Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I use a section of one of those revolving tool holder things.

http://smile.amazon.com/Loew-Cornel...+tool+organizer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I've been away this weekend but took some time tonight to gloss varnish and add a dark grey pin wash to the Ghostkeel.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
Hi-Mock + red metallic paint job + 1/24 truck accessories + 1/6 revolvers + low effort base

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

^^^ Awesome!

Arquinsiel posted:

I just use a glass I bought in Ikea which I had intended to be a drinking glass for my desk but which got filled with brushes and just sort of de-facto ended up being the storage glass :shrug:

De facto storage glass, best storage glass.

I don't drink coffee or tea, so the mugs that came with my plates and bowls go totally unused. But because the mug I picked to hold my tools has given stalwart and loyal service, and because I'm a sentimental sap, I've marked my designated brush mug so I don't use some other identical but nonetheless different mug.

In hi-mock news: as I said before, I salted my robit. Today, in addition to setting up my Christmas tree, I applied the white wash.

This is with the salt brushed off, but before I went hog wild on the chipping solution.

And here's the result after flailing at the dried but not quite fully set white paint with a damp brush:

Thinking I'm gonna apply some generic number and German cross decals for good measure.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Both of those are great. I haven't even finished the assembly on mine, so I am pretty sure that getting it done by the end of the month (i.e. tomorrow) is just not going to happen. Oh well.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

The Locator posted:

Both of those are great. I haven't even finished the assembly on mine, so I am pretty sure that getting it done by the end of the month (i.e. tomorrow) is just not going to happen. Oh well.

I built mine (see previous posts), but have done nothing since. I had some ideas, but no real time with work ramping up (I work at a ski resort - it's opening time).

So mine will probably also be late.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Arquinsiel posted:

I just use a glass I bought in Ikea which I had intended to be a drinking glass for my desk but which got filled with brushes and just sort of de-facto ended up being the storage glass :shrug:

I have an old ceramic glass with Bagheera on one side and Shere Khan on the other, that I got at a dollar store ten years ago.

Spent the weekend building the 1/12 Bandai Speeder Bike kit I got this summer. It was even better than the Gundam kit I tried last time. I mean, on the Gundam kit there was different coloured plastics on the same sprue, which was pretty neat. This time? White, black, and transparent plastic on the same sprue. But that's not all: both gloss and matte plastic on the same sprue, and parts of the sprue had a softer, almost rubber-like version of the same coloured plastic. So stuff that was likely to break easily, like the long hoses and stuff, where in a softer plastic to keep it safe! It was all in all pretty mindblowing.

I think I'll end up leaving the Scout Trooper unpainted, as it looks pretty good and action figure-ish, and paint the Speeder. Then I'll give it to one of my nephews for Christmas.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Nov 30, 2015

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

In hi-mock news: as I said before, I salted my robit. Today, in addition to setting up my Christmas tree, I applied the white wash.

This is with the salt brushed off, but before I went hog wild on the chipping solution.

And here's the result after flailing at the dried but not quite fully set white paint with a damp brush:

Thinking I'm gonna apply some generic number and German cross decals for good measure.

Base Emitter posted:

Hi-Mock + red metallic paint job + 1/24 truck accessories + 1/6 revolvers + low effort base

I totally love both of these.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Just curious, are there any good scale modeling podcasts out there? I tried looking for some, but failed at finding any.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
-stupid phone double post-

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I have pretty much assembled my Hi-Crap and done nothing with it yet, too. Whoops! Mostly because I've been recruited to turn a model train set into the Hogwarts Express. I'm trying to go overboard and making a womping willow with a lil' blue car in it. :3:

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Anyone have any good recommendations for paintbrush storage?

Currently keeping my brushes in a loose container (lovely, low quality brushes) which I think is shortening their lifespan.

I got this for like 3 bucks at a local art supply. Fits my brushes and a lot of my tools. It's pretty awesome.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Would something like this work as an airbrush station for acrylics now that I got my airbrush in, or is there a better option for apartment use? Also, does the filter work well enough that I can keep the exhaust duct indoors?

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-Products%C2%AE-Airbrush-Extractory/dp/B004ZH7RSM

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
So what's your guys' usual procedure for cleaning airbrushes? I got mine out the other day for the first time in quite a while and was reminded of how tedious it was.

I use Tamiya paint so I'm usually spraying that in a 2:1 ratio with 70% iso alcohol. Once I finished with my color, I ran a few cups worth of straight alcohol through it into one of the jars like this guy:

After a few cups, I take it to the sink and disassemble and clean with q-tips, alcohol, and water. Does this seem like overdoing it? Underdoing it? What do you guys normally do between colors if you're doing multiples in one session? I'm just trying to get an idea of whether or not I'm doing this poo poo right.

