Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Schizotek posted:

This week has been pretty awful for me. I go to school in Orlando, and while I was lucky enough to be in Texas visiting family during the shooting, I still got to wake up to texts from friends telling me my community was being massacred. Discussion about it in the household ended up with a shouting argument between me and pretty much everyone else that ended with me outed and told by my grandfather that people gays and liberals aren't part of the family's values, and if I didn't hold their values I wasn't part of the family. Feels bad man :smith:

Sorry to hear that. Were all here if you need us. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I had a bizzaro conversation with my mother the other night who called me about this. First she was like well just don't go out to bars then she was don't drink at bars and then finally it was just like "Well be safe".

I guess that's progress other than her seemingly implying I was going to be raped and murdered if I kept going out to gay bars. Also, my mother has a very in depth knowledge of all homosexual serial killers and how they killed their victims which is kind of disturbing.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Schizotek posted:

This week has been pretty awful for me. I go to school in Orlando, and while I was lucky enough to be in Texas visiting family during the shooting, I still got to wake up to texts from friends telling me my community was being massacred. Discussion about it in the household ended up with a shouting argument between me and pretty much everyone else that ended with me outed and told by my grandfather that people gays and liberals aren't part of the family's values, and if I didn't hold their values I wasn't part of the family. Feels bad man :smith:

That sucks, dude. I hope things get better for you.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Schizotek posted:

Sometimes people come around when it's their own family. Sometimes they remain mired in themselves. Sorry to hear it though. :(

quote:

Serious answer? Iran doesn't have that many cows. While I'm sure the numbers have grown since the 18th century, the comparison of local rulers wealth from that era usually listed sheep and goats in the tens, or hundreds of thousands, and I'm not sure I ever saw a rulers cow herd as being listed over a hundred.
Happens in sheep and goats too, but with less regularity, whereas it's almost guaranteed in a twin birth in cattle. I just found it an amusing moment in a stream of :smith: because the mother in question threw in a random "I know nothing about animal husbandry but I'm going to use it to excuse my prejudices."

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I've read that cows mount each other too, and it can be considered mutual masturbation as they have an erogenous zone on the rump

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

CommieGIR posted:

If it makes you feel better, its killing his ratings, the only people who buy that are the Tea Party mongoloids that already support him no matter what.
Not particularly, since I live in tea party mongoloid land.

Apparently my dad finally drew the line on supporting the Republican party when Trump pulled clear though.

But then, his candidate was Cruz, so I'm not really sure that's any better.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

hackbunny posted:

I've read that cows mount each other too, and it can be considered mutual masturbation as they have an erogenous zone on the rump

Yes, routinely. In fact that is how you know a cow is in estrus, because they'll both mount other cows and be receptive to mounting. I grew up on a working cattle ranch, we did some artificial insemination stuff and as part of that you put a little dye pack on top of their rump. When the cow is in estrus she will be receptive to mounting from other (female) cows which will break the dye pack and then the rancher knows she's in estrus.

Bulls will try and mount each other too but I dunno as much about that. Only a few bulls for hundreds of cows, and it's not something you pay attention to whereas female cows mounting each other is important information about their fertility.

Edit: I've seen bulls attempt to mount other bulls but the "bottom" bull is not receptive and having none of that.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Hey jackass no one is saying its a civil rights issue. It's just stupid that as someone who is low-risk for HIV that I'm forever barred from donating blood because I occasionally engage in consensual sex with my husband. A prohibition that magically disappears if I lie about it.

Firstly, current blood donation guidelines only prohibit donations from MSM who have been sexually active in the past 12 months, not indefinitely. Secondly, the prohibition does not disappear if you lie, it is merely circumvented. If the dentist asks you if you're allergic to any medications and you say that you're not, your allergy to penicillin does not disappear.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

The Insect Court posted:

Firstly, current blood donation guidelines only prohibit donations from MSM who have been sexually active in the past 12 months, not indefinitely. Secondly, the prohibition does not disappear if you lie, it is merely circumvented. If the dentist asks you if you're allergic to any medications and you say that you're not, your allergy to penicillin does not disappear.

Let's say you are a gay man married to another gay man. You still have to be abstinent for a loving year to donate a literally life-saving fluid. And stay abstinent if you want to give as often as you can.
You are married. Married. But no sex.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's functionally a rolling indefinite ban if you're in most relationships though. They could have an exception for monogamous gay couples. That then gets into 'but one of them could cheat and the other wouldn't know'. That's the same in all relationships though, and it was said further up thread that the risk of HIV is statistically higher in all cases when that happens, not just with MSM.

