Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

My wife and I stumbled onto Rounders (the poker movie with Matt Damon and Edward Norton) on Netflix last night. It's pretty formulaic but Norton and especially John Malkovich are great in it; I had forgotten the latter was even in it since I hadn't seen the movie since college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's a very well-executed movie, and that's worth something even if the script is a little stale.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I watched this the other day but I really didn't care too much for it. It had some allright ideas but I felt like they tried to cover way too much ground in an hour and a half and the low budget really shows in the production.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Blue is the Warmest Color leaves Netflix streaming in a few days so I watched it. It's male gazey as gently caress, especially when it comes to its ideas bout how women have sex with each other, and the director clearly thinks he's making a different movie than the one he made, but if you can live with that it's a really good romance movie.

It was my favorite movie of 2014, loving phenomenal acting and story, but the director is a super creep. Read a lot of weird stories about him setting up the romance scenes. Totally worth investing 3 hours in, though.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

david_a posted:

I watched this yesterday. It was good, sort of an Infernal Affairs crossed with the Godfather. Although I have to say that gang warfare in countries with strict gun laws is weird.

I liked the flashback at the very end when you find out the undercover cop had absolutely no qualms about walking into a restaurant full of armed thugs and murdering them and if anyone had been paying closer attention to him they'd realize he's the last person they'd ever want to gently caress with

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Filthy Hans posted:

I liked the flashback at the very end when you find out the undercover cop had absolutely no qualms about walking into a restaurant full of armed thugs and murdering them and if anyone had been paying closer attention to him they'd realize he's the last person they'd ever want to gently caress with

Yeah. Dude owned. I like to think of it as the bizarre alternate universe version of The Departed.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
In the same vein there's another good Korean action movie on Netflix called The Suspect about a North Korean assassin who defects to the South to find his family's killer. There's a basic "guns or butter" subplot but it's not really as much of a focus as "holy poo poo this dude's fired about 800 rounds and hasn't reloaded yet"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

In the same vein there's another good Korean action movie on Netflix called The Suspect about a North Korean assassin who defects to the South to find his family's killer. There's a basic "guns or butter" subplot but it's not really as much of a focus as "holy poo poo this dude's fired about 800 rounds and hasn't reloaded yet"

That one was pretty fun too

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Blue is the Warmest Color leaves Netflix streaming in a few days so I watched it. It's male gazey as gently caress, especially when it comes to its ideas bout how women have sex with each other, and the director clearly thinks he's making a different movie than the one he made, but if you can live with that it's a really good romance movie.

Have you read/how did you feel about the comic?

On the other hand, Stakeland is awful.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~

That Works posted:

Man from Nowhere owned. Watch New World if you liked that and hard boiled. So loving good I must recommend it here every other post

Love these kinds of movies. I would recommend Outrage and Beyond Outrage for a Japanese flavor. Also, Takeshi Kitano is still a badass as an old man.

I was thinking of giving The Killer a go, can anyone say if it is like Hard Boiled?

dongsweep fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 22, 2016

Thermite
Aug 16, 2006

Huzzah!

dongsweep posted:

Love these kinds of movies. I would recommend Outrage and Beyond Outrage for a Japanese flavor. Also, Takeshi Kitano is still a badass as an old man.

I was thinking of giving The Killer a go, can anyone say if it is like Hard Boiled?

Amazing action but kinda depressing/overwrought. Definitely worth watching if you enjoyed hard boiled.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

DeimosRising posted:

Have you read/how did you feel about the comic?
Nope, never read it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

dongsweep posted:

Close enough. Definitely watch it to see Chow Yun Fat looking suave in a tux and murdering people

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Has any one watched Love yet? I'm three episodes in and I really like it. I feel like they really did a good job with Paul rust's character. He is a goober, but he isn't totally hopeless.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I watched the first episode and pretty much hated it

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I like it, though it is very Apatow-ish in that everyone's life is poo poo.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Slandible posted:

I like it, though it is very Apatow-ish in that everyone's life is poo poo.

I'm totally fine with that.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

The_Rob posted:

Has any one watched Love yet? I'm three episodes in and I really like it. I feel like they really did a good job with Paul rust's character. He is a goober, but he isn't totally hopeless.

I watched the first two episodes and I like it. It sticks with the Apatow style, and some of the character arcs are more favorable towards guys (Rusty gets offered a three way, but Gilly gets hosed by a coke head. Um?).

