Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Razzled posted:

haha i didn't even realize that was an actual slur, i was trying to type zambis and just said gently caress it

I don't even know why I was about to ask if that was a thing when of course it's a loving thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think in a total armageddon situation, you probably still want carbs, just because you can theoretically machine new pieces for them with two-hundred-year-old technology. There's a whole book series written in the 1970s (under the specter of nuclear annihilation) about how to create a machine shop from the ground up, starting with finding iron-bearing sand and casting metal parts in a charcoal foundry.

In a situation where you might still be able to salvage electronics and/or build yourself a megasquirt or something, EFI is definitely the more reliable way to go.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

captainOrbital posted:

I don't even know why I was about to ask if that was a thing when of course it's a loving thing.

Everything is an n word.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Geirskogul posted:

Everything is an n word.

Somewhere, there's someone just desperate to get offended over any word you could ever choose, in any situation.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Sagebrush posted:

I think in a total armageddon situation, you probably still want carbs, just because you can theoretically machine new pieces for them with two-hundred-year-old technology. There's a whole book series written in the 1970s (under the specter of nuclear annihilation) about how to create a machine shop from the ground up, starting with finding iron-bearing sand and casting metal parts in a charcoal foundry.

In a situation where you might still be able to salvage electronics and/or build yourself a megasquirt or something, EFI is definitely the more reliable way to go.

Do you happen to remember the name of this book series? This sounds really cool (and I want to make myself useful to Immortan Joe in case the world does end).

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sagebrush posted:

Mind this is all a bit moot unless the bike you've got is one of those 100mpg diesel fueled KLR650s the US marines used to use, since clean petrol will be a bit hard to come by after a few months whereas biodiesel is significantly easier to produce (so I'm told)

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
If the zombie apocalypse happens I'm taking an SUV, retards.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Well obviously, I mean you'll need something big enough to keep the bike in.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Chichevache posted:

Bricknose diesel F-250. Room in the back for a bike.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Bicycle.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Lol. Meals on Wheels :rice:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Mind this is all a bit moot unless the bike you've got is one of those 100mpg diesel fueled KLR650s the US marines used to use, since clean petrol will be a bit hard to come by after a few months whereas biodiesel is significantly easier to produce (so I'm told)

Biodiesel is easy to produce because you can often just burn filtered vegetable oils straight up. Rudolf Diesel designed his original engine with the idea that a farmer could run his equipment on the same crop he was farming (peanuts, soybeans, sunflowers, etc.)

However, in an apocalyptic scenario, I wouldn't be looking for either clean gasoline or a diesel motorcycle. I'd just bore out my carb jets 40% and start distilling alcohol. Any bike made since the 80s should have an alcohol-safe fuel system, and if not, it's just a matter of changing out some lines and seals. Plus, pure ethanol has an octane equivalent of like 110, so it's ideally suited to all of the Mad Max megaboost twincharger fantasies.

As Nero Danced posted:

Do you happen to remember the name of this book series? This sounds really cool (and I want to make myself useful to Immortan Joe in case the world does end).

http://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Metalworking-Shop-Scrap/dp/0960433082

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Chichevache posted:

I'm going to steal a sailboat and sail up and down the coast, or just anchor it in fifty feet of water. I'm pretty sure zombies don't swim. Of course, I have to steal one big enough to keep a couple of motorcycles on the deck.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
You could also not buy lovely carbs.
I hated carburetors till I bought a proper flatslide.

Clitch posted:

Bricknose diesel F-250. Room in the back for a bike.

This guy knows whats going on.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Biodiesel is easy to produce because you can often just burn filtered vegetable oils straight up. Rudolf Diesel designed his original engine with the idea that a farmer could run his equipment on the same crop he was farming (peanuts, soybeans, sunflowers, etc.)

However, in an apocalyptic scenario, I wouldn't be looking for either clean gasoline or a diesel motorcycle. I'd just bore out my carb jets 40% and start distilling alcohol. Any bike made since the 80s should have an alcohol-safe fuel system, and if not, it's just a matter of changing out some lines and seals. Plus, pure ethanol has an octane equivalent of like 110, so it's ideally suited to all of the Mad Max megaboost twincharger fantasies.

http://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Metalworking-Shop-Scrap/dp/0960433082

Not to sperg out here but how would this work on a resources:fuel volume level? Like, if you only occasionally used your vehicle I can see how brewing would make sense but if you were constantly doing mad max poo poo there's just no way you'd be able to get enough ingredients to be able to distill enough alcohol to run your poo poo I don't think.

Please prove me wrong.

cursedshitbox posted:

I hated carburetors till I bought a proper flatslide.

