Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

babypolis posted:

you can see in another video that the reporter is not shoving him, hes getting up in his face and saying gently caress you. thats what triggered the chokeslam

Xenophon posted:

apparently Secret Service is babbies when they get cursed at
https://twitter.com/JoePerticone/status/704379901420429313
e: I'm guessing photographer wanted to go with protestors, SS guy said "no you can't leave," photographer guy tried to leave anyway, SS guy slammed him down via the throat

you can see it here

i think what looks like a shove in the gif is actually the ss guy being taken aback by the gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
I wanted to take a minute or two to try to add my thoughts on this matter to date, and where I'm at now.

I didn't have much interest in the Republican primary until Trump entered the arena. I was pretty dismayed to see Jeb coasting an easy victory, knowing the same neocon advisors would have yet another shot at power. Trump's vendetta against Jeb changed that, and I've been watching with barely restrained glee as Trump destroyed Jeb with the ruthlessness and thoroughness of an industrial shredder. The collateral damage to the Republican party as a whole has been icing on the cake, too. AM propagandists waging civil war against one another, National Review attacking Trump and getting creamed, and the face-melting awesomeness of conservative pundits being set upon by the very mobs they've spent years delicately tweaking and grooming. Koch darling Walker becoming a very expensive, very fast flameout. Freepers once again turning on one another with the inevitable zottings, but this time with fervor seemingly an order of magnitude greater. Millions, maybe billions of precious donor dollars being summarily flushed into the toilet. I could certainly go on. It would be my great pleasure. And for the first time in a long time, following politics has become a pleasure again.

But to whom do I owe this overwhelming achievement? A man who is certainly no philanthropist, no great thinker. A man who thinks as little of my needs or desires as I do those of the ants scuttling about my bathroom. A man who practically defines the term ego. And I would dare to say, the perfect man for our time. In the age of blatant lies prevailing over self-evident truth, of the proudly ignorant populace who blindly accept falsehood as fact simply because it makes them feel good, he is our P.T. Barnum. An incredibly talented grifter going for the longest con of all.

And the weird thing is, I can't really blame him, or even bear him ill will. He's loving good at this. His timing is perfect, his strategy impeccable. As someone else said, politics has lowered itself to him. There's a perfect storm of poo poo: A lovely media working with lovely, corrupt politicians and lovely, corrupt executives to maintain some kind of hosed up hegemony. Of course people want to burn it to the ground, especially with this lovely economy.

But my glee is starting to fade, and get replaced by something resembling worry. Can this really happen? WILL it really happen? Who loving knows! We can't even guess as to what his actual plans would be if he got elected! I mean, I dig the public works angle, The Wall is a crap Great Work but people will have jobs. Maybe he'll fix some bridges and poo poo too. Or maybe he'll just drop dozens of nukes on Megyn Kelly when she's visiting Dubai. Hilarious as that is to imagine, it might be something he'd actually do!

Maybe it's a little sad, but I still have some hope that this will be some kind of wake-up call for the people that don't pay attention. Maybe somehow, we become a little less corrupt as a species. Adapt better bullshit detectors or something. I'd like to think something positive can come out of this. It's a nice thought. But that's so beautifully naive, it's even a little charming. I know better.

And yeah, we deserve this. As a nation, I mean. Not literally "us people posting here", that's just mean. BTW, I loving loved Deadpool.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Extensive Vamping posted:

I wanted to take a minute or two to try to add my thoughts on this matter to date, and where I'm at now.

I didn't have much interest in the Republican primary until Trump entered the arena. I was pretty dismayed to see Jeb coasting an easy victory, knowing the same neocon advisors would have yet another shot at power. Trump's vendetta against Jeb changed that, and I've been watching with barely restrained glee as Trump destroyed Jeb with the ruthlessness and thoroughness of an industrial shredder. The collateral damage to the Republican party as a whole has been icing on the cake, too. AM propagandists waging civil war against one another, National Review attacking Trump and getting creamed, and the face-melting awesomeness of conservative pundits being set upon by the very mobs they've spent years delicately tweaking and grooming. Koch darling Walker becoming a very expensive, very fast flameout. Freepers once again turning on one another with the inevitable zottings, but this time with fervor seemingly an order of magnitude greater. Millions, maybe billions of precious donor dollars being summarily flushed into the toilet. I could certainly go on. It would be my great pleasure. And for the first time in a long time, following politics has become a pleasure again.

But to whom do I owe this overwhelming achievement? A man who is certainly no philanthropist, no great thinker. A man who thinks as little of my needs or desires as I do those of the ants scuttling about my bathroom. A man who practically defines the term ego. And I would dare to say, the perfect man for our time. In the age of blatant lies prevailing over self-evident truth, of the proudly ignorant populace who blindly accept falsehood as fact simply because it makes them feel good, he is our P.T. Barnum. An incredibly talented grifter going for the longest con of all.

And the weird thing is, I can't really blame him, or even bear him ill will. He's loving good at this. His timing is perfect, his strategy impeccable. As someone else said, politics has lowered itself to him. There's a perfect storm of poo poo: A lovely media working with lovely, corrupt politicians and lovely, corrupt executives to maintain some kind of hosed up hegemony. Of course people want to burn it to the ground, especially with this lovely economy.

