Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

MeLKoR posted:

Wait till you read the one I'm writing about an old fisherman that goes out into the sea and is attacked by a giant whale.

capt ahab. I thought that was capt pickard or capt roberts?

Change the story to Chairman Roberts. Industry Titan of the Whaler Industry.
Factory Farming whales for their pocket books.

Promising them the safe place they all need and an ocean of endless desire and riches to be had.
To hoist them up and cut em apart by the Evil Capt Gardiner.
To let the seas run green with greed.

Oh sorry that was one of her pet projects and they harpooned ben.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

LowellDND posted:

'Starting combat maneuvers'
'Internal materials have shifted. Please ensure they are correct'
Computer advices them to fix problems that aren't there, in cargo bays that don't exist.
Hah. Have little brochures promising those cargo bays, and the computer acts like it, but they aren't there.

Whenever you leave the cockpit and come back, a chair goes missing or is moved.
Every now and then it goes prone.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Risc1911 posted:

Open Development done the right way (Elite:Dangerous):

Transparency and honesty go a long way. This is how you handle delays. Take note CIG.

Notice how they provide an update over a month before it was due, and immediately provide a timeline of when to expect things without actually committing to a specific date. And then they remind us that this is a rare occurrence, that it bothers them that this is happening, but they want the quality of the release to be top notch.

So basically the opposite of CIG, who at this point doesn't even talk about the quality of their product all that much anymore.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Toops posted:

lolol this is freaking hilarious!

Speaking of LET ME loving FINISH, another kind goon made me a 3d asset that I'm very excited to show you guys in the next weekly update (Monday).

I realize this is from a ways back at this point, but if you fly too close to something the ship's computer should go into the "Landing gear deployed/retracted" freakout for a couple seconds and the be like "Oh man... what just happened to me?"

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Molotov Cock Tale posted:

Did he criticise star citizen or something?

:boom:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
https://www.instagram.com/p/BChUvaTilNw/

Chris explaining the difference between The Shocker and straight up fisting.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Molotov Cock Tale posted:

Did he criticise star citizen or something?
Said that ambergris was overrated and overpriced.

intardnation posted:

capt ahab. I thought that was capt pickard or capt roberts?
The Old Man and the Whale, it's a completely original idea, very immersive. I'm trying to sell the script to Hollywood.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

smellmycheese posted:

I played the Division Beta for 3 or 4 hours and I can tell you EXACTLY what its going to be.

A piece of poo poo?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Risc1911 posted:

Open Development done the right way (Elite:Dangerous):

Transparency and honesty go a long way. This is how you handle delays. Take note CIG.

Modern Square Enix probably has some of the most open development there is in the market right now. Just about all their big upcoming titles get lots of exposure from the actual developers explaining what they are doing with the game, how it compares to other games in the series, and how they plan to improve it.

Its no joke how they were able to completely turn around ffxiv from the unmittigated disaster from its original launch to one of the most sucessful MMOs in the market. Certainly the most improved one and it was partially because of how open the staff was during the development. With Star Ocean 5 you have developers explaining what went wrong with Star Ocean 4 and how they plan to improve it while constantly showing us the progress. With FFXV you had the director explain what went wrong with the previous version of the game, vs 13, and how the game's evolve over the last few years, again providing tons of videos and demos showing how its progressed while asking for players how to improve it.

This is all coming from the biggest games publisher in Japan. Its hilarious how CIG can claim that they have open development and then say its all thanks to crowdfunding. Continued crowdsourcing is the primary reason why CIG clench their butts the way they do, anything that could potentially disrupt the narrative has an immediate impact in their ability to fund their game.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

orcinus posted:

A piece of poo poo?

Pretty much. Once the novelty of running around going OMG ROGUE!!1!11 wears off

that - and the fact one of the gratuitously stereotyped "black man in a hoody with a baseball bat" can take you down with 2 swipes, despite you unloading 2 turrets, 3 magazines of M4 bullets, and 2 grenades into him. IMMERSION

smellmycheese fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 4, 2016

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Notice how they provide an update over a month before it was due, and immediately provide a timeline of when to expect things without actually committing to a specific date. And then they remind us that this is a rare occurrence, that it bothers them that this is happening, but they want the quality of the release to be top notch.

So basically the opposite of CIG, who at this point doesn't even talk about the quality of their product all that much anymore.

Come on, if CIG told you on about their next delay a month in advance and telling you that they are bothered by it and it's a rare occurrence, would that make the difference? The problem is only in small part a communication issue, it's mostly about failing to meet any deadline ever.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

smellmycheese posted:

that - and the fact one of the gratuitously stereotyped "black man in a hoody with a baseball bat" can take you down with 2 swipes, despite you unloading 2 turrets, 3 magazines of M4 bullets, and 2 grenades into him. IMMERSION

That's what it looked like at a first glamce.
Was beginning to think i'm missing something. Thank you, commando!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
lol, dig this sequence. I never before voted for this guy and made no other votes in the thread so this has nothing to do with anti-briganding .

before

downvote

refresh

cancel downvote

refresh

Vote bots indeed.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Chris a Programmer?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

smellmycheese posted:

I played the Division beta for all of about ten minutes before I realized it wasn't a good game. To be fair though, I'm not in the target audience for "Destiny, but even more boring."

