Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Toona the Cat posted:

:stare:

I am not soothing vapors.

Ok, now I'm sure you're sv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

edit: Nevermind, nothing to see here.

Tokelau All Star fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 19, 2016

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I went on a ski trip last week with a dude who's a junior m&a lawyer in a big firm. On one of the days he had to answer 61 emails. This was the second time he left his city in a year. Why do you people do this to yourselves?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Because maybe in 10-20 years he'll have sucked enough dick to become a partner and then get to live a lavish life of luxury while his associates answer 61 emails from him on day one of their vacation.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Syncopated posted:

I went on a ski trip last week with a dude who's a junior m&a lawyer in a big firm. On one of the days he had to answer 61 emails. This was the second time he left his city in a year. Why do you people do this to yourselves?

Love of money and lack of foresight

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Syncopated posted:

Because children who've been helicopter-parented to death grow up believing that 'going to law school' means that one day they'll finally live in their dream world where they'll always be right and never lose an argument because its a magical place where whoever throws the best and loudest and longest temper tantrum always gets what they want. This dream evolves into an adderal-fueled mission as their minds and souls are slowly tainted by the stress and failures encountered along the way.

The constant drudgery, soul-crushing emotional and intellectual labor, red flags, and relentless criticisms are all just 'tests' to them, and if they just answer a few more emails on vacation, they'll finally ascend to the magic land beyond the clouds where all their dreams finally come true, in the land of the lies told by all those who've gone before.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Toona the Cat posted:

And then when we went to bed we had a talk about how if the shoe was on the other foot, blah blah blah.

Toona the Cat posted:

The truth is a lot worse. I got married when I was 21 to my high school girlfriend's college best friend, went to college after getting out of the Air Force at 30 at a predominantly women's university, met someone 9 years younger, realized my marriage was awful, started dating the day I moved out of my old house, got re-married 2 years later.

Toona the Cat posted:

Me talking to my buddy about study group girl, who I've made plans with for when she comes back:

Him: "Just tell your wife that at one time she was study group girl."
Me: "That's about the worst thing I can say"
Him: "Good point."

Note: I started dating my current wife while I was still married.

I'm drunk and make bad decisions.

It seems like the shoe is already on her other foot.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 19, 2016

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I want off Mr. Toona's wild ride.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Tuna, if you are real and not a troll, you know you can just date girls right? You don't have to marry every girl you date.

I hope this helps.

Signed,
A Divorce Attorney

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

lmao

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Mrs. Toona posted:

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Off to a good start for the semester. Watching Other People's Money starring Danny DeVito in my Corporations class

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Syncopated posted:

because now im high up enough that i can shovel whatever problem he had to deal with onto him

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Ah the American dream, if you are miserable long enough you can also make other people miserable.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Please mods, make this the thread title.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

blarzgh posted:

. . . because its a magical place where whoever throws the best and loudest and longest temper tantrum always gets what they want.

But this is actually true . . . .

Also, why are we concerned about Toona publicly posting details about his infidelity? He may well live in one of those states where you could literally rear end-gently caress your mistress in front of the courthouse, and it still cannot be factored into the divorce.

(See, also, an old man enters a confessional and proudly exclaims, "Father, I have to tell you what happened to me last night. I'm 90 years old, and I made love to two 18-year-old women for eight hours! The stern priest replies, "That is a sin. I will have to give you a penance." "Father, you can't give me a penance." "Why not?" "Because I'm Jewish." The perplexed Father asks, "Then why are you telling me?" "I'm telling everyone!".)

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 20, 2016

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

blarzgh posted:

Because children who've been helicopter-parented to death grow up believing that 'going to law school' means that one day they'll finally live in their dream world where they'll always be right and never lose an argument because its a magical place where whoever throws the best and loudest and longest temper tantrum always gets what they want. This dream evolves into an adderal-fueled mission as their minds and souls are slowly tainted by the stress and failures encountered along the way.

The constant drudgery, soul-crushing emotional and intellectual labor, red flags, and relentless criticisms are all just 'tests' to them, and if they just answer a few more emails on vacation, they'll finally ascend to the magic land beyond the clouds where all their dreams finally come true, in the land of the lies told by all those who've gone before.

Because of people like this I like to make a game out if seeing how few words I can use and still win. "Angry rant angry rant temper tantrum for 20 minutes" "your honors, pending your questions, the state rests on its brief"

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

ActusRhesus posted:

Because of people like this I like to make a game out if seeing how few words I can use and still win. "Angry rant angry rant temper tantrum for 20 minutes" "your honors, pending your questions, the state rests on its brief"

:nallears:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

"Your honor, I'm the prosecution."
"Oh, right. Defense motion denied."

