Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Snapchat A Titty posted:

theres two in denmark, possibly more

how much does a union programmer get paid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saikonate
Jun 23, 2007
Naysayer
Fun Shoe

ufarn posted:

the abject lack of solidarity amongst tech people in the us is baffling

Haven't tech companies also done a pretty good job of making it difficult, creating a culture of "you can't talk about your salary" and other poo poo?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
lol if u dont do all your web browsing on the Kindle Experimental Browser

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
lots of the folks i know in the stockholm office are in a tech union. usually you join during undergrad. when they relocated the office from lulea up north the union brought in negotiators for the relo packages. someone got 52 weeks worth of plane tickets so i assume they did a good job. the union does a bunch of networking and professional development stuff i'm told which seems deece as well.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Management posted:

i dont have access to IDA stats, but website seems to suggest minimal salary, for someone with college degree tops, of ~$66k

another thing though is if someone gives a poo poo about this recommendation

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

lol you're a sensitive bitch smythe

ufarn
May 30, 2009

computer parts posted:

is there a tech union in france or w/e
sure. but unions don't need to be specialized. look at teamsters in sf, which is basically a catch-all for so-called contractors for megacorps looking to earn a livable wage

there are a bazillion unions in the world, but the basics of labour laws and proper workplace conditions don't really need a lot of domain knowledge - tech people aren't the unique snowflakes they think they are after all

i'm a part of a tech union myself, although that's on an individual basis, not something my entire workplace joined like you tend to see with newspapers and blue-collar workers - and i'd pretty much pick the union regardless of what i went into

ufarn fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 26, 2016

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The Management posted:

varies a lot based on position, length of employment, public/private, education etc.

average real world starting salaries are between 55k - 70k depending on level of education:
https://www.prosa.dk/raadgivning/loenstatistik/startloenninger/

statistics from the two unions i know:
https://www.prosa.dk/raadgivning/loenstatistik/
http://www.hk.dk/aktuelt/nyheder/2015/02/10/samdata-loenstatistik

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ufarn posted:

the abject lack of solidarity amongst tech people in the us is baffling

it's not baffling in the least

the tech industry exists to destroy worker solidarity

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Stymie posted:

it's not baffling in the least

the tech industry exists to destroy worker solidarity

also tech workers have ridiculous amounts of compensation

like yeah you also have ridiculous work hours but you can trade that off and still get around $90k without much issue (might have to move though)

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

computer parts posted:

like yeah you also have ridiculous work hours but you can trade that off and still get around $90k without much issue (might have to move though)
If you work at Face/Goog/Micro you making over 3x that within 5 years without putting in silly hours is completely normal.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Saikonate posted:

Haven't tech companies also done a pretty good job of making it difficult, creating a culture of "you can't talk about your salary" and other poo poo?

it's a the same cultural thing as everywhere else. Like, there are notes in HR documents which say "This does not in any way restrict your ability to discuss your compensation with others" but nobody's going to order a pizza for the team and start pulling up direct deposit records

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

computer parts posted:

lol you have no idea how much tech people make

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Management posted:

lol you have no idea how much tech people make

i meant outside of the bay area, but yes this is also true

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Snapchat A Titty posted:

varies a lot based on position, length of employment, public/private, education etc.

average real world starting salaries are between 55k - 70k depending on level of education:
https://www.prosa.dk/raadgivning/loenstatistik/startloenninger/

statistics from the two unions i know:
https://www.prosa.dk/raadgivning/loenstatistik/
http://www.hk.dk/aktuelt/nyheder/2015/02/10/samdata-loenstatistik

time to repost my graphs from the salary thread. these graphs are based on surveys the union sends to its members

Wheany posted:

this is the graph i was referring to:

that is all engineers. i think IT engineers have slightly higher salaries across the board. also these are monthly earnings, so "six figgies" would be 8333 on the graph.

yes, the graph ends at 7000

Wheany posted:

again, these are monthly salaries and 100k per year = 8333 per month

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
so if you work in helsinki, graduated 30 yeas ago and make more money than 90% of all engineers, you might be making six figgies in finland