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Toops posted:

Oh don't worry, I've already started working on the startup sequence immersion. Just audio so far, but your ship doesn't get full power until it's finished its startup sequence. Making it very, very annoying and overlong will require a lot of iteration.

Here's a teaser. Might be a bit loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ASlGsRcAZ0

56K modem dialup sound. All of it. In stereo.

It's what the stimperor would have wanted.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Exactly why i keep supporting them, although i have my gripes with the game, i feel treated with respect and as a customer. A feeling i never had with CIG and i was a day 1 backer.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

I played the Division beta for all of about ten minutes before I realized it wasn't a good game. To be fair though, I'm not in the target audience for "Destiny, but even more boring."

I totally loved the scenario and graphics, NY looks pretty amazing, but the game feels very shallow and the gun-play is too arcade-y. I do as usual and buy it after it's down to half price, not that am lacking games to play with a backlog that goes back almost 2 years.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Continued crowdsourcing is the primary reason why CIG clench their butts the way they do, anything that could potentially disrupt the narrative has an immediate impact in their ability to fund their game.

^^ Right here. CIG might say the phrase "open development", but their funding model is exactly why that's impossible. Everything they say, do, and release to the public absolutely must be crafted to maintain or increase donations. This is the gaming equivalent of a political campaign, but worse - there's no end date.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

orcinus posted:

That's what it looked like at a first glamce.
Was beginning to think i'm missing something. Thank you, commando!

Guns are criminally boring. None of them aside from maybe marksman rifles are at all fun to use. At least Destiny got that right. Nor is a city grid layout a particularly exciting setting for a game, though it does at least make use of vertical space.

Prob still gonna play it though cos I'm an idiot and it's at least something new.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

No I didn't say that - I said I had a hard time understanding what the game of NMS was from the multiple hands on reviews I have read in the last couple of days. In a way that I would think is different to reading similar hands on reviews of The Division. I used my personal experience of playing a new game in Beta to amplify the point that I would have no problem describing its gameplay in simple terms after a relatively short time playing it "hands on"

It's a light minecraft-like crafting game that is more focused on exploration than the crafting side.

That's essentially it. If you're not the kind of player who likes Minecraft or exploration games, it will end up boring you.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Slow_Moe posted:

56K modem dialup sound. All of it. In stereo.

It's what the stimperor would have wanted.

^ This. All of it. Period. End of story.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Risc1911 posted:

I totally loved the scenario and graphics, NY looks pretty amazing, but the game feels very shallow and the gun-play is too arcade-y. I do as usual and buy it after it's down to half price, not that am lacking games to play with a backlog that goes back almost 2 years.

Honestly even if I wasn't almost bored to death when I played it, I can't justify giving them any more money until they un-gently caress Rainbow Six: Siege. :negative:

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Risc1911 posted:

It's one of those experiences that will only be enjoyable if you have a regular group to go with. I found it immensely more enjoyable when with friends than playing solo (during the beta). Though 'immensely' is a relative term, given how boring another post-apocalyptic shooter is. They're trying to capture that DayZ-vibe, but I do not know how well that game will do on the PC given that DayZ/WarZ/The Culling (which is basically Division: The DarkZone the game)/ARK are.

It has a better chance on console, but it's up against Destiny on the MMO/shooter side, and against Last of Us on the post-apocalyptic story side. So.. we'll just have to see.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Loiosh posted:

It's one of those experiences that will only be enjoyable if you have a regular group to go with. I found it immensely more enjoyable when with friends than playing solo (during the beta). Though 'immensely' is a relative term, given how boring another post-apocalyptic shooter is. They're trying to capture that DayZ-vibe, but I do not know how well that game will do on the PC given that DayZ/WarZ/The Culling (which is basically Division: The DarkZone the game)/ARK are.

It has a better chance on console, but it's up against Destiny on the MMO/shooter side, and against Last of Us on the post-apocalyptic story side. So.. we'll just have to see.

I agree, i had some fun playing with a friend and grouping up but it got boring real quick, very repetitive too with predictable spawns.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Loiosh posted:

When you say "up against Destiny" though you mean "up against something that Bungie has done precisely nothing with in 6 months despite claiming it is some kind of ongoing thing". What a joke of a game it is. The lack of content is mindboggling. *goes and shoots some more Vex for a blue crystal*

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Ferris Kerr update for all you Ferris Kerr fans out there.

