Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Smythe posted:

hmm thaTS interesting i co-live with a bondaged nigress ex-topless maid who ive chained to the radiator and ejaculate upon while she wails in agony as her bindings tear at her supple oily flesh.

ex-topless, so you put clothes on her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Smythe posted:

hmm thaTS interesting i co-live with a bondaged nigress ex-topless maid who ive chained to the radiator and ejaculate upon while she wails in agony as her bindings tear at her supple oily flesh.

lemao

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib

Smythe posted:

qfb

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

i like your av.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Smythe posted:

I thought you got permabanned zeitguest

Cyberbird
Jul 18, 2015

Mr Dog posted:

smythe's gimmick gettin a lil creepy

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
here i thought smythe was a sub

turns out he's a switch

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

ayn rand hand job posted:

I thought you got permabanned zeitguest

nice

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

So LinkedIn just moved to no-pto model.

Countdown to them reversing this decision begins.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

now they want to expand the targeted ads to TV.

quote:

Until recently, TV-audience information used by advertisers has come mainly from samples of viewers and surveys, conducted by Nielsen and other market-research companies. The monitoring made possible by digital technology can be far more detailed — down to the household level — not only covering what is being watched but, when combined with other data sources, also predicting behavior and buying habits.

“The Internet was an example of what can be done, but now it is going to TV as well,” said Shereta Williams, president of Videa, an advertising-technology startup owned by the Cox Media Group.

The technology for digital TV is still in its early stages. The TV industry wants to be able to target ads to households and individuals, as on the Web, but without losing control of its distribution network and business.

The set-top box has long been TV’s technical gateway, and that technology is receiving a digital upgrade to give set-top boxes Internet-style targeting capabilities. Today, including satellite TV and cable providers, nearly 40 million set-top boxes are “household addressable,” representing about a third of U.S. households.

For advertisers, this should mean more productive ads and the ability to scientifically test their effectiveness.

Last year, Starcom MediaVest did an addressable TV ad campaign for Honda’s Acura TLX luxury sedan. The firm combined anonymized sales data and other data to choose 1.7 million households to show Acura ads. Those households’ rate of buying the cars was more than 60 percent higher than that of a demographically similar control group not shown the ads.

With advanced software and data-mining technology, the potential for tailoring ads can be quite refined. So, for example, two households in New York, living in next-door apartments, could watch, say, “The Good Wife,” and see different ads. In one apartment, a couple who contribute to environmental causes and have no children could be shown an ad for a compact car. In the other apartment, a couple with two children and a weekend home might be shown an ad for an SUV.

For finely tailored ads, data is crucial. So data brokers and data-analysis companies, including Acxiom, Experian and Dunnhumby, are also suppliers to the emerging industry of digital TV.

Acxiom, for example, has demographic, shopping and lifestyle information on every U.S. household. Rick Erwin, its general manager of audience solutions, views digital TV as another market for its targeting services, which are used in direct mail, telemarketing, email and online ads.

“Whenever a medium becomes addressable at the household level, we’re the data fuel,” he said.

of course the example is car ads but can you imagine how horrific this will be once political groups get their hands on it?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shifty Pony posted:

of course the example is car ads but can you imagine how horrific this will be once political groups get their hands on it?

I don't understand why the concept of "commercial breaks" hasn't died completely. The only poo poo I watch live is sports. Everything else is DVR. The only ads I see are the ones that the TV channel shamelessly places for their own shows over the top of the screen.

Given we're working with a 16:9 screen these days, I'd honestly rather see shows go back to filling their whole timeslot and just having ads come in and out on one edge with a "click OK for more information" prompt (I have uverse, which already has that tech available for regular commercials). I get more TV, the advertisers are assured that I actually saw their ad and didn't fast forward through it, the screen real-estate is enough that it's not that obtrusive. The TV channels are already popping up ads for their own content over the screen anyway.

TV as it exists now just isn't sustainable because nobody is watching commercials anymore.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ah great so it'll be like online ads and each commercial break will be one ad repeated over and over again?

*nationwide jingle* peyton manning every ad

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

welcome to what everyone has been saying for the last 10 years.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I cant wait to see them inject ads on top of existing broadcasts like they do w/ local ads.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
do they still do those annoying during-show ads in the corner that expands to take the entire lower part of the screen? imagine it squishing the entire program into the top third of the screen so the syndicate company can get some ads in and then it gets squished sideways to show another ad at the local level

lol at anyone who pays for tv in any way

even sports are 90% ads, ads everywhere

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Microsoft 10 years ago: hey heres a content distribution platform where people can watch what they want and you can inject targeted ads so no matter what or when they watch you get maximum ad impact.
Content owners: no thanks broadcast ads work fine and cable revenue can only go up!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I don't understand why the concept of "commercial breaks" hasn't died completely. The only poo poo I watch live is sports. Everything else is DVR. The only ads I see are the ones that the TV channel shamelessly places for their own shows over the top of the screen.

