Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't like shows that treat me like an idiot. I also dislike when shows decide the best way to explain motivations or exposition is through speeches. The way a show conveys the importance of its content is important to me. Getting back into Zeta, I'm amazed at the worlds of difference between how it goes about world and character building compared to Unicorn. I think the key factor is how understated a lot of events in Zeta are, while Unicorn blows everything up to these insane levels. And yet Unicorn still comes off as derivative because of the fact it is made by fanboys who are excited to work on a Gundam show. I don't think it was the right direction to take as a sequel to the Tomino shows. In fact, I don't think it should have been a sequel at all, because then you are putting it in dialogue with the Tomino run series, and I find it running up short. The advantage that the 90s OVAs have is that they are telling their own stories on a limited level, which allows them to do their own thing and also to reinforce the larger events going on during the main franchise series. But a lot of Unicorn feels like it wants to go off in this wildly different direction, but also to wallow in self reference, like the show is having an identity crisis.

You're the one assuming the show is treating you like an idiot instead of that just being the way the show is written, and in turn you're getting angry at the show for doing something it wasn't doing. In turn you're refusing to bend at all which is why you're changing tactics every post. You got angry at it for daring to say that war ended, and when it was pointed out, you got angry at it for being too short, and then when it was pointed out that in actual war terms it wasn't that short you're now getting angry at it for being too pretentious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If you want to attack the frustration in my posts, fine. I'm trying to convey why I don't enjoy this show so much, and it's not always easy to put into words. I'm not trying to start a fight.

Maybe Tomino shows train me to be a cynic so I'm baffled by a show's attempt at a "happy" ending.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 30, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

If you want to attack the frustration in my posts, fine. I'm trying to convey why I don't enjoy this show so much, and it's not always easy to put into words.

Well, the problem is that your arguments boil down to treating the show as attacking you or attacking Tomino's work depending. And while that's fine if you feel that way, it's also effectively hard to say anything in response to.

I mean "Gundam Unicorn is derivative and follows the Gundam trend of referencing instead of doing new things" isn't a complaint anyone can object to be because it's true. Every Gundam show is too in love with going back to the Gundam tropes and Unicorn is by far one of the worst. However it's not doing that to be offensive or because it thinks it is that important. If you don't like the characters or the plotlines there's nothing wrong with that. It's when you treat the show like it is offensive and attacking you that it becomes sort of bewildering.

I mean Unicorn has a boatload of problems. It's not even in my top 5 favorite Gundam shows and if it was it would be because of the handful of excellent character arcs rather than the work as a whole. I'm not trying to say it's flawless. I just think it's a bit odd that people act like Unicorn's ending was anything more than a super-blunt optimism vs nihilism story.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 30, 2016

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's a Gundam story about Gundam instead of a story in a Gundam setting. Which doesn't sound so uniquely derisive, but even the most callbacky of prior shows never really felt like that.

Unicorn feels like it's going to bust out footage from Zeta or ZZ at any point like it's some kind of recorded footage to show at Captain Kirk's trial.

ImpAtom posted:

I mean Unicorn has a boatload of problems. It's not even in my top 5 favorite Gundam shows and if it was it would be because of the handful of excellent character arcs rather than the work as a whole. I'm not trying to say it's flawless. I just think it's a bit odd that people act like Unicorn's ending was anything more than a super-blunt optimism vs nihilism story.

It's kind of weird how they can do characters like Riddhe, Marida, Zinnerman, and to an extent, Mineva, while still having the main character be Banagher Links, and the end of the show being like...baby's first conflict resolution.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

muike posted:

Unicorn feels like it's going to bust out footage from Zeta or ZZ at any point like it's some kind of recorded footage to show at Captain Kirk's trial.
Isn't that what The Man Who Could Not Ride The Rainbow does?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

muike posted:

At one point during Full Frontal's space odyssey timewarp, I swear there was some stuff that looked straight out of Char's Counterattack. Like the animation style was completely different.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Oh my god. You're probably right.

"so how did you guys even get this footage of the battle from inside Texas or the White Base blowing up, or from that time Amuro ate sandwiches in a PTSD episode"

Every time Unicorn feels like it could do something cool it looks at the camera, completely lets go of the idea and goes "Whoops! Dropped it" smiles roguishly and a laugh track plays

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muike posted:

It's a Gundam story about Gundam instead of a story in a Gundam setting. Which doesn't sound so uniquely derisive, but even the most callbacky of prior shows never really felt like that.

It's kind of weird how they can do characters like Riddhe, Marida, Zinnerman, and to an extent, Mineva, while still having the main character be Banagher Links, and the end of the show being like...baby's first conflict resolution.

They basically do. I mean Full Frontal is Char's voice acting saying Char's lines.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
They should have had Gryps war footage from inside the theater where Quattro confronted Haman and Scricco in the first episode during Banagher's class.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

ImpAtom posted:

it's also effectively hard to say anything in response to.

