Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

English voice highlights for Star Ocean 5 are coming out. Fiore is professional

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IegQNj7dRTM

I didnt think they could come up with a way to make her design dumber, but apparently giving her a calm and professional personality fits the bill. It just conflicts with an outfit that excessive so drastically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Yeah, I commented on that while I was playing it earlier. She should pretty much be in a lab coat.

The printed excuse for her outfit is that she's proud of showing off the high-class signets on her legs, but even if you buy that it doesn't explain the hair or accessories.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caphi posted:

Yeah, I commented on that while I was playing it earlier. She should pretty much be in a lab coat.

The printed excuse for her outfit is that she's proud of showing off the high-class signets on her legs, but even if you buy that it doesn't explain the hair or accessories.

Hell, Shadow Hearts: From the New World does that exact premise with an outfit not nearly as stupid.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Caphi posted:

Or her top

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Rascyc posted:

All the stuff they added in TO that's terrible is mostly related to the post game at least. The leveling of new classes is probably the worst your average play through has to deal with, sadly it is a pretty bad one. You can cfw cheat that one away at least.

The skill system is worse than most people think. A lot of skills don't function correctly because it seems like they were designed in a vacuum instead of taking the underlying character mechanics into consideration. It's just bad.

The finishing blow system is also terrible while it's on my mind.

Isn't it something ridiculous where skills like Strengthen don't actually work unless you're at a higher level than the enemy?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Furnaceface posted:

Also now I really want to play MotBQ. I think that might be the only game Ive ever played and beat more than 5 times and still enjoy picking up to play again.

And to think that we will never get another one. :smith:

One of my biggest surprises related to the current giant wave of indie games is that there isn't any Ogre Battle clones being made. If there are, none of them have caught my attention, and I rummage through indie strategy games / rpgs fairly commonly.

I've bounced the idea around in my head before, and a game like that should be relatively simple to make compared to others. If you go for the SNES level of fidelity, you have pretty simple tile maps, limited sprite animations, and some fairly simple effects. Programming wise I don't see a challenge at even my low skill level. The story can be a pretty standard military affair and get away with it as well. It seems like a competent group could throw something pretty awesome together, but it doesn't happen.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

One of my biggest surprises related to the current giant wave of indie games is that there isn't any Ogre Battle clones being made. If there are, none of them have caught my attention, and I rummage through indie strategy games / rpgs fairly commonly.

I saw this a few weeks ago.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/03/27/chronicle-ruin-real-time-tactical-jrpg-inspired-ogre-battle/

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Looper posted:

like, here are my proposed fixes that i came up with just now:
-don't have random drops
-don't put rng in a crafting system
-allow players to level up skills by spending excess skill points if they want
-don't have super secret rad postgame bonus characters join up at loving level 1

e: -if you're going to limit class changing with consumable items, don't hide those items as random drops in some random rear end battle

Neurion posted:

If you've got CWCheat on your PSP, these two codes will fix some of the crafting woes:
_C1 Crafting success rate 100%
_L 0x201285B4 0x10000015
_L 0x2012860C 0x340200FF

And the minor code injection I wrote (overwrite two instructions with NOPs :v: ) to disable the crafting animation for faster crafting (still gotta do poo poo one-by-one, though):
_C1 No Crafting animation
_L 0x2008BBE8 0x00000000
_L 0x2008BC5C 0x00000000

Mind you, that last one was only tested on an emulator, so I'm not 100% sure it will work on an actual CFW PSP

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There are ogre battle clones, they are also infamously lovely kickstarters that never came out like Project Phoenix, the one that is making a multiplayer that no one wanted, the one that never started because they were waiting on an artist for 2 years, etc.

If you're strictly talking medieval strategy turn-based games, Banner Saga 2 is coming out soon.

There hasn't been that many kickstarters probably because strategy rpg hasn't been a non-active genre for actual companies.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Tae posted:

There are ogre battle clones, they are also infamously lovely kickstarters that never came out like Project Phoenix, the one that is making a multiplayer that no one wanted, the one that never started because they were waiting on an artist for 2 years, etc.

If you're strictly talking medieval strategy turn-based games, Banner Saga 2 is coming out soon.

There hasn't been that many kickstarters probably because strategy rpg hasn't been a non-active genre for actual companies.

ogre battle isn't the same thing as tactics ogre

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Went to a used game/movie store today and picked up copies of Tales of Xillia, the Tales of Symphonia bundle, Resonance of Fate and Vanquish for 70 bucks total. I know another store that has Xillia 2 and a bunch of Atelier games, if I decide I want to use the rest of my birthday money on that, too.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I am glad we have reached an era of Ridiculous Witch Outfits

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Verranicus posted:

Went to a used game/movie store today and picked up copies of Tales of Xillia, the Tales of Symphonia bundle, Resonance of Fate and Vanquish for 70 bucks total. I know another store that has Xillia 2 and a bunch of Atelier games, if I decide I want to use the rest of my birthday money on that, too.