Given we're working with a 16:9 screen these days, I'd honestly rather see shows go back to filling their whole timeslot and just having ads come in and out on one edge with a "click OK for more information" prompt (I have uverse, which already has that tech available for regular commercials). I get more TV, the advertisers are assured that I actually saw their ad and didn't fast forward through it, the screen real-estate is enough that it's not that obtrusive. The TV channels are already popping up ads for their own content over the screen anyway.

TV as it exists now just isn't sustainable because nobody is watching commercials anymore.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
lots of people still watch commercials, it's just they are all over 50. my parents refuse to get a dvr "it's too complicated, i'd never watch the recorded shows anyway". i got them a netflix sub one year and they used it twice

you don't think all those hilariously offensive lexus commercials are targeted towards us, do you?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

how long before they slip a motion sensor or camera into the front of a STB "for power saving" then use it to determine how many people are in the room and charge advertisers more for more impressions?

also there's no way this won't lead to more ISPs copying AT&T's deep packet inspection so they can make the internet ads follow you to the tv. i can only imagine how awful your ads would become if they see traffic going to clash of clans or candy crush servers.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bhodi posted:

do they still do those annoying during-show ads in the corner that expands to take the entire lower part of the screen? imagine it squishing the entire program into the top third of the screen so the syndicate company can get some ads in and then it gets squished sideways to show another ad at the local level

lol at anyone who pays for tv in any way

even sports are 90% ads, ads everywhere

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

how long before they slip a motion sensor or camera into the front of a STB "for power saving" then use it to determine how many people are in the room and charge advertisers more for more impressions?

also there's no way this won't lead to more ISPs copying AT&T's deep packet inspection so they can make the internet ads follow you to the tv. i can only imagine how awful your ads would become if they see traffic going to clash of clans or candy crush servers.

content owners are too loving stupid to realize what they're missing and that's the only thing preventing it from happening.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Bhodi posted:

my parents refuse to get a dvr "it's too complicated, i'd never watch the recorded shows anyway".

Many of these same people connected and programmed VCRs. Familiarity really is king...

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Didn't you have ads in the 21st century?

Well sure, but not in our dreams. Only on TV and radio, and in magazines, and movies, and at ball games... and on buses and milk cartons and t-shirts, and bananas and written on the sky. But not in dreams, no siree.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
You're watching tv and playing a game on your tablet but the tablet is listening to whats going on around it and can tell what you're watching on tv and tells the ad server what you're currently doing. the ad server then generates and ad on your tv that gives you free IAP if you watch it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
four separate ads on the screen at the same time

new challenge, find the most (readable) ads on the screen at a sports event at one time

maybe hockey or soccer, since the fields are literally lined with them

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bhodi posted:

four separate ads on the screen at the same time

new challenge, find the most (readable) ads on the screen at a sports event at one time

maybe hockey or soccer, since the fields are literally lined with them

depending on your definition of sport, nascar or ufc should win this easily

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

qntm posted:

Didn't you have ads in the 21st century?

Well sure, but not in our dreams. Only on TV and radio, and in magazines, and movies, and at ball games... and on buses and milk cartons and t-shirts, and bananas and written on the sky. But not in dreams, no siree.

the lightspeed briefs were modeled on laika's weird space pants

not even kidding

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Condiv posted:

After they moved to San Francisco with their two children in 2013, Poetzscher asked Yang to “massage his legs using a rolling pin,” according to the suit.

The nanny complied, and her boss soon “apologized noting that he was not supposed to act in such a way in the United States,” according to the suit.

:allears: well someone is going to have the accounting department scrutinizing their international travel a little more closely from now on

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I thought I'd post in the grey threads but lol all they wanna do is argue about self driving cars. Like, they are super serious about it.

check out the surveillance thread, they now constantly accuse fishmech of being a :nsa: agent

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

on the one hand this sounds loving awful, on the other hand WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

okay if more ads flew out of people's asses I might pay attention to them

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Shifty Pony posted:

How is AT&T's DPI thing supposed to even work when everything is stampeding towards all HTTPS all the time as fast as possible? Or I mean the Verizon injected cookie thing, same deal (I'm guessing they're going to start injecting MitM SSL certs into their phones soon if they aren't already rofl ... but then Google, Apple, and Facebook will all go completely apeshit on them)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Shaggar posted:

content owners are too loving stupid to realize what they're missing and that's the only thing preventing it from happening.

