Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

That guide is hilariously bad. It puts Hanabi, Munchkin, Bang, A Game of Thrones, and Netrunner under the same category of "complex card games".

Where is this guide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Nique posted:

Looking for a cheap, light but replayable game for up to 5 to take home to my family at Christmas. They have played coup before but i'd like something non bluffing based.

First few things that came to mind are No thanks, For Sale, and Sushi Go. Of those i've only played No thanks, and it was just the once, so not too sure which to go for (or some other option i've overlooked)

Codenames. It's what I plan on taking home for Christmas, and it's awesome (especially whilst drinking). I took a copy on holiday with a few friends, and we ended up playing for two-three hours each night for a week (and those same people keep asking me to bring it to their house pretty much every weekend).

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jedit posted:

Where is this guide?

http://www.snakesandlattes.com/uploads/Holiday2015BoardGameBuyingGuide.pdf

It's loving awful. Try to find where Codenames is, I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

quote:

There is a broad range of games in both the Card Games (simple) and Card Games (complex) categories. Hanabi may seem like Cockroach Poker when compared to Netrunner, but when stacked up against Exploding Kittens, Hanabi is practically rocket surgery. It had to go somewhere, and I stand by my choice.

:lol: this guy

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

That chart is missing so much.

Serious and Competitive? Codenames
Social Butterfly? Codenames
Loves to Laugh? Codenames
Risk Taker? Codenames
On the Go? Codenames
Party Games: Codenames
Trivia: Codenames

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Yardmaster, iota, and red7 are all at least as complicated as Hanabi.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Malloreon posted:

it's so good though

I sometimes wonder if anyone in the west actually ever played it and what their reactions to the theme were because I am a vicarious attention whore for pollackness.

Also rule of thumb on Polish designers:

- Oracz is good
- Trzewiczek is garbage, but I kind of like him as a person

E: - LICHTENSTEIN IS THE WORST

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Andarel posted:

Yardmaster, iota, and red7 are all at least as complicated as Hanabi.

Seriously. IOTA is a loving hard game.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Serious & competitive ---> Smash Up

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Ancient history --> Samurai & Barony

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Ignacy did pretty good work on Imperial Settlers, but it took a pile of tries to get there and the rest of the series is very rough around the edges. Other than that I haven't been too impressed by his games.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sector_corrector posted:

http://www.snakesandlattes.com/uploads/Holiday2015BoardGameBuyingGuide.pdf

It's loving awful. Try to find where Codenames is, I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Thank you, I am sending this guide to my mother, it seems to understand my tastes perfectly.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
where the gently caress is codenames on there??

also, where the gently caress is space alert? how can you have space, co-op, and even galaxy trucker without space alert?

how the gently caress can you recommend avalon to somebody who owns resistance but not recommend hidden agenda?

what the gently caress is this chart

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Broken Loose posted:

where the gently caress is codenames on there??

it's not on there.

Code Names, however, is.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Andarel posted:

Ignacy did pretty good work on Imperial Settlers, but it took a pile of tries to get there and the rest of the series is very rough around the edges. Other than that I haven't been too impressed by his games.

:agreed: I was excited for Rattle Battle Grab the Loot but it's pretty drat terrible. The Imperial Settlers expansions are also so stupidly fiddly with replacing cards from the decks and crap that it's not worth the hassle.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Gimnbo posted:

it's not on there.

Code Names, however, is.

C#
JAVA
Spaghetti
Malicious

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

They're fiddly but the cards and design are good. Tom Lehmann has talked a lot about why what Ignacy did is good design in theory, but Imperial Settlers doesn't get it quite right because there are more decks to deal with.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Andarel posted:

Except Imperial Settlers is a really bad game, and it sounds like the expansions make it worse.

Here's what I said about IS the last time it came up, a few months ago:

Malloreon posted:

If you want to play this game very quickly, gather 3 other players. Each player gets a die, and each sums 5 rolls of their die to determine their final score.
One random player, Japan, gets a d4. Two others get a d6 each. One player, Egypt, gets a d12.