Current status: Unhappy I think

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Maybe if they tried working during the day they wouldn't loving suck so much.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

When you say "up against Destiny" though you mean "up against something that Bungie has done precisely nothing with in 6 months despite claiming it is some kind of ongoing thing". What a joke of a game it is. The lack of content is mindboggling. *goes and shoots some more Vex for a blue crystal*

Even worse now. They don't have enough income to find a full live events team, and they just had to delay all their projects into 2017. No new expansions, no new game, very little live content. They're in trouble and Destiny 2 in 2017 is the only thing that'll save them.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Loiosh posted:

Even worse now. They don't have enough income to find a full live events team, and they just had to delay all their projects into 2017. No new expansions, no new game, very little live content. They're in trouble and Destiny 2 in 2017 is the only thing that'll save them.

We can all rightly laugh at Croberts, but when you read about the shitfight of Destiny's birth, and what a horrible loving mess Bungie have created - the stuff about it taking a week of programming effort to move one rock to a different place because of their crap engine etc. , the complete and utter abortion of a "story" , and the ongoing bullshit they are perpetrating in trying to present what is an incredibly limited shooting gallery as some ongoing WOW style universe. They win though for not selling JPEGs of Suros guns to idiots in order to get their horrible junk made in the first place.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

We can all rightly laugh at Croberts, but when you read about the shitfight of Destiny's birth, and what a horrible loving mess Bungie have created - the stuff about it taking a week of programming effort to move one rock to a different place because of their crap engine etc. , the complete and utter abortion of a "story" , and the ongoing bullshit they are perpetrating in trying to present what is an incredibly limited shooting gallery as some ongoing WOW style universe. They win though for not selling JPEGs of Suros guns to idiots in order to get their horrible junk made in the first place.

In case you wanted to know that whole story and haven't seen it yet: http://kotaku.com/the-messy-true-story-behind-the-making-of-destiny-1737556731

“Let’s say a designer wants to go in and move a resource node two inches,” said one person familiar with the engine. “They go into the editor. First they have to load their map overnight. It takes eight hours to input their map overnight. They get [into the office] in the morning. If their importer didn’t fail, they open the map. It takes about 20 minutes to open. They go in and they move that node two feet. And then they’d do a 15-20 minute compile. Just to do a half-second change.”

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Loiosh posted:

In case you wanted to know that whole story and haven't seen it yet: http://kotaku.com/the-messy-true-story-behind-the-making-of-destiny-1737556731

“Let’s say a designer wants to go in and move a resource node two inches,” said one person familiar with the engine. “They go into the editor. First they have to load their map overnight. It takes eight hours to input their map overnight. They get [into the office] in the morning. If their importer didn’t fail, they open the map. It takes about 20 minutes to open. They go in and they move that node two feet. And then they’d do a 15-20 minute compile. Just to do a half-second change.”

that was the article I was referring to

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I know a few company owners like this.
They started out as talented hard workers and slowly with age found themselves 'in charge' of their company. It can be deadly and hilarious. One that I know likes to 'keep his hand in' and sometimes designs various labels for some of the products his company makes, this is always done at night, at the weekend and always means that the following Monday his staff will email me asking to fix a design he made in Publisher and the label is always late to print when this happens.

Much like here though, I wouldn't change a thing because what I get sent is consistently loving really funny. Company owners have no one to answer to so stretching a logo to fit, using garish colours that don't fit the brand etc are all part of the ride because no one can tell a company owner 'Hey, that's poo poo, you should stop doing that'

They also usually have this thing where they see themselves as one of the boys, in the trenches, really mucking in and getting their hands dirty like it's some herculean hero level thing they did, when the rest of the working world do it better than them, day in, day out, all their lives.

It's a beautiful thing when a boss drifts over time and is no longer an expert in something.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

smellmycheese posted:

OK, Destiny question. I know not much about the game but I saw it for sale new at a Toys R Us for like £5, what's going on there?

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

peter gabriel posted:

Just wanted to let you know that you are my favorite poster

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

OK, Destiny question. I know not much about the game but I saw it for sale new at a Toys R Us for like £5, what's going on there?

that will be the original Destiny without any of the paid expansion DLC. Now the populist view would be to say "oh that's a waste of money - you need to get The Taken King to really appreciate what Bungie has done" but frankly I would say that five quid will get you enough of Destiny to know that its a loving tedious mess

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Illegal Move posted:

Just wanted to let you know that you are my favorite poster

Ferris Kerr status update just for you:

Current status: Salty

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

smellmycheese posted:

that will be the original Destiny without any of the paid expansion DLC. Now the populist view would be to say "oh that's a waste of money - you need to get The Taken King to really appreciate what Bungie has done" but frankly I would say that five quid will get you enough of Destiny to know that its a loving tedious mess

Well in the current climate £5 for a loving tedious mess is mighty tempting

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

He's been unhappy for a while I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Good lord :lol:

Ferrari Car update:

Sales pitch:

• Locked thread