Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Got hit by a bolt of motivation and marathon painted the Harry the Hat I bought earlier.

Wasn't exactly sure how to paint the molotovs on his belt, but I'm pretty happy with how he turned out. Now, to go collapse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Spent the weekend finishing up some Chimeras. 6 to go.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Really nice weathering on those Chimerae.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I really like your steel legion, makes me want to buy a million tanks.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Those Chimeras are ace, super nice job.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Thanks!

8 or something to go.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

My own meagre offerings to the thread, since it's been a fair while

NTRabbit posted:

OATH COMPLETE

:tutbutt:

I appreciate the bonus contest this month, but since I've already got the Counterblast rules and a box of Counterblast minis, I decided I should leave it to others :yayclod:

NTRabbit posted:

Ogres are cool and good, and so are their pets

Everything "done" so far, a regiment each of boomers and shooters, and a 2H Warrior horde that still need the grass on their bases, plus two more ASBs that need a fair bit more work. Then I need to invent an emblem to put on the standards.

I'm wearing a red shirt, I think maybe there's some reflection messing with the colour balance in the first one there

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Progress

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Holy poo poo I actually finished this unit

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

crime fighting hog posted:

Holy poo poo I actually finished this unit

That blue is :krad:, I love these guys.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
These are awesome, and I totally am going to use them as inspiration for my Steel Legion...

Look on Ebay. They're a new seller, but they seem to have a B&M in New Hampshire.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

The Sisko posted:

I guess since were all posting cool models Ill post my BAC Word Bearer Contemptor who's about 95% done with a few mini details to wrap up.

X-Post from 30K thread. Quick question. How do you guys take the sheen off transfers? My guts says gloss coat over the whole transfer and then it hit with matt/satin varnish.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Sisko posted:

X-Post from 30K thread. Quick question. How do you guys take the sheen off transfers? My guts says gloss coat over the whole transfer and then it hit with matt/satin varnish.

I do that after I hit the transfer up with Micro-Sol to get it on in the first place.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

SRM posted:

I do that after I hit the transfer up with Micro-Sol to get it on in the first place.

Thanks for the feedback SRM. I already hit both the transfers on the neck and shoulders with Micro-Sol (Thanks to Bulbasuar). I'll probably give them another light coat to make sure they are sitting flush and then hit them with varnishes.

On a completely unrelated note, SRM your a goddamn inspiration and I love the mutoid mek you posted earlier.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
This page is so beautiful so far, I'm almost afraid to crosspost my stuff from the Oath Thread. ...Almost.

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Album link is here.

Bonus: Here's the thing that distracted me from painting the boat model for a week. (You can tell it's a Bones model, 'cos there's still mold lines a-plenty on it.)

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

You've nothing to worry about, that boat looks awesome! Where did you get it from? I'm tempted to do one myself for when our FG group does the Frozen River.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Woah, these look great, but I thought those lightning bolts were supposed to be the fast-attack icons.

Like this:

It probably does not matter, and maybe I am super wrong and those are a specific symbol for the legion.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Next in my attempt to paint non-gw models

Painted like my older stuff thanks to the fact I found an old can of white primer. I bust the base when I slotted him in so I need a new one before basing.

EDIT: Looks less oil painting like from a distance (but the colours look less accurate, I really need a lightbox or something):

richyp fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 2, 2016

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Woah, these look great, but I thought those lightning bolts were supposed to be the fast-attack icons.

Like this:

It probably does not matter, and maybe I am super wrong and those are a specific symbol for the legion.

The symbol was originally a Army Badge that GW used on IG tanks (and some of the Space Marine figs iirc) to denote which campaign the vehicle was currently been deployed to. The fluff was that all Imperial forces would share the same badge, and once the campaign was over they'd work it into honourifics and heraldry etc. if they'd done especially well.

Sadly I don't think they're in the fluff any more. GW recycled a bunch of their old symbols when producing the icons for Force Org charts etc. (like the SM Tactical symbol being used for Troops).
:goonsay:

Incidentally I use an Army Badges on my Salamanders, it's the quartered blue/yellow/black circle:

This was part of a project at my local club where a bunch of people would each start a small army of different chapters/legions and we'd link it all together with the same army badge. Unfortunately it petered out and I'm the only one who ever painted a whole army :(

richyp posted:

Painted like my older stuff thanks to the fact I found an old can of white primer. I bust the base when I slotted him in so I need a new one before basing.

This guy's looking awesome so far, the extreme highlighting works well.

Zark the Damned fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 2, 2016

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Like this:

The Steel Legion logo is the lightning bolt in the circle, but Yeast's are upside down?

