Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Jehde posted:

Another new song from the upcoming EitS album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2p4Ml_lS7A

Still not digging it.

It was....ok? :shrug: I don't hate or love it. It might take time to adjust to it. But EITS can't go on reproducing "Your Hand in Mine" for their whole career. Change and progress are healthy even if not everything hits the mark, so kudos to them. I like EITS in general and I'll buy the new album on CD. I find TWDY, GYBE, EITS, Tortoise and Mogwai all very reliable and engaging and I'll buy anything new by them. None of them have ever made a bad album (granted that you actually like their stuff), though I actually dislike Tortoise's first album but that's just my taste, I wouldn't say it's a bad album.

Do we chat about Boards of Canada here or on another thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I did a review of the Fall of Messiah record for Echos & Dust last month, found that album to be spectacular. Shades of Deafheaven, The Constants & Caspian.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

It was....ok? :shrug: I don't hate or love it. It might take time to adjust to it. But EITS can't go on reproducing "Your Hand in Mine" for their whole career. Change and progress are healthy even if not everything hits the mark, so kudos to them. I like EITS in general and I'll buy the new album on CD. I find TWDY, GYBE, EITS, Tortoise and Mogwai all very reliable and engaging and I'll buy anything new by them. None of them have ever made a bad album (granted that you actually like their stuff), though I actually dislike Tortoise's first album but that's just my taste, I wouldn't say it's a bad album.

Do we chat about Boards of Canada here or on another thread?

It's good that they're trying to change things up, but it feels like they're reaching for something out of their grasp.

As for Boards of Canada, there is an IDM thread, but it's been pretty quiet lately. Inject some life into it!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A friend of mine is one half of a post-rock outfit named Calls, and they just put out a new tune. Posting it here because I'm sure some of y'all will enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqKORg2QjXY

Download from Bandcamp here (name your price):
http://calls.bandcamp.com/

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

AccountSupervisor posted:

So Ive been incredibly out of the post-rock loop for awhile.

Can anyone give me a general summary of good new stuff, new bands that are getting big and new stuff from more established bands?

Ive got the new Caspian and been listening to the new EITS but I feel like Ive missed a whole lot, especially seeing here that Yndi Halda is back.

I really need some good new post-rock in my life.

Right so last year the Israeli band Tiny Fingers released The Fall which is electronic dance post rock sort of in the vein of 65dos but still very much its own thing. Tangle Thoughts of Leaving released Yield To Despair which is probably their best work to date. My favourite release from last year was Oiseaux-Tempête's ÜTOPIYA? which is kind of Godspeed meets free jazz, it's astonishingly good.

Also worth your time were A Swarm Of The Sun's The Rift which is kind of post-doom-rock sort of, really nice vocals on it, really bleak album, loved it. Masakichi released their post-indie album called Hummingbird, which I really enjoyed. Roz Vitalis released Lavoro D’Amore which is kind of prog-post-jazz, think Samuel Jackson Five but more prog. If you like Sigur Rós, Yucatan's Uwch Gopa'r Mynydd is Wale's answer to that. Midas Fall's new album The Menagerie Inside is more pretty female vocal lead indie tinged post rock. German band Halma released Granular, which is very much worth your time as well but kinda hard to describe other than the guitars have tons of backwards delay on them.

That's just off the top 20 list I submitted to Echoes & Dust, there was a ton of stuff this year, though I did think it was a weaker year than last for post-rock.

A lot of it's not post-rock but here's what I submitted in full.

Marriages: Salome
BIG | BRAVE: Au De La
Anna von Hausswolff: The Miraculous
Petrels: Flailing Tomb
Oiseaux-Tempête: ÜTOPIYA?
Daniel Menche & Mamiffer: Crater
Tangled Thoughts of Leaving: Yield to Despair
Chelsea Wolfe: Abyss
Masakichi: Hummingbird
Whore Paint: Ultra Sound
Roz Vitalis: Lavoro D’Amore
The Visit: Through Darkness Into Light
A Swarm Of The Sun: The Rifts
Shy, Low: Hiraeth
Takaakira Goto: Classical Punk And Echoes Under The Beauty
Yucatan: Uwch Gopa'r Mynydd
Halma: Granular
Midas Fall: The Menagerie Inside
Esmerine: Lost Voices
Hawkthonn: Hawkthonn

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

AccountSupervisor posted:

I really need some good new post-rock in my life.

chunkles posted:

Sorni Nai, The Kraken, Salome. It was not a good post-rock year for me personally, but there's a lot to look forward to in 2016: Pirate Ship Quintet, Latitudes, pg.lost, Tides from Nebula just off the top of my head.

