Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

TacticalNecromancy posted:

I dunno man, I guess.

Needs mouth photoshopped in from a fashion mag to be 100% original Ryan Archer piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

hottubrhymemachine posted:

As a non coffee drinker I am intrigued about this bit. How does the outside weather affect pulled shots? Also what is a shot and what is pulling one?

Pouring boiling water in a mug with a teabag is about as far as I go with caffeine consumption.

Also, everyone taking the dereki code poo poo seriously is hilarious.

Edit: drat 12 pages appeared between me starting this post, getting distracted and submitting the draft. Apologies if it was already addressed and those people already mocked. I just skipped them all rather than read more blathering crap about encryption and hilarious jokes.

I live in a country where people start drinking 4 espressos a day around age 14, I listen to you gringos talking about this poo poo like it's magic but from my experience I've drank pretty great espressos in bumfuck nowhere taken by the retarded daughter of the illiterate tavern owner. Provided you have a good coffee blend and machine (which your coffee distributor gives you) it's not that hard to make a pretty good espresso.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Banano posted:

Buy a small ultrasonic cleaner, you will NOT regret it

The dumbest poo poo i ever did was to put some isopropanol in the ultrasonic cleaner.
It didn't blow up or anything (concentration too low), but it ate the gaskets.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

aleksendr posted:

I concur, you should not mess with the tamp once you can do it with consistency. remember than pulling a shot should take around 30 seconds and adjust your grind first.

My friends run a medium sized coffee company and they said that you just need a firm tamp above a certain amount of pounds and that it makes no difference in flavor past a certain point as long as the grind, machine, and beans are good.

They run the training, go to south america to source product, do all the research, and told me this while I was pulling shots on a custom machine that makes the one at CIG laughable.

The reasoning is that it just needs to be even and hold up to all the pressure of the machine pushing water through it. Most of espresso pulling is people making stuff up.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Backers paid for people to learn how to make espresso.

they need that skill to properly simulate how to be a barista, it is needed for that starliner ship they have.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

happyhippy posted:

Trying to find exact price, but so far someone has mentioned on a blog this model costs $10,000.

Its shown here, http://blog.fogcreek.com/the-price-of-dev-happiness-part-two/

Still checking.

It's a $16K Espresso machine. This was already sorted out like 100 pages ago.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

He is saying this about a dude that publicly and very efficiently silenced a wheelchair bound kid. For being mean on the internet.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MeLKoR posted:

Dude you're pretty crazy, are you sure you want to go through with this by tomorrow? :vince:

I mean... eventually even one of the riddiots is going to crack this up.

They already cracked up under pressure. And deleted the thread; remember?

I think they did it because 1) they think it's related to a really bad E.L.E and they don't want it there 2) they're idiots who don't want to admit they couldn't crack it

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Banano posted:

Buy a small ultrasonic cleaner, you will NOT regret it

I have one for cleaning parts for my models. 5/5 would recommend A+++++++

orcinus posted:

The dumbest poo poo i ever did was to put some isopropanol in the ultrasonic cleaner.
It didn't blow up or anything (concentration too low), but it ate the gaskets.

Mine's got a stainless steel tub to work in, but I still will put stuff in a container surrounded by distilled water if I feel the need to use something other than the aforementioned water in it.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

D_Smart posted:

I poo poo you not, you need to come to my #general Discord channel to see the levels of hilarity that's sprouted up around this

invite code: https://discord.gg/0sasVA7SRFF1RYc6

Goddamnit cube :argh:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, mine are Crizal. I have two pairs. The reading/computer ones, and the outdoor ones which have auto solar tinting

Do you have to change them every year or so?
I'm finding the Essilor Crizal coating tends to turn to mush after a year or two.

It's scratch resistant for a while, then it starts scratching up like crazy and it's time for new lenses.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

AP posted:

Meanwhile at CIG.

What's with the black poo poo floating in the crema?