As an unrelated airbrush thing, I used Matte Golden Eagle airbrush medium, and it is anything but matte. I sprayed 30 models last night and they all have a glossy base coat now. I'm a little pissed. I mixed up some of Les Bursley's airbrush medium, and did an overspray on one model, and that seems to have reduced the shine though. This is my first experience using a medium like that, as I always did an alcohol mix in the past - this new technique did not make me a fan.

Also, what's a good size for beads to agitate Vallejo paint bottles? The ones I picked up are a perfect size to fit into the neck of the bottle and get in the way of paint.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Nice Sogarat!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

richyp posted:

EDIT: Looks less oil painting like from a distance (but the colours look less accurate, I really need a lightbox or something):

I held my phone out at arms length and yeah it works a lot better at distance, really pops.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Zark the Damned posted:

You've nothing to worry about, that boat looks awesome! Where did you get it from? I'm tempted to do one myself for when our FG group does the Frozen River.

Thanks! The boat itself is a Revell kit, the Caribbean Pirate Ship, 1:72 scale. Not sure I can recommend that kit, unfortunately; it's apparently a 2011 reboxing of a kit from 1989, but the modern version had massive problems with excess flash and circular mold lines (from intake gates, I think?) on flat surfaces, including a detailed portion of the deck and the back of the sail, fercryinoutloud. I'm embarrassed at how many mold lines I just couldn't remove from this thing; most of those rings are currently sitting under piles of snow paste, but the sails are kind of a lost cause and I'll probably just have to cake on some ice effects later. (I realized after submitting my "final" Oath pictures that I'd completely forgotten to put icicles on it. :ssh: )

The base is a scratch build, made from InstaMorph thermoplastic and chunks of craft-store frosted sea glass, dusted with Woodland Scenics soft flake snow. It's hard to tell from the pic, but I've layered some dark blue glass in the middle of the base, with a lighter blue layer under some of the white, just to give the ice a little more depth.

e: And the Battle on the River scenario is exactly what I had in mind when I put this model together, so feel free to steal the design! (Of course, I still need to get a Frostgrave group together. Also terrain for normal scenarios. Also about four dozen more miniatures :gonk:)

e2: Richyp, that little guy looks great! The white highlights really set off a nice glinting effect to the armor.

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 2, 2016

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

richyp posted:

I dig that look and i think it works very well close up.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Oh yeah I didn't mean that in a "looks poo poo up close m8" just that it really shines at normal viewing distance where the extreme highlights shine.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Weirdly the close up's in the camera make the paintjobs look almost as if they were painted in 2d on paper.

I just finished painting a Zerat and the same effect occurs. (Ah well at least it shows the highlights :) )

Here's the "actual" size (or at least on my monitor)

And the close up "2d" version:

Having a blast painting these guys though, they're some really nice and different models than what I'm used to painting.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm still way too intimidated to start painting my Infinity, they're too easy to strip so I'm too likely to reset every time I don't like the way it ends up turning out.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Really enjoying those CA figures. The close-ups look like an oil paint filter in Photoshop and they look great. I bet they look killer in person with that technique.

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO

richyp posted:

I really like this high contrast style. Very nice work.
It makes me want to change up my technique on my Haqqislam.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

richyp posted:

I like this look a lot and wish to know more.

Can anyone recommend a decent pin vise. I have one now but it's small and difficult to tighten well. Something larger and with a chuck would be nice. I've tried this one twice and it's poo poo.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

I've been using something like this for about 20 years.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/zon/zon37-140.htm

I think that a pin vise with a chuck would be best but I really haven't encountered many bits that this thing couldn't hold onto.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Progress

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
The muscles are starting to come together. Are you going to shade the metal similarly?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

The muscles are starting to come together. Are you going to shade the metal similarly?

I'd love to but I have no idea how I would do that

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

signalnoise posted:

I'd love to but I have no idea how I would do that

The easiest and most straightforward manner is just giving the metal a black wash and either line highlighting the edges with silver, or doing a light drybrush along the edges with silver.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Like this:

You're half right actually!

I think that was the idea originally to use the fast attack icon, and I thought it was upside down too, but all the GW released stuff is upside down: (and red?)

So I did it they way they did it, even though it takes a bit to get used to.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Upside down it's a stylized S. It does have the unfortunate effect of looking more like a sigrune, though.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
God damnit, now I'm having thoughts of tearing them off and doing the OG style somehow.

Space Hams :argh:

Edit: I wonder how hard it would be to create this as a transfer:

Yeast fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Feb 3, 2016

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Could always paint over the red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Screw the haters I love your tanks AND that logo. poo poo is ace dude.