It's the same with sex work. If you pay money for unprotected sex with a different person every weekend, it's a 12 month deferral. If you accepted money for sex even once, it's a lifetime ban. So you get into the same situation of whether this is statistics or stigma, and whether someone who did sex work with a select group of clients, always used protection, and stopped 10 years ago could be justified in lying on the form if they had consistently tested negative for blood borne diseases since.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
you can just lie, and you should, unless you actually have HIV

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i am hopeful that at some point the law will become smart, but that could take years and blood is needed now

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

Ohio State BOOniversity fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 5, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

So this is horrific

http://www.newser.com/story/226790/...r=1735409x84899

quote:

MOMBASA, Kenya (AP) — A Kenyan court on Thursday upheld the use of anal examinations to determine a suspect's sexual orientation, dismissing the argument that the procedure amounts to torture and degrading treatment.

There was no violation of rights or the law, Mombasa High Court Judge Mathew Emukule said.

"I find no violation of human dignity, right to privacy and right to freedom of the petitioners," he said.

Two men had sought a court ruling to stop enforced anal examinations and HIV tests of men accused of being gay after they were subjected to the procedures.

The two were arrested in a bar near Ukunda along Kenya's Indian Ocean coast in February 2015 on suspicion of engaging in gay sex, which is a criminal offense in Kenya. They still face the charges and, if convicted, could face 14 years in jail.

In their petition, the men said the anal examinations and HIV and hepatitis B tests they were forced to have amounted to being subjected to torture and degrading treatment.

The judge said the petitioners should have used their lawyers to seek injunction orders to avoid undergoing the tests.

"I sat in court holding my chin in disbelief," said Eric Gitari, the executive director of the Kenyan National Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission, which has supported the petition. He said the men will appeal.

"It's so painful when we are trying to encourage the gay community to go to court to affirm their rights; the courts are instead affirming violation of their rights," Gitari said.

The court judgment means that someone can be arrested on a rumor that they are gay and subjected to these tests, he said. "Do we want to use the nation's scarce resources on this?"

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
How would that test even work. Or is it basically the Salem gay trials.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Maybe their checking for scarification or reflex? I dunno. Like medically yeah you could tell in certain situations, possibly.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Didn't they do similar examinations during the satanic ritual abuse panic, which were found to be completely inaccurate?

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aleph Null posted:

Let's say you are a gay man married to another gay man. You still have to be abstinent for a loving year to donate a literally life-saving fluid. And stay abstinent if you want to give as often as you can.
You are married. Married. But no sex.

Yes, and?

The fact that it is literally a life-saving fluid means that protecting the integrity of the blood supply is of paramount importance. And the fact that there needs to be a standardized screening process used for potential blood donors means that even if someone is a special snowflake who is totally a perfectly safe donor but throws a flag on the screening is still not going to be able to donate blood.

mandatory lesbian posted:

you can just lie, and you should, unless you actually have HIV

I do not think that is a good idea, or good advice to be giving.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Insect Court posted:

The fact that it is literally a life-saving fluid means that protecting the integrity of the blood supply is of paramount importance. And the fact that there needs to be a standardized screening process used for potential blood donors means that even if someone is a special snowflake who is totally a perfectly safe donor but throws a flag on the screening is still not going to be able to donate blood.

The screening should still be based on medical necessity and not stigma, though, and the examples of other countries that have removed the one-year ban and not seen an increase in HIV or hepatitis is a pretty strong indication that it's stigma or at best bureaucratic inertia responsible for its persistence here and not evidence-based medical need.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
How do you feel about banning black men from donating since the risk of HIV infected blood is about the same?

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RagnarokAngel posted:

How do you feel about banning black men from donating since the risk of HIV infected blood is about the same?

This is factually incorrect.

VitalSigns posted:

The screening should still be based on medical necessity and not stigma, though, and the examples of other countries that have removed the one-year ban and not seen an increase in HIV or hepatitis is a pretty strong indication that it's stigma or at best bureaucratic inertia responsible for its persistence here and not evidence-based medical need.

There are just as many countries, including quite progressive ones, that retain a 12-month deferral (or longer). And I would like to see your sources on what these countries are, the most recent highly studied example of a policy change I'm aware of was Australia but they moved to a one year deferral period, not away from one.

And coincidentally, the last established case in the United States of HIV being transmitted through a blood transfusion was traced back to a man who had lied on his screening exam about his sexual behavior. Which is kind of a pretty example why you shouldn't do that.

The Insect Court fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jun 17, 2016

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Not every MSM has HIV though. If they are monogamous and know they and their partner are HIV free it makes zero sense unless you think it spontaneously generates.

Seriously there's no good excuse except "gays icky ".

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

And Turkey's gov just declared that the Istanbul Gay Pride March wouldn't happen this year "on security ground". Considering that last year, they broke it up with cops shooting rubber bullets on the crowd, it's hard to deny the security problem.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 17, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Toplowtech posted:

And Turkey's gov just declared that the Istanbul Gay Pride March wouldn't happen this year "on security ground". Considering that last year, they broke it up with cops shooting rubber bullets on the crowd, it's hard to deny the security problem.