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

orcinus posted:

Pubes.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Sunswipe posted:

Be fair, it's given them free training for their next jobs.

:eyepop:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

Yeah, plus somebody leaked it cost $20k to Derek, same thing with Star Marine being cancelled, it seemed too crazy to be true and it took over half a year for both things to be confirmed.

If the "baby pu" has been put into maintenance mode as Derek has now said, then Star Citizen is effectively cancelled. Even if they could survive the two+ years to get SQ42 out the door they'll be in the same situation as now, do we work on Star Citizen or SQ42 Episode II? At that point Episode II is actually possible and they'll have everything in place to make it. Hard to see them ever being in a position to go back to making Star Citizen.

Star Citizen (aka PU) is in maintenance mode.

Anything they add to it now, is around the core they have; and without adding anything substantial to it.

Note that shortly after I made this proclamation, they announced how shops (which I said they were going to do next, like two months ago) were going to be implemented: in the current framework they have, rather than how/where it was original promised to be done.

Star Citizen (PU) as it exists now, is designed for one thing only: make money to fund SQ42 and the skeleton crew shoving in money-making mechanics into Star Citizen.

There won't be any of the promised - and meaningful features - going into Star Citizen. As in, ever.

And they won't be around long enough to finish SQ42 E1; let alone crawl out of Star Citizen maintenance mode to go back and complete it as promised.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

orcinus posted:

Boogers

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Backers paid for people to learn how to make espresso.

Pretty ambitious for a company that is literally bankrupt.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
I've been asked in PMs if I would actually post Derek's info once I cracked it (Since I said I would.)

I have since cracked it, and I am not touching this with a ten foot pole.

All the speculation in the world........

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dusty Lens posted:

Pretty ambitious for a company that is morally bankrupt.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
So don't apply for a job at CIG right at this moment?

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Anything they add to it now, is around the core they have; and without adding anything substantial to it.

Note that shortly after I made this proclamation, they announced how shops (which I said they were going to do next, like two months ago) were going to be implemented: in the current framework they have, rather than how/where it was original promised to be done.

Star Citizen (PU) as it exists now, is designed for one thing only: make money to fund SQ42 and the skeleton crew shoving in money-making mechanics into Star Citizen.

There won't be any of the promised - and meaningful features - going into Star Citizen. As in, ever.

And they won't be around long enough to finish SQ42 E1; let alone crawl out of Star Citizen maintenance mode to go back and complete it as promised.

Derek will you hire one of their developers if given a chance when all your predictions comes to past?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Oh, and will this revelation make the book written on this better or worse?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

I poo poo you not, you need to come to my #general Discord channel to see the levels of hilarity that's sprouted up around this

invite code: https://discord.gg/0sasVA7SRFF1RYc6

Jesus christ, how do you guys follow that channel, new messages are popping up faster than i can *scroll*.
Not read, but just scroll.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

all I see in the espresso photo is a super dirty and disgusting counter top and it's making me want to go clean my entire kitchen for the second time this week

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

orcinus posted:

Do you have to change them every year or so?
I'm finding the Essilor Crizal coating tends to turn to mush after a year or two.

It's scratch resistant for a while, then it starts scratching up like crazy and it's time for new lenses.

Nope. But then again, I change my prescription ever 3-4 years; which means new glasses anyway.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

runsamok posted:

Mine's got a stainless steel tub to work in, but I still will put stuff in a container surrounded by distilled water if I feel the need to use something other than the aforementioned water in it.

Yeah, mine does too, but the lid is plastic and has a plastic gasket.
And yes, the way you describe it is how it's *supposed* to be done if you're not a lazy idiot (like me).

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Sillybones posted:

So don't apply for a job at CIG right at this moment?

depends, do you want on the job training as a barista?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Whale tears.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I've been asked in PMs if I would actually post Derek's info once I cracked it (Since I said I would.)

