Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Vintersorg posted:

I need to go back and watch some of those movies, I remember as a kid loving Hard to Kill, Marked for Death, Out for Justice etc.

Which is the one where he grows a giant beard and then comes out to kick rear end after he's done meditating?

Hard to Kill.

I also like Out for Justice, where he takes on a bar full of guys with a cue ball in a handkerchief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

10 Beers posted:

Hard to Kill.

I also like Out for Justice, where he takes on a bar full of guys with a cue ball in a handkerchief.

ANYBODY SEEN RICHIE?!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
"Whose hot dog is this?! Is it yours?!"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Which is the one where he wakes up from a two year coma and starts kicking rear end from the hospital bed he's being wheeled out on? Wiggle your big toe? gently caress that I'm going to kill you with my big toe!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

kiimo posted:

Which is the one where he wakes up from a two year coma and starts kicking rear end from the hospital bed he's being wheeled out on? Wiggle your big toe? gently caress that I'm going to kill you with my big toe!

That's still Hard To Kill.

Out For Justice > Hard To Kill > Marked For Death > Every other Segal movie

It's crazy how good Out For Justice is, but I think that has more to do with Forsythe being one hell of a villain.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, no love for On Deadly Ground? That one's my favorite because it's the one where Segal stops an environmental disaster by causing a bigger environmental disaster while killing the poo poo out of mooks, R. Lee Ermey, John C. McGinley, and Michael Caine.

You also get four solid minutes of Segal's version of An Inconvenient Truth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz2NeCowTwU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Remember the reality show that followed Steven Seagal as an actual* police officer?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Seagal:_Lawman

*His rank is pretty much just ceremonial

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Evil Mastermind posted:

Man, no love for On Deadly Ground? That one's my favorite because it's the one where Segal stops an environmental disaster by causing a bigger environmental disaster while killing the poo poo out of mooks, R. Lee Ermey, John C. McGinley, and Michael Caine.

You also get four solid minutes of Segal's version of An Inconvenient Truth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz2NeCowTwU

"youre a man, big balls between your legs!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXuYMzu5_xs

I love the added ADR on this with the crowd saying poo poo.

Violator
May 15, 2003

10 Beers posted:

Hard to Kill.

I love that scene. I'm still waiting for Out for Justice to catch on culturally like Kickboxer and Bloodsport did. It's got so much awesome bad stuff in it. Seagal is even wackier in real life than JCVD was.

Edit: For a little while, Seagal played the absolutely perfect quiet bad rear end who completely wrecked people. Along with Vin Diesel in Knockaround Guys, he plays the "walks into a dangerous bar" the best.

Violator fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 11, 2016

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The only good seagal movie is Under Siege and that's mostly cuz of the stripper and tommy lee jones

But mostly the stripper

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!

You're not gonna have a face when I'm done with you.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Seagal's fighting style was very different for the time as well, and people responded to it. It wasn't fancy spin kicks(well, maybe a few here and there), it was quick decisive movements and more free flowing Aikido type stuff.

I originaly compared him to Liam Neeson, which was obviously a poo poo comparison overall, but I think the fighting style is what made me think of it. Neeson uses a very similar style in Taken, I assume a major part of that was to cover for the fact that Neeson is like 60 years old and wouldn't be able to do a lot of typical action hero stuff.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

ruddiger posted:

It's crazy how good Out For Justice is, but I think that has more to do with Forsythe being one hell of a villain.

For years, all of my out of state friends would give me poo poo about Fire Down Below. "See? Kentucky is just full of hillbillies." "You remind me of that guy from Fire Down Below," etc. Fuckin, Fire Down Below.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Aikido stuff is cool, but the way Seagal does stunts makes it look like he's afraid to be touched but will absolutely wallop the poo poo out of an extra. It makes him look like a complete rear end in a top hat and that's always stuck with me.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Didn't Seagal challenge JCVD to a fight at one of JCVD's parties, and then run away? I've never seen a Seagal movie, but that anecdote sticks with me.

Violator
May 15, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The Aikido stuff is cool, but the way Seagal does stunts makes it look like he's afraid to be touched but will absolutely wallop the poo poo out of an extra. It makes him look like a complete rear end in a top hat and that's always stuck with me.

He also runs with sissy arms, but that's part of his charm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkskuSXqUD0

:kiddo:

Edit: Damnit, beaten by like a page and a half.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

This story should make you smile, then.

Years ago, the legendary "Judo" Gene LeBell worked on Out for Justice. Seagal was probably at the height of his fame (and conversely, his egomania). Seagal loudly claims he cannot be choked out.

Bad move.

quote:

As it goes, in 1991, Gene LeBell was working as a stunt coordinator on Out for Justice. At some point Seagal announced that due to his Aikido training, he was immune to chokes. When then 58-year-old LeBell heard about the claim, he gave Seagal the opportunity to test it. LeBell set the choke up, Seagal said "Go" and Seagal promptly went. As the story goes, Seagal went to sleep and went #1 and #2 in his pants. Ever since, either because of a rumored legal gag order (see action figure for confirmation), or because in the stunt business what happens on the set stays on the set, LeBell has never confirmed the story.