Between Erdrogan's recent announcements declaring women who don't have children 'Useless' and Turkey playing up their Islamic connections, say hello to the new Turkish Islamic state.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Insect Court posted:

Yes, and?

The fact that it is literally a life-saving fluid means that protecting the integrity of the blood supply is of paramount importance.

And 19 countries have proved that not having any restriction on gays donating hasn't affect the integrity of the blood supply.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

RagnarokAngel posted:

Not every MSM has HIV though. If they are monogamous and know they and their partner are HIV free it makes zero sense unless you think it spontaneously generates.
Standard argument against is 'you don't know if your partner is monogamous, plus 3 month incubation period invisible to tests'.

Standard counterargument is 'that's the same for het couples too, with roughtly the same risks'.

But nobody is making the counterargument backed by stats at the levels where decisions are made.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

fishmech posted:

And 19 countries have proved that not having any restriction on gays donating hasn't affect the integrity of the blood supply.
He's eilther too stupid to understand you, or trolling. Either way, the kid's not worth your time.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hermetic posted:

He's eilther too stupid to understand you, or trolling. Either way, the kid's not worth your time.

Its Insect Court. He's a Right Wing troll.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

Its Insect Court. He's a Right Wing troll.

That is the saddest life I can imagine. I don't know what went wrong in his past, but I hope he gets better one day.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What's a good news site for LGBT news. I mostly read the Advocate , Queerty( don't judge me) and Huffposts Queer Voices.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hollismason posted:

What's a good news site for LGBT news. I mostly read the Advocate , Queerty( don't judge me) and Huffposts Queer Voices.

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Meanwhile in Italy:
  • In Treviso, far right organization Veneto Fronte Skinheads put up banners to greet tomorrow's pride parade (some of the slogans are "Italy needs cradles, not faggots", "You are not a priority for Italians", "Natural family untouchable ideal", "No rights for womb renters"). I would translate their frothing, content-free statement but I'm afraid I'd fail to convey its illiterate tone
  • Two days ago, the police superintendent of Varese demanded that tomorrow's pride parade be rerouted away from the city's center. Today they came to a slightly better agreement, but the original route was still denied
  • The former mayor of Treviso in an interview: "they asked for it", "they certainly incited the shooter", "let the gays stay in their pen", pride parade participants need "billy clubs and ricin oil" and he can't call them "faggots" because "the law is on their side. So, we have to keep the billy club in our pocket and throw away the ricin oil", gays are pedophiles, and as a mayor he never would have given patronage to the pride parade. I'm positive he's the same guy who said he'd fine two men kissing in public, or maybe that was another former mayor of Treviso
  • The director of La Nuova Bussola Quotidiana (The New Daily Compass) and Il Timone (The Rudder), respectively a catholic newspaper and a catholic magazine, wrote that Orlando was gay on gay crime. Even more hilariously, he wrote (pretty incoherently, it's hard to parse let alone translate) that having "a disturbed personality with homosexual tendencies" made the Orlando shooter find an outlet in an ISIS-inspired kill spree
  • Infamous high profile lawyer Carlo Taormina (defender of corrupt politicians, corrupt military officers, former SS officers, mafia bosses, neofascists, children in bogus pedophilia cases, the policeman who shot Carlo Giuliani in 2001 at the G8 in Genova...) tweeted that "if it was two heteros kissing, nothing would have happened"
If you're wondering about what makes Treviso such a shithole, I've written about the Italian north-east (in YOSPOS of all places) a while back:

hackbunny posted:

like in the north, there's even today still a clear divide between the regions that used to be in the austrian empire and those that were under french house savoy.

hackbunny posted:

the largest secessionist movement though is, of course, the northern league party, which you may know from their incredibly racist propaganda. they have toned down the secessionist rhetoric a long time ago, now they only want to turn italy into a federation, so that the (hard working) north can stop subsidizing the (corrupt, lazy, parasitic) south. when they still were hardcore secessionists they were the funniest: they had their own radio station, newspaper, incredibly inaccurate history school books, their own made up religious rituals, their own beauty contest only open to pure blood northern girls, their own comic book superhero, I think they even symbolically printed their own money. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. nowadays they're a garden variety low information voter party

then you have the italian north-east which is scarily similar to the US southern states: guns, bibles, farmland, small factories built on former farmland, suburban hellscapes and xenophobia. if you guessed that they were under austrian rule before unification, you woulda guessed right. I think they believe themselves too good to secede (too busy with work, you see), but occasionally you do get the kooks who symbolically "take over" the bell tower at st mark's in venice or write manifestos

hackbunny posted:

