Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Elderbean posted:

Any special recommendations for a cowboy/gunslinger?

Decide how much you like to use VATS. If you're all about it, go heavy on Luck. If you don't want to use it at all, take Luck to 3 at the highest (Bloody Mess gives a flat damage bonus now).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Speedball posted:

It's still PRETTY rare. I've been wandering around and have still only ever found my original suit.

I found another suit that was even more broken than the first one. It kind of makes sense if you pay attention during the intro there's quite a few military guys around with power armor on so they must have had a heavy presence in the area.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

Any must have perks to get*

Science! (If you want to use lasers or power armor) and Gun Smith. Customizing your weapons is going to be critical once you start hitting the higher levels unless you get real lucky with weapon drops. Maybe you'll find a good one, but it will have a scope you hate or maybe you'll pick up a legendary laser weapon but it's got a splitter rather than a focus.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Elderbean posted:

Any special recommendations for a cowboy/gunslinger?

I'm going with this when I reroll tonight:

http://www.nukahub.com/tools/special?build=7f.2.3.2.5.5.6.5

It relies on finding all of the SPECIAL bobble heads, using the "You're SPECIAL!" book towards AGI, placing one level-up point into AGI, and one more into LUCK for an ending result of:

S3 P4 E3 C6 I6 A10 L7

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

Scripted deathclaw fell back into the hole he jumped out of and disappeared forever.

GOTY.

He popped out, ran down the street, fell over dead while rubberbanding back to the hole for me. I was still on the roof and I guess the pathing issue from that was more than he could bare.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
The radio DJ sounds like Michael Cera.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

very hard maximizes the chance for legendary enemies while not making them quite as bad bullet sponges as survival

yes that is the only difference between very hard and survival, three times the amount of health for enemies, A+

Wait, really? Three times the health?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How good are the Toughness and Refractor perks? It seems like having a passive 50 damage and energy resistance would be incredible, at least going by early-game armor damage resistance numbers.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

SectumSempra posted:

I tend not to bitch about console releases but I'd love to hear some feedback on ps4 version here.

Been playing all morning. I've been loving it so far. The game looks great to me. I had one crash. But it was ok cause I had QS. I love that quicksave feature! I never seen that on a console before but it's the tits.

Overall the game is great. I've found combat super satisfying. The world is interesting and isn't just brown, grey or green.
My one minor complaint is The PC being voiced. It just doesn't fit what I envisioned for him. I'd rather have no voice or at least more then one option.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Sorry if this has been mentioned, but how the hell do I throw grenades in VATs? I'm on PS4 because my PC copy won't run.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Since Fallout 3 the only Fallout game with not a horrible story is New Vegas, and that story is largely "choose which rear end in a top hat NPC runs Vegas" (which can be you).

Having a guy dressed up like a cross between a Star Wars bounty hunter and a Mad Max baddie but being deeply concerned by every other character's feelings is pretty bad. But I think most realistic people went into this game expecting to ignore the storyline as much as possible anyway, because it has never been the strength or draw of these games.

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015
Finally fought some legendary ghouls/humans, right when they're about to die they mutate and get all their health back and sometimes additional powers?

Idk my auto shotgun had more bullets than the legend had additional lives :hellyeah:

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Holy loving Christ, whose idea was it to have the grenade throw and melee power attack bind to the same key?

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Predictably, the first patch made things worse. I was crashing every couple of hours, now I'm crashing every few minutes. Well done Bethesda.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Do any of the "junk" items have uses beyond scrapping for their constituent resources? Like I shouldn't break down all of my desk fans because I'll need an intact one to complete a quest / craft a doohicky?

Also, there's already a rudimentary archive extractor on the nexus, and someone has figured out the UI is just swf files again, so hopefully we'll have the first PlyUI and booby mods within a couple days.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
So it seems like legendarys (ies? how the hell do you pluralize that) are 100% randomly generated. I quick saved, ran in to a group of raiders with 2 legendarys, died, came back and it was a group of normies.

edit: tldr I'm sad I missed two legendary items.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
so how does this run on playstation 4? i have idiot friends telling me it literally drops to '0 fps' on the xbone. no way that's true but I am one of those people who got NV on ps3 so I won't go in blind again.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Apparition posted:

So it seems like legendarys (ies? how the hell do you pluralize that) are 100% randomly generated. I quick saved, ran in to a group of raiders with 2 legendarys, died, came back and it was a group of normies.

edit: tldr I'm sad I missed two legendary items.

Yes it rolls randomly when you trip off the trigger.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Nevets posted:

Do any of the "junk" items have uses beyond scrapping for their constituent resources? Like I shouldn't break down all of my desk fans because I'll need an intact one to complete a quest / craft a doohicky?

Also, there's already a rudimentary archive extractor on the nexus, and someone has figured out the UI is just swf files again, so hopefully we'll have the first PlyUI and booby mods within a couple days.

I heard somewhere that pre-war money sells for a lot so it might be worth hanging onto.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Sharzak posted:

so how does this run on playstation 4? i have idiot friends telling me it literally drops to '0 fps' on the xbone. no way that's true but I am one of those people who got NV on ps3 so I won't go in blind again.

https://youtu.be/OPZXkdD1RwQ?t=125

Your friend actually used 'literally' correctly and not in some kind of internet hyperbole way.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Since Fallout 3 the only Fallout game with not a horrible story is New Vegas, and that story is largely "choose which rear end in a top hat NPC runs Vegas" (which can be you).

