Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

As a Millennial I posted:

I'm not saying their complaints are legitimate. Just that pointing and laughing, or calling for them to be replaced by factory farms, isn't helping their persecution complex.

who cares, they're going to have a persecution complex anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

I'm not saying their complaints are legitimate. Just that pointing and laughing, or calling for them to be replaced by factory farms, isn't helping their persecution complex.

Only enforced medication/trepanation would help. Let us have a little fun.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

MariusLecter posted:

I guess he never solved the problem of his magazine not fitting the other guys rifles despite taking the same bullets.

There's a sex joke here somewhere, but I can't quite get the pieces together. Lube reference? I'll work on it.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

What's happening now? Who is still there?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Crain posted:

Well nothing really helps a persecution complex.

evilweasel posted:

who cares, they're going to have a persecution complex anyway

Spun Dog posted:

Only enforced medication/trepanation would help. Let us have a little fun.
Increase BLM funding so that they can't complain about their needs not being addressed. Some of the more rational complaints have been that the BLM is just too slow in approving leases or lax in managing the land. I'm not saying we should forgive outstanding debts or start giving land away for free, but people on both sides seem to agree that there could be better cooperation between the two.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

I also thought Cliven didn't actually own the land his cattle grazed on. Isn't that the whole point?

From what I understand, Cliven Bundy may be a millionaire in assets, but he is heavily leveraged and has a high debt/income ratio.

He has more cattle than his plot of land can support, so he signed an agreement with the BLM for grazing rights on their land in addition. The agreement attached to his property so that if he were to sell and move, the agreement transfers to the new owner, similar to a Home Owner's Association contract. Also like a HOA agreement if he decides not to pay they can put a lien against his property, which they can then try to enact legal repercussions if he still doesn't pay. This is pretty much what started the original Bundy Standoff.

Cliven probably doesn't have the liquid assets to get Ryan a lawyer and thus he gets a public defender. Cliven also cannot just sell his property to pay for any legal defense because he legally would have to pay all the back fees he built up with BLM before he legally could sell, and lol at that.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 28, 2016

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
These guys kinda remind me of Caro.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010

egon_beeblebrox posted:

What's happening now? Who is still there?

Just some people camping out.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

SlipUp posted:

These guys kinda remind me of Caro.

Caro is Legend.

e; :rip:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Knight posted:

Santilli's radical change in attitude once arrests started happening really left an impression on me on how these men are absolute cowards who are dangerous when they believe they have a huge advantage. He went from stomping around blasting megaphones in peoples' ears and mocking the tears of old women to submissive and humble in a few hours. It was very good that law enforcement came down on them, because they were becoming increasingly emboldened by the lack of resistance.

When Santilli called that highschool freshman girl a prostitute because she cried at the community meeting over her and her friends being scared, I pretty much wrote him off completely to whatever fate gets delivered to him.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

KittyEmpress posted:

Every single rancher I've ever heard of has been a poo poo person, who either uses child labor, refuses to pay taxes, illegally uses other people's land, or a mix of all of these, always indignantly.

I don't eat vegetarian because I think these people are bad, but I certainly am happy that their losses are happening, and do not affect me.

I've known several, both cattle ranchers and horse ranchers and there is a huge number of them that are good people that are successful at owning a business, even if they are almost always hard-core republicans and have fairly racist views from having to never interact with minorities outside of hiring day laborers.

You never hearing of decent ranchers is like ranchers never hearing about decent animal rights activists because all they know about them is PETA.

e: At no point am I saying that Cliven is a good rancher, father, or human being.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 28, 2016

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Increase BLM funding so that they can't complain about their needs not being addressed. Some of the more rational complaints have been that the BLM is just too slow in approving leases or lax in managing the land.
Oh yeah. Totally for that. But complaints like what comes out of bundyland aren't rational and increasing BLM funding actively goes against their wishes. The ones who want the system to work better aren't the issue. It's the ones like Bundy who want the west to go back to a free for all.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I'm beginning to wonder if Pete is mostly a character he puts on to sell merchandise or ad space or whatever

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Somebody should cut a 13 Hours-esque trailer with all these videos.

