Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

So like 40 new hidden achievements and this tweet:

https://twitter.com/BillMunkII/status/737005513439875072

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
hans will remain untouched

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Junkie Disease posted:

If payday 2 can stop the microtransaction fuckery Tripwire could.

Wait, did they finally ditch that? It's been so long since I've had it installed or checked the thread...

Theta Zero posted:

What if there's two? What if you need to shoot something but the Siren is screaming? Like if a teammate is getting swarmed and needs help immediately? What if she's walking over some C4 you placed down? What if you missed your grenade and you're waiting on it to detonate based off of time? What if you're trying to kill a Scrake with a rocket launcher headshot, but there's a Siren behind him and now he's in attack range while you can do nothing? A brief gap doesn't change the fact that she severely gimps Demo, unless you're just saying that for the sake of semantics.

Christ, no need to get so snippy. I was just catching up on the thread and saw like a dozen mentions over the past 5 pages of how demos were 100% useless against sirens when that went directly against my personal experience. It's not a great solution and I agree that siren resistance should probably be turned into a passive skill, but there's no need to jump down my throat about it.

Same. Those changes to demo and commando might not be perfect but they look real appealing given they're my two favorite classes.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Christ, no need to get so snippy. I was just catching up on the thread and saw like a dozen mentions over the past 5 pages of how demos were 100% useless against sirens when that went directly against my personal experience. It's not a great solution and I agree that siren resistance should probably be turned into a passive skill, but there's no need to jump down my throat about it.

I wasn't trying to be snippy, it's just that saying Siren doesn't completely gimp Demo without the resistance perk is critical levels of Mega Wrong™.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I wish headless monsters lost tracking and just started swinging. I'm not saying take the Dead Space route and make headshots a bad idea but just mke it so they can't perfectly track you anymore.

Now I'm just thinking how fun a Dead Space game using the MEAT system would be. I wish EA didn't systematically execute every franchise and company they get their hands on.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Or Soldier of Fortune...

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Wait, did they finally ditch that? It's been so long since I've had it installed or checked the thread...

There's still marketplace and safe drops. But once the next update hits, any safe you get can be opened for free without having to pay for a drill.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Theta Zero posted:

I wish EA didn't systematically execute every franchise and company they get their hands on.

EA buying Tripwire would probably be considered a mercy killing.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Theta Zero posted:

Now I'm just thinking how fun a Dead Space game using the MEAT system would be. I wish EA didn't systematically execute every franchise and company they get their hands on.

Modding KF2 to a Deadspace like would be pretty awesome honestly, and actually make a lot of sense in universe for all the game mechanics.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

MadBimber posted:

hans will remain untouched
even if not, doesn't matter, earth has been salted already, overwatch etc

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

when update

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Berserk revamp and Sharpshooter previews: http://steamcommunity.com/games/232090/announcements/detail/932623015631920813

I like the Berserker one a lot. Sharpshooter tree seems perfectly good, too.

Hans is getting changed, but only the shield/heal. :(

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Depending on how that works, the ability to interrupt his stupid loving heal will be nice, but you frequently have a single-digit number of seconds to get hits in before the heal/drain. We'll have to see how that plays out.

i mean at least they're considering changing Hans only 14 months after launching the game, right?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Lemon-Lime posted:

Berserk revamp and Sharpshooter previews: http://steamcommunity.com/games/232090/announcements/detail/932623015631920813

I like the Berserker one a lot. Sharpshooter tree seems perfectly good, too.

Hans is getting changed, but only the shield/heal. :(

Could someone explain to me how shotguns would be bad against stalkers? Because the only way I can imagine that being anywhere close to a passing resemblance of reality would be if they gave stalkers incredibly high shotgun specific resistances for "weapon balance, I guess?".

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
To be fair, a lot of this is just game conceits to balance things. Are there many things in the real world that are resistant to a direct grenade launcher hit but not to a pistol, for example?
To head-off what is likely to be a huge list of things that defeat my argument, don't try and fit all of it into the real world is what I'm saying. The thin veneer of reality will start to tear away real quick.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I think it means that Stalkers are very mobile enemies that are harder to see, and since shotguns are not known for their rate of fire, missing can open you up to be hit. It is not a straight up "these things have extra resistance" and more like a general design outline.

I mean, most bullet weapons are marked as bad against Bloats and it is likely he won't suffer afflictions from them, and he takes a lot of bullets if you're not popping his head. At least that's how I am reading that outline, unless they are literally overhauling a lot more of the game than this lets on.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Gromit posted:

To be fair, a lot of this is just game conceits to balance things. Are there many things in the real world that are resistant to a direct grenade launcher hit but not to a pistol, for example?
To head-off what is likely to be a huge list of things that defeat my argument, don't try and fit all of it into the real world is what I'm saying. The thin veneer of reality will start to tear away real quick.