But my glee is starting to fade, and get replaced by something resembling worry. Can this really happen? WILL it really happen? Who loving knows! We can't even guess as to what his actual plans would be if he got elected! I mean, I dig the public works angle, The Wall is a crap Great Work but people will have jobs. Maybe he'll fix some bridges and poo poo too. Or maybe he'll just drop dozens of nukes on Megyn Kelly when she's visiting Dubai. Hilarious as that is to imagine, it might be something he'd actually do!

Maybe it's a little sad, but I still have some hope that this will be some kind of wake-up call for the people that don't pay attention. Maybe somehow, we become a little less corrupt as a species. Adapt better bullshit detectors or something. I'd like to think something positive can come out of this. It's a nice thought. But that's so beautifully naive, it's even a little charming. I know better.

And yeah, we deserve this. As a nation, I mean. Not literally "us people posting here", that's just mean. BTW, I loving loved Deadpool.

nice c/p

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Brannock posted:

Christ how loving difficult is it for people to actually go after Trump on poo poo that isn't immediately falsifiable, there's hundreds of this stuff

Instead idiots elect to tackle "issues" that can be successfully argued down and makes their position look even more laughable than it immediately comes off as

actually the one coming off as a fool is you because you are wrong as gently caress

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Zippy the Bummer posted:

Yeah, for the crows. Max ownage."

For whatever reason, this made me think of Counting Crows, and then I realized, "You know what? I'll bet Trump and Christie like Counting Crows. They're terrible enough to like a band that lovely."

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
Trump and Christie ride up to the would-be-king, Marco.

"Look at my Establishment support, Donald. Do you truly think I will not be king?"

"Do you think a few bolts of cloth will make you king?" Trump says.

Rubio smirks. "Old Money swords will make me king. McConnell and Graham and Carson will make me king, with polling and votes and negative ads. Cruz arrows and Jindal lances, Santorum . . . even House Bush, your own wife's brothers and uncles, they will make me king. All the chivalry of the Establishment rides with me, and that is the least part of my power. My foot is coming behind, a hundred thousand swords and spears and pikes. And you will destroy me? With what, pray? That paltry rabble I see there huddled under the castle walls? I'll call them five thousand and be generous, twitter lords and opinion knights and sellwords. Half of them are like to come over to me before the battle starts. You have fewer than four hundred horse, my scouts tell me-freeriders in boiled leather who will not stand an instant against armored lances. I do not care how seasoned a warrior you think you are, Trump, that host of yours won't survive the first charge of my vanguard."

Trump regards him cooly, then wheels Narrative about. "We shall see, Marco. Come the dawn, we shall see."

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

i'll pee in your butt

yes I wrote that

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Extensive Vamping posted:

i'll pee in your butt

yes I wrote that

that's even worse

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

Afraid of Audio posted:

that's even worse

I never said I wasn't a douchebag with delusions of grandeur.

But seriously, the film really did awaken me to the awesomeness of the character.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

User posted:

I think you're right. I've also come to recognize it as a glaring persuasion tell, particularly for the style that plays to identity. http://paulgraham.com/identity.html is a good essay that speaks to some but not all of the phenomenon.

Speaking of tells, I've observed that projecting fear onto others is a 100% reliable indicator that the speaker is a leftist.

what that guy says is 100% true. political beliefs are derived from your personal values, which are part of your identity. so any insult agaisnt your politics feels like a personal insult. which is why arguing about politics is mostly futile. not only does it doom every argument into becoming a stupid slapfight, rational arguments will never convince anyone

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Why does a private citizen like Trump have Secret Service protection anyway? I was under the impression candidates only got official protection after winning the nomination, and Obama getting it was a one-off in '08 when he was frontrunner at the request of political colleagues and fear of racist crazies doing something extreme.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Alris posted:

Why does a private citizen like Trump have Secret Service protection anyway? I was under the impression candidates only got official protection after winning the nomination, and Obama getting it was a one-off in '08 when he was frontrunner at the request of political colleagues and fear of racist crazies doing something extreme.

Maybe there was a credible threat from someone in the GOPe wanting to end their nightmare.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Alris posted:

i think candidates can request to have secret service protection. carson has it too.

what is extremely weird is having them guarding the press pen and preventing people from leaving

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

babypolis posted:

what that guy says is 100% true. political beliefs are derived from your personal values, which are part of your identity. so any insult agaisnt your politics feels like a personal insult. which is why arguing about politics is mostly futile. not only does it doom every argument into becoming a stupid slapfight, rational arguments will never convince anyone

If you arent posting dumb rear end poo poo to infuriate people this (and every) cycle, I don't know what to tell you. If you need a position to take, I highly recommend friend's and family's facebook feeds. Or just dehumanize yourself and face to Trump.

Guy Montag
Jun 24, 2005

Zippy the Bummer posted:

Trump and Christie ride up to the would-be-king, Marco.