I have since cracked it, and I am not touching this with a ten foot pole.

All the speculation in the world........

LOL!! Don't you dare! Tomorrow is Monday; and it's the perfect day to set it all on fire going into the week. :D

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

EminusSleepus posted:

Derek will you hire one of their developers if given a chance when all your predictions comes to past?

If I were hiring, and they were qualified for the job, of course. Why not? I don't blame any of them for the poo poo-show that's going on atm. It's all on croberts.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

happyhippy posted:

Anyone try to find out the watch that's also in the pic?

Looks like a Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre, about £1000-2000.

Then again, could be a cheap knock off.

Chris Robert's watch was tagged a little bit back.

orcinus posted:

Croberts is wearing a:
http://www.iwc.com/en/collection/portugieser/IW3714/

It hit me just as i was about to fall asleep.

Basically another coffee machine on his wrist.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

Nope. But then again, I change my prescription ever 3-4 years; which means new glasses anyway.

They've gotten a bit better in the last few generations (wearing these now: http://www.essilor.med-cis.com/en/Products/PhotochromicLenses/Pages/transitionsVII.aspx) but the scratch resistance still seems to wear out after 2 years and it drives me loving insane, because i can't stand the idea of having a scratch in the lense (even if it's not in my field of vision). Not sure if OCD or just side effects of my photog days from years ago.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

D_Smart posted:

What cracks me up is one of the original stores (I think it is casaba's outlet or something close) assets are in the current download. I think they were dated May 2015 or something. So, not only something that is being totally reworked has been around for a year...but it has sucked up drive space and bandwidth that entire time for no good reason.

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!
Derek, if it gets out that you leaked this you are loving finished.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Guys! GUYS!
I found the Emacs plugin Bunnyman uses!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1sXuHnf_lo

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

A Spider Covets posted:

all I see in the espresso photo is a super dirty and disgusting counter top and it's making me want to go clean my entire kitchen for the second time this week

Yeah that freaks me out as well.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

orcinus posted:

Guys! GUYS!
I found the Emacs plugin Bunnyman uses!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1sXuHnf_lo

Apparently Teledildonics is a word. Thanks for the enlightenment, friend.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

D_Smart posted:

It's a $16K Espresso machine. This was already sorted out like 100 pages ago.

Derek given that there are 2892 pages of this one thread alone I think we can excuse some of the posts being old news. Keeping up with this poo poo is almost a full time job.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I still think the thread should be closed and remade once it reaches 3000A.D. pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

AP posted:

Yeah, plus somebody leaked it cost $20k to Derek, same thing with Star Marine being cancelled, it seemed too crazy to be true and it took over half a year for both things to be confirmed.

If the "baby pu" has been put into maintenance mode as Derek has now said, then Star Citizen is effectively cancelled. Even if they could survive the two+ years to get SQ42 out the door they'll be in the same situation as now, do we work on Star Citizen or SQ42 Episode II? At that point Episode II is actually possible and they'll have everything in place to make it. Hard to see them ever being in a position to go back to making Star Citizen.

Exactly, what happens if they actually finish SQ42 Episode 1? They are going to just jump right into Episode 2.

Beyond the fact that Crobert's interest is in the cinematic SQ42, they're hosed technologically on Star Citizen anyway. I know Star Citizen is never coming out in any form similar to what has been promised, and I have huge doubts about them being able to even get out SQ42, but I very badly want to see SQ42 released. I want to see it just be a wet plop, get critically destroyed, make no money because nobody wants it, and anyone that does want it is already entitled to it, and for that to be the killing blow, short of the FTC swooping in or straight bankruptcy. Chris Roberts managing to release SQ42, and it being a huge nothing burger and getting eviscerated over it, would be pretty entertaining. All the believers still waiting for Star Citizen while Roberts takes his ball and goes home would cause spectacular fireworks.

XK fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 3, 2016

• Locked thread