Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

How does Golden Crackle paste compare to the Agrellan Earth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Z the IVth posted:

Has anyone used GW's Agrellan Earth crackle paint? What's the verdict?

It's not that bad, just a mite on the fragile side. Give it a wash or a layer atop to give it a bit more strength and you're golden.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

Here's a crappy pic:

It's great for being lazy when basing and the effect does work. I washed with Agrax to get some colour variation and also matte varnished the whole thing, as it can flake up pretty easily. It works best on larger surfaces imo, and obviously it's easier to have a base with a rim.

It doesn't fill gaps but it is still a little thick, as you'll pretty much be globbing paint straight from the pot. I would also suggest adding some rocks to the base pre-paint to give variety and have something for the medium to stick to/pool around.

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO
Old orcs rank 2 about done.
Crap lighting as per.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Z the IVth posted:

Just get kroma crackle. poo poo is way more dynamic. Used it to make ice on my game table.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Litterbox posted:

Nice work. What game are these for?

They're Warhammer Empire Greatswords. I'll probably use them for Savage Worlds and D&D.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
So I want to display a single miniature I painted. Is there a good sort of miniature display box I could use for this? I know a dice cube works, but they always have that injection part on the top and they look kinda tacky. He's just a dude on a 25mm base but I might want to expand the base a little bit so it can look like more of a display piece when it's not on the table.

Context: I painted a mini for my dad last year and he has it on display in his office by putting it in an upturned jar and I want to show it off with something nicer.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

SRM posted:

So I want to display a single miniature I painted. Is there a good sort of miniature display box I could use for this? I know a dice cube works, but they always have that injection part on the top and they look kinda tacky. He's just a dude on a 25mm base but I might want to expand the base a little bit so it can look like more of a display piece when it's not on the table.

Context: I painted a mini for my dad last year and he has it on display in his office by putting it in an upturned jar and I want to show it off with something nicer.

Small doll display domes for small pew-pew dolls:

http://www.collectingwarehouse.com/Product-Home-Page/Glass-Doll-Domes-22-Sizes/

Just an example, you can find a suitable size if you google around a bit.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Anyone know a good way to do pinstripes? I thought a masking template was the way to go, but I can only find hexgrids.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

lilljonas posted:

Small doll display domes for small pew-pew dolls:

http://www.collectingwarehouse.com/Product-Home-Page/Glass-Doll-Domes-22-Sizes/

Just an example, you can find a suitable size if you google around a bit.

Display boxes for baseballs work decently, too.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Great suggestions guys, thanks!

I'm finally working on my Space Stalingrad board (Cosmograd? Wintergrad?)

Not pictured: the other dozen+ tiles that make up the 6x4 board. Tomorrow I'll black in the craters, and I'll do the snow and sewer grates and such when I'm back in Boston.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SRM posted:

Great suggestions guys, thanks!

I'm finally working on my Space Stalingrad board (Cosmograd? Wintergrad?)

Not pictured: the other dozen+ tiles that make up the 6x4 board. Tomorrow I'll black in the craters, and I'll do the snow and sewer grates and such when I'm back in Boston.

Looks great so far! How did you do it?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

LordAba posted:

Looks great so far! How did you do it?
Real simple. I went out in my parents' yard, laid all 6x4 of the table out on cardboard, and primed it black. Took almost an entire can of Krylon primer. I got a dark brown, black, grey, and white paint from a craft store in town. The sidewalks/flagstones were brown, then mixed with successively more grey for 3 passes. The roads were black and grey for 3 passes, with the last and lightest one being mostly just on the stones and such. I just alternated between street and sidewalk with each coat, and it let them dry a little between passes. Whole thing took me 2 hours.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
The dropzone elite infantry got their bases today so now they're 100% done. I put numbers on the bases for identification and army list purposes and added them to my old infantry as well. The first pic has an old fire warrior for scale comparison.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Bistromatic posted:

The dropzone elite infantry got their bases today so now they're 100% done. I put numbers on the bases for identification and army list purposes and added them to my old infantry as well. The first pic has an old fire warrior for scale comparison.

The OSL and bases on these are so loving cool.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Cross positing from the oath thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oath for November complete! Claiming jurnal for the birch tree ent with fall leaves and the Bugbear Squash Squad.

First up this month is a Birch Tree Ent wandering around in the fall season.

Next up is the Bugbear Squash Squad. Many creatures beyond the more civilized races also celebrate the fall harvest. The Bugbear is no different. Long ago they learned that the fall was a great time to send out squash squads to collect farmers as they labored. The Bugbear Squash Squads venture out to the fields in leather armor adorned to resemble squashes. Yellow studded greaves, lamellar adorned with gourds, and images of fall squashes on their shields. They rush out yelling "Squash!" as they beat them into jelly with their maces and clubs, and one with a sharp implement for skinning when necessary. Here the Bugbears make all of the Human Jam, Halfling Jelly and Elven Marmalade they need to sustain themselves through the cold season ahead.

