Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

quick question because I've never tried:

Can capital modules be put into a non-capital ship slot and left offline? Or does the game prevent that kind of shenanigan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

CommonShore posted:

quick question because I've never tried:

Can capital modules be put into a non-capital ship slot and left offline? Or does the game prevent that kind of shenanigan?

used to, compression way back in the day was fitting a rack of cap guns onto destroyers and putting a fuckload into a carrier

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

used to, compression way back in the day was fitting a rack of cap guns onto destroyers and putting a fuckload into a carrier

That's what I figured the answer would be. I was thinking about moving a ton of cap mods by fitting them to interceptors and jumping them....

in my dreadnaught :frogc00l:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

bluegoon posted:

ok subbed, how do I get back into the goon guild again?

first you gotta figure out which one is the true goon guild, and I will respect whichever path you choose to walk

Tangerines
Apr 25, 2016

Dumb question: Can you use Skill Extractors remotely like you can injectors?

April Fool
Apr 1, 2016

Tangerines posted:

Unfortunately not.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

Reverand maynard posted:

first you gotta figure out which one is the true goon guild, and I will respect whichever path you choose to walk

Goonswarm

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
Alternatively, other Goonswarm

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Tangerines posted:

protip: do not haul the extractors to your characters in 0.0 then haul the filled injectors back to jita.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Landsknecht posted:

you have a pretty high setup cost - 1 carrier per system usually, which is 3-7 carriers depending on where you are

once you have that though, and standings of 7+, you're good to go; just watch out for the lowsec inhabitants who "own" these constellations and love probing out caps

Wouldn't it be even safer now because you have no range problems? You can align towards your warp out point 100% of the time and never have to worry about losing lock for your fighters.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
In the process of learning ninja gas harvesting. Just made 21 mil in an hour, which I know the grand scheme is minuscule but I think it's decent for a 5 day old trial account.

Question: I know that the time limit is around 20 minutes before the sleepers arrive. When I leave the site at say 17 minutes, will the sleepers still arrive even though I am gone? and if so how long until they leave so that I can come back and get the rest of the gas?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

the Gaffe posted:

In the process of learning ninja gas harvesting. Just made 21 mil in an hour, which I know the grand scheme is minuscule but I think it's decent for a 5 day old trial account.

Question: I know that the time limit is around 20 minutes before the sleepers arrive. When I leave the site at say 17 minutes, will the sleepers still arrive even though I am gone? and if so how long until they leave so that I can come back and get the rest of the gas?

the timer for arrival is dependent on when the first person warp to the site, so leaving, and coming back, or having multiple people come in, doesn't effect when the rats will spawn.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg

the timer for arrival is dependent on when the first person warp to the site, so leaving, and coming back, or having multiple people come in, doesn't effect when the rats will spawn.

Do the rats never de-spawn then?

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

the Gaffe posted:

usually at downtime, though I'm not sure they do it 100% of the time

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

the Gaffe posted:

Typically an organized daytrip group will bring in both huffers and pve ships. They trigger all of the gas timers and then do sleeper sites for 15 minutes. Then they hit all of the gas sites, clear the sleepers, and the miners are free to do their thing.

As a solo newbie your best bet is to just find a hole with a lot of gas signatures and move every 15 mins.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

nessin posted:

Wouldn't it be even safer now because you have no range problems? You can align towards your warp out point 100% of the time and never have to worry about losing lock for your fighters.

probably, but you could also get scanned down by a non-d-scannable recon then dropped

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

I might have to throw an application in to [RVCMF] since this corp I'm in is pretty much dead. Then I could putter around in my Skiff and munch space rocks.

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS
The bastion module's new 1000% sensor strength bonus is insane. You can't get a hit on a golem using a single eccm scripted sensor booster + unmindlinked sensor integrity link using a max skilled tengu with 2 of each scanning midslots, 2 scanning rigs, sister's probe launcher, sister's probes and mid-grade virtue alpha - delta (adding any other implants gets you a hit).

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

Landsknecht posted:

probably, but you could also get scanned down by a non-d-scannable recon then dropped

Probes show up on dscan though.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Xenothral posted:

I might have to throw an application in to [RVCMF] since this corp I'm in is pretty much dead. Then I could putter around in my Skiff and munch space rocks.

is the corp you're in goonwaffe?

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS

Landsknecht posted:

You can warp to L5s at range if you have someone in fleet (you don't get the warp at range options if you don't the ability to fleet warp or a bookmark on grid). Anyone who warps to the mission grid warp to the beacon. If they warp to the probe result at 100, they will warp to the beacon at 100 from the direction they came from. So assuming they aren't warping from the same celestial cluster as you, they won't land on top of you.

One thing that did change with this patch is carrier's signature radius, so you're a bit easier to probe, but you can have eccm scripted sensor boosters to make it a bit harder.

Between those two things and the fact that you can align in 15 seconds without mwding (to avoid sig bloom) and warp at 4au/s+...I'd say that L5s are still comically safe.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
The community in this game has been pretty great to me. Been learning completely on my own and so far 3/4 deaths (https://zkillboard.com/character/96396842/) the player who killed me reimbursed the value of my cargo and sent me an email apologizing since they saw I was a brand new player. Each death was due to an overlook on my part that I've learned from.