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

ActusRhesus posted:

I did that in the court of appeals once. That was fun.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

nm posted:

"Your honor, I'm the prosecution."
"Oh, right. Defense motion denied."

heh.

not in this state.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Omerta posted:

One could say on balance, it possible to stay in balance: https://youtu.be/XgSJUzYCGtc

Fun Fact: The woman in the video died in 2009 at the age of 37.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

HiddenReplaced posted:

This is not a fun fact at all!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

HiddenReplaced posted:

While in private practice.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

mikeraskol posted:

This is not a fun fact at all!

Literally no fun was ever involved in the series of events that led to this fact.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
At least she was able to spend a balanced amount of time with her family before she died.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

HiddenReplaced posted:

And 27 weeks pregnant..... :(

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

HiddenReplaced posted:

Likely of an enlarged heart! Which is associated with high blood pressure and stress levels!

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
Edit: Sorry, the internet confuses me.

retpocileh fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 21, 2016

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

retpocileh posted:

Are owners of an S Corp subject to minimum wage/overtime laws in California? I run a business with two people. We have about 20 employees. We want to pay ourselves a minimal salary and have the majority of our pay be in the form of bonuses on each biweekly payroll which get paid out to us based on job performance.

Can we just pay ourselves a salary of $20k/yr base and make the rest of our compensation bonus-based?

If we don't pay ourselves a minimum of $41,600/yr ($10 hr min wage*2, minimum for exempt salaried employees), are we no longer exempt from overtime pay requirements? What about if, after bonus, we are grossing over $41,600, but our base salary is just $20k?

Obviously, this will only matter if one of us decides to sue our own company. I want to make sure that in case one of us gets kicked out, we won't have a legal case to due so on these grounds at least.

I'll get right on this for you.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

I'm $625 an hour btw.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

mikeraskol posted:

I'm $625 an hour btw.

Okay, once you tell me if I can pay myself $10/hr I'll tell you how many hours you're going to need to wait for me to pay you.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

He's making a crack at you. This isn't really the thread for those types of questions. I think there's a legal questions thread in ask/tell that would be a better place to ask.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

also you can afford to not be a cheapass and go see an actual attorney about this. just look up an employment law person in the area you're in. You might also be able to just ask california's department of labor directly.

Regardless you're not going to get an answer that you want from this thread.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

He's making a crack at you. This isn't really the thread for those types of questions. I think there's a legal questions thread in ask/tell that would be a better place to ask.

Oh God drat it. I swear I clicked the link in the OP that specifically pointed to the thread that was actually meant for legal questions. Sorry for being a dumbass.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

But seriously, if you're pulling in enough to have 20 employees and two executives you're pulling in enough that you should hire an actual attorney.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr. Nice! posted:

But seriously, if you're pulling in enough to have 20 employees and two executives you're pulling in enough that you should hire an actual attorney.

Not if the executives are apparently unpaid!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also quit trying to cheat taxes.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah, we'll probably be contacting an attorney soon.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also quit trying to cheat taxes.

We'd be trying to cheat taxes if we planned to pay ourselves primarily through dividends to avoid payroll tax. Paying ourselves primarily through bonuses does not help us avoid any taxes. We plan for less than 20% of our annual pay to be composed of dividends.

Edit: To give a little more insight into why we're trying to do this. One of our business partners is a lazy horrible piece of poo poo. We are waiting for the right time to kick him out, hopefully in the coming months. In the meantime we can't trust him to do anything if we don't have a pay structure that explicitly rewards productivity and punishes being a lazy horrible piece of poo poo.

retpocileh fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

retpocileh posted:

Yeah, we'll probably be contacting an attorney soon.

We'd be trying to cheat taxes if we planned to pay ourselves primarily through dividends to avoid payroll tax. Paying ourselves primarily through bonuses does not help us avoid any taxes. We plan for less than 20% of our annual pay to be composed of dividends.

Edit: To give a little more insight into why we're trying to do this. One of our business partners is a lazy horrible piece of poo poo. We are waiting for the right time to kick him out, hopefully in the coming months. In the meantime we can't trust him to do anything if we don't have a pay structure that explicitly rewards productivity and punishes being a lazy horrible piece of poo poo.

Horrible pieces of poo poo are exactly the kind of people who bring lawsuits, so if you want to insulate yourself you should definitely hire an attorney.