Also, any recommendations on paint that's airbrush ready? Straight out of a bottle/jar and into the cup would be awesome. I normally do automotive stuff, so a big military color selection isn't really necessary.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

After a few cups, I take it to the sink and disassemble and clean with q-tips, alcohol, and water. Does this seem like overdoing it? Underdoing it? What do you guys normally do between colors if you're doing multiples in one session? I'm just trying to get an idea of whether or not I'm doing this poo poo right.

Between colors, unless I'm going from like black to pure white I just run water through it, spraying into my hand until it stops coming out colored. I usually only do any real cleaning or disassembly when I'm done for the night. Then I use cleaning stuff on a paper towel to wipe it down. Cleaning implements only come out if it somehow manages to gunk up in a big way.

The vallejo Air line is theoretically pre-thinned, but the individual colors vary wildly in consistently, from "lol no, I'm thinning that" to actually thinner than I'd like for, eg, every goddamn shade of green I've tried that isn't a primer.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 1, 2015

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Between colors, I dump the remaining paint, give the inside of the cup a wipe to get the majority of the leftover paint off. Swirl a little cleaner in there with a cotton swab, dump that, then add a little more cleaner and spray until it goes clear.

If you don't wipe out the cup first, and just blow cup after cup of cleaner, you're just wasting it since there is so much leftover paint in the cup and in the tip of the airbrush. Overall I probably don't use more than a tablespoon of cleaner between colors.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mr E posted:

Would something like this work as an airbrush station for acrylics now that I got my airbrush in, or is there a better option for apartment use? Also, does the filter work well enough that I can keep the exhaust duct indoors?

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-Products%C2%AE-Airbrush-Extractory/dp/B004ZH7RSM

That'll work, though if the fan is too beefy you may have to replace the flat nozzle with a wider duct from a hardware store. In any case I strongly recommend venting out a window or into a bathroom with a running exhaust fan or something to get it out of your face - even if the fiilter gets all the paint particles you will be inhaling solvent vapor.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Want a sweet new weathering technique? Forget salt, just drop your robot down the fire escape right after spraying the gloss coat, that gives it a few nice realistic scratches.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Take care with what "acrylics" you're using as well. Stuff like Vallejo are true water-based acrylics, whereas Tamiya is a lacquer-based acrylic.

Shooting Tamiya will definitely give you more vapours than Vallejo (although nowhere near what a true lacquer would).

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
I thought Tamiya was alcohol based? Or is that just clears?

(I blew a bunch of Tamiya clear red on my hi-mock, but this room is pretty well ventilated in the sense that it can waft through the rest of my condo...)

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Base Emitter posted:

I thought Tamiya was alcohol based? Or is that just clears?

(I blew a bunch of Tamiya clear red on my hi-mock, but this room is pretty well ventilated in the sense that it can waft through the rest of my condo...)

Fumigating my roommates was my way of getting back at them for always leaving the kitchen a disaster. Now, though, I have to duct my booth out a window.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
November just ran out, and you know what that means! Go, Soviet commubot!

Smash the invaders!

Even the toughest fascist beasts are no match for its strength!

Feel safe, comrades, knowing that the commubot vigilantly defends your borders night and day.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ensign Expendable posted:

Smash the invaders!

This right here is perfect.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

November just ran out, and you know what that means! Go, Soviet commubot!

Smash the invaders!

Even the toughest fascist beasts are no match for its strength!

Feel safe, comrades, knowing that the commubot vigilantly defends your borders night and day.

Haha, this made my morning. Good job!

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Here's a summary of the Hi-Mock fun.

Unkempt posted:

Here we go.

hjp766 posted:

Finished the Hi-Mock.

The whole album is http://imgur.com/a/DuxkR here.

Start

End

Colonial Air Force posted:

Nice!

Also, this Hi-Mock is fun. I could get addicted to these things.

E:

Finished building the hi-mock. Man, for a $15 kit, these things have a ton of parts and are very high quality. Plus they're fun to pose!

Let's play the children's favourite, "boot the fascist"!

Oh you, your silly knife can't do anything against my punchy fist!

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Gotta figure out a color scheme now.

Commissar Canuck posted:

I just finished up Comrade Katyusha for November :toot:

The lighting isn't the best, but I tried going for a worn, yet not neglected look as far as weathering goes.