(also check out Latitudes new album)

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Oh yeah, The Kraken unfortunately only made it into my ears after submission deadline but absolutely deserved a place on that list. That album is more beautiful and profound than a metal concept album about encountering and fighting a giant squid has any right to be.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Awesome, thanks guys. Last major post-rock release I listened to was ASIWYFAs last album "Heirs" so I have some serious catching up to do.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Oh yeah, The Kraken unfortunately only made it into my ears after submission deadline but absolutely deserved a place on that list. That album is more beautiful and profound than a metal concept album about encountering and fighting a giant squid has any right to be.

Between them and Ahab it's the best time to be alive for someone who likes relatively obscure music and 19th century literature about mythical sea monsters

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Oooh, I've missed Anna von Hausswolff's album - will have something to listen to on monday at least. Cheers!

Some from me:

Teeth of the Sea - Highly Deadly Black Tarantula (an insanely good, at least for me, post-rock/doom-rock/psychodelic album)
Swans - The Gate
Vessels - Dilate
Tortoise - The Catastrophist (didn't like this one unfortunately)
Maserati - Rehumanizer (nor this one)
thisquietarmy - Anthems for Catharsis
worriedaboutsatan - Even Temper
El Ten Eleven - Fast Forward
toe - Hear You

edit: ooh - Anduin - Last Days Of Montrose House

canis minor fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 4, 2016

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

canis minor posted:

Oooh, I've missed Anna von Hausswolff's album - will have something to listen to on monday at least. Cheers!

It's perfect.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What's that swans album?

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Seconding (or thirding) this, Kraken is one of my favourite albums of last year, and what got me following this thread.

I would however suggest that "a metal concept album about encountering and fighting a giant squid" has not only a right, but an obligation to be amazing!

As to something I discovered recently, Mugstar are a really good post-rock band.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Just want to say this and the E&D List as a whole gave me shitolads of good stuff to listen to after you originally posted it, so cheers.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Junkenstein posted:

Just want to say this and the E&D List as a whole gave me shitolads of good stuff to listen to after you originally posted it, so cheers.

The E&D Editor is a professional data analyst so make sure to take advantage of all the sorting tools he's incorporated into the list.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Yndi Halda comeback is streaming. It has vocals.

http://www.factmag.com/2016/03/02/yndi-halda-stream/
Finally getting around to listening to this. Golden Threads From The Sun is legit one of the best new post-rock songs I've heard in years :unsmith: It's so beautiful.

e: Oh god, the second half of This Very Flight is loving incredible. I love this album.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 5, 2016

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

xiansi posted:

I would however suggest that "a metal concept album about encountering and fighting a giant squid" has not only a right, but an obligation to be amazing!

True, but The Kraken accomplishes that without the slightest amount of camp or silliness, which I thought would be inevitable.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I can't believe I'm saying this but I saw Charlotte Church live tonight at a Jeremy Corbyn benefit gig and her + her (very tight) band are basically doing post rock or shoegazey MBV-type stuff. I guess all her stuff is like that lately, after the poppy stuff. And she's got an incredible voice.
Half the songs sound like early radiohead. Some sound like portishead. And then then there were MBV-style covers of older songs with big airy bits that sounded like Sigur Ros.

What the hell is going on?!

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

thehustler posted:

I can't believe I'm saying this but I saw Charlotte Church live tonight at a Jeremy Corbyn benefit gig and her + her (very tight) band are basically doing post rock or shoegazey MBV-type stuff. I guess all her stuff is like that lately, after the poppy stuff. And she's got an incredible voice.
Half the songs sound like early radiohead. Some sound like portishead. And then then there were MBV-style covers of older songs with big airy bits that sounded like Sigur Ros.

What the hell is going on?!