Yeah this is easy to say cause you have a dirty single but buying four non-lovely carbs for a powerful bike is hysterically expensive compared to just buying a similar bike with efi and geting a PC. I understand where you're coming from but if you have the choice of buying a bike without them it's a no-contest from every angle.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I think the proper answer is, bury my with my bike while you guys have fun in this lovely dying world.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Yeah this is easy to say cause you have a dirty single but buying four non-lovely carbs for a powerful bike is hysterically expensive compared to just buying a similar bike with efi and geting a PC. I understand where you're coming from but if you have the choice of buying a bike without them it's a no-contest from every angle.

Valid point. years ago I had a fzr hybrid with cv carbs and that was just a motherfucking pain in the rear end. I eventually learned how to tune them, after ordering 3/4 of the parts for a efi conversion.
Would I do it again? god no, I'd get a late model r6 and call it quits.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Not to sperg out here but how would this work on a resources:fuel volume level? Like, if you only occasionally used your vehicle I can see how brewing would make sense but if you were constantly doing mad max poo poo there's just no way you'd be able to get enough ingredients to be able to distill enough alcohol to run your poo poo I don't think.

Please prove me wrong.

Don't worry -- you've already been outsperged. I did the math a while ago, based on fermenting and distilling barley. With an average crop yield of 25 bushels/acre, and using normal yeast that dies at ~15% ABV, you can expect to get roughly 200 gallons of pure ethanol per acre of barley. Not all that much if you're constantly driving everywhere in a blown V8, but in a motorcycle getting 40mpg (note that ethanol has about 2/3 the energy density of gasoline) that's a year of active riding, easy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Don't worry -- you've already been outsperged. I did the math a while ago, based on fermenting and distilling barley. With an average crop yield of 25 bushels/acre, and using normal yeast that dies at ~15% ABV, you can expect to get roughly 200 gallons of pure ethanol per acre of barley. Not all that much if you're constantly driving everywhere in a blown V8, but in a motorcycle getting 40mpg (note that ethanol has about 2/3 the energy density of gasoline) that's a year of active riding, easy.

Not bad. But then you wonder what you need to grow and process an acre of barley :v:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Since a lot of people seem to like the ZRX in here, how do you guys rate the Yamaha XJR1300? It seems like its aimed at the same kind of buyer.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

darth cookie posted:

Since a lot of people seem to like the ZRX in here, how do you guys rate the Yamaha XJR1300? It seems like its aimed at the same kind of buyer.

slow.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

darth cookie posted:

Not as good in a performance sense, also the ohlins are 'fake' and a lot worse than the rex's shocks.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

welp.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Linedance posted:

Fuel injection. When the hordes of undead are clawing at your garage door, do you want to be sitting at a work bench fiddling with tiny o-rings and pilot needles shouting "just a minute!", or just press the starter and go?

Lmao if your carbed bikes don't start as reliably as fuel injected bikes all the time

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'm sure mine will after the no-doubt fouled spark plugs are replaced and the carbs are clean and the valves aligned and oh gently caress this is going to be so expensive :homebrew: :cripes:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

captainOrbital posted:

I hate to break this to you but pretty much all zombie stories are racist, or at least inspired in the prejudices, fears and mindset that white supremacists have. Brave, noble rugged individualist protecting his kith and kin from shambling subhumans who seek only to leech from him? Rudyard Kipling just popped a boner.

Sagebrush posted:

I'm pretty sure zombies don't swim.

QED.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I hate to break this to you but pretty much all zombie stories are racist, or at least inspired in the prejudices, fears and mindset that white supremacists have. Brave, noble rugged individualist protecting his kith and kin from shambling subhumans who seek only to leech from him? Rudyard Kipling just popped a boner.

QED.

As I understand it the original introduction of the concept of zombies to Western culture was as a shambling, mindless slave to a voodoo shaman. In this case it is tied to African and Creole culture, but if anything it demonstrates- to me- black or African superiority. There could be racism in the noble savage imagery associated with the shaman, but that doesn't seem to be what you're referring to.

As far as modern zombies go, to me it is more in line with libertarian and upper class rhetoric. The survival of the fittest is exactly how they like to see themselves in the modern economic jungle. Tech bros feed on that poo poo. Then again, a Venn diagram of libertarians/the filthy rich and white supremacists would probably look very much like a circle, once you exclude the dirt poor. I guess you are right. :shrug:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lmao if your carbed bikes don't start as reliably as fuel injected bikes all the time

Haven't owned a carbed bike in nearly a decade. Who's lmaoing now? :smuggo:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

As I understand it the original introduction of the concept of zombies to Western culture was as a shambling, mindless slave to a voodoo shaman. In this case it is tied to African and Creole culture, but if anything it demonstrates- to me- black or African superiority. There could be racism in the noble savage imagery associated with the shaman, but that doesn't seem to be what you're referring to.