Oh I meant reality in the sense of "As demonstrated in game", not the usual gamer habit of being highly selective when picking and choosing your Realism/Immersion hills to stand on :v:

My favorite KF2 example of such things being a guy bitching about more standardized weapon pricing letting you more easily know how much dosh to toss a player for a new gun without having to stop and ask them "Ruining immersion and roleplay".

Because clearly, not needing to memorize or consult a wiki's worth of sliding scale per level and class pricings ruins realism far more than throwing neon bricks of cash at eachother. To buy a microwave gun from an airdropped 3D printer. To kill the 100 year old cyborg nazi with your cryogenically frozen WW2 soldier.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

Level 5:
Sniper - Inflict 25% more damage while stationary with sharpshooter weapons
Marksman - Shoot 25% faster and move 10% faster with sharpshooter weapons

Level 10:
Stability - Inflict 30% more damage while crouched
Ballistic Shock - Stun power increased by 100%

Level 15:
Rack ‘em Up - Each consecutive headshot increases your damage by 5% up to 75%
Combat Ready - Reload your weapons faster

Level 20:
Deadeye - Reduce recoil by 10% and increase headshot damage by 10% when aiming
Always Prepared - Get 25% more ammo for sharpshooter weapons and grenades

Level 25:
Assassin - Headshot will knock down any Zed
Ranger - Headshots will stun any zed

Just doing the favor of pointing out for everyone which of these are ever worth picking.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
"Balancing" the weapons against the types of monsters seems really loving stupid, imo.

Consider that 95% of them fire lead.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Section Z posted:

Could someone explain to me how shotguns would be bad against stalkers? Because the only way I can imagine that being anywhere close to a passing resemblance of reality would be if they gave stalkers incredibly high shotgun specific resistances for "weapon balance, I guess?".

I guess maybe they're assuming that since stalkers can often manage to get right up in your face before you notice them it can be a bit hard to hit them with shotgun's slow rate of fire and low ammo? But that's kind of stretching it and goes out the window completely with support's tier 3&4 weapons :shrug:

Psion posted:

Depending on how that works, the ability to interrupt his stupid loving heal will be nice, but you frequently have a single-digit number of seconds to get hits in before the heal/drain. We'll have to see how that plays out.

i mean at least they're considering changing Hans only 14 months after launching the game, right?

Well, sometimes you get lucky and he goes after someone with a movement speed boost, and you end up with 1/2 the team just running after him for 20-30 seconds waiting for him to grab them. With this they could be filling him with lead and maybe breaking his shield.

...which would then lead to him turning around and going after the people firing on him. Hmm.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Just doing the favor of pointing out for everyone which of these are ever worth picking.

I was thinking the same thing. Big ol' list of non-choices with a clear winner on each tier.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Propaganda Hour posted:

I was thinking the same thing. Big ol' list of non-choices with a clear winner on each tier.

Yeah when ever you have clear QoL of make class bearable choices, the only times they are a no brainer is when you make them compete with something just as good.

Demo update: Siren immunity is now a level 10 perk! Competing with a 50% movement speed buff. Just to taunt you.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Section Z posted:

Demo update: Siren immunity is now a level 10 perk! Competing with a 50% movement speed buff. Just to taunt you.

Meh, I played so much demo back in KF1 and here that I can land an M79 round right in the middle of a group from 100 yards away. I don't need no movement bonus.

Propaganda Hour posted:

That +10% headshot damage when aiming sounds kind of nice, but it'll depend entirely on how much bonus damage the class is giving you already.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The more they gently caress with the classes, the more I wish they just ported the poo poo from KF 1 and left them alone except for some small QoL updates.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Skoll posted:

The more they gently caress with the classes, the more I wish they just ported the poo poo from KF 1 and left them alone except for some small QoL updates.

Definitely wish they had left welding like it was in KF1, kinda stupid that they made it so pointless in 2 due to both doors being permanently breakable(and having limited durability even with using the welder, should be one or the other not both), and the way the game spawns Zeds means that they'll often just bypass the door anyways, kinda makes me wonder why they didn't just remove welding entirely since it seems they don't like it very much

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Been so drat busy with school, forgot this fuckin' game was even out. Do we have the ability to cheat up characters to max level like we did in KF1?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Target Practice posted:

Been so drat busy with school, forgot this fuckin' game was even out. Do we have the ability to cheat up characters to max level like we did in KF1?

No, they patched that out. There was a map you used to be able to but it's pretty much useless now. The only way to really do it now is to grind a trainer map.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

That +10% headshot damage when aiming sounds kind of nice, but it'll depend entirely on how much bonus damage the class is giving you already.

