Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

UnknownMercenary posted:

I still like Santa's Workshop. And all the Transports. But gently caress Lab Rats.
:yeah:

Plan Z posted:

Santa's Workshop was alright. There was some decent map design there and I liked how they divorced themselves from instantaneous objective interruptions like the latency-prone power boxes on other heists. It's just that when you've played such a cramped heist over a dozen times with quite a few of them being around an hour, I just have no desire to revisit them unless they find some way to keep it interesting.
But this too, though. The longer a map takes, the more it needs either lots of moving parts that keep a single location interesting or more varied locations to fight cops in, IMO. Endurance maps usually have the problem of lacking either, and there's a number of regular maps that have the same problems.

Generally speaking my favorite maps are the ones where you have to make some kind of decision between brute forcing progress, turtling, or something inbetween where you have to hold a questionable position. The FS2 escape is a good example of that kind of decision making. And even back when the game was slower/harder making it out with all of the guns on FS1 had a little of that - rush them straight out or fight your way to the back alleys and be forced into close quarters combat? Nowadays you just bring a saw or C4 and you're out in five minutes and it's lame.

Siege defense maps were also fun, but they've pretty much stopped making those entirely and power creep killed a lot of their appeal anyway.

I also wouldn't mind seeing more maps like GoatSim Day 1, where there's a little more exploration and the challenge is less about raw cop shoot and more about how fast you want to go by delegating tasks versus reducing risk by staying together. It's not wholly unlike stealth maps in that sense, and the choice of whether to split up and by how much feels like it's a bit more in tune with current player power levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Dr Cheeto posted:

It'd be hosed up if there were two east Asian heisters in Payday and neither one was Lo Wang

There is that sequel coming out some time this year. Easy cross promotion material there if there ever was any.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

John Murdoch posted:

But this too, though. The longer a map takes, the more it needs either lots of moving parts that keep a single location interesting or more varied locations to fight cops in, IMO. Endurance maps usually have the problem of lacking either, and there's a number of regular maps that have the same problems.

Well said. You don't want to overstay your welcome. I think Overkill does a pretty decent job with this, to be honest - there are a couple egregious counterexamples but for the most part, most heists involve a reasonable amount of time spent.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Alesso is a fun heist but it always seems to take forever. I play it less because I'm so likely to just want to take a break afterwards.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Sternieliscious posted:

You have come to a room with four vault doors. Opening the doors must be done in a specific order based on riddles found on the bodies of the managerial staff in the bank. Failure to open the correct order locks the unopened vaults for the remainder of the heist and will auto spawn a Special squad for each locked door. Bain will read the riddles like he reads meth descriptions.

This is a terrible idea and I kinda want to play it.

From my actual design doc for the Secret Heist. Only true nerds will get this reference! For those who need help, it seems the site actually covered it once.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Geight posted:

Alesso is a fun heist but it always seems to take forever. I play it less because I'm so likely to just want to take a break afterwards.

I'd just like to have three cutters. Considering all you have to do in the heist, there's enough time for your money to not have to play Shenmue 3 just to save a few more seconds in the basement.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 26, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Plan Z posted:

I'd just like to have three cutters. Considering all you have to do in the heist, there's enough time for your money to not have to play Shenmue 3 just to save a few more seconds in the basement.

New death vox plan- you get one cutter, but four forklifts.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
YOU ENTER A 10' BY 10' ROOM. A CLOAKER IS GUARDING A CHEST.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Psion posted:

Well said. You don't want to overstay your welcome. I think Overkill does a pretty decent job with this, to be honest - there are a couple egregious counterexamples but for the most part, most heists involve a reasonable amount of time spent.

Raw time spent is usually not that bad, but lack of variety is what kills a lot of maps for me. One of the big culprits that comes to mind is Slaughterhouse. Moving the containers is entirely out of your or the cops' control and it's otherwise just a big killbox with obnoxious sniper spawns.

I've also always had issues with both days of Hotline Miami, though day 1 is much better now that people don't insist on always doing a full cook. Starting from the time locks and lasting all the way to the end of the heist, The Diamond boils down to killing the same 4-5 spawn points worth of cops, which gets old.

Biker Heist 1 is also like that. I wish the garage phase always triggered because at least holding there is a little different from the rest of the map.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

YOU ENTER A 10' BY 10' ROOM. A CLOAKER IS GUARDING A CHEST.

We are the Brothers Cloaker. One of us speaks only the truth, the other can only tell lies.

Also tonight I realized that you totally have enough points to do a full Frenzy-Anarchist-Silenced Shotgun-Crit build. Sure, you don't get to have any deployable skills...but if you never run out of ammo and never die, does it matter?

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 26, 2016

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

John Murdoch posted:

now that people don't insist on always doing a full cook.

Truly shameful.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

lmao if you don't completely maximize the payout of every heist despite being XXV-100 and having several trillions in spending cash.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Man, Iodine is a piece of poo poo, just unmitigated. Like I have met a lot cool dudes here but I want it known iodine is a piece of poo poo no one should love.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

who what now

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Allen Wren posted:

who what now

Iodine, he's a giant piece of poo poo, moving right along to having fun.....

So that frenzerker bulid, I again say try LBV. -5 dodge at 270+ armor is worth considering.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.

Discendo Vox posted:

There is already a zipline asset. It is there explicitly to speed up the removal of bags at the default location.

Console scrub but I speak for em all: C4 tunnel/ locate box/ glitch

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Also tonight I realized that you totally have enough points to do a full Frenzy-Anarchist-Silenced Shotgun-Crit build. Sure, you don't get to have any deployable skills...but if you never run out of ammo and never die, does it matter?