some time ago, some people stole a yellow audi wagon in milan, and joyrode it across the northeast for weeks. it drove them crazy, people reported sightings of the yellow audi everywhere, the thieves were accused of one burglary, no, two, no they're killers, no, adrenaline junkies, newspapers even interviewed local wrc legend miki biasion for his opinion on how a big car could outrun the police on the freeway in a straight line, are they pilots or stuntmen maybe?! ("no, they just have a big car and they speed on the freeway, where's the skill in that". reminds me of when they interviewed fuksas on the wtc collapse and he was like "uh yeah a fire can collapse a building"). there were facebook groups for reporting sightings, theorizing... as much as it drove them crazy with fear, rage, confusion ("this is the last straw, I'm getting my carry permit" says the typical northeasterner in the typical interview), the rest of italy barely noticed. basically in the northeast every day is slow news day

(the audi? it was found abandoned and burned. some say the gang switched to a black bmw but afaik no connection was ever proved between the two gangs)

oh gently caress! wait! how could I forget. meet the quintessential northeasterner, joe formaggio, mayor of albettone:

("nomads" being, of course, gypsies)

(note the ripped "republic of the north" sticker - the northern league's secessionist campaign. you put your political stickers on bumpers, we put ours on city limit signs)

the sign says:

IMPORTANT NOTICE!!!

Notice is hereby given to all:
THIEVES, BASTARDS, THUGS, TROUBLEMAKERS AND UNWANTED ELEMENTS
that in this town we won't hesitate to shoot you if you violate our homes and threaten our families

Therefore, for the peace of all, do not enter our territory, or keep going without stopping

Thanks,
The mayor

what is it that makes him the perfect northeasterner though, so perfect he's almost a parody of himself? is it the shotgun? is it the antiziganism? the castle doctrine? no, what makes joe formaggio the perfectly ridiculous northeasterner is that he's all this, and the mayor of a lovely little town of 2000 people

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 17, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Hollismason posted:

pinknews.co.uk does a lot of UK/European stuff, and some world events.

hackbunny posted:

Meanwhile in Italy:
  • In Treviso, far right organization Veneto Fronte Skinheads put up banners to greet tomorrow's pride parade (some of the slogans are "Italy needs cradles, not faggots", "You are not a priority for Italians", "Natural family untouchable ideal", "No rights for womb renters"). I would translate their frothing, content-free statement but I'm afraid I'd fail to convey its illiterate tone
Part of me wants to put people like that in a box and let them breed themselves into starvation, as they would do for everyone else, but it'd be their kids that suffered most. :smith:

hackbunny posted:

"billy clubs and ricin oil" and he can't call them "faggots" because "the law is on their side. So, we have to keep the billy club in our pocket and throw away the ricin oil"
That might be better as "billy clubs and castor oil", I think? It's the same bean, but ricin is the poison and castor oil is the non-poisonous plant oil that the Mussolini's police used to force-feed people until they poo poo themselves.

Not that wanting to torture people instead of outright murder them makes them good people.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

That might be better as "billy clubs and castor oil", I think? It's the same bean, but ricin is the poison and castor oil is the non-poisonous plant oil that the Mussolini's police used to force-feed people until they poo poo themselves.

Oooh I knew it didn't sound right. We call it "olio di ricino" in Italian

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Are they saying poo poo was better under the Austrian-Hungarian empire (or maybe just Austria?) If so, that might be the dumbest thing I've read in a while. :psyduck:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Klaus88 posted:

Are they saying poo poo was better under the Austrian-Hungarian empire (or maybe just Austria?) If so, that might be the dumbest thing I've read in a while. :psyduck:

No no no, let's not get derailed, it's what I suspect the east/west cultural divide of Northern Italy comes from, because the north-east can feel downright protestant sometimes. Nobody is that nostalgic

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah I'd like to read more international queer news. Thanks for the suggestions.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
How was Don't Ask Don't Tell viewed by the LGBT community when it was passed back in 1993? Was it seen as progress for LGBT rights?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Reik posted:

How was Don't Ask Don't Tell viewed by the LGBT community when it was passed back in 1993? Was it seen as progress for LGBT rights?

Well it was certainly a better outcome than the witch hunts that came before. My dad (career Air Force) has told me stories about how in the 80's he took part in investigations where they would interrogate and threaten with all sorts of fun things including dishonorable discharges to people who they suspected of being gay to get them to confess and name names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Well it was certainly a better outcome than the witch hunts that came before. My dad (career Air Force) has told me stories about how in the 80's he took part in investigations where they would interrogate and threaten with all sorts of fun things including dishonorable discharges to people who they suspected of being gay to get them to confess and name names.

I've heard similar stories from my uncle (career Navy): it was seen as imperfect to say the least, but it was actually a step up and more importantly officially recognized that gay people do indeed exist.

• Locked thread