If you like the characters in Xillia even a little bit, pick up Xillia 2. It's more of the same but does a lot more character development and has some great skits.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Last Celebration posted:

That must be a fandub or something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drXWfn3vFDQ

you haven't scraped the surface of fandubs

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

CubeTheory posted:

If you like the characters in Xillia even a little bit, pick up Xillia 2. It's more of the same but does a lot more character development and has some great skits.

Any other suggestions for PS3 games?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Verranicus posted:

just dont buy atelier rorona (rorona plus is acceptable)

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Verranicus posted:

Nier and the jak collection

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

CubeTheory posted:

I also has the stupidest possible plot which almost retroactively ruined the characters for me. It's probably decent if you skip all plot and just listen to the skits.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Verranicus posted:

Way of the Samurai 3

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

i don't have a psp and don't feel like cracking my vita

crafting isn't the only problem with tactics ogre anyway

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

corn in the bible posted:

just dont buy atelier rorona (rorona plus is acceptable)

What's wrong with Rorona?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Verranicus posted:

The only big ones that no one has touched on since you asked are Valkyria Chronicles, Lightning Returns (better on PC if possible), and Demon Souls.guessing you may have already played these.

I recommend Tokyo Jungle and Lost Planet 2 as slightly off-the-beaten-path fun games with some RPG aspects. There are a lot of other great games on the system though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Verranicus posted:

What's wrong with Rorona?

It was a Gust 'first attempt' ie a proof of concept that got improved upon massively by later games and is missing a ton of QoL features that make it a chore to play. The Plus version adds a lot of them back in.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

OneDeadman posted:

I am glad we have reached an era of Ridiculous Witch Outfits

:same:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not sure which is more impractical, a skirt made of books or a catsuit made of holes.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
witches are good

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drXWfn3vFDQ

you haven't scraped the surface of fandubs

Holy poo poo that's amazing. Did he do the whole thing because I need to hear him doing Garnet and Kuja.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

http://store.steampowered.com/app/377840/

FF9 finally out on Steam.

quote:

All Aboard the Hilda Garde everyone! It's time to return to Gaia as Final Fantasy IX is out on Steam right now!

Relive this classic Final Fantasy adventure with Zidane and his crew with a bunch of new features including:

・ Steam Achievements
・ 7 game boosters including high speed and no encounter modes.
・ Autosaves
・ High-definition movies and character models.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
High speed and no encounter mode sound very nice.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I've bounced the idea around in my head before, and a game like that should be relatively simple to make compared to others. If you go for the SNES level of fidelity, you have pretty simple tile maps, limited sprite animations, and some fairly simple effects. Programming wise I don't see a challenge at even my low skill level. The story can be a pretty standard military affair and get away with it as well. It seems like a competent group could throw something pretty awesome together, but it doesn't happen.

this one seems more in the vein of FFT but it looks promising

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1266693296/arcadian-atlas-tactical-rpg-inspired-by-classics/

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

MotU posted:

witches are good

Witches are evil, that's like part of their whole thing.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

bloodychill posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Good_Witch

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

bloodychill posted:

Except all those good witches.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

SMT4 Final coming to NA this Summer, called SMTIV: Apocalypse.
https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/720639482974703616

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tae posted:

English voice highlights for Star Ocean 5 are coming out. Fiore is professional

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IegQNj7dRTM

Valkyrie Profile: Origins trailer is scheduled to show tomorrow.

It was really bugging me at first because the song was familiar and I was wondering if it was just Sakuraba being reptitive but nope, it's a straight-up song from the last game they used for the preview of this game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqVfZyLSrpY

What the hell. I mean, it's a good song but that still seems dumb.

Who's the new Albel, though? I don't recognize the others off-hand but you can always tell it's Crispin Freeman.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Go watch the sequel, The Good Witch 2: Toddler Rampage Soup and report back about these so-called "good witches."

Glinda ruled the munchkins with an iron wand. Don't believe her lies, wake up sheeple

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So sorry if someone has already posted these. This seems to be a summary of Japanese reviews of SO5

quote:

Short story.
There are not many areas to visit, everything seen on streams is pretty much that.
No arena.
Not a lot to do for endgame content.
Lots of reused tracks from previous games.
Optional dungeons are palette swaps.
No alternative costumes.
Relia is not actually playable
s

For more recent news
http://gematsu.com/2016/04/media-create-sales-4416-41016

quote:

Star Ocean V 10,383 second week for a total of 123,408

Is this kind of drop-off typical or is the game bombing?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nah jrpgs always have pretty huge drop offs. Unless people start returning it and the price plummets it's really just business as usual

that said by armchair analyst opinion is that the overall sales are pretty weak for a console jrpg with an actual budget

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Motto posted:

SMT4 Final coming to NA this Summer, called SMTIV: Apocalypse.
https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/720639482974703616

I'm glad they changed the name so that I can immediately recognize this as that one SMT game that features the apocalypse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
100k in Japan is pretty good for a franchise that isn't one of those juggernaut like Monster Hunter, Pokemon, Yokai Watch, or Dragon Quest.

Also, pretty much most games drop off heavily after the 1st week because physical copies are at bargain bins almost immediately.