There 2 lessons here:

1. Don't gently caress with Gene LeBell.
2. The open mouth catches many feet.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 11, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Is the story about Anderson Silva learning the front face kick from Seagal bullshit?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I've seen mirrored signs on posters but nobody went all the way like this:

It's either a giant or those trees are pretty thin:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Is the story about Anderson Silva learning the front face kick from Seagal bullshit?

Probably. He claims Lyoto Machida and Anderson Silva are both "students of his", but considering how different they are stylistically from Seagal's base style of Aikido, I can't buy that. He also claims he'd destroy Randy Couture.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 11, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The idea of someone speaking English understanding a loving word coming out of Steven Seagal's mouth is funny enough, much less Anderson Silva.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I'm curious about "see action figure for confirmation"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

morestuff posted:

I'm curious about "see action figure for confirmation"

http://cdn2.cagepotato.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/SEAGAL.jpg

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
lol "emergency supply of hair triangles"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I totally forgot he used to tell people he killed for the CIA or some poo poo.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mierenneuker posted:

My favorite Steven Seagal movie is The Glimmer Man in which he grabs a scalpel and removes a dead woman's silicone implant despite not being a coroner (or doctor of any kind). He also determines the woman's nationality by her cheekbones.

Edit: looked it up, :nws: because of nice tits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuhFdhS3NXc

Does whoever wrote this film think Georgia is just a region of Russia and not a country with it's own culture and a language that's is totally unrelated to Russian?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

When you go back and watch Segal movies, you realize that his characters are never challenged. Nobody is capable of holding a candle to him, because he sets up every fight scene so he never gets hit but obliterates everyone with one punch. You can watch his effort decline in every movie.

No ring 0/10

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

When you go back and watch Segal movies, you realize that his characters are never challenged. Nobody is capable of holding a candle to him, because he sets up every fight scene so he never gets hit but obliterates everyone with one punch. You can watch his effort decline in every movie.

No ring 0/10

The fight with Forsythe in Out For Justice is so viciously one-sided, it borders on the obscene. Then Segal stabs a corkscrew in the top of his head.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

oldpainless posted:

The only good seagal movie is Under Siege and that's mostly cuz of the stripper and tommy lee jones

But mostly the stripper

Funny way of spelling Executive Decision.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

I originaly compared him to Liam Neeson, which was obviously a poo poo comparison overall, but I think the fighting style is what made me think of it. Neeson uses a very similar style in Taken, I assume a major part of that was to cover for the fact that Neeson is like 60 years old and wouldn't be able to do a lot of typical action hero stuff.

Neeson's style always struck me as more Kenpo/Kempo with short hard strikes that left a lot of options for combinations. Seagull was always Akido and mostly relied on redirection and flow. It was definitely a novel style of fighting in the movies and I love his early I'm-somewhat-in-shape pre heavy breathing movies.

Sirotan posted:

Funny way of spelling Executive Decision.

I remember an apocryphal story that Russell and Seagal *hated* each other. Seagal was going to basically be the character Leguizamo played, but to keep Russell they had to re-write to kill off Seagal early on.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 11, 2016

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

ruddiger posted:

Under Siege is his masterpiece.

Batcrap crazy Tommy Lee Jones, a stripper, a battleship.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

flosofl posted:

Neeson's style always struck me as more Kenpo/Kempo with short hard strikes that left a lot of options for combinations. Seagull was always Akido and mostly relied on redirection and flow. It was definitely a novel style of fighting in the movies and I love his early I'm-somewhat-in-shape pre heavy breathing movies.

I remember an apocryphal story that Russell and Seagal *hated* each other. Seagal was going to basically be the character Leguizamo played, but to keep Russell they had to re-write to kill off Seagal early on.

From what I heard, and this is somewhat apocryphal, that was basically it for Seagal's career in Hollywood as far as big productions were concerned. He already had a history of pissing people off, and it was the last straw. Obviously he still makes movies, but they're all short budgeted DTV flicks that only hardcore fans watch.

I agree that having a star who uses Aikido is cool and novel though, it's really a shame he's such a tool.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

There's always Jeff Speakman, AKA The Perfect Weapon.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

kiimo posted:

There's always Michael dudikoff, AKA The American Ninja.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kiimo posted:

There's always Jeff Speakman, AKA The Perfect Weapon.

Kenpo. Again.

My teacher is a good friend of his and he's les some classes when he's in town.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Shadow of The Vampire, Dogville, My Son My Son What Have Ye Done?, Manderlay

who was he in Dogville?

he was definitely my favorite part of Melancholia

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Tony Jaa and the dude(s) from The Raid really should have gotten huge American roles by now.

Like as silly as the Marvel movies are would you really lose anything by introducing raid dude as Iron Fist at this point?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Tony Jaa and the dude(s) from The Raid really should have gotten huge American roles by now.

the completely thankless cameo for the Raid dudes in the new Star Wars was such bullshit

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Agreed. Was one of them the lightsaber "traitor!" guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

kiimo posted:

Agreed. Was one of them the lightsaber "traitor!" guy?

Nah, that was another guy. They showed up as the dipshits who get indistinctly wrecked by the beholders on Han's freighter.