Rohan spear and arrow units!

Everyone for the month in a group shot:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Bistromatic posted:

These are loving sharp, dude.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Bistromatic posted:

Those Sam Fishers are adorable and your bases continue to be too cool not to sell.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Thanks y'all!

The bases are kinda for sale, i talked to a distributor who seemed interested but never heard back from them so i'm going to sell them via forums/facebook/cons/whatever if there's interest. Just shoot me a PM i guess.

I tried to take some proper daylight photos today but with the current weather this is the best i could manage:

I also did first tests for the next project, tails for my light dropships.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I've been away this weekend but took some time tonight to gloss varnish and add a dark grey pin wash to the Ghostkeel.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I have a Kastalan robot in progress I could use advice on. Anything I should be doing to improve this model before I finish him up? This is my first time painting yellow. It's not perfect, but I'm happy with the way it turned out. I could whiten up the edges a bit more, I think. It isn't as smooth everywhere as I wanted, but I do feel like I'm thinning my paints better and getting improved results.

It's supposed to be an Ever-Faithful, in this case Sor-Methuselas of the Din-Thoria Maniple, Red-Lessons of Agra Prime. I figured throwing in one or two Ever-Faithful, who don't match the color scheme, would add interest to my army and also reflect the Tech Priest-Dominus having collecting ancient robots along his adventures.

I should add hazard stripes to his blaster housing, but I'm not sure how I'm going to go about doing that yet.

I'm wondering if I should try weathering it, since the Ever-Faithful are supposed to be pre-unification war robots (so about 15,000 years old?).

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 30, 2015

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I was thinking of picking up the Badger 105 Patriot and an air compressor, preferably one that isn't too loud. Could I get a few goon recommendations? The OP says I can choose two of good, cheap, and support, but I'm not sure which compressor meets each criteria.

I'm planning on using the setup to paint Warmachine miniatures. Is the Badger able to do detail work for infantry? The Sotar sounds like a steep learning curve, but I could be persuaded either way.

How about the Sparmax Inspire Tc620X?

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 30, 2015

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO

big_g posted:

I've been away this weekend but took some time tonight to gloss varnish and add a dark grey pin wash to the Ghostkeel.

You're killing it with this guy. Keep posting.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Yeah, that ghostkeel is going great. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I added some battle damage. I think I may not do the gun casing stripes. The surface is curved and I tried to fit small strips of masking tape but it was challenging to get the angle correct. I could battle damage the housing instead...

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

DeadGame posted:

I added some battle damage. I think I may not do the gun casing stripes. The surface is curved and I tried to fit small strips of masking tape but it was challenging to get the angle correct. I could battle damage the housing instead...

Watch the Dr Faust video on painting Castellans. Very good inspiration ffor weathering there.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

dmnz posted:

You're killing it with this guy. Keep posting.

I'm glad I finally watched some Appleseed with my wife this weekend, so that I can make contact with the emotional core of this piece.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

oath thread x-post

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

OATH COMPLETE

no theme

One of these days I'll not work all the time, and actually have time to paint.

Wanted to push some blends and harsh color pairings this month. Mostly successful, I think. gently caress blending purple forever.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Proper good, nice one dude

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

KPC_Mammon posted:

Is the Badger able to do detail work for infantry? The Sotar sounds like a steep learning curve, but I could be persuaded either way.

How about the Sparmax Inspire Tc620X?

That compressor should be in the OP as a goon recommended product, same as the Patriot and Sotar. (I'll edit it in soon)

I would suggest find a good deal on the Patriot and get the Sparmax compressor. Learn how to use the airbrush with the standard needle (like, a few months or several stacks of models) and if you can afford it get the Sotar when you think you're ready, or try the budget way and get the fine detail needle/nozzle set for the Patriot. It's about one-third the cost of the Sotar Amazon sale price.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

big_g posted:

I love this model and what you're doing with it!

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

HardCoil posted:

I love this model and what you're doing with it!

Thanks, I'm really just making it up as I go. I really have no idea what I'm doing long term.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

krushgroove posted:

That compressor should be in the OP as a goon recommended product, same as the Patriot and Sotar. (I'll edit it in soon)

I would suggest find a good deal on the Patriot and get the Sparmax compressor. Learn how to use the airbrush with the standard needle (like, a few months or several stacks of models) and if you can afford it get the Sotar when you think you're ready, or try the budget way and get the fine detail needle/nozzle set for the Patriot. It's about one-third the cost of the Sotar Amazon sale price.