In brief, each player has common buildings that can be attacked/destroyed by other players, and unique buildings, that cannot. Japan's unique buildings, however, can be attacked/destroyed as if they were common. To make up for it, each turn they can place one double strength defender dude.

Also, one of the Egypt player's unique buildings, the Oasis, is utterly game breaking. It boils down to "every time another player does [common action], Egypt gets to do [common action] as well, for free."

The game boils down to "if Egypt draws the Oasis before round 3 of 5, they will win by 30-40 points. Under no circumstances will Japan win."

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Tevery Best posted:

- Oracz is good
- Trzewiczek is garbage, but I kind of like him as a person

As a Trzewiczek hater #1 I do appreciate him as a publisher, and to a certain extent, designer. The man has some really nice, clever and imaginative ideas, but he also happens to be absolute hot trash developer who thinks he's actually great at it and really has no one to call him out since he's the owner of the most successful tabletop company in Poland. If he was just a no-name designer in Days of Wonder or something, stuff like Stronghold could be a household name. The best example is probably his poo poo tier fallout rip off rpg with the tonal consistency of DotA, that was initially supposed to be a very interesting existential hosed-up psychological "i have no mouth and i must scream also i'm a bioweapon now" horror game.

And yes, Oracz is good, although I'd understand if people considered him an acquired taste (having a non-Trzewiczek developer would help though).

quote:

E: - LICHTENSTEIN IS THE WORST

This one's hard to argue with, though.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Broken Loose posted:

what the gently caress is this chart

If I test this on myself, I am a hobby gamer -> I know what I like -> I know my favorite game -> it's Dominion:

So Star Realms or something called loving Xenoshyft Onslaught?

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

I'm a little sad I missed the Imperial Settlers comments, because they're completely wrong on almost all counts (exception: Oasis is indeed overpowered at 4p. It has been fixed in the reprint (with max 4 per round).

quote:

In brief, each player has common buildings that can be attacked/destroyed by other players, and unique buildings, that cannot. Japan's unique buildings, however, can be attacked/destroyed as if they were common. To make up for it, each turn they can place one double strength defender dude.

No, to make up for it they have dramatically lower faction building costs than anyone else, the best starting production of any faction in the game, the best card draw of any faction in the game, a way to break the Deal/Build economy in half (Dojo), an extremely strong but double-edged way to leech resources from other player's buildings (Trade Routes), and one of the strongest unconditional attacks in the game (Garrison). Their buildings are destroyable, yes, but it's rarely worth it - they cost the two or three swords but get you nothing but 1VP in return, meaning that sure you can attack them but unless you're actively generating enough resources/swords to spare the cost you're hurting yourself just as much. The first expansion rewarded factions that have lots of workers by freeing up more workers to run around the table due to open production locations, though the second expansion's not as amazing for them. The Japanese aren't competitive if everyone else teams up and attacks them/Egypt decides to throw away 20+VP on Chariot Builder + Royal Swimming Pool to troll Japan specifically because that's the thing to do or something, but realistically that's basically never worth it and the players should probably realize that they're just shooting themselves in the foot and get on with trying to actually win the game.

quote:

Also, one of the Egypt player's unique buildings, the Oasis, is utterly game breaking. It boils down to "every time another player does [common action], Egypt gets to do [common action] as well, for free."

It's half as good as that - it gives 1 worker whenever any other player spends 2 workers - but it's pretty broken at 4 players and has been fixed in the errata wave that went out a while back. It's balanced at 2p (kinda weak, if against Romans or possibly Atlanteans) and a bit strong at 3p?

quote:

The game boils down to "if Egypt draws the Oasis before round 3 of 5, they will win by 30-40 points. Under no circumstances will Japan win."