The original plan was to have it holding an appropriately sized Ppsh41, but the two I got were either too big or too small. So I fell back on Plan B: Get a cheapo Tiger model and turn it into Panzerklub™

You can't see it in the pictures, but I took a lighter to one side so I could give it some solid dents, along with bending the barrel.

I brave and patriotic 1/72 scale Katyusha truck sacrificed it's rack for the cause :ussr:

The barricade is from Flames of War if anyone is wondering.

AlphaDog posted:

FInished the Hi-Mock, can't seem to get a decent photo. Here it is anyway.

Base Emitter posted:

Blue Footed Booby posted:

^^^ Awesome!

De facto storage glass, best storage glass.

I don't drink coffee or tea, so the mugs that came with my plates and bowls go totally unused. But because the mug I picked to hold my tools has given stalwart and loyal service, and because I'm a sentimental sap, I've marked my designated brush mug so I don't use some other identical but nonetheless different mug.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
Just wandered in here from the minis painting thread where this got crossposted to say that

Base Emitter posted:

thanks to the two revolvers and the fact that it works as a pun, I can't think of this guy as anything other than Revolver Ocebot

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Your crapbots are great! May craptank group builds live forever

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Great job everyone on the bots. Sorry I didn't get mine done.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
What's the next crapkit? I wanna play too!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

What's the next crapkit? I wanna play too!

I've missed the hi-mock, but I think I've ordered one anyway. Break the mould.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I skipped the 'bot, but I'm up for a crapkit in January maybe?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Dang. Hoping to get mine done by the end of the week. God drat you, procrastination and turkey.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

lilljonas posted:

I skipped the 'bot, but I'm up for a crapkit in January maybe?

February. Revel Fokker Dr.1 https://www.scalemates.com/kits/103719-revell-04116-fokker-dr-1-triplane nevermind new tool used

Airfix P-51. It's the opposite of crap kit but available everywhere, and practically falls together and it's a mustang there's like a million ways to do it up...

:10bux: at http://www.amazon.com/Airfix-North-American-Mustang-A01004/dp/B0071LEYWQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448987818&sr=8-1&keywords=airfix+p-51

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jonny Nox posted:

February. Revel Fokker Dr.1 https://www.scalemates.com/kits/103719-revell-04116-fokker-dr-1-triplane nevermind new tool used

Airfix P-51. It's the opposite of crap kit but available everywhere, and practically falls together and it's a mustang there's like a million ways to do it up...

:10bux: at http://www.amazon.com/Airfix-North-American-Mustang-A01004/dp/B0071LEYWQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448987818&sr=8-1&keywords=airfix+p-51

I like how the official decal even says "lolipoop"

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

We had a craptank and crapbot. That leaves a crapplane and shitship?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Molentik posted:

We had a craptank and crapbot. That leaves a crapplane and shitship?

Also, cars, spaceships, and cargo shipping containers.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Alternately we could ask the minis thread to pick a crapdollly since we've done the model and gunpla threads already.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

Alternately we could ask the minis thread to pick a crapdollly since we've done the model and gunpla threads already.

I paint enough minis anyway, I'd personally prefer to make a crapkit. But I also think it would be interesting to see a seasoned model kit hobbyist who never painted a warham try to paint a mini.

I haven't built a plane since I was a young boy, so I'm game for a 1/72 plane.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

lilljonas posted:

I paint enough minis anyway, I'd personally prefer to make a crapkit. But I also think it would be interesting to see a seasoned model kit hobbyist who never painted a warham try to paint a mini.

I haven't built a plane since I was a young boy, so I'm game for a 1/72 plane.

I'm game for a car, since I'm not a car guy, and I've done two cars in my life, before I knew what I was doing. (Knight Industries Two Thousand, and some "classic" ford for someone)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Jonny Nox posted:

Hi, I'm from the minis thread.

The struggle you will have with table top minis is that they are either teeny tiny, or very expensive. One alternative is to get a model from Reaper Miniatures made out of their Bones material. Many of you will come to hate this stuff, but it lets you buy big models for cheap; such as:

The Dragon Tortoise $8.29 ($6.22 at Miniature Market)

or

The Flying Saucer $7.29 ($5.47 at Miniature Market)

Luckily the Shipping Container $8.29 is made of more rigid material and won't be such a pain in the neck. But sadly it is almost never in stock.

They have some other great stuff, but the prices just go up and up.

The Kraken $24.99 ($18.74 at Miniature Market)

Cthulhu $39.99 ($29.99 at Miniature Market)

Fake edit:

Maybe the Jabberwocky would work? $12.99 ($9.74 at Miniature Market)

or $13 shipped from eBay

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 1, 2015