Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Regarding the pallbearer thing:

Yeah, Peggy dies midway through, not connected to the main events of the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I would assume she dies because she'd be like 90-something by now.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

Apparently the airport scene is exciting and inventive, so I dunno what you're going on about

Not what I saw.

What is happening in the scene looks better than the average action scene in Avengers, slightly, because it's less floaty and cut better. The action beats are timed better, so that, when say, Spider-man grabs Cap with his webs, it immediately cuts to the next action of him pulling as opposed to holding on it for too long and making that action less visceral.

But the framing is dull, the use of depth and background is nonexistent, and the lighting is extremely flat. It's pretty much the same as the officially released Black Panther/Winter Soldier/Iron Man/etc. scene only with less movement, so it comes off as extremely dull when watching (to me).

So, in other words, it's not shot as good as a Spartacus action sequence, but a bit better than one in Arrow. And, my question was that i don't understand why this is the case in a movie of this magnitude that focuses on scenes like this.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Whizbang posted:

King T'chaka, The Starks, and The Winter Soldier all get murdered.

Also, Tony and Pepper's relationship.

Actually that's not entirely correct, Winter Soldier survives the film. Crossbones bites it in the opening scene.

Darko posted:

So, in other words, it's not shot as good as a Spartacus action sequence, but a bit better than one in Arrow. And, my question was that i don't understand why this is the case in a movie of this magnitude that focuses on scenes like this.

But the quips and the character reveals were great! :v:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The big question for me is whether Civil War is better than Deadpool.

Either way, looking like a good year for comic book movies.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Phylodox posted:

The big question for me is whether Civil War is better than Deadpool.

The guys I saw Civil War with were having this exact discussion after the film. :v:

Edit: I should note that one of the guys is a turbonerd who has spent thousands and thousands getting a near complete collection of the classic Avengers comics and he was siding with Deadpool.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 28, 2016

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Phylodox posted:

Either way, looking like a good year for comic book movies.

Yeah, word

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It's definitely enjoyable and has a couple good laughs (Falcon + Bucky buddy movie please), but I don't think it tops Deadpool. Having so many characters running around, each with their own motivations and history, just makes it a less refined movie. It's hard to compete with a fresh debut.

And why it's awesome to see the heroes clashing, it still all feels bit silly and forced. I'm glad that they at least acknowledge that some of them are holding back. Well, except for the final fight.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 28, 2016

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think I'm comfortable calling Deadpool the winner of 2016. Even if a better movie comes out, for Deadpool to have been as good and successful as it was despite everything it had going against it puts it over the top. It's like a paraplegic winning a silver medal in the able-bodied Olympics.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Phylodox posted:

It's like a paraplegic winning a silver medal in the able-bodied Olympics.

It's the Oscar Pistorius of films!!!

No wait

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's the Oscar Pistorius of films!!!

No wait

I avoided an amputee analogy for a reason.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Phylodox posted:

I think I'm comfortable calling Deadpool the winner of 2016. Even if a better movie comes out, for Deadpool to have been as good and successful as it was despite everything it had going against it puts it over the top. It's like a paraplegic winning a silver medal in the able-bodied Olympics.

This seems to me like the same line of argument as the "Marvel made a movie about a talking raccoon successful!" meme. Like, the biggest thing was that it was R-rated, I guess the second was that he isn't a recognizable A-lister. But I honestly don't think name recognition even matters anymore at this point, and it had a brilliant marketing campaign driven by a pretty rabid fan base who plastered that poo poo all over social media.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Avatar was successful because of unobtanium. :v:

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Guy A. Person posted:

This seems to me like the same line of argument as the "Marvel made a movie about a talking raccoon successful!" meme. Like, the biggest thing was that it was R-rated, I guess the second was that he isn't a recognizable A-lister. But I honestly don't think name recognition even matters anymore at this point, and it had a brilliant marketing campaign driven by a pretty rabid fan base who plastered that poo poo all over social media.

It was also, you know, enjoyable. That might have helped too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Spun Dog posted:

It was also, you know, enjoyable. That might have helped too.

Josh Lyman posted:

Avatar was successful because of unobtanium. :v:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

But the quips and the character reveals were great! :v:

That poo poo surprisingly goes a long way.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I'd maintain that all those people are pretty big stars and that your argument doesn't hold.

I'm not even counting Sony and Fox actors like Halle Barry, Toby M, Dunst, Pat Stewart, Dafoe, Affleck, Jessica Alba, Kevin Bacon, Emma Stone and bit players like Martin Sheen, Sally Field, etc (unless that was your point: only Marvel actors), but even leaving it just to Marvel actors it's still a pretty star studded cast overall. Maybe you mean they're not casting Robert DeNiro, Meryl Streep and Robert Redford (there's another one) to play the Avengers but you seem to be cherry picking here about what constitutes "stardom" to support an argument I find dubious.

Terrance Howard, Jeff Bridges, Mickey Rourke, Rene Russo, Tommy Lee Jones, Idris Elba, Don Cheadle, Josh Brolin...Ben loving Kingsley...Vin Diesel, Glenn Close, Brad Cooper, James Spader...

Lot of star power there from where I sit.