Well, if you were playing Oasis as listed above (Gain 2W whenever another player spends 2W) and only at 4p and other people didn't spend resources to save on workers via conversion cards like Castle, then maybe? Egypt is extremely strong with newer players because their strategy is obvious (gather gold, spend on VP, preferably with 2 Sphinx) and they have lots of flexibility because of said gold. They're also decently resilient to being razed, because they're usually wood-starved and giving them the free wood is super helpful. But denying them wood (which isnt' that hard, kill their brown common buildings and gold+vp/gray, ignore everything else) will dramatically damage their score, and the Egyptian deck requires a decent number of workers to get maximum points out of which is another thing they have trouble with if players aren't tossing them piles via Oasis. If anything, we've found Temple of Ra more problematic than Oasis because of its ability to damage a single player's score via turning off a Feature for a round, but that's not really any scarier than Garrison or Engineers in that attacks are strong across the board in IS.

Generally, we've found the Romans to be the strongest faction by a slight margin (at the 20+ game mark), followed by Japanese, followed by Egyptians, followed by Barbarians - but it's not dramatic. First expansion helps the Barbarians and Japanese a lot, but the Egyptians get a huge buff from Gifts of the Pharaoh (which might be slightly overpowered, hard to tell with production buildings)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

If I test this on myself, I am a hobby gamer -> I know what I like -> I know my favorite game -> it's Dominion:

So Star Realms or something called loving Xenoshyft Onslaught?

Xenoshyft: Onslaught is actually pretty decent. It's a fully cooperative tower defence game with a Dominion-style setup and a couple of nice twists. Some cards come with the ability to automatically upgrade to better cards; this includes your money, so there's much less pressure on having enough for the more expensive cards. Stacks get replaced with new stacks when they empty, but there's a lot of cards that go back into their stack when used and if you've emptied that stack they instead get removed from the game. Unfortunately the best twist was a Kickstarter exclusive; unique hero versions of each soldier type that can replace the basic unit if they survive a round of combat.

It's a better app than a physical game, though.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
I assume runebound is a bad game

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It's got some kind of pog based combat apparently, so it's either glorious or atrocious.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Just in case anyone thought maybe Jedit had a good opinion, I can safely dispel that fear. Xenoshyft is hot garbage. Here's what I had to say about it:

Scyther posted:

Judging solely from playing the Xenoshyft app solo like fifteen times I declare it to be donkey doo-doo diarrhea. It's got this really weird stilted pacing in the form of preventing you from buying anything good for the first X rounds so you get the feeling of being pummeled by the aliens for a while before you thematically "claw your way back" except you didn't actually do anything, you're just doing what the game lets you do. The item market varies a little (very little) bit from game to game, but the troops available for purchase are always the same. In round one you can buy Rangers and that's it. In round two you can buy three different units that all have the same basic stats and only differ on their special ability. In round three you can buy some different things. Wow thanks for letting me start having fun when the game is two thirds over. It also does the thing where everything you buy goes straight into your hand, and your money cards automatically combine themselves into bigger money cards. It doesn't feel like deckbuilding at all, nothing you do feels like it matters, you just buy some troops and probably some items that will proc your department special ability, then slap poo poo down and hope you rock paper scissored whatever the alien deck spits at you, because there's no meaningful way to actually prepare for all the random bullshit the game throws at you. Oh, you put a strong dude in front? Well this alien attacks from the back. Oh you put a strong dude in the back? This alien does splash damage on the first several rows and wipes the floor with the weenies you stuck in front. This alien jumps to the back of its lane and makes every other alien stronger, which means if it comes out first thing in the round and you don't have something that can wipe it out on reveal, you're probably hosed, but if it comes out last there's nothing to buff but itself so it's pointless.

Dominion is obviously light years better. Legendary is leagues better. Even loving Ascension and Star Realms are better. In short, Xenoshyft is garbage and CoolMiniOrNot is a garbage company that sells garbage.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I played Xenoshyft once, since a friend of mine bought it against my advice and was looking to justify his purchase and I said he'd have to put up with Twilight Stuggle later and he implied his attractive sister might play. Under such circumstances it's "tolerable but lol if you call it a deckbuilder," even if said sister had to work late. Never actually drop money on it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, I got the app on sale the first day to try it and Legendary Alien does everything it does but 10 X better. Glad I only spent $.99 on it.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Xenoshyft is indeed donkey doo-doo diarrhea.