You have no response because unicorn is indefensible trash

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

Good addition to the conversation mr. stefan! You did very good and we're all proud of you.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

mr. stefan posted:

Whenever people say anything positive about Unicorn you come up with these one-liners that say nothing at all

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Consider, instead: addressing the points being made.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Like dang man seriously lol, look at this stuff

mr. stefan posted:

Unicorn is a poo poo mess of bad storytelling and it boggles my loving mind how willing people are to throw themselves onto a sword in its defense

mr. stefan posted:

lmao @ people who are so intellectually starved for passable writing that they think anything Unicorn does is remotely defensible

70% of Gundam is trash, unicorn especially is masturbatory trash that exists purely as a blight on the IP, the vast majority of anime is trash, if you can't accept this then you are, 100% unironically, a loving simpleton

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mr. stefan posted:

Unicorn is possibly the worst gundam possible to try and jump into as a new viewer, yes. Also the worst gundam.

mr. stefan posted:

lmao it's not "stuck up" to acknowledge that a work is doing the time honored entertainment industry thing of heavy misdirection to cover bad writing. Do you think Unicorn is the first time that a work presented itself as having depth and then used explosions to hide that that was a lie?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Good addition to the conversation mr. stefan! You did very good and we're all proud of you.

Eat poo poo

The entirety of your contribution to any discussion on the subject has been to say the equivalent of "that's just, like, your opinion, man" and repeat it with increasing volume until people leave

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Srice posted:

Consider, instead: addressing the points being made.

I'll address points being made when someone presents an argument in unicorn's favor that isn't the consumerist equivalent of Stockholm syndrome

Like, I've written actual words about the problems Unicorn has in previous iterations of this thread and also elsewhere on the internet, but I'm not going to bother anymore until you fucks prove that your response to a multipoint argument isn't to either disengage entirely or take up a retreating motion while saying "but at the end of the day, how can you say something is poo poo if I don't know what poo poo is" and acting like this is the first persons fault

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Arguments being laid out and debated are cool, and it's a better way to post instead of getting weird and insulting towards people that like a thing you personally don't enjoy!

Like dang man what is your problem

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
if only we could communicate our feelings better, if only we had some sort of new type of person

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PBS Newshour posted:

if only we could communicate our feelings better, if only we had some sort of new type of person

Yeah. A new person. The type who could communicate perfectly, with no loss of understanding.

Some kind of... X-Rounder.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

mr. stefan posted:

I'll address points being made when someone presents an argument in unicorn's favor that isn't the consumerist equivalent of Stockholm syndrome

lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

Eat poo poo

The entirety of your contribution to any discussion on the subject has been to say the equivalent of "that's just, like, your opinion, man" and repeat it with increasing volume until people leave

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah. A new person. The type who could communicate perfectly, with no loss of understanding.

Clearly we just need to genetically engineer someone who can coordinate our conversations. We'll call them Cyber-X-Rounders.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

chiasaur11 posted:

You are a herald for the new AGE of this thread chiasaur eleven.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

they're called jedis

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GulagDolls posted:

they're called jedis

Only the Sith deal in absolutes. :colbert:

Unironic seriouspost:

Gundam Unicorn has a lot of flaws but it has some pretty coherent and well thought out character arcs that make use of the setting without repeating existing ones. I've posted repeatedly before but Riddhe's arc is extremely strong because it represents a character who should exist in Gundam but doesn't. The One Year War should be a crippling fear for a lot of people in the way that World War III is these days. Someone who wholeheartedly WANTS to avoid that while not being entirely sympathetic is a really solid idea and by and large executed well. At worst it stumbles on the final step down Newtype lane but contrasting the optimistic Gundam kid with the guy going "BILLIONS OF PEOPLE DIED HOLY poo poo" is a lot more compelling than contrasting him with Char 2.0.

Marida and Zimmerman's arc is similarly very strong and again at worst it stumbles on the final point. I don't think it needed to precisely but I also understand why it did. It's not a surprise it's the high point for a lot of people. I honestly think most of the character arcs in Unicorn are very strong and injured only by Banagher being generally weak. Audrey would be a lot stronger if she wasn't tied into Banagher so heavily because he kind of drags something away from her decision to reject becoming the Zabi figurehead. The core plot is weak but it mostly serves as an excuse for these characters to interact and go about their arcs.

It's not remotely the best Gundam series but being able to do complete coherent character arcs that make use of a setting and traits puts it ahead of something like 0083 or Gundam Age where can't even manage that. I don't like how it ended particularly and I think some of the character arc endings are too... safe and weak, but at its worst it's just kind of a completely average Gundam show with some strong ideas and a lackluster ending. The strong animation and visual design help elevate it but it's strictly mid-tier. Not best, not worst.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ImpAtom posted:

A good Summary

This is basically how I feel about the show, apart from my frustrations with the ending coming across more harshly. I just wish that the level of care applied to Zinnerman, Marida and Riddhe could have been translated to the actual plot, and if they had skimped on the ridiculous newtype nonsense to round the story out. I didn't even mention the Unicorn responding to Banagher's cry for help like it was a living being. (Then again, Norris's Gouf responded to his call in order to do a badass walkout.) There are a lot of little things that drag down the series for me. If I come off like I'm mad that the show is attacking me, or defiling Tomino, it's because there is evidence in the show that they can do better, and I feel let down by it. The strong supporting cast is proof that there is talent in the writer's department, but it is squandered on a plot that throws nuance to the wind.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I admit that I *like* Newtypism so that probably impacts how I view it. I don't like Newtypeism when it comes to glowing pink powerups but I do enjoy it as a weird psychic connection. Unicorn isn't my favorite execution of it (or even my favorite non-Tomino execution of it) by far but I like that it genuinely tries to focus on the empathy and unity elements even if it unavoidably devolves into super powerups by the end.