As far as modern zombies go, to me it is more in line with libertarian and upper class rhetoric. The survival of the fittest is exactly how they like to see themselves in the modern economic jungle. Tech bros feed on that poo poo. Then again, a Venn diagram of libertarians/the filthy rich and white supremacists would probably look very much like a circle, once you exclude the dirt poor. I guess you are right. :shrug:

Nah, even the "voodoo makes zombies" thing is pretty much a white invention to otherise any black person who dared be more than a machine. Voodoo is an absolutely fascinating example of the human spirit, making an entire belief system out of the dozens if animist religions of the slaves along with the random bits of Christianity being screamed at them, just as Creole represents the same process with languages. Unsurprisingly given their situation the religion was grim as gently caress (although somehow still less apocalyptic than dispensationalist Christianity) but most of the reanimation stuff is straight-up Christian resurrection myths.

You're absolutely right about what happened afterwards though, and take a long hard look at people who are "jokingly" stockpiling ammo and food for the zombie apocalypse - apart from hairstyles they're literally indistinguishable from your average Turner-Diaries-reading white supremacist.

(I will admit my source for this is Some Thing I Read but the second part really hits home when you start to think about it)

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Goons holed up in a fortified motorcycle parts warehouse, making beds of carb rebuild kits, like hoarding dragons. The loading dock doors groan under the pressing weight of the undead throng, but deep within, the rafters hum with a shout of triumph. Another successful sync.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Linedance posted:

Haven't owned a carbed bike in nearly a decade. Who's lmaoing now? :smuggo:

Its me

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

fingerling posted:

I'm looking at getting another bike; I've mentioned before, but I'm looking at a few different varieties. It'll mainly be for weekend hill rides and the odd longer-distance stuff.

Leaning towards a ZX12 with some sort of bar risers. Something like this:

Anybody have any insight on these? (That's probably a median price for Australia, if not a little low).
I've read that the first iteration has issues with the clutch or something, and a few other smaller things. I'd wager most of these have been sorted if they're still running after ~15 years.

Others I'm going to be looking into are Speed Triples, MT09s, and as previously ogled, Super Duke 990s (1290 in Aus are still literally $20k+ second hand).
Thoughts on these? :ohdear:

immediatedit; suggest me a bike urgh

Help :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Sounds like you haven't really decided what you want out of your next bike yet - the ZX12 fills a pretty different role from the rest of those bikes.

I'd probably recommend you shoot for as many test rides on as many things as you can before buying cause it seems like you're still in the phase of "this seems cool I'll buy it". If you can swing it, buying cheap bikes and reselling them later can be a decent way to get long test rides but it's not a move for everyone.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
This might be a question for the Harley thread instead, but does anyone on SA own or have seat time on an XR1200? I saw one on the highway this morning and holy crap does it look cool.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Z3n posted:

Sounds like you haven't really decided what you want out of your next bike yet - the ZX12 fills a pretty different role from the rest of those bikes.

I'd probably recommend you shoot for as many test rides on as many things as you can before buying cause it seems like you're still in the phase of "this seems cool I'll buy it". If you can swing it, buying cheap bikes and reselling them later can be a decent way to get long test rides but it's not a move for everyone.

The (much) lower rider population here makes buying cheap and on-selling a dicier proposition than in the Bay Area. I'd only do it on a crazy bargain.

That said, people that are trying to shift bikes in a meh market are usually pretty happy to let you test ride in my experience, and there's a cheapish SD990 near Adelaide that looks reasonably well sorted . You should look at that and take it for a spin.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/aldinga-beach/motorcycles/ktm-superduke-990/1107987795

prukinski fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 18, 2016

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As Nero Danced posted:

This might be a question for the Harley thread instead, but does anyone on SA own or have seat time on an XR1200? I saw one on the highway this morning and holy crap does it look cool.

I personally don't, but the general consensus seems to be that the looks are the best part

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Incoming clutchpuck in 3. 2...

The bike looks great, but apparently suffers from typical harley handling, which is to say there isn't any. It has a great engine, and looks, but nothing else. Clutchpuck will point out that if you want that engine in a proper frame and suspension, you should get the XB12.

He will not point out that for every bit of good styling the XR1200 has, the XB12 has exponentially less. It is a poisoned well.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

cursedshitbox posted:

I hated carburetors till I bought a proper flatslide.lightswitch

ftfy

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I personally don't, but the general consensus seems to be that the looks are the best part

IIRC they ride a lot closer to what anyone interested in cornering or stopping would call 'decent' than any other harley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Coydog posted:

Incoming clutchpuck in 3. 2...

The bike looks great, but apparently suffers from typical harley handling, which is to say there isn't any. It has a great engine, and looks, but nothing else. Clutchpuck will point out that if you want that engine in a proper frame and suspension, you should get the XB12.

He will not point out that for every bit of good styling the XR1200 has, the XB12 has exponentially less. It is a poisoned well.

You're high xbs look rad.

Spent 6 hours doing 100 miles on mine today. Super fast Harley engine

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 18, 2016