"We begged for help, BUT IT NEVER CAME! :911: "

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

And you all wonder why these guys feel oppressed and bitter enough to try and revolt.

Maybe true, but I would be willing to bet that Cliven's opinions on how much we should care about other people's feelings are as nuanced as his feeling about the negro.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Increase BLM funding so that they can't complain about their needs not being addressed. Some of the more rational complaints have been that the BLM is just too slow in approving leases or lax in managing the land. I'm not saying we should forgive outstanding debts or start giving land away for free, but people on both sides seem to agree that there could be better cooperation between the two.

OK, I'll do that right after this post.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

red19fire posted:

What a surprise, the guy who was openly calling for the murder of police yesterday changes his tune to 'come on guys, we're just camping, this isn't fair! :qq:

Reached the bargaining stage. Just what, depression and acceptance to go?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Crain posted:

Oh yeah. Totally for that. But complaints like what comes out of bundyland aren't rational and increasing BLM funding actively goes against their wishes. The ones who want the system to work better aren't the issue. It's the ones like Bundy who want the west to go back to a free for all.
All the more reason to do it. Prove the Bundys wrong and we might prevent others from radicalizing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

I hope Cliven goes to bed every night fearful that the Feds are going to come back for him, because they should. He should be taken in to custody and his ranch seized. IDGAF how crazy a bunch of right wing assholes go when it happens. Seize it and auction it off to pay his debts.

usbombshell posted:

Was Pete Santilli the same guy who had the call-in livestream during that failed Million Man March on Washington a few years back? Not the actual Million Man March of course, some Tea Party (?) thing where like a handful of morons walked around town with Gadsden Flags while kids on field trips gawked at them and some guy in a trailer somewhere chain smoked and narrated? Does anyone know what I am talking about?

There's been several of these, including the one being planned(?) that recently had one of its leaders shot by another because the guy was drunk and took his friend's gun, and said friend had a backup.

HMS Beagle posted:

Wow I've never met a self righteous vegetarian before.

Being holier than thou is pretty much a requirement for vegetarians. It's better when one preaches "right with nature" poo poo at you while ignoring that humans are very clearly omnivores by nature and forcing oneself to be an herbivore is very much not "right with nature" at all.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

meristem posted:

They're gonna go pretty emotionless and dead eyed. Then comes the suicide pacts.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

A Winner is Jew posted:

I've known several, both cattle ranchers and horse ranchers and there is a huge number of them that are good people that are successful at owning a business, even if they are almost always hard-core republicans and have fairly racist views from having to never interact with minorities outside of hiring day laborers.

You never hearing of decent ranchers is like ranchers never hearing about decent animal rights activists because all they know about them is PETA.

loving lol. They're great people except that they're racist and have terrible views on everything!

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Evil Fluffy posted:

Being holier than thou is pretty much a requirement for vegetarians. It's better when one preaches "right with nature" poo poo at you while ignoring that humans are very clearly omnivores by nature and forcing oneself to be an herbivore is very much not "right with nature" at all.

I'm a vegetarian too, not all are like that. It's just when they are it stands out in people's memory more.

The nature argument is always stupid. Who cares what's natural? The natural way for humans to eat meat is to literally chase an animal in the kalahari desert for hours until one of them dies from heat exhaustion.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Looking at the videos... man there's a lot of poo poo on the ground. I wonder how loving messy they've left that place.

The guy pleading after the dance is hilarious / pathetic. "We're just camping", really?

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, if you listen to the conservation the cops are trying to get some information out of Pete about how many people are at the refuge and who is a real threat. Pete doesn't give them anything and they arrest him.