are they really leaving a ton of money on the table? it seems like what would actually happen is that total ad spending wouldn't go up significantly but that the cost to target prime sucker demographics would skyrocket while prices would crater for everyone else.

candy crush player gets solid f2p game ads, old dude gets goldline and testosterone ads in every show, and everyone else gets the same "earn $$$$ from home!" ad repeated ten times each commercial break.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 12, 2015

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

How is AT&T's DPI thing supposed to even work when everything is stampeding towards all HTTPS all the time as fast as possible? Or I mean the Verizon injected cookie thing, same deal (I'm guessing they're going to start injecting MitM SSL certs into their phones soon if they aren't already rofl ... but then Google, Apple, and Facebook will all go completely apeshit on them)

i wonder if AT&T might start some kind of ~business partnership~ with SSL cert cartels where they get the keys to spoof websites with and in exchange the cert cartels get a cut of the dank-rear end marketing green

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i mean then they can charge extra for a "certified advertiser-free cert" too, seems like they'd love this

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

okay if more ads flew out of people's asses I might pay attention to them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fzcwz3QOHHg

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I like the zoetrope ads in subway tunnels, those are about the only ads that don't bug me

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

are they really leaving a ton of money on the table? it seems like what would actually happen is that total ad spending wouldn't go up significantly but that the cost to target prime sucker demographics would skyrocket while prices would crater for everyone else.

candy crush player gets solid f2p game ads, old dude gets goldline and testosterone ads in every show, and everyone else gets the same "earn $$$$ from home!" ad repeated ten times each commercial break.

right now they pay loads of money for lovely ads that they send out to everyone to hit the 5% market for the ad. w/ targeted ads you reduce your spend to that 5% and maybe even focus more on them in the actual ad. you would also limit repeats so they maybe only happen multiple times per show instead of per ad break. This may result in fewer ads seen by an individual consumer, but the ads they're seeing would be the ones targeted to them.

also you could get to the point where the consumer is programmed into the ad ex: "hey <CONSUMER NAME>! That <MAKE> <MODEL> vehicle you were checking out online is a great buy! if you come in to <LOCAL DEALERSHIP> now here are some offers exclusively for you!!" and if the person actually goes into a dealership you can close the loop on the transaction by associating their visit to the ad and its offers.

imagine a world where you get coupons from TV ads delivered to your phone via facebook/twitter/w/e you're on in a way that is tied to you for maximum tracking. Even if you didn't pay attention to the commercial, heres the coupon for a product that was targeted at you and if you use it or not they get good data on you and what to target at you in the future.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
an ad that is interactive with your tablet so that when you see it on the tv, you click the banner at the bottom of your current app and can control some part of the ad. This interaction may reward the consumer in a number of ways including free iap, coupons, or shortening the advertisement.

combine this with the IP of the content the consumer is watch for maximum impact and integration. Imagine a child watching a Disney show getting ads for Disney products while playing their Disney game in a way that reinforces all the product offerings and ways for the child to get their parent engaged with the brand.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the child plans their Disney vacation with the help of the advertisement and shows it to their parent who can then see pricing for the customized vacation. Its all inclusive and its reasonable. who can say no to this child???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Shaggar posted:

right now they pay loads of money for lovely ads that they send out to everyone to hit the 5% market for the ad. w/ targeted ads you reduce your spend to that 5% and maybe even focus more on them in the actual ad. you would also limit repeats so they maybe only happen multiple times per show instead of per ad break. This may result in fewer ads seen by an individual consumer, but the ads they're seeing would be the ones targeted to them.

also you could get to the point where the consumer is programmed into the ad ex: "hey <CONSUMER NAME>! That <MAKE> <MODEL> vehicle you were checking out online is a great buy! if you come in to <LOCAL DEALERSHIP> now here are some offers exclusively for you!!" and if the person actually goes into a dealership you can close the loop on the transaction by associating their visit to the ad and its offers.

imagine a world where you get coupons from TV ads delivered to your phone via facebook/twitter/w/e you're on in a way that is tied to you for maximum tracking. Even if you didn't pay attention to the commercial, heres the coupon for a product that was targeted at you and if you use it or not they get good data on you and what to target at you in the future.

the problem with targeted advertising is it reduces the amount of information that ad provides in terms of the company's confidence in their product.

targeted advertising always carries with it the implicit worry that the product is actually poo poo, and that the targeting algorithm determined you in paticular to be the sucker

• Locked thread