(For the record my favorite non-Tomino use of Newtypeism is probably X Astray which is bizarrely accurate to UC Newtype rules for a SEED spinoff.)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Riddhe is definitely one of my favorite Gundam characters in recent history. Agreeing with how it's weird that a character like him hasn't been a common aspect of some of the UC sequels! Just one hosed up war that wipes out a lot of the population is plenty to make a lot of people freak out about any impending wars. And while there's some of that present in broad strokes (such as the Titans being formed) I can't think of any character pre-Unicorn with that mindset of being anti-war specifically for that reason.

It's a show with a strong supporting cast tied around a protagonist I have no strong feelings for either way so that averages out to be pretty alright in my book.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Banagher could have been replaced with 3 corgis stacked on top of each other and I doubt much would change. In fact it might be better since it would make more sense to have the rest of the cast gravitate towards these dexterous dogs instead of a black hole of charisma.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The GIG posted:

Banagher could have been replaced with 3 corgis stacked on top of each other and I doubt much would change. In fact it might be better since it would make more sense to have the rest of the cast gravitate towards these dexterous dogs instead of a black hole of charisma.

Isn't he like a really strong Newtype?

Maybe he's a Scirocco type and his Newtype powers take the form of putting the mental whammy on everyone.

Does Unicorn go Newtypes hooray? I never finished it. But the Tomino UC Gundams I've seen pretty clearly reject the Deikun idea of fNewtypism. Newtypes do not solve all problems, nor does "understanding." Amuro and Char are great counterexamples of how that idea is nonsense. Kamille and Haman were another good counterexample. I loved that Kamille thought of Haman as some sort of demon after getting inside her head.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bandager proves that newtype powers are no substitute for a personality.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Even so!

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

NikkolasKing posted:

Isn't he like a really strong Newtype?

Theres no rule that says a dog can't be a newtype.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The GIG posted:

And yet, all we've seen are Newtype dolphins and Newtype monkeys.

Where are the other Newtype animals, Sunrise?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

The GIG posted:

Air Bud would be a way cooler main character than Banagher. poo poo, I'd buy the VHS.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Air Bud would be a way cooler main character than Banagher. poo poo, I'd buy the VHS.

And he would be called: Scopedog

wait.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

He'd be in the GM Sniper K9 either way.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The clause in the laplace's box is really implausible and doesn't make that much sense and just feels like the writers wanted to say what they wanted rather than thinking through what made sense.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx

ImpAtom posted:

Only the Sith deal in absolutes. :colbert:

Unironic seriouspost:

Gundam Unicorn has a lot of flaws but it has some pretty coherent and well thought out character arcs that make use of the setting without repeating existing ones. I've posted repeatedly before but Riddhe's arc is extremely strong because it represents a character who should exist in Gundam but doesn't. The One Year War should be a crippling fear for a lot of people in the way that World War III is these days. Someone who wholeheartedly WANTS to avoid that while not being entirely sympathetic is a really solid idea and by and large executed well. At worst it stumbles on the final step down Newtype lane but contrasting the optimistic Gundam kid with the guy going "BILLIONS OF PEOPLE DIED HOLY poo poo" is a lot more compelling than contrasting him with Char 2.0.

Marida and Zimmerman's arc is similarly very strong and again at worst it stumbles on the final point. I don't think it needed to precisely but I also understand why it did. It's not a surprise it's the high point for a lot of people. I honestly think most of the character arcs in Unicorn are very strong and injured only by Banagher being generally weak. Audrey would be a lot stronger if she wasn't tied into Banagher so heavily because he kind of drags something away from her decision to reject becoming the Zabi figurehead. The core plot is weak but it mostly serves as an excuse for these characters to interact and go about their arcs.

It's not remotely the best Gundam series but being able to do complete coherent character arcs that make use of a setting and traits puts it ahead of something like 0083 or Gundam Age where can't even manage that. I don't like how it ended particularly and I think some of the character arc endings are too... safe and weak, but at its worst it's just kind of a completely average Gundam show with some strong ideas and a lackluster ending. The strong animation and visual design help elevate it but it's strictly mid-tier. Not best, not worst.

This is pretty much along the lines of how I feel about Unicorn, though I give the show a lot of credit just on the music and visuals alone on top of this.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Has anyone here listened to the Gundam Symphonic Poem soundtrack. Gallant Char gets an awesome revision with full orchestra.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_grF2N3YQFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It really does.