It's just hard to get too excited over 10%. I'm hoping some math goons step in and tell us how meaningless this selection of damage increases are. I expect 10% to be literally worthless, but they maybe add up significantly when you're mag dumping?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Gromit posted:

It's just hard to get too excited over 10%. I'm hoping some math goons step in and tell us how meaningless this selection of damage increases are. I expect 10% to be literally worthless, but they maybe add up significantly when you're mag dumping?

Can't say anything interesting without seeing weapon stats. It might make a difference. It might not.

E: I also anticipate resistances being mostly meaningless for small Zeds. They don't have enough head health for it to make a difference, unless the resistances are stupidly high.

I also believe there is a CE thing that you can use to accelerate your levelling.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

http://i.imgur.com/6wbWEN5.gif

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
like was said before, all damage upgrades are entirely pointless unless it crosses a break point. since most damage skills so far aren't designed with that in mind I don't see any reason to think this one will be that useful, unless it's mostly by luck.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Yeah, only one weapon type is Great against Sirens and it's Microwave.

The whole thing is loving stupid, not just the against Sirens. it feels like arbitrary gating to increase... something? I doubt that it's gonna make the game hard, it's just gonna make it more tideous. Also poo poo some more on Commando why don't you, giving everything but trash resistance to assault rifles thanks.
And why another Berserker remake? Wasn't the current one fine?

I mean it's a lot of questionable decisions in one post. I fear that TWI can't break free from the "Left 4 Dead but harder" mentality of KF1, and tries to make this game harder for no purpose, with no good ideas for it and with no success. It's like they're afraid that if they give some power to the players they'll leave ??? Look at the new Parry skill, 5% increase in speed? That's actually nothing. They keep tossing around arbitrary numbers going "oh maybe this will change something" and it just doesn't stick.
Damnit I thought that this game was going places, and I actually like popping in to pop some heads from time to time but as it is, my motivation to do so is dimnishing with every newspost.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Nobody wants to play a game where you can only kill certain enemy types quickly without help. It's not an MMO. Nobody likes feeling less effective.

How does that work when smaller groups hold off different choke points? It was fine before because the terrain would naturally determine who would stand where. Large open area, firebug or commando, small chokepoint, Zerker
or support. Also lol at bloats being vulnerable to fire. Like anyone is going to waste an entire clip on them when you can just decap.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
On the plus side it seems like they got rid of that whole Medic + Berzerker = win necessity because almost every berzerker level gives you the option to have something constantly healing you. Now you can just have two berzerkers. or all berzerkers!

That reminds me that I remember a time when everyone I played with would switch to berzerker for the last wave and just all chainsaw the patriarch to death at once, but we did that because it was funny, not a requirement to actually survive.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

I'd be happy for the Commando getting a ridiculous amount of stumble power with these updates but then Sharps [and Gunslinger] seems to be yet again be way better.

You want a trash clearer? Firebug
Want someone who easily deals with big guys? Sharpshooter, Gunslinger
Want a decent all around class? Medic, Support

Commando doesn't do anything that any other class doesn't already do, except better. So here is my attempt at making the Commando less dumb and bad.

Level 5
Always Prepared: Increase ammo capacity by 25% and magazine capacity by 50%
Lighting Reflexes: Increase reload speed by 50% and weapon switch speed by 25%

Level 10
Squad Mobility: 40% movement speed increase for the Commando and 20% for all allies. Does not stack with similar bonuses.
Squad Endurance: 50% Health increase for the Commando and 25% for all allies. Does not stack with similar bonuses.

Level 15
Suppressive Fire: 150% Stumble Chance Increase, 200% increase in stumble or knock down duration
Designate Target: Shooting a target "Marks" target. Marked targets take 50% more damage from all sources.

Level 20
Shocktrooper Training: 50% less recoil with Commando weapons and 30% more damage with automatic weapons
Grenadier Training: Deal 25% more damage with explosives and increase grenade capacity by 40%

Level 25
Rally!: During Zed time, every Zed kill heals all players by 5HP
Open Fire!: During Zed time never run out of ammo, you and allies fire and reload 25% faster

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

QwertySanchez posted:

That reminds me that I remember a time when everyone I played with would switch to berzerker for the last wave and just all chainsaw the patriarch to death at once, but we did that because it was funny, not a requirement to actually survive.

That's because the chainsaws used to stun lock Pat but they ended up patching that out fairly quick.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

FaustianQ posted:

I'd be happy for the Commando getting a ridiculous amount of stumble power with these updates but then Sharps [and Gunslinger] seems to be yet again be way better.

Commando doesn't do anything that any other class doesn't already do, except better. So here is my attempt at making the Commando less dumb and bad.

Level 5

Level 10
Squad Mobility: 40% movement speed increase for the Commando and 20% for all allies. Does not stack with similar bonuses.
Squad Endurance: 50% Health increase for the Commando and 25% for all allies. Does not stack with similar bonuses.

