Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Cyril Sneer posted:

Found this local kickstart that is just completely :wtf:

UFO MUG https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/icreatemyidea/ufo-mug

The entire description is just one single, giant, image.

This is killing me it's so good.

quote:

How can I order the UFO Mug after the campaign finished and sold out? 
Send a mail, written in English, to hotmail.
Make the title for "Order Nuts Popper"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I am going to back this demented UFO man but I don''t want to risk drinking out of his UFO mug

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Young Freud posted:

I've seen this demonstrated when it was some Russian hacker building the thing (and it's likely the same guy trying to monetize his creation) and releasing the plans on the internet and the common conclusion was that this isn't really for doing a data wipe, but vandalizing computers.

The original video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TidRpVWXBE

Motherboard at Vice discusses with a bunch of computer engineers on it's capacities. It will likely destroy the "southbridge" chipset but there's a "remote possibility" it could damage the CPU and hard drive. But, yeah, replacing the entire motherboard along with the CPU is likely what'll happen. But then, since it likely won't wipe the HDD, then it's useless as a data protection measure when the data thieves can just yank the working HDD and plug it into another computer.

This thing is hilarious. Why not just disable the ports if you're so paranoid?

Although on the upside, it did remind me of this classic:

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

:gonk:

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

mobby_6kl posted:

Although on the upside, it did remind me of this classic:

Was this the SEGA-Killer guy?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

No, etherkiller is as old as the Internet.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ibreathe-fresh-air-anytime-anywhere--3#/

Fresh air any time, anywhere... which is just going to diffuse back into the surrounding atmosphere, thus having no real effect on the quality of air you actually breathe.

Remember that Bluetooth-enabled water bottle? How's this for something that probably doesn't need to connect to a smart phone?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/700989404/looncup-the-worlds-first-smart-menstrual-cup/description

Crust First posted:

Some kind of... magic usb drive.

Pretty good deal for a $10k goal!

I wonder how Kickstarter's "working prototype rule would affect them. At least the laser razor thing showed a laser cutting hair (just way too slowly to be practical).

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Cockmaster posted:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ibreathe-fresh-air-anytime-anywhere--3#/

Fresh air any time, anywhere... which is just going to diffuse back into the surrounding atmosphere, thus having no real effect on the quality of air you actually breathe.
Guaranteed none of those idiots actually live somewhere that suffers heavy air pollution, because it'd take way more than that little stick to do poo poo about that.

Also lol @ it "destroying allergens". You know, allergens, like pollen, cats, mold, and cum. It's going to destroy them.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Cockmaster posted:

Remember that Bluetooth-enabled water bottle? How's this for something that probably doesn't need to connect to a smart phone?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/700989404/looncup-the-worlds-first-smart-menstrual-cup/description

Nah, this is lousy in different ways-- like the fact that it has a non-rechargeable non-replaceable battery life of six months. Menstrual cups last at least six years.

At thirty bucks it's actually cheap for a cup so it's not a completely worthless project but the battery thing, geez.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

neongrey posted:

Nah, this is lousy in different ways-- like the fact that it has a non-rechargeable non-replaceable battery life of six months. Menstrual cups last at least six years.

At thirty bucks it's actually cheap for a cup so it's not a completely worthless project but the battery thing, geez.

Only one size (for light or normal flow) because they didn't meet their "Stench Goal" (:laugh:) so that's a whole bunch of period-havers who are going to be disappointed.

But yeah seriously, it only lasts six months? That's bullshit. For $40 you'd want it to last a lot longer than six months. At that rate why not just buy pads and tampons? e: or a regular loving menstrual cup without super special colour-analysing software

e: also """Loon Cup""" huh

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fractalgears/fractal-gears-a-revolutionary-idea

schizophrenic man pitches his cactus-inspired math theory/mechanical design.

quote:

Obviously our ancestors had access to very advanced technology that became lost in the immediate milleniums afterwards, a technology and means modern science still cannot explain until now. This invention shows how to make advanced gears , wheels , and drills from the cactus forms readily available in the desert climates where most megalithic structures are found. Any manufacturing engineer who looks at the cactuses in the video above should be able to see how a drill can be made from the natural forms by using a casting mold.