It seems weird to criticize the cops for taking 3 whole minutes to arrest a guy. That time could have been spent with someone saying "Wait, don't we have a warrant for that guy? Look that up." Or it could have been spent saying "Do you think the guys in the truck will freak out like that other guy?" 3 minutes isn't really a long time to just do your due diligence.
What's really interesting is to watch the people that Pete isn't talking to. The amount of stuff that goes on, communication via glances etc. is phenomenal. I had to go back and rewatch it to figure out where the extra guys came from when he was actually arrested, because they'd just wafted into position. It's like watching the famous awareness test.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

I'm beginning to wonder if Pete is mostly a character he puts on to sell merchandise or ad space or whatever

I wouldn't be surprised. A lot of right-wing shitbags (like Glenn Beck) are like that.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Evil Fluffy posted:

Lots of people are vegetarians for health reasons, I've met a good number of decent ones.

Vegans, however

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

DrNutt posted:

loving lol. They're great people except that they're racist and have terrible views on everything!

Talk radio is a hell of a drug, and that's mostly what's being broadcast where they live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh3TeTxgNVo

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

androo posted:

Looking at the videos... man there's a lot of poo poo on the ground. I wonder how loving messy they've left that place.

The guy pleading after the dance is hilarious / pathetic. "We're just camping", really?

Reminder: Same guy with his m14 held across his big belly talking tactical poo poo as an incompetent excavator operator makes their battlements.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

MariusLecter posted:

I guess he never solved the problem of his magazine not fitting the other guys rifles despite taking the same bullets.

Cower in fear, traitors. This is real America.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

theflyingorc posted:

I thought this, briefly, when I was 15.

The problem is that these people don't recognize what life would be like WITHOUT a government - they assume the world they were born into is the default state, and so they don't recognize how much of the good stuff in their life is the result of having a government.

In reality, if you had the option of "government or not", with an understanding of all that entails, you'd choose government every single time. Even authoritarian regimes are better than lawless societies.

Well they also think they'd be on the top in a lawless society, and be able to impose their own law upon everyone else, instead of the first to be backstabbed and murdered for their resources.

CrazyLittle posted:

This probably doesn't apply to Ammon or Randy though. Finnicum definitely was a millionaire.

Yet paying $1000 per year to use resources that weren't his was apparently the breaking point

Actually, the breaking point was that Cliven Bundy got off scott free after all that bullshit and it directly emboldened guys like Finnicum. He paid his grazing fees up until the point he went out to stand by Cliven Bundy and his bullshit and then realized "hey this guy got away with not paying his fees and gently caress the government" so he came back and embarked on the same path.

CrazyLittle posted:

Cliven Bundy owns land in addition to owning transferrable grazing rights on BLM land that he refuses to pay for.

Asset-rich / cash-poor is no excuse.

A lot of these people live in areas where the land is actually pretty crap for grazing cattle (plus cattle need a lot of land to graze) so it's next to impossible to own enough of it yourself. That's probably part of their issues with the government, but on the other hand they're trying to make a living out of something that isnt' particularly profitable in an area that's not that great for it and I'd bet quite a bit that if you gave them the chance to buy the land for an appropriate price they'd balk at the cost of it. They want something for nothing is basically it (and probably feel like it's already their land so why should they have to buy it or pay fees on it?)

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Perfectly Safe posted:

What's really interesting is to watch the people that Pete isn't talking to. The amount of stuff that goes on, communication via glances etc. is phenomenal. I had to go back and rewatch it to figure out where the extra guys came from when he was actually arrested, because they'd just wafted into position. It's like watching the famous awareness test.

Top comment:

quote:

that was the worst moonwalk I have ever seen!

First thing that came to mind.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

theflyingorc posted:

I thought this, briefly, when I was 15.

The problem is that these people don't recognize what life would be like WITHOUT a government - they assume the world they were born into is the default state, and so they don't recognize how much of the good stuff in their life is the result of having a government.