Das Doppelganger
Dec 22, 2012
I can't make heads or tails of Imperial Settlers. Most of my group is either 'meh' or hates it. People on the interwebs either love it or hate it. I feel like I would enjoy it if my people weren't miserable playing it, but I don't think I'd enjoy it enough to tell somebody 'YOU MUST BUY THIS!!!" It's another one I can't bring myself to part with but also don't think will get played in my house again.

Regarding Hanabi: This is the opposite of the above. My group (basically my family) thinks table talk is a hoot. Games like Hanabi and Codenames are flat out pointless and ruined if you are going to let table talk happen. So my choices are to let them do it and sit dreaming about doing something more productive or be a rules lawyer and make them all hate the game reminding them every 20 seconds they can't table talk.

Codenames may hit the table yet this weekend. If it goes how I suspect it will it may be the only time it hits the table.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Uh, apart from the spymaster, Codenames is fine with tabletalk?

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Played Ghost Blitz It was a hoot and super fun competitive for a supposed kids game. There are 5 different shaped different colored objects. Flip a card and you have to grab the object that matches or the one that is not represented. It's funny how sometimes it takes a split second and sometimes 8 people's brains stall out at the same time. Plus there's a chance of loosing a finger.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, I got the app on sale the first day to try it and Legendary Alien does everything it does but 10 X better. Glad I only spent $.99 on it.

I'll continue to disagree on Xenoshyft being terrible, but I will agree that it was obsoleted in my collection by Legendary Encounters. I'm waiting on CMON to send me the sleeves missing from my pledge before I sell it on.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Scyther posted:

Uh, apart from the spymaster, Codenames is fine with tabletalk?

Pretty much, yes. The spies don't know what is on which team, so their table talk is very risky and may give the opposing spymaster ideas.

The only thing to avoid is the 'weeeeelll maaaaaybe this miiiiight work New York 3' bit.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Pretty much, yes. The spies don't know what is on which team, so their table talk is very risky and may give the opposing spymaster ideas.

The only thing to avoid is the 'weeeeelll maaaaaybe this miiiiight work New York 3' bit.

Sure, or it might give their own spymaster an idea of their train of thought so they can give better clues. I don't see how the game has anything to gain from not having clue guessers table talk. Heck, let the opposing team's clue guessers heckle them.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Andarel posted:

Welcome to the Dungeon is actually pretty good though, rest are butt.

Boss Monster is a great light game that you can use as a gateway to get horrible nerds to play better games.

I loving love Fluxx* too just for being an honest to god nomic in card game form.

*I do recognize that it is in no way a good game but man I love the concept enough to have some fun with it every once in a while.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Banana Man posted:

I assume runebound is a bad game

I wouldn't call it bad. I'd call it bland as all gently caress with a random ending. One of the expansions fixes the ending part, but I bet it's still bland.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Scyther posted:

Sure, or it might give their own spymaster an idea of their train of thought so they can give better clues. I don't see how the game has anything to gain from not having clue guessers table talk. Heck, let the opposing team's clue guessers heckle them.

If you aren't heckling the other team then you're playing Codenames wrong.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Ryoshi posted:

Boss Monster is a great light game that you can use as a gateway to get horrible nerds to play better games.

I loving love Fluxx* too just for being an honest to god nomic in card game form.

*I do recognize that it is in no way a good game but man I love the concept enough to have some fun with it every once in a while.

Boss Monster is bad. If you get an unlucky start you're stuck playing whatever you draw every turn. Also the room(s?) that gives you more spells should be called "if you don't get this room prepare for boredom"

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I haven't opened up the new Runebound yet, but just looking at it the combat looks more interesting (good) and faster (THANK GOD) but it still has the god awful random movement system that's probably a deal breaker for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Kai Tave posted:

If you aren't heckling the other team then you're playing Codenames wrong.

Man, I talk poo poo in every game like it's an Olympic sport.