I traded out the crits for shouting people up because it's still useful and necessary with my usual group. The deployables are a waste of points though.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

UnknownMercenary posted:

I still like Santa's Workshop. And all the Transports. But gently caress Lab Rats.

Yes, indeed. Once the novelty wears off the map terrain is really, really, really annoying. Last time I played it I refused to even go up, instead staying on the table to clear enemies while others did the objectives.

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Wastrel_ posted:

Yes, indeed. Once the novelty wears off the map terrain is really, really, really annoying. Last time I played it I refused to even go up, instead staying on the table to clear enemies while others did the objectives.

How does it feel to have played yourself?

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Probably the lowest priority imaginable but I wish we'd get some new escapes. Overpass is one of my favorite cop kill levels and even though it is so quick I like garage.

I almost wish they would just mash something up and add some objectives during escapes. Or just add transports as available escapes (even though it makes like no sense).

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

watho posted:

lmao if you don't completely maximize the payout of every heist despite being XXV-100 and having several trillions in spending cash.

Ain't this the truth.

It's like, we could leave now buuuuut...

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

watho posted:

What else am I supposed to do at XXV-100 other than trying to steal all of the money in the world?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

swims posted:

Probably the lowest priority imaginable but I wish we'd get some new escapes. Overpass is one of my favorite cop kill levels and even though it is so quick I like garage.

I almost wish they would just mash something up and add some objectives during escapes. Or just add transports as available escapes (even though it makes like no sense).

Who really winds up playing escapes that often? I've found that basically any time I play a heist with an escape chance, someone buys Expert Driver and that's that.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Now that they moved the asset purchasing skill to the bad stealth tree I see it reasonably often, actually.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Wasn't it possible, back in The Old Days, to get two escapes on a three-day heist? I seem to recall getting escapes after both day 1 and 2 of Rats and remember it being like heist hell because it kept going on and on and onnnnnn

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

Psion posted:

Wasn't it possible, back in The Old Days, to get two escapes on a three-day heist? I seem to recall getting escapes after both day 1 and 2 of Rats and remember it being like heist hell because it kept going on and on and onnnnnn

Yes. It was even better when the Garage was day 1's escape and Overpass was day 2's so you could only have max 7 bags on the Garage escape when the achievement requires 8.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Psion posted:

This is possible on Rats and Framing Frame. I don't think it can happen on Firestarter.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
You can still get two escapes on Rats, but it can only trigger the two best escapes. Call me crazy but I actually like those maps.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

FS doesn't have any escapes, apparently.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

averox posted:

Ain't this the truth.

It's like, we could leave now buuuuut...

Leaving means there aren't any more cops to click. And who wants that?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Tempest_56 posted:

Leaving means there aren't any more cops to click. And who wants that?

Sometimes you need a change of locale for clicking, which is why sitting on any one heist too long is bad. I've occasionally felt the drag of Hotline d1 fullcook, but these days it's pretty easy for one person to start cooking immediately (or right after you plant the 4 gas cans, don't want to lose precious frames!!!) with whatever's in the lab and then as soon as you open a crate in the basement, someone grabs the first set and goes up and starts cooking more. You don't end up spending much extra time on map and it's incredibly easy to defend the lab yourself for as long as it takes for the remainder of the crew to get more ingredients / defend the hack / whatever, so it's not even that risky.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

ClonedPickle posted:

Yes. It was even better when the Garage was day 1's escape and Overpass was day 2's so you could only have max 7 bags on the Garage escape when the achievement requires 8.

"even better"

I remember trying to get that achievement. I remember 7 bag garages. :mad:

september 12, 2014: a day which will live in history as a day where I probably swore a lot and said "finally" - actually the day I first did Sewer Rats, too. Huh. I guess it was Bag Achievement Day.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

BillmasterCozb posted:

gat's default mask is just a gat bobblehead mask

edit: bonus points if they would include a heist of the bank from the beginning of Saints Row 3, complete with defending the safe as it's being air lifted

If they ever came out with a decent level maker this would be the first thing I'd gently caress up horribly trying to recreate.

I'm also kinda surprised that they haven't put in a Skycrane model or other heavy lifting helicopter into the game. Would make more sense for Aftershocks and the probable remake of Panic Room.

Concordat fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 27, 2016

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

John Murdoch posted:

We are the Brothers Cloaker. One of us speaks only the truth, the other can only tell lies.

You are Ik and it is night.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Concordat posted:

If they ever came out with a decent level maker this would be the first thing I'd gently caress up horribly trying to recreate.

I'm also kinda surprised that they haven't put in a Skycrane model or other heavy lifting helicopter into the game. Would make more sense for Aftershocks and the probable remake of Panic Room.

I'd just recreate Dead Ahead as a Payday heist. The gunners behind cover would all be snipers

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I still hope for an assault on the DC police station to get the Commissioner right out of Terminator. Hitting the giant endless swarm of cops right in their militarized hive.

No money, no loot, just here to gently caress poo poo up.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

BillmasterCozb posted:

I'd just recreate Dead Ahead as a Payday heist. The gunners behind cover would all be snipers

Dead Ahead?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Concordat posted:

Dead Ahead?

This bullshit

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

That bullshit took the player about 100 minutes to pull off. I'd rather Overdrill.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

From my own anecdotal evidence: on HLM1 no cops will actually touch the scanner if no players are in the basement.

Also, didn't there used to be a glitch where if you got garage escape on day 1 of rats after a full cook the game would spawn 8 bags of meth by the van?

Clicking on that video and realizing that level it was made me cry a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

watho posted:

Also, didn't there used to be a glitch where if you got garage escape on day 1 of rats after a full cook the game would spawn 8 bags of meth by the van?

iirc that's still around, but not tied to garage. Desync can very rarely cause bag secure duplication on that day.