Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yes, that issue, and the issue before it, were literally all about Cap and Bucky captured by Nazis and brainwashed/tortured. It was 100% clear that it was in no way the 'real' Captain America at any point since like every other page Red Skull was all 'muahahaha soon Captain America will be our puppet to go murder I want to say Allied generals or some other dumb plan!' There was no 'fake-out' factor, there was no 'hey, big things coming, big changes for Cap' hype, it was literally always a brainwashing story from the very beginning of the issues.

It is true that the Joe Q. era of blatantly lying in press releases about everything has gotten a bit old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Nick Spencer writing a lovely story about a man being revealed as a stupid racist is just him using that age old piece of advice; write what you know.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Toxxupation posted:

. If anything, I would argue that Miles is the more popular one, especially since Miles seems to be the latest teen hero that Marvel pushes to do the the Spider-Man story (whose focus changes every decade or so, starting with Peter back in 1961 and running through Nova (Richard Rider) in the 70s, Rogue/Kitty Pryde in the 80s, Darkhawk in the 90s, Ultimate Spider-Man in the 2000s and Miles in the 2010s, with some Kamala Khan as well).
I mean...

Books Starring Peter Parker
code:
10	Amazing Spider-Man		10	$3.99	Marvel	73,643
12	Amazing Spider-Man		11	$3.99	Marvel	67,446
15	Spider-Man Deadpool		4	$3.99	Marvel	64,931
Books Starring Miles Morales
code:
20	Spider-Man			3	$3.99	Marvel	59,789
30	All New All Different Avengers	8	$3.99	Marvel	51,925
They also just cast a third Peter Parker for the movies. And looking at the Marvel website there is a Peter Parker Spider-Man Mastercard, and out of 89 "Spider-Man" branded items on the webstore, there's exactly one thing (a Tsum Tsum) of Miles Morales Spider-Man.

To be clear I'm not saying Marvel is racist or marginalizing Miles Morales or anything super sinister or lovely, I'm just saying there's really no way to argue Miles Morales is more popular that Peter Parker, and even putting him into that shaky narrative of "the latest teen hero Marvel pushes to do the Spider-Man story" thing is not a vote of confidence in Miles seeing as the actual lineage of that is basically the original Nova series, Speedball, Darkhawk, and Sleepwalker.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Shameless posted:

Mockingbird continues to be excellent though, as does Hellcat. I'm pretty much a teenage girl in my tastes at the moment.

Me too. Basically if Marvel has a book that has a young woman in the head lead, i'm buying it if i can. I'd be buying Silk and Spider-Woman if I could afford it.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
If Marvel hosed up here, it's by making a new #1 that isn't a good jumping on point. As we've seen, the comic only makes sense if you read some Pleasant Hill stuff and probably all of Sam Wilson. That's just how comics are written nowadays, but they probably shouldn't have made a new #1 to do it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

JoshTheStampede posted:

That's just how comics are written nowadays, but they probably shouldn't have made a new #1 to do it.

marvel.txt

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

TwoPair posted:

marvel.txt

"Only our 2nd #1 this year!"

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
At this point who would Marvel's most prominent gay hero (outside of Mutants, and Young Avengers, and alternate-universe characters) even be right now?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Probably Angela. Even though her book's canceled, it was pretty spectacularly gay.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Diet Poison posted:

At this point who would Marvel's most prominent gay hero (outside of Mutants, and Young Avengers, and alternate-universe characters) even be right now?

Well, if you discount Mutants and former Young Avengers, that gets rid of the 5 gay heroes I can think of off the top of my head. 6 if you count Northstar who I don't even know where he is nowadays.

E: 7 if you count both Bobbys.

Luchacabra
Jun 12, 2015

The one good thing about HydraCap for me, is that it hopefully explains some of Steve's actions in that FCBD issue. I wasn't a fan of him interrogating that guy with his laser shield, and I was really skeeved out by him declaring a War on Terror Hydra.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
here, for trolling purposes.

EDIT: poo poo, didn't seem that big on facebook. Why doesn't image attach automatically timg things?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

It is true that the Joe Q. era of blatantly lying in press releases about everything has gotten a bit old.
:agreed:

Luchacabra posted:

The one good thing about HydraCap for me, is that it hopefully explains some of Steve's actions in that FCBD issue. I wasn't a fan of him interrogating that guy with his laser shield, and I was really skeeved out by him declaring a War on Terror Hydra.

Is Spencer going to use it for that issue of Secret Avengers where Cap punches out NotSnowden?

Soonmot posted:

EDIT: poo poo, didn't seem that big on facebook. Why doesn't image attach automatically timg things?

This isn't the Ruin the Moment thread! Nicely done, though.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Edge & Christian posted:

I mean...