I just listened to her 4 recent EPs and they're incredible. No one knows what is happening.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Cymbal Monkey posted:

so much of this + the list on Echoes and Dust was things i already listened to and loved (Salome, Au De La, Flailing Tomb, Dust and Disquiet, Dilate) that I simply needed to investigate some of this. so far i feel 'meh' on Yield to Despair and Departure Songs, but quite like Uwch Gopa'r Mynydd, and ÜTOPIYA? and Highly Deadly Black Tarantula absolutely blew my mind and are some of the best music I've heard in a while so I'm considering it more than worth my time to listen to these so far and thanks 4 all your hard work in compiling this list

e: might as well also agree with basically everybody in here that the new Yndi Halda is real real good

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

SpruceZeus posted:

so much of this + the list on Echoes and Dust was things i already listened to and loved (Salome, Au De La, Flailing Tomb, Dust and Disquiet, Dilate) that I simply needed to investigate some of this. so far i feel 'meh' on Yield to Despair and Departure Songs, but quite like Uwch Gopa'r Mynydd, and ÜTOPIYA? and Highly Deadly Black Tarantula absolutely blew my mind and are some of the best music I've heard in a while so I'm considering it more than worth my time to listen to these so far and thanks 4 all your hard work in compiling this list

Always warms my heart a bit when I can help someone discover new music they love. It's why we do it. :)

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no
I don't know if this album fits in this thread; apologies in advance if this should have gone somewhere else, but this seemed like the closest fit. Awhile back, I ran across this video (which is pretty rad in and of itself, for how it syncs with the song in a few places):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV3G1YKKEZw

The band's 3-track EP came out today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEQ9WlhoJ9c

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Cymbal Monkey posted:

also not post-rock, but eartheater's rip chrysalis is worth a mention

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Both the new Mogwai and Explosions in the Sky albums leaked 2 weeks early.

I've only listened to the new Explosions so far, but it's pretty cool. A departure from their previous albums, but it feels like they definitely picked up a new bag of tricks from scoring a few movies since releasing their last album and it's cool that they're trying new things after being together for over 15 years. With the shorter track times and more concise tracks, I feel like this one might be easier to pick up and re-listen to than Take Care even though I like Take Care a lot.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
EITS has left no impression on me however the new mogwai is amazing.

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

#goonproject

https://soundcloud.com/weeperthgs/sets/were-weeper

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Pripyat is my early favorite from Atomic

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
atomic is pretty great, which is good because i haven't enjoyed a mogwai album since the hawk is howling

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

e: gently caress I already posted this

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This new Mogwai :stare::fh:

This isn't even technically one of their studio albums, just a soundtrack, but goddamn.

e: Yeah, I'm not even gonna deny it. This is my favorite thing they've done since Hardcore Will Never Die. Jesus, this is good. I thought the first half was good but the second half gets even better.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 22, 2016

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Can anyone suggest some things similar to We Lost the Sea's Departure Songs? Definitely my favorite album in recent memory.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Benson Cunningham posted:

Can anyone suggest some things similar to We Lost the Sea's Departure Songs? Definitely my favorite album in recent memory.

Not 100% post rock but Rosetta has some similar sounds. The Galilean Satellites

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Benson Cunningham posted:

Hammock's Departure Songs.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

lazerwolf posted:

Not 100% post rock but Rosetta has some similar sounds. The Galilean Satellites

The instrumentals are solid, but the vocals are ruining it for me. I really like the concept though (the double album release that is meant to be played overtop each other).

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

A friend of mine is one half of a post-rock outfit named Calls, and they just put out a new tune. Posting it here because I'm sure some of y'all will enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqKORg2QjXY

Download from Bandcamp here (name your price):
http://calls.bandcamp.com/

2nd-ing Calls. Can't wait for the album, especially if this track makes the cut (warning: bad live recording).

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

How are Yndi Halda live? I've got a ticket tonight for Jeff Rosenstock, but that was before YH was announced. They're playing right across the road from each other though, so I might try half and half.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Junkenstein posted:

How are Yndi Halda live? I've got a ticket tonight for Jeff Rosenstock, but that was before YH was announced. They're playing right across the road from each other though, so I might try half and half.

Very enjoyable.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Just wanted to pop in as a somewhat infrequent lurker.

Thanks for the multiple suggestion for We Lost the Sea's Departure Songs. Never thought I'd enjoy an album with an unironic use of a goddamn Ronald Reagan quote as the coda. It's great.

Also Mogwai's new album owns y'all

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Finally got around to listening to the new Mogwai soundtrack, it still manages to be super chilling without the visuals of the documentary, good poo poo. I also listened to the new EitS, it's not as bad as I thought it'd be, still not particularly good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
New EITS is pretty loving fantastic, different and less explosive than most of their albums but it is absolutely gorgeous. You can really see how much scoring movies as expanded their sound and scope as a band.