Further research led me to realize a surprising phenomenon of a Fractal Wheel system - It can alter the magnetic field by virtue of its geometry alone<...>

Watching the pitch video is strongly encouraged

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

e: also """Loon Cup""" huh

Completely original name. Do not steal.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I think all menstrual cups need some sort of circuitous (or not) reference to the moon in them. Thanks, 1970s feminism!

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

goatse.cx posted:

Holy cow. There's a guy like this who comes into my work sometimes and runs his powerpoint presentations by me. The last one was called 'AN EMERGING COSMOLOGY'.

quote:

I didn't want to look at any of the theories. I wanted to make a theory 'blind'

edit: getting in a conversation with someone like this makes me want to smash my head through a wall.

Nice Guy Patron has a new favorite as of 19:46 on Nov 8, 2015

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Or just fill the port with hot glue.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Collateral Damage posted:

Or just fill the port with hot glue.

Better protection would be to fill the keyboard with goop. :v:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

goatse.cx posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fractalgears/fractal-gears-a-revolutionary-idea

schizophrenic man pitches his cactus-inspired math theory/mechanical design.

Holy poo poo this is great. It starts out a bit weird, but just gets progressively crazier and crazier as it goes on.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

neongrey posted:

How feasible would it be to build a reliable watertight battery compartment into such a small space? Though I suppose there's also wireless charging.

And speaking of batteries, both Kickstarter and Indiegogo regularly have people trying to get into the electric bike industry. This generally involves some attempt at innovation which, when you think about it, would offer little to no real-world improvement over the many e-bikes readily available today. Such as this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/reveloflex/flex-smartest-folding-electric-bike-that-fits-you?ref=nav_search

They brag about their "pedal assist" feature, which consists of pedals mounted directly to the front wheel like a child's tricycle. If you've ever so much as looked at someone riding a bike, you'll know that there's no way you can get any real torque in like that.

Or this "solar powered" bike where the solar power comes from some little carport-like thing (if you commute via bike, there's a good chance you live somewhere where you wouldn't have the outdoor space for it):

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/xkuty-one-the-ibike-made-for-iphone#/

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cockmaster posted:

How feasible would it be to build a reliable watertight battery compartment into such a small space? Though I suppose there's also wireless charging.

And speaking of batteries, both Kickstarter and Indiegogo regularly have people trying to get into the electric bike industry. This generally involves some attempt at innovation which, when you think about it, would offer little to no real-world improvement over the many e-bikes readily available today. Such as this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/reveloflex/flex-smartest-folding-electric-bike-that-fits-you?ref=nav_search

They brag about their "pedal assist" feature, which consists of pedals mounted directly to the front wheel like a child's tricycle. If you've ever so much as looked at someone riding a bike, you'll know that there's no way you can get any real torque in like that.

Or this "solar powered" bike where the solar power comes from some little carport-like thing (if you commute via bike, there's a good chance you live somewhere where you wouldn't have the outdoor space for it):

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/xkuty-one-the-ibike-made-for-iphone#/
They can put a works to 30 meters of water seal on the battery compartment of $8 tiny Casio watches, they could surely do one on that thing.
And if someone's got more than that pressure down there, they need to see a doctor.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Nintendo Kid posted:

They can put a works to 30 meters of water seal on the battery compartment of $8 tiny Casio watches, they could surely do one on that thing.
And if someone's got more than that pressure down there, they need to see a doctor.

Kegels, man. Kegels.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Cockmaster posted:

It's definitely not trivially addressed with the materials available to be used (everything's gotta be body-safe, for one, and actually still able to fit comfortably, for another), that's for sure. But I don't really think the answer to the problem is to cut your losses, say 'eh, gently caress it, you get six months', and leave it at that.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If they managed to seal this battery in, they could also make it wirelessly recharging.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
A Kickstarter has been started to take something up to eleven. Depending on the stretch goal hit, it could be Experiment 1103, 1106, 1109 or 1112.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

BiggerJ posted:

A Kickstarter has been started to take something up to eleven. Depending on the stretch goal hit, it could be Experiment 1103, 1106, 1109 or 1112.