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Wheany posted:

so if you work in helsinki, graduated 30 yeas ago and make more money than 90% of all engineers, you might be making six figgies in finland

no wonder the best engineers migrate to the US if they can. Europeans never miss an opportunity to shoot their industries in the foot, do they?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

tbf i know a bunch of people who get low 6 figgies but you also gotta account for the difference in how pensions/insurance/taxes work so its not really a 1:1 comparison

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ill take a 30% haircut in salary if i get healthcare, guaranteed paternity leave and my kids' college education paid for

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

mishaq posted:

ill take a 30% haircut in salary if i get healthcare, guaranteed paternity leave and my kids' college education paid for

yeah they get less raw cash, but the benefits aren't even comparable.

if you actually tallied up all of the perks, I'm certain the pay is much closer to industry standard.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

mishaq posted:

i figure society will collapse before i need significant healthcare spending so i'd rather have the pay now to invest in important stuff like a big bunker filled to the brim with buckets of freeze dried food and hot babes that teach me tough karate poses so i can survive in the wasteland

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/24/texas-wrong-house-torn-down-google-maps/

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

that should be a fun time in court

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Idiots

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

angry_keebler posted:

i figure society will collapse before i need significant healthcare spending so i'd rather have the pay now to invest in important stuff like a big bunker filled to the brim with buckets of freeze dried food and hot babes that teach me tough karate poses so i can survive in the wasteland

lol if your societal collapse plan isn't suicide

im gonna fill two scuba tanks, one with air and one with pure nitrogen and blissfully float to the bottom of the sea in weightless wonder

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
i'm going to uparmor a biodiesel bulldozer and use it to run over various terminators and cannibals as i wander the land righting wrongs

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

imagine the road but instead of a big crybaby dragging his kid around new england a very cool one eyed dude with a handlebar moustache and billy idol hair leaps out of the cab of a bulldozer filled with hot babes and starts doing a bunch of fist of the northstar moves on a gang of motorcycle toughs

that's my plan for ~2043-2060s

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

end of world plan: just a ton of music and whiskey and smokes and then just be in the moment for however long it takes to die

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

when the world ends I'm gonna be the guy who goes nuts and blows up an entire empty town, slightly endangering the protagonists

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

angry_keebler posted:

imagine the road but instead of a big crybaby dragging his kid around new england a very cool one eyed dude with a handlebar moustache and billy idol hair leaps out of the cab of a bulldozer filled with hot babes and starts doing a bunch of fist of the northstar moves on a gang of motorcycle toughs

that's my plan for ~2043-2060s

I don't have to imagine the road, they filmed it in my hometown

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
when the world ends i''ll probably have been dead for 500 years

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

computer parts posted:

lol there's no way it won't end before 2050

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Snapchat A Titty posted:

lol there's no way it won't end before 2050

coincidentally the regular life expectancy of many people here

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

when i die i'm taking the world out with me, preferably by falling on the nuclear football and pushing all the buttons or something

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

computer parts posted:

the world isn't going to end for billions of years at which point it will be obliterated by our dying sun.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
if the world ends i hope i'm eating something like a nice rack of ribs when i die

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Improbable Lobster posted:

if the world ends i hope i'm eating someone with a nice rack when i die

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

this is the joke I wanted to make but couldn't find the right way to word it

ufarn
May 30, 2009
it's so loving hard to keep up with the clusterfucks at alphabet

quote:

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. — Google’s brash attempt to revolutionize medicine as it did the Internet is facing turbulence, and many leaders who launched its life sciences startup have quit, STAT has found.

Former employees pointed to one overriding reason for the exodus from Verily Life Sciences: the challenge of working with CEO Andrew Conrad.

(...)

Former employees, including a one-time manager, said Conrad kicked employees out of meetings if he deemed them too junior, even when they were leading the project under discussion.

Many Silicon Valley techies are work-obsessed and used to long hours, but Verily has become so demanding, erratic, and unforgiving an environment, a former employee said, that he regularly found himself at his desk at 11 p.m., in tears. Crying, he added, was not uncommon inside Verily offices and restrooms.

http://www.statnews.com/2016/03/28/google-life-sciences-exodus/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
dont bbe evil

• Locked thread