Books Starring Peter Parker
code:
10	Amazing Spider-Man		10	$3.99	Marvel	73,643
12	Amazing Spider-Man		11	$3.99	Marvel	67,446
15	Spider-Man Deadpool		4	$3.99	Marvel	64,931

Books Starring Miles Morales
code:
20	Spider-Man			3	$3.99	Marvel	59,789
30	All New All Different Avengers	8	$3.99	Marvel	51,925
They also just cast a third Peter Parker for the movies. And looking at the Marvel website there is a Peter Parker Spider-Man Mastercard, and out of 89 "Spider-Man" branded items on the webstore, there's exactly one thing (a Tsum Tsum) of Miles Morales Spider-Man.

To be clear I'm not saying Marvel is racist or marginalizing Miles Morales or anything super sinister or lovely, I'm just saying there's really no way to argue Miles Morales is more popular that Peter Parker, and even putting him into that shaky narrative of "the latest teen hero Marvel pushes to do the Spider-Man story" thing is not a vote of confidence in Miles seeing as the actual lineage of that is basically the original Nova series, Speedball, Darkhawk, and Sleepwalker.

You're making me miss New Warriors again. And my faint hope that Night Thrasher's resurrection will bring back the series for another 5 issues.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Soonmot posted:

the best one of these I've seen.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Diet Poison posted:

Why outside of mutants? I mean, Iceman coming out was the hot story not even a whole year ago. But the internet sure forgot about Iceman quick. I guess he's not in movies though. But then, the internet's a fickle thing, I'm sure Twitter will latch on to some new and exciting hashtag by the time I get off work tonight.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 27, 2016

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
#GiveVultureHairPlugs

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Luchacabra posted:

The one good thing about HydraCap for me is that Cap might finally get a good costume again. We all know Hugo Boss is still goosestepping behind closed doors.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

TwoPair posted:

Why outside of mutants? I mean, Iceman coming out was the hot story not even a whole year ago. But the internet sure forgot about Iceman quick. I guess he's not in movies though. But then, the internet's a fickle thing, I'm sure Twitter will latch on to some new and exciting hashtag by the time I get off work tonight.

Because I follow the X-books pretty closely and I don't need anyone to list the gay mutants for me. You can also argue that the mutants aren't high-publicity characters anymore because of movie rights blah blah, but mostly that first point. There's a ton of books I don't follow. Turns out the answer is "probably Angela" whom I did not know was gay.

They should make a villain gay, to see what it makes Internet People do. The villains on Trailer Park Boys (a drunk piece of poo poo and a shirtless former male prostitute) are both bisexual and the show won awards for it, because nobody treated them any differently because of their sexuality.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Diet Poison posted:

Because I follow the X-books pretty closely and I don't need anyone to list the gay mutants for me. You can also argue that the mutants aren't high-publicity characters anymore because of movie rights blah blah, but mostly that first point. There's a ton of books I don't follow. Turns out the answer is "probably Angela" whom I did not know was gay.

They should make a villain gay, to see what it makes Internet People do. The villains on Trailer Park Boys (a drunk piece of poo poo and a shirtless former male prostitute) are both bisexual and the show won awards for it, because nobody treated them any differently because of their sexuality.

The highest profile gay character in Marvel right now is probably America Chavez, by virtue of being on a high-profile team and having her sexuality actually come up in her backstory. Wiccan and Hulking may win instead for being an on-screen gay relationship in a super team, complete with scenes where they go to talk to Scarlet Witch (Wiccan's mom) to discuss wedding plans. Iceman is probably the most well known character in general, but not recently and his sexuality was more of a "huh, ok, guess I am a gay man" thing than a major part of his character.

Making a villain gay is a less good idea because the subtle gay/effeminate coding of male villains has been a thing for a long time. Someone could pull it off well but a lot of people wouldn't.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Making a villain gay is a less good idea because the subtle gay/effeminate coding of male villains has been a thing for a long time. Someone could pull it off well but a lot of people wouldn't.

This is why the world is filled with Basils. Lord Henry's much more fun.

The solution is to hire some queer writers and let them create queer villains.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Not major characters or anything but the new Giant Man is gay. So is the kinda/sorta villain in Spider-Man 2099, Glorianna.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Just saw this was "most prominent hero" which there isn't much competition for outside of people in the X-Men/Young Avengers franchises, but in terms of current LGBTQ representation in current Marvel comics here is an incomplete list:

There is a lesbian couple as the secondary protagonists/possible antagonists in TNC's new Black Panther run.

POD in New Avengers is a lesbian bonded with some sort of alien battle armor which does not have a sexuality.

Machinesmith is a gay robot in Ant-Man.

