have established scenes. Even the mecheng stuff in Austin has a lot of startup/vc stuff.

Ah hah. This makes much more sense.

evol262 posted:

More to the point, it doesn't work for a lot of industries. Apple products (and Google stuff, sometimes) is:

Which is "friendly" and "efficient" for people who aren't familiar with the app in question, or who have simple workflows (find X, etc). And there are definite improvements in some lob stuff, especially EMR. But things like banking are incredibly efficient. It seems dumb to you to have every F key mapped to something to swap through menus like it's WordPerfect. But it's like vi. Someone who knows all the hotkeys (which a lot of tellers do) is amazingly fast, and redesign costs thousands/millions in retraining, lost productivity, etc.

Seconding times a thousand and it's one of big reason why the AS/400 hasn't died. A TN5250 emulator does wonders even in TYOOL2015. It might not be pretty but it's just as functional as a webapp and a hell of lot faster especially once you've got a hang of the function keys.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

BaseballPCHiker posted:

People always say don't follow something for the money which I think is ridiculous. The only reason I work is for the money, if I had a ton of money and didn't have to work I wouldn't, not in IT at least.

Heh, I'm in the same boat and I've always found that train of thought weird?

I mean, I enjoy technology - installing servers, bash/powershell scripting interesting but at same time I ain't doing this for 40-hours a week and waking up at 3am when everything crashes to a halt for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Tab8715 posted:

Agreed, you're not going to right-click, copy, paste and run install.msi but at the same time the future is going to be applications built for the cloud.

Why do you think this? Why do you think that the cloud is a good fit for every application?

I work with a lot of customers in different verticals and movement towards hyperscalars is really sporadic in my experience. Some do test/dev there, or use it for backup/archive, but everyone is still buying hardware and staffing internally too. That goes for the multinational banks and the 50 person non-profits.