Level 15
Suppressive Fire: 150% Stumble Chance Increase, 200% increase in stumble or knock down duration
Designate Target: Shooting a target "Marks" target. Marked targets take 50% more damage from all sources.

Level 20
Shocktrooper Training: 50% less recoil with Commando weapons and 30% more damage with automatic weapons
Grenadier Training: Deal 25% more damage with explosives and increase grenade capacity by 40%

Level 25
Open Fire!: During Zed time never run out of ammo, you and allies fire and reload 25% faster

better than most of the stuff I've seen coming out of twi news posts

I'll make a comment that at level 5 that I would make much more use out of the reload perk than the more ammo one, but that may be me spending most of my time shooting crawlers and stalkers

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

Level 5

Level 10

Level 15

Level 20

Level 25

This is a good post. Post it on the forums, maybe the devs will notice that this is a good idea.
Also you missed one thing, there is something unique that the Commando brings to the fray and it's Zed Time Extentions. When everyone is level 25, having Zed Time longer means the level 25 skills work better. And with up to six extentions, that's a lot of Zed Time.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

Level 5

Level 10

Level 15

Level 20

Level 25

As someone who plays mostly as commando all of these ideas sound really good, although I'd say the numbers should be shrunk a little bit. Between showing cloaked units to the whole team, zed time extensions, and boosting reload speed teamwide I like the idea of the commando as a squad force multiplier, rather than having it be dedicated to picking off the crappy little weak enemies.
That guy was right, you should post this to the TWI forums because most of those ideas sound like solid concepts.

Fakeedit: Although instead of marking a specific target one could instead have commandos provide a damage boost to nearby teammates against hard targets like FPs or Scrakes. Forcing the commando to focus fire on big zeds seems pointless given how weak they are against them, and what would be the point of marking weaker ones when the commando will just chew through them regardless?

Realedit: Actually, I might put some thought into fiddling with those perk ideas to make it even more focused on force multiplying. Give me a bit.

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 5, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the movement speed increase perk as it is written is a non-choice. movement speed is better than just about anything else in the game and +20% to the entire team is completely loving absurd. i haven't played the game in a few months but i certainly can't think of too many precedents for buffing the team speed like that either, so what 'similar effects' would it even have?

just make it an armor/health duality, 20% armor/10% allies or 50% health/25% allies. the armor is generally more valuable due to the DR it implies but there's less of it and it can't be healed. if i cared more i'd go find exactly what the DR numbers are so you could mathematically hash it out to be similar in value to the added health but i

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Coolguye posted:

the movement speed increase perk as it is written is a non-choice. movement speed is better than just about anything else in the game and +20% to the entire team is completely loving absurd. i haven't played the game in a few months but i certainly can't think of too many precedents for buffing the team speed like that either, so what 'similar effects' would it even have?

just make it an armor/health duality, 20% armor/10% allies or 50% health/25% allies. the armor is generally more valuable due to the DR it implies but there's less of it and it can't be healed. if i cared more i'd go find exactly what the DR numbers are so you could mathematically hash it out to be similar in value to the added health but i

For the most part I was picking numbers out of a hat, as I don't know the nitty gritty of the numbers for the game. I put 40/20 because I wasn't sure how they'd get factored in, so I'd rather put something substantial and then work it down from there, instead of 10/5%. Also I was trying to pick between speed and survivability because between armor and health doesn't change how a team can approach a session, or even boss. If it was between armor and health, it'd be an equally useless ability for in example say Hans, while a speed option means the Hans fight gets way more tolerable as collectively the team can now outpace him.

I'd actually like to see SWAT with a group wide armor buff instead, since the class seems to be destined to be the "tank".

As someone who plays mostly as commando all of these ideas sound really good, although I'd say the numbers should be shrunk a little bit. Between showing cloaked units to the whole team, zed time extensions, and boosting reload speed teamwide I like the idea of the commando as a squad force multiplier, rather than having it be dedicated to picking off the crappy little weak enemies.
That guy was right, you should post this to the TWI forums because most of those ideas sound like solid concepts.

Fakeedit: Although instead of marking a specific target one could instead have commandos provide a damage boost to nearby teammates against hard targets like FPs or Scrakes. Forcing the commando to focus fire on big zeds seems pointless given how weak they are against them, and what would be the point of marking weaker ones when the commando will just chew through them regardless?

Realedit: Actually, I might put some thought into fiddling with those perk ideas to make it even more focused on force multiplying. Give me a bit.

Yea, very good point but I wasn't sure of a good mechanic for it, hence the overly simplistic one I have now. However a worthwhile continuous passive makes the level a nonchoice, so it has to be an activated skill. That and as you point out, the Commando should be able to do this while still functioning as trash clearer.