Nonetheless, I appreciate the humor, Rusty and Gilly play great characters and I love their dynamic. Plus Seth Morris and Brett Gelman get supporting roles? Awesome. It's also more human and darker than I expected, both of which I enjoy. I'll be watching the rest soon enough.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Franchescanado posted:

I watched the first two episodes and I like it. It sticks with the Apatow style, and some of the character arcs are more favorable towards guys (Rusty gets offered a three way, but Gilly gets hosed by a coke head. Um?).

Nonetheless, I appreciate the humor, Rusty and Gilly play great characters and I love their dynamic. Plus Seth Morris and Brett Gelman get supporting roles? Awesome. It's also more human and darker than I expected, both of which I enjoy. I'll be watching the rest soon enough.

Yeah but the coke head was kyle kinane so gilly is the real winner there.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The_Rob posted:

I like it. Watched the first 4 episodes last night. It reminds me of Girls only I don't hate all of the characters.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Love is awesome.

It's 5am, I should be asleep.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Yeah I stayed up late watching it. I think I'm on episode 8 already? This show is great.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

The recent criticisms of Bone Tomahawk made me finally watch it and although I agree with some of the critisisms (it was at least 15-20 minutes too long), I still liked it. Absolutely worth watching.
It was pretty forgettable and at one point I realized it's just The Hills Have Eyes or Texas Chainsaw Massacre but with cowboys and indians. I'm glad I watched it but I can't remember that much about it. It's sure no Burrowers or The Descent, though, imho.

nate fisher posted:

Slow West was my favorite western of last year.
Have you gotten to Diablo, The Revenent, or Hateful Eight yet? I really enjoyed Diablo, and the Revenent was good too.

GreyPowerVan posted:

What are some gems you guys have seen on Netflix that most people haven't watched? Like Babadook but doesn't have to be horror.
Grabbers is probably the biggest gem I'd never heard of.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 23, 2016

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

morestuff posted:

I watched the first episode and pretty much hated it

I didn't make it through the first episode, but I think I'm gonna give it another shot since I love almost everyone that is in it. I just couldn't get past the Apatowity.

I will second the Grabbers recommendation. It's like Irish Slither.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Netflix March

MARCH 1:
Adult Beginners (2015)
Ahora o Nunca (2015)
Aldnoah.Zero, Season 2
American Pie Presents: Beta House (2007)
American Pie Presents: The Naked Mile (2006)
Before We Go (2015)
Blue Mountain State: The Rise of Thadland (2016)
El Desconocido (2015)
Fresh Meat, Season 2
Frog Kingdom (2013)
Good Burger (1997)
Groundhog Day (1993)
Heaven Knows What (2015)
Hot Sugar's Cold World (2015)
Midsomer Murders, season 17
Narcopolis (2015)
Road Trip: Beer Pong (2009)
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991)
Scarface (1983)
Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
The Young Kieslowski (2014)

MARCH 2:
For Grace (2015)

MARCH 4:
House of Cards, season 4 (2016)
Lab Rats, season 4
Lego Friends: The Power of Friendship (2016)
Lego: Bionicle: The Journey to One: Season 1 (2016)
Louie, season 5

MARCH 7:
Cuckoo, seasons 1 and 2
Halo: The Fall of Reach
Sin Filtro (2016)

MARCH 8:
Digimon Fusion, season 2

MARCH 9:
The Returned, season 1

MARCH 10:
Comedy Bang! Bang!, season 4, part 3
Hateship Loveship (2013)

MARCH 11:
Dinotrux, season 2
Flaked, season 1
Netflix Presents: The Characters, season 1
Popples, season 2

MARCH 12:
Shelter (2015)

MARCH 15:
10,000 Saints (2015)
4GOT10 (2015)
The Falling (2015)
Final Girl (2015)
Finders Keepers (2015)
Power Rangers Dino Charge, season 1, part 2
War Pigs (2015)

MARCH 16:
Are You Here (2014)
Charlie St. Cloud (2010)
Gridiron Gang (2006)
Happy Valley, season 2
Larry Crowne (2011)
Promised Land (2012)

MARCH 18:
He Never Died (2015)
Jimmy Carr: Funny Business (2016)
Marvel's Daredevil, season 2
The Mr. Peabody and Sherman Show, season 2
My Beautiful Broken Brain (2016)
Pee-wee's Big Holiday (2016)

MARCH 22:
The Art of Organized Noize (2016)
The Ouija Experiment 2: Theatre of Death (2015)

MARCH 24:
The Forbidden Kingdom (2008)
A Promise (2013)

MARCH 25:
Trailer Park Boys, season 10

MARCH 31:
Bachelor Party 2: The Last Temptation (2007)
Fright Night 2 (2013)
Murder Rap: Inside the Biggie and Tupac Murders (2015)
Sunshine Superman (2015)
Yu-Gi-Oh! Bonds Beyond Time (2011)
Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal, seasons 1 and 2