Listen we can talk about this in circles forever unless we can get some metrics in here. I argued that Marvel has a habit of hiring actors that were not at the tier that Jennifer Lawrence is now, then growing them into the high tier actors demanding big pay-checks subsequently..

Jennifer Lawrence is the highest paid actress today: http://www.vogue.com/13296895/jennifer-lawrence-highest-paid-actress-world/

Here is an article mentioning the highest paid actors and actresses in 2008: http://extratv.com/2008/01/01/hollywoods-highest-paid-actors/

Johanson is about sixth in the list of highest paid actresses. I'm not trying to talk about the quality of these people, but how much they cost Marvel to hire. And I would still maintain, despite Marvel's recent loosening of the purse strings, that the go to move is to inculcate less than highly appreciated actors inhouse.

EDIT: There are numerous articles out there circa 2008 that has Feige and Perlmetter supposedly saying as much. Its why Downey had to strongarm the company into paying his fellow castmates a comparable wage to his own.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Speaking proportionally, Deadpool is flat out the best comic book film of 2016.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Actually that's not entirely correct, Winter Soldier survives the film. Crossbones bites it in the opening scene.

I'm talking about the human popsicles that Zemo kills, not Bucky.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Scyantific posted:

Speaking proportionally, Deadpool is flat out the best comic book film of 2016.

Deadpool is a lot like Guardians of the Galaxy, in that it's a really fun movie to watch once and which nobody will be talking about a year from now.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Wheeee posted:

Deadpool is a lot like Guardians of the Galaxy, in that it's a really fun movie to watch once and which nobody will be talking about a year from now.

so, like all comic book movies

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010

Wheeee posted:

Pretty much see deadpool twice it got less funney and kinda became boring.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

so, like all comic book movies

I think about "Spider-Man stole that guy's pizza!" On a daily basis.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

net cafe scandal posted:

I think about "Spider-Man stole that guy's pizza!" On a daily basis.

Well, yeah, because it's fuckin Spider-Man 2, a movie that's good enough to still be talking about a decade plus later.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Woah! ...he stole that guy's Pizzas!

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Man of Steel is pretty enduring. Most Superman films have been really (except for III). The Nolan stuff as well.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Danger posted:

Man of Steel is pretty enduring. Most Superman films have been really (except for III). The Nolan stuff as well.

I would say except for IV, III has got some stuff going on.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Greataval posted:

Pretty much see deadpool twice it got less funney and kinda became boring.

Hey, I saw Deadpool four times and it was still funny, I am also a nerd that loves the good comics of him.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
DC and Marvel should team up for a Lex Luthor vs. Spidey, cake vs. pie stealing contest film.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Whizbang posted:

DC and Marvel should team up for a Lex Luthor vs. Spidey, cake vs. pie stealing contest film.

"I swear, that's just lemon filling! What's the matter?"

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Danger posted:

Man of Steel kicked me in the nuts with how good it was during my recent MoS-BvS double feature. I'm probably going to be watching it quite a lot in the coming years, and that's really weird to think about considering I previously hated it like folks hate BvS.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Wheeee posted:

Guardians is still in rotation at my house. I enjoy it as much as I did the first time.

But yeah, can't imagine rewatching Deadpool.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

It's the opposite for me, I couldn't stand my second watching of MoS, but I watch GOTG almost once a month.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm a broken human being but I didn't care for majority of the humor in Deadpool.

For comparisons sake, I also don't care for any of the comedy in Lord and Miller films.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Whizbang posted:

There was a really awesome comic where Kingpin teams up with Ra's Al Ghul to fight Spider-man and Batman.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mordiceius posted:

I'm a broken human being but I didn't care for majority of the humor in Deadpool.

For comparisons sake, I also don't care for any of the comedy in Lord and Miller films.

It's a very similar style of humor between the two, so probably just not your bag, not indicative of you being a broken human being. You'd be a broken human being if you liked no comedy, or if you hated Lord/Miller stuff and Deadpool but loved Larry the Cable Guy or something.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Danger posted:

Returning to Watchmen after 8 years(!) of Marvel was revelatory.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's a very similar style of humor between the two, so probably just not your bag, not indicative of you being a broken human being. You'd be a broken human being if you liked no comedy, or if you hated Lord/Miller stuff and Deadpool but loved Larry the Cable Guy or something.

Yeah. Most people just think I'm broken when I explain that I thought the Lego movies was dull and one of the least funny things I've ever seen.

I think I've just kind of come to a point where I don't like films that are a comedic focus. Whereas I love the comedy bits throughout Guy Richie films or Alexander Payne films.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah. Most people just think I'm broken when I explain that I thought the Lego movies was dull and one of the least funny things I've ever seen.

I think I've just kind of come to a point where I don't like films that are a comedic focus. Whereas I love the comedy bits throughout Guy Richie films or Alexander Payne films.

Did u like 21 Jump Street? Cuz I thought that was rly funny but I feel the same way about the Lego movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, I still think of Guardians of the Galaxy all the time, and I'm reasonably sure I'll be enjoying Deadpool for years to come, whereas I literally never think of Man of Steel outside of this thread. I guess different people just like different things.

• Locked thread