Thank you for this. The OP has been really helpful at getting me back into miniature painting these past several months.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Crossposting from the Scale Model thread November craptankbot challenge.

Go, Soviet commubot!

Smash the invaders!

Even the toughest fascist beasts are no match for its strength!

Feel safe, comrades, knowing that the commubot vigilantly defends your borders night and day.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Ensign Expendable posted:

Crossposting from the Scale Model thread November craptankbot challenge.

Go, Soviet commubot!

Smash the invaders!

Even the toughest fascist beasts are no match for its strength!

Feel safe, comrades, knowing that the commubot vigilantly defends your borders night and day.

Love the commubot, looks great.

I've not been contributing to the Hi-Mock fun but I thought I would share here all the fun that's being going down in the scale modelling thread as I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Unkempt posted:

Here we go.

hjp766 posted:

Finished the Hi-Mock.

The whole album is http://imgur.com/a/DuxkR here.

Start

End

Colonial Air Force posted:

Nice!

Also, this Hi-Mock is fun. I could get addicted to these things.

E:

Ensign Expendable posted:

Finished building the hi-mock. Man, for a $15 kit, these things have a ton of parts and are very high quality. Plus they're fun to pose!

Let's play the children's favourite, "boot the fascist"!

Oh you, your silly knife can't do anything against my punchy fist!

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Gotta figure out a color scheme now.

Commissar Canuck posted:

I just finished up Comrade Katyusha for November :toot:

The lighting isn't the best, but I tried going for a worn, yet not neglected look as far as weathering goes.

The original plan was to have it holding an appropriately sized Ppsh41, but the two I got were either too big or too small. So I fell back on Plan B: Get a cheapo Tiger model and turn it into Panzerklub™

You can't see it in the pictures, but I took a lighter to one side so I could give it some solid dents, along with bending the barrel.

I brave and patriotic 1/72 scale Katyusha truck sacrificed it's rack for the cause :ussr:

The barricade is from Flames of War if anyone is wondering.

AlphaDog posted:

FInished the Hi-Mock, can't seem to get a decent photo. Here it is anyway.

Base Emitter posted:

Hi-Mock + red metallic paint job + 1/24 truck accessories + 1/6 revolvers + low effort base

Blue Footed Booby posted:

^^^ Awesome!

De facto storage glass, best storage glass.

I don't drink coffee or tea, so the mugs that came with my plates and bowls go totally unused. But because the mug I picked to hold my tools has given stalwart and loyal service, and because I'm a sentimental sap, I've marked my designated brush mug so I don't use some other identical but nonetheless different mug.

In hi-mock news: as I said before, I salted my robit. Today, in addition to setting up my Christmas tree, I applied the white wash.

This is with the salt brushed off, but before I went hog wild on the chipping solution.

And here's the result after flailing at the dried but not quite fully set white paint with a damp brush:

Thinking I'm gonna apply some generic number and German cross decals for good measure.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I think I liked Craptank more, but Hi-Mock has some good results there.

Also GW started putting out their advent calendar of painting tutorials with how to paint white power armor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFsFy0n8H-4
It's not bad, I personally don't know if doing that sort of pin wash thing takes longer than just washing the whole model and bringing it back up to light grey, but it's a tutorial that gets good results.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Well, it does serve the dual purpose of training someone new to painting in precision while also getting layering, washes, and the way to paint a light color handled. IMO a well thought out lesson.

Just Don't Give GW Money.

Edit: Also holy poo poo at all the awesome himocks. I thought that went nowhere so I ordered mine and now it's sitting around in its box :(

I have to do something with it this holiday. Just to prove I'm cool like you guys.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

SRM posted:

Also GW started putting out their advent calendar of painting tutorials with how to paint white power armor:
It's not bad, I personally don't know if doing that sort of pin wash thing takes longer than just washing the whole model and bringing it back up to light grey, but it's a tutorial that gets good results.

Eh, I mean, I'm probably just bad at it but having done a bunch of stormtroopers recently with the latter method, it's time consuming and tedious as all hell, especially when you've got like 20 to do. I've still got a few heavies left to paint, I might try a pin wash on those instead of washing the whole model.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hauki posted:

Eh, I mean, I'm probably just bad at it but having done a bunch of stormtroopers recently with the latter method, it's time consuming and tedious as all hell, especially when you've got like 20 to do. I've still got a few heavies left to paint, I might try a pin wash on those instead of washing the whole model.

I've done 30 of the modern plastic GW stormtroopers and I just swamp the dude in brown wash and bring it back up, but they've got brown BDUs and leather straps and metallics and other stuff that takes that wash well. I figure it's faster to do the whole model up but even when I'm doing the whites on my nice and tidy Ultramarines I hit the whole area up with blue and bring it back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

SRM posted:

That white power armor is light grey. I like your white results better.