Having a guy dressed up like a cross between a Star Wars bounty hunter and a Mad Max baddie but being deeply concerned by every other character's feelings is pretty bad. But I think most realistic people went into this game expecting to ignore the storyline as much as possible anyway, because it has never been the strength or draw of these games.

type better

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Sharzak posted:

I have around an hour and a half played and it's been fine. Little slowdown when things get all particle-effect-heavy but no freezes or crashes or falling through the floor.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Is there currently any ini/settings witchcraft to fix interiors being more jittery than wandering around outisde?

This is the exact opposite issue I had with Skyrim.

KimotaBoom
Feb 8, 2008
Duck and cover. That's the first thing to do. Duck and cover.
Is there any way to get rid of or modify the old houses that aren't completely ruined in settlement building?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Something I notice, at times it looks like your gun vanishes and you can't see your pipboy when you hit tab. Tap V to go into third person then again to return, it'll come back

Also codsworth is still my best friend.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

Deakul posted:

Also, it's legitimately retarded that power armor is just lying around and you get it during the very first mission.

Power armor is meant to be incredibly rare and valuable. :doh:

Don't worry, when your first suit breaks there is a SECOND T-45 suit at a crashed vertibird about 40 seconds walk away from Sanctuary.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
This helped:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...3A+Steam+RSS%29

FOV of 95 looks pretty good. I tried 100 but it looked wierd. Disabling the horrid mouse acceleration makes aiming much smoother. Probably obvious to anyone used to messing around with the ini files for Bethesda games. There really needs to be an FOV slider and an option to disable mouse acceleration in the settings. Pretty much all PC people love high FOV and hate mouse acceleration.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 10, 2015

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Harrow posted:

How good are the Toughness and Refractor perks? It seems like having a passive 50 damage and energy resistance would be incredible, at least going by early-game armor damage resistance numbers.

Normally that would be good but Fallout 4 maxes out at 1000 damage reduction instead of 100 or so (whatever it was in the older games).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So I'm working on a Smart Man Who Likes Lasers build and here's what I got so far:

http://www.nukahub.com/tools/special?build=77.2!1d4514!!d333!7f6124424!23552!!933

I have a few SPECIAL points and more perk points left to spend and I have no idea where they'd be most useful. I haven't really decided how much I'm liking VATS this time around, so I don't know if I want to go all-in on Luck to get Grim Reaper's Sprint, Better Criticals, Critical Banker, and/or Four-Leaf Clover, or if I should just level up Commando (assuming there are automatic laser weapons) or maybe Endurance some more for something?

I plan to at least try to play on Hard, if it matters.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I need to try out VANS. It might be more useful than I thought, 'cause I am legit getting lost in some of these dungeons.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Stanley Pain posted:

Game is just barely Meh. Played for just shy of 2 hours and there wasn't anything that really stood out, or sucked me into the game.

It's definitely a Bethesda game. I've enjoyed pretty much everything by them up to and including FO3, never got that into New Vegas because I've been kind bored of this format. Same goes for Witcher 3, I got about 2-3 hours into the game and it just felt like the plethora of MMOs I've been playing for the past decade +.

Gameplay mechanics are decent, the shootiness definitely feels a lot tighter than FO3, not sure if I'm a fan of no skills though. It was one of those systems that was fun to game in previous Bethesda titles.

Graphics can be great at times, and really lovely at others. Probably a combination lovely rear end engine, lovely rear end Bethesda animation team, and great set pieces/level design.

The companion AI is brain dead shite. Even worse than Vermintide's AI bots. Solo runs are probably the only way to go until some modder makes a better AI and adds large tits to your companions in one go.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the Steam refund policy. At $70 there wasn't enough fun/enjoyment at that premium price.

Agreed with just about everything, easy refund.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Does Survival get any less bullet spongey? I don't know why I expected anything less

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
ugh man there are timed quests in this, without any indication that they'll fail if you take too long to start them. great.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Sharzak posted:

both of my buddies have the game and posted vids, have said it runs absolutely fine and it looks normal from what I've seen

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

botany posted:

ugh man there are timed quests in this, without any indication that they'll fail if you take too long to start them. great.

Such as?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I'm laughing at everyone bitching about character motivation. I thought the agreed upon method for playing bethesda games is when some story npc is like "Follow me!" the first thing you do is jump over the first bush you see and hare off into the wilderness, only going back to see him when you've run out of other poo poo to do.

seventimessix
Jul 18, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

https://youtu.be/OPZXkdD1RwQ?t=125

Your friend actually used 'literally' correctly and not in some kind of internet hyperbole way.

I've played about 4 hours on Xbox and have yet to see that hard stuttering, but I'm playing the digital version off an external hard drive. If you watch the Giant Bomb quick look you can see some of it in the video and they're playing on PS4, so I wonder if it's an issue with playing with a disk copy or something.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Deviant posted:

Such as?

the quest i just failed by not doing anything about it is kidnapping at abernathy farms.

edit: it's really annoying too because the location was a good bit into the map where i hadn't been before, and on my way to do quests in the vincinity i ran into another quest, did that, came back to base to store my poo poo, and got the "you failed the quest" message.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Deakul posted:

Also, it's legitimately retarded that power armor is just lying around and you get it during the very first mission.

Power armor is meant to be incredibly rare and valuable. :doh:

It's not really "just lying around" it's located by a crashed Vertibird that you just happen to run into early on and I'm not sure how getting one suit early makes it less rare or valuable. If it's ruining your immersion so hard you can just not use it until you're 20 hours in or whatever. You have the power.

botany posted:

More info?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Deviant posted:

Such as?

Sometimes raiders attack your villages. You have to respond before too long or the mission is failed.

• Locked thread