They don't appear that much at the moment, but Peter Parker's old Horizon Labs boss is gay and Spider-Man attended his wedding a year or two ago.

Patsy Walker's best friend is a gay dude and her new roommate is a bisexual man.

Victoria Montesi (from the 1990s Midnight Sons books) is a lesbian and is currently appearing in Carnage.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I guess before her title was cancelled that Angela would have been the most prominent just by virtue of being the only one with a solo title.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Newsarama has an interview with Brevoort about the Cap stuff.

quote:

Nrama: Newsarama has already drawn our own conclusions about this – which some people are already disagreeing with – but just to clarify, straight from the horse’s mouth, is Captain America a Nazi?

Brevoort: No, Captain America is not a Nazi.

Nrama: He is a Hydra agent – or so it seems. We don’t think Marvel is suggesting Cap being a Hydra agent has been the secret 50 year plan that Stan Lee kicked off in Avengers #4, so when you suggest a retcon like this we think it’s fair to ask about its plausibility. So we’ll just ask flat out – is Captain America an agent of Hydra? Like, for real?

Brevoort: [laughs] I’m gonna say the same thing I’ve been saying. Captain America: Steve Rogers #2 will explain exactly why and exactly how we are where we are. And once that comes out in a few weeks, people will be able to understand what that last page actually means, and what it represents to the Marvel Universe moving forward.

At the same time, while I’d like to quell all the fear and the outrage about this, I have to protect the story, so I cannot tell you what that story is before we release the book. The answers to your questions are literally one issue away.

Nrama: So this will explain how hundreds of Captain America stories told over the last 50 years, many of which driven by his internal monologue, how that still allows him to be a secret Hydra agent?

Brevoort: Yes. Issue #2 is all about this very question. Literally, we wind the clock back and show you exactly what is going on, and exactly what has brought us to this point and what it’s all about.

http://www.newsarama.com/29507-marvel-on-captain-america-hydra-hubbub-not-every-story-is-for-every-reader.html

The preview art for the next issue also seems to feature Red Skull and the Cosmic Cube prominently.

They also have an article up looking at the history of Hydra in the comics and why the people claiming Cap is a Nazi is probably because of the movie's interpretation of Hydra more than the comics where the link between Hydra and Nazis is not as direct as most think.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

People trying to rewrite history and say Kirby and Lee always meant for Hydra to be the Nazis aren't helping. Yes, they're almost impossible to differentiate now, but the creators' contribution to those stories was to write Hydra as the Marvel universe version of Spectre.

There's been a lot of talk about what Jack Kirby and Joe Simon would have wanted that's, honestly, kind of gross and appropriative.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 28, 2016

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Amazing Spider-Man had a gay wedding recently and nobody batted an eye.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TFRazorsaw posted:

There's been a lot of talk about what Jack Kirby and Joe Simon would have wanted that's, honestly, kind of gross and appropriative.

Jack Kirby wanted to punch Stan Lee in the balls, that's all I can say with conviction.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Marvel has something magical in Howard the Duck and Squirrel Girl. Both books have actually managed to make me laugh out loud while reading them, including this month's Squirrel Girl. The dating montage is so incredible.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The bit with the Sentinel is just a great punchline. Squirrel Girl is really something special.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Little Mac posted:

Marvel has something magical in Howard the Duck and Squirrel Girl. Both books have actually managed to make me laugh out loud while reading them, including this month's Squirrel Girl. The dating montage is so incredible.

Hellcat feels like it's trying too hard sometimes while SG is just so perfect. That dating scene could have been awful in so many ways, instead it was perfect.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Squirrel Girls book seems to go back and forth between amazing and kind of missing the mark for me from week to week.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh yeah I forgot Cap's new shield was in this. Haha, how terrible/gimmicky was it?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

SynthOrange posted:

Oh yeah I forgot Cap's new shield was in this. Haha, how terrible/gimmicky was it?

I honesty didn't really notice it except that they had a couple lines about how it was different and Cap had to adjust to the new style. I'm willing to give the whole shield thing a pass because of that variant Skottie Young cover.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jun 1, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Johnny Storm's balls welcome you to the Inhumans.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Civil War II: Tony is still wrong and dumb

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

Pretty terrible. They're trying to do the thing where it can do things other than being a shield/throwing weapon and that never really works out.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

Johnny Storm's balls welcome you to the Inhumans.

This looks like a clumsy photoshop fix over an original image that had Johnny going full Doc Manhattan.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It finally happened. Bendis is worse than Millar now. He's been slipping for a long time now, but man... I really liked Ultimate Spider-Man! :( Sunrise, sunset

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Why is Spider-man about to web himself in the face on the cover of CW2 #1?

• Locked thread