"Look at my Establishment support, Donald. Do you truly think I will not be king?"

"Do you think a few bolts of cloth will make you king?" Trump says.

Rubio smirks. "Old Money swords will make me king. McConnell and Graham and Carson will make me king, with polling and votes and negative ads. Cruz arrows and Jindal lances, Santorum . . . even House Bush, your own wife's brothers and uncles, they will make me king. All the chivalry of the Establishment rides with me, and that is the least part of my power. My foot is coming behind, a hundred thousand swords and spears and pikes. And you will destroy me? With what, pray? That paltry rabble I see there huddled under the castle walls? I'll call them five thousand and be generous, twitter lords and opinion knights and sellwords. Half of them are like to come over to me before the battle starts. You have fewer than four hundred horse, my scouts tell me-freeriders in boiled leather who will not stand an instant against armored lances. I do not care how seasoned a warrior you think you are, Trump, that host of yours won't survive the first charge of my vanguard."

Trump regards him cooly, then wheels Narrative about. "We shall see, Marco. Come the dawn, we shall see."

I like what you're doing. Keep it up. If possible could someone illustrate this in the style of Prince Valiant?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Might want to look up what happens to the characters he's placing Trump onto in his Game of Thrones fanfics.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Alris posted:

Nah, it happened before and after Obama too. Kerry had it in 2004 (even before the nomination), and Sanders, Clinton and Carson all have it at the moment too.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Rubio is literally Renly.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Secret Service can protect pretty much anyone their superiors designate.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
lol donald trump had his government appointed journalist wrangler chokeslam a photographer after he tossed 30 black students for looking... protesty

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

Wheeee posted:

Might want to look up what happens to the characters he's placing Trump onto in his Game of Thrones fanfics.

that is kind of the point

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Nah, it happened before and after Obama too. Kerry had it in 2004 (even before the nomination), and Sanders, Clinton and Carson all have it at the moment too.

Thanks.

Oh to be a fly on the wall in one of Carson's secret service detail debriefings :allears:

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Alris posted:

Thanks.

Oh to be a fly on the wall in one of Carson's secret service detail debriefings :allears:

"Make sure we have extras of adrenaline and Narcan. I don't want a repeat of last week's near-coma, people."

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx
If Trump manages to squeak into the presidency I wonder what kind of vindictive bullshit he'll do to people on his grudge list. I can only imagine Nixon's ghost boner at the possibilities.

Prof. Lurker
Mar 10, 2015

I've got the fire of human liberty!

I'm setting fires everywhere!

And humans are turning on everywhere!
if he takes out john oliver my trip to the trump labor camp will be worth it imo

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Prof. Lurker posted:

if he takes out john oliver my trip to the trump labor camp will be worth it imo

You can't take me to a camp! It's CURRENT YEAR!!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

look at this adorable sloth in a Make America Great Again hat!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Well, Thom Hartmann confirmed my worst fear: that there's a non-trivial number of disaffected Sanderistas getting aboard the Trump Train.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Good

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

If you start watching Anime now, the cultural revolution will be less of a shock. I suggest starting with "Heldensagen vom Kosmosinsel", or "Legend of the Galactic Heroes", in dumdum language.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Jewel Repetition posted:

The most perfect thing possible would be Cain as Trump's running mate.

Do we dare hope to believe?

Prof. Lurker
Mar 10, 2015

I've got the fire of human liberty!

I'm setting fires everywhere!

And humans are turning on everywhere!

Jewel Repetition posted:

Well, Thom Hartmann confirmed my worst fear: that there's a non-trivial number of disaffected Sanderistas getting aboard the Trump Train.

there were several polls in the 2008 democratic primary that said a huge number of hillary supporters would vote mccain over obama if she lost the nom, and vice versa. the battle now isn't as fierce as it was back then, but trump is competent in his own strange way that mccain wasn't so idk

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

William Bear posted:

Are they employees of the Trump campaign? And are Diamond and Silk really their names?

No, but only until Trump brings them into his Administration and renames them Step & Fetchit

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

"Ok Carson, roll CHA to save"
The whole table sighs.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/704626119836901376

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Nascar? Really? Why would they take a political stance like that, does anyone know if this is normal for them?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

That SS agent protected the gently caress out of that photographer. Maybe someone was hardscoping him? I guess we'll never know all the details, better to err on the side of the authorities.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

the_paradigm_shift posted:

Nascar? Really? Why would they take a political stance like that, does anyone know if this is normal for them?

Have you not realized that this is the year all normality breaks down? A wallstreet meme has a fair chance at the highest office in the world. Leo won an oscar. this is the year BT 0.5, welcome to the dawn of a new era.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

HapiMerchant posted:

Have you not realized that this is the year all normality breaks down? A wallstreet meme has a fair chance at the highest office in the world. Leo won an oscar. this is the year BT 0.5, welcome to the dawn of a new era.

I can't wait for this thousand year reich to crumble after a few years as well while I'm eating gruel in some shack if I've not been drafted and killed in some inane war for Siberia or Antarctica

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Alris posted:

Thanks.

• Locked thread