In reality, if you had the option of "government or not", with an understanding of all that entails, you'd choose government every single time. Even authoritarian regimes are better than lawless societies.

I really would love for these people to get their wish. Sure, there you go, you no longer are a part of the system you didn't voluntarily opt into. So no use of any public services or protections. No roads, no utilities, no police, no courts. Someone steals your stuff, assaults you, kills you? Oh well. You didn't consent to have a relationship with the legal system. Not our problem. For all the BS they think they know about English common law and so on, they don't seem to get that they're trying to outlaw themselves.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Kazak_Hstan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnMP7OsqWq8

:laffo:

All of it really, but especially starting at 4:00

They indicate that they are being observed by someone from a nearby hill. Oh to be a fly on the wall and hear that agent explain the sad scene playing out in the camp. Sappy country music blaring from a pickup truck stereo while a camo wearing fat neckbeard and his pregnant wife slowdance amongst half organized piles of trash and assault rifles.

This video is just such a perfect encapsulation of the entire patriot movement. It's beautiful in a very human sort of way.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 28, 2016

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

A Winner is Jew posted:

e: At no point am I saying that Cliven is a good rancher, father, or human being.

I wish no death upon ranchers who obey the law and do not go out of their way to literally hurt people. I do think that the culture of rural people is horrid [mostly the before mentioned racism]. I do think that those who do break the law because they feel their business is not supported enough and they can't manage to survive without breaking the law [such as Cliven] deserve to be ridiculed, and their ranch lands sold to those who can properly run a ranch without needing to advise literal slavery or child labor or whatever else.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
What I don't get about the Sovereign Citizens and such, is why we aren't just treating them as if they're mentally ill. I mean, they are incredibly delusional - to the point where they can't understand the real world anymore and are a danger to themselves and others since they don't think laws matter. Like that guy in the "Sovereign Citizens getting owned" video who just drove off from the cop during the traffic stop. What if he had been drunk or something?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

Reminder: Same guy with his m14 held across his big belly talking tactical poo poo as an incompetent excavator operator makes their battlements.

He also pointed at some rock and said that would be their fallback position, 400 yards away. I don't think he realizes he would die of cardiac arrest if he tried to run-shuffle 400 yards long before the federal bullets got to him.

meristem posted:

I really hope someone is downloading these videos and making before & after compilations of them going from brazen lunatic to whimpering coward.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Prester Jane posted:

They indicate that they are being observed by someone from a nearby hill. Oh to be a fly on the wall and hear that agent explain the sad scene playing out in the camp. Sappy country music blaring from a pickup truck stereo while a. Among wearing fat neck neckbeard and his pregnant wife slowdance amongst half organized pikes of trash and assault rifles.

This video is just such a perfect encapsulation of the entire patriot movement. It's beautiful in a very human sort of way.

Reminder: These are the kind of people stopping government tyranny! Government should fear the people! Buy AR-15s!

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

SquadronROE posted:

What I don't get about the Sovereign Citizens and such, is why we aren't just treating them as if they're mentally ill. I mean, they are incredibly delusional - to the point where they can't understand the real world anymore and are a danger to themselves and others since they don't think laws matter. Like that guy in the "Sovereign Citizens getting owned" video who just drove off from the cop during the traffic stop. What if he had been drunk or something?

Most of them think that there can only be a crime if there is an injured party. Are you driving drunk, but nobody is hurt? No crime has been committed then.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

SlipUp posted:

Most of them think that there can only be a crime if there is an injured party. Are you driving drunk, but nobody is hurt? No crime has been committed then.

I get their reasoning, I just don't see why law enforcement doesn't check them into a mental institution involuntarily since they are a threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

SquadronROE posted:

What I don't get about the Sovereign Citizens and such, is why we aren't just treating them as if they're mentally ill.

What do you think that would entail, though? Not guilty verdicts by reason of insanity? Court-ordered psychiatric care?

• Locked thread