Is there a way to check from a killmail to see what an attacking player had equipped? Or does it only show everything for the killed player. I'm trying to figure out if my latest death was due to the player pinning down the two warp cores on the Venture or my ship was simply having trouble re-aligning to my jump point after the player bumped into me.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

the Gaffe posted:

Is there a way to check from a killmail to see what an attacking player had equipped? Or does it only show everything for the killed player. I'm trying to figure out if my latest death was due to the player pinning down the two warp cores on the Venture or my ship was simply having trouble re-aligning to my jump point after the player bumped into me.

Not directly, you can only see the weapon they used (and zkillboard can be kind of screwy with that). However if you look at their losses you can usually figure out what they were doing. If your venture had a couple warp core stabs plus its native bonus, and the other guy doesn't typically fly with dual scrams, you probably just didn't warp in time.

Also, if the dude was nice enough to reimburse you he'd probably be happy to give you advice and tell you how he got you if you ask.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Landsknecht posted:

is the corp you're in goonwaffe?

hey no, bad

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Interceptors aren't generally useful in w-space, so I imagine that guy who killed you fit specifically for the job, Gaffe. He probably had two warp scramblers or a disruptor and a scrambler to overcome the Venture's innate warp core stabilization.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
I've added a stab to my low slot to circumvent this in the future.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the Gaffe posted:

The community in this game has been pretty great to me. Been learning completely on my own and so far 3/4 deaths (https://zkillboard.com/character/96396842/) the player who killed me reimbursed the value of my cargo and sent me an email apologizing since they saw I was a brand new player. Each death was due to an overlook on my part that I've learned from.

You can look at their losses to see their fits. If you die to a svipul you can look at his losses to see how he fits his svipul. You can also get a general idea based on the range they engaged from and what modules they used on you.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wrong thread.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg

Reverand maynard posted:

You can look at their losses to see their fits. If you die to a svipul you can look at his losses to see how he fits his svipul. You can also get a general idea based on the range they engaged from and what modules they used on you.

I'm still in the immediate blind panic phase whenever anyone begins attacking me :(

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

I loled lightly, out loud.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Roughly how many characters and SP do you need to get into T2 Invention and Production ?

Tangerines
Apr 25, 2016

objectively bad posted:

You can warp to L5s at range if you have someone in fleet (you don't get the warp at range options if you don't the ability to fleet warp or a bookmark on grid). Anyone who warps to the mission grid warp to the beacon. If they warp to the probe result at 100, they will warp to the beacon at 100 from the direction they came from. So assuming they aren't warping from the same celestial cluster as you, they won't land on top of you.

One thing that did change with this patch is carrier's signature radius, so you're a bit easier to probe, but you can have eccm scripted sensor boosters to make it a bit harder.

Between those two things and the fact that you can align in 15 seconds without mwding (to avoid sig bloom) and warp at 4au/s+...I'd say that L5s are still comically safe.

Quick question: How do you know which systems to locate your carriers in?

E: I've never felt the need to actually do missions. So have zero knowledge of how the mechanics of them work. Any info would be appreciated.

Tangerines fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Apr 29, 2016

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS

Tangerines posted:

Quick question: How do you know which systems to locate your carriers in?

E: I've never felt the need to actually do missions. So have zero knowledge of how the mechanics of them work. Any info would be appreciated.

The blitzable missions will always be in the agent's constellation.

Tangerines
Apr 25, 2016

objectively bad posted:

The blitzable missions will always be in the agent's constellation.

Cheers! Follow up then, how do you know which missions to take? Assuming this is something you can look up but I'm unsure what I should be looking for in the mission.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Tangerines posted:

Cheers! Follow up then, how do you know which missions to take? Assuming this is something you can look up but I'm unsure what I should be looking for in the mission.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/3f3ed6/level_5_mission_guide/

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Can someone :science: me a good (subjective) fit for Level 3's? Preferably Missile based.

I just lost a drake and think there's probably something better.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Is HoleSquad still a thing? I remember at the start when we got evicted about 3 times in a row. Still made hella cash though

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Given you say preferably missile based, I think that the angry roofing shingle might be your best bet. Well, this side of a Tengu.

6x launchers of your choice.
2x Ballistic Control System II
3x Medium Core Defensive Purger II
1x Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
2x Medium Shield Extender II
2x Shield Power Relay II
3x Shield Recharger II

You have one utility highslot left over which you can put whatever in. I'd suggest a tractor beam (because slowboating to mission cans is almost as bad as everything else about missions) or a probe launcher (so that you can find a low-level wormhole and lose your drake again).

I have left the above setup unattended orbiting an MTU in a L3 mission for 2 hours, so unless you're going out of your way to rack up the spawns you should be OK.

Downsides: you will probably die of boredom IRL waiting for things to die.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

IPCRESS posted:

Given you say preferably missile based, I think that the angry roofing shingle might be your best bet. Well, this side of a Tengu.

Downsides: you will probably die of boredom IRL waiting for things to die.

I like the look of a drake :colbert:

What would make things die faster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
A rattlesnake?

But in the cheap seats: faction/t2 ammo and 2x T2 Hammerheads5x T2 Hobgoblin

edit: No DDAs, so 5 hobs > mixture of medium & lights

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 29, 2016

• Locked thread