LEAVING:
MARCH 1:
Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet the Wolfman (2000)
American Pie (1999)
American Wedding (2003)
Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001)
The Babysitters (2007)
The Chosen One (2010)
Down and Out in Beverly Hills (1986)
Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights (1992)
Gone in 60 Seconds (2000)
Hackers (1985)
Hamlet (1990)
Hannie Caulder (1971)
Hardball (2001)
Hart's War (2002)
Hitch (2005)
Indecent Proposal (1993)
Johnny Dangerously (1984)
Jumanji (1995)
Masters of the Universe (1987)
Men in Black II (2002)
The Monster Squad (1987)
Not Another Teen Movie (2001)
Paycheck (2003)
Switchmas (2013)
The United States of Leland (2003)
Wings (1927)

MARCH 2:
Stevie Nicks: In Your Dreams (2013)

MARCH 3:
Night Catches Us (2010)

MARCH 4:
Getting Go: The Go Doc Project (2013)
Private Romeo (2011)

MARCH 5:
I Am Divine (2013)

MARCH 6:
Le Week-End (2013)
Refuge (2012)

MARCH 7:
Deadfall (2012)

MARCH 8:
Holidaze (2013)

MARCH 9:
Arn: The Knight Templar (2007)
The Mistle-tones! (2012)

MARCH 11:
Geography Club (2013)

MARCH 15:
I Killed My Mother (2009)
Lola & Virginia, season 1
Waste Land (2010)

MARCH 17:
Elegy (2008)

MARCH 18:
Cosmopolis (2012)
Music for Mandela (2013)
Out in the Dark (2012)
Side Effects (2013)

MARCH 23:
Keep the Lights On (2012)

MARCH 26:
The Comedy (2012)

MARCH 28:
Gayby (2012)

MARCH 31:
Dr. Dolittle 3 (2006)
Garfield's Pet Force (2009)
The Sandlot 2 (2005)
Twelve Mile Road (2003)
Women Who Kill (2012)
The Writers' Room, season 1

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
House of Cards and Daredevil just snuck up on me, huh.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Yay, more Trailer Park Boys! Almost forgot about that show, although I seem to recall S9 being worse than the surprisingly good S8.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just finished Love and thought it was great.

Are they like, planning another season though? I don't know where they would go from here with it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

david_a posted:

Yay, more Trailer Park Boys! Almost forgot about that show, although I seem to recall S9 being worse than the surprisingly good S8.

I loved both 8 and 9, but I'm kinda glad they took a longer break between 9 and 10, because 9 did kind of feel a little rushed.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That list of things coming to/leaving streaming omits Mandingo which is only available until March 1st.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
Gotta say I'm three eps into Love and really enjoying it! Was only going to watch one...

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

NESguerilla posted:

I just finished Love and thought it was great.

Are they like, planning another season though? I don't know where they would go from here with it.

It was approved for a second season, like, day 1 of launch.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Wow lots of good poo poo next month.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Just got an email about 12 Monkeys on Hulu. Being a Syfy show, I'm guessing it falls between mediocre and horrible. Anyone watched it?

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

Just got an email about 12 Monkeys on Hulu. Being a Syfy show, I'm guessing it falls between mediocre and horrible. Anyone watched it?

Disclaimer: I love time travel stuff.

I think it's actually pretty good. Syfy has had some pretty decent stuff lately. I've been impressed.

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:

Jose Oquendo posted:

Wow lots of good poo poo next month.

What specifically are you looking forward to? There's a lot of stuff I'm not familiar with but it overall looks pretty dire. Except Heaven Knows What, everyone needs to watch that as soon as it goes up. It's incredible.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

dreadnought posted:

What specifically are you looking forward to? There's a lot of stuff I'm not familiar with but it overall looks pretty dire. Except Heaven Knows What, everyone needs to watch that as soon as it goes up. It's incredible.

House of Cards
Daredevil
Trailer Park Boys
Pee-Wee Herman

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I'm a movie guy, so I've been disappointed with Netflix recently, but its tough to say I'm not getting my money's worth if I'm going to watch House of Cards and Daredevil this month. That's two potentially great seasons of t.v. for less than 10 bucks.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Better Call Saul is so good. I was not expecting it to be so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I'm a movie guy, so I've been disappointed with Netflix recently, but its tough to say I'm not getting my money's worth if I'm going to watch House of Cards and Daredevil this month. That's two potentially great seasons of t.v. for less than 10 bucks.

Same here although I've managed to find movies more often than not still.