I scrolled down to read all the tiers and, after the "own a Crow" and "own a Servo" I am frankly disappointed there's no "own a Joel". I WOULD have been willing to put up the money, but alas.

edit: Also, someone has already pledged the lone spot in the top (10,000 buckaroos) tier. That person must really fuckin love MST3K.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Especially as the fine print mentions that actually that tier is 15k, Kickstarter tops out at 10, they expect the person to pay an additional 5,000 after.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BiggerJ posted:

I really like MST3k, but please god no....

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mike isn't involved, and neither are Kevin and Bill, judging from the bot voices in the video.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it will feature new mads, a new host, and new voices for the bots.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

this pastiche of a once cool thing is now even sadder.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

Yeah, it will feature new mads, a new host, and new voices for the bots.

HEY GUYS HELP US RESURRECT THIS THING YOU LOVED*

* may actually be entirely different from the thing you loved

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I'd back it if they just made new robots. New everything else, why not new robots?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

Especially as the fine print mentions that actually that tier is 15k, Kickstarter tops out at 10, they expect the person to pay an additional 5,000 after.
Plus shipping.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'm not that attached to characters from MST3K, so I'm completely fine with RiffTrax. I understand Joel wants to get back on TV, but I don't think it's such a good idea.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Some things are best left observed through the rose colored glasses of nostalgia.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I don't follow MST3k really but is there some sort of bad blood between Joel and the other cast members? It seems like all of the important cast is either involved with Rifftrax or Cinematic Titanic, so how do you try to bring back the show without involving any of them?

It wouldn't be impossible to bring back MST3K and do it right. If you had the old cast members and wrote it well, it would be like picking up right where they left off. This seems like a half-baked idea.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hell you could use a new cast, just do different robots or whatever and actually change the show up. Don't just re-use the old stuff and pretend that the voices aren't different or whatever.

As for bad blood between Joel & the other guys, according to Wikipedia

quote:

In contemporary interviews, Hodgson stated he was uncomfortable with acting and being in front of the camera, citing that as the reason he quit the show. During a 1999 interview with The Onion A.V. Club, Hodgson added that he and producer Jim Mallon had been fighting over creative control of MST3K. His departure allowed the show to continue and gave him the opportunity to focus more on his preferred creation and production work than on performing, which he did only reluctantly.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

wa27 posted:

I don't follow MST3k really but is there some sort of bad blood between Joel and the other cast members? It seems like all of the important cast is either involved with Rifftrax or Cinematic Titanic, so how do you try to bring back the show without involving any of them?

It wouldn't be impossible to bring back MST3K and do it right. If you had the old cast members and wrote it well, it would be like picking up right where they left off. This seems like a half-baked idea.

I think a lot of them don't want to pledge in to this unless it starts really getting in the cash.

Separately, I mean, there were 5 and a half seasons of the show done without joel at all (outside of cameos). Absolutely nobody who was there when the show first started, or even when it was first on cable, was still there by the end, save Jim Mallon who was the pretty much never on screen producer guy and like maybe one other behind the scenes dude. So even just in the context of the original show, there's been several major changeups in staffing, as people went off to do other things, had their own careers.

So it's not really a surprise that you don't have any given episode's full cast ready to go with Joel's project right now.

Unfunny Poster posted:

Don't just re-use the old stuff and pretend that the voices aren't different or whatever.

Crow had two different actors, Servo had two actors with one of them changing the voice while he did it, Gypsy has been done by like 4 or 5 different people. It's hardly unheard of in MST3K!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mike Nelson put out a post saying that he isn't interested because he's spent the last nine years putting Rifftrax together and that takes up all his time. CT ended a while back and it sounded like the whole thing just completely fell apart because AFAIK you can't buy their back episodes anymore.

Joel actually put out a statement about the whole new cast and the reason why he's doing it that way. Basically he wants to establish this as a new chapter for MST3K.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

wa27 posted:

Cinematic Titanic was Joel's project.
If I remember correctly Rifftrax and Cinematic Titanic had some live shows together, so I don't think there's any bad blood between them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nintendo Kid posted:

Crow had two different actors, Servo had two actors with one of them changing the voice while he did it, Gypsy has been done by like 4 or 5 different people. It's hardly unheard of in MST3K!

That I did not know, but I'm also trying to remember watching the show from when I was a kid so there's that too. Thanks for the clarification.