Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Len posted:

I picked up Sentinels of the Multiverse the other day when it was posted. It's actually pretty fun although it took a hot minute for me to really figure out how my team worked together. Some of them I just haven't figured out how to use effectively either but I really liked it. Kind of tempted to pick up the real version now but I have so many deck building style games as is.

I have the real version. I think it's a lot of fun but a lot of fellow boardgames geeks feel like it's too deterministic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

vulturesrow posted:

I have the real version. I think it's a lot of fun but a lot of fellow boardgames geeks feel like it's too deterministic.

I like it too, and have bought it twice over considering both the steam and real life versions of it. I know some people like to play it like a puzzle, but I feel it really shines when you've got four or so people together who all just play one character and you're not just playing the best characters / counterpicking the boss+environment.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Yeah I'm a fan of board games where everyone is working towards the same goal.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
Game is great but the art is atrocious. Also needs some sort of campaign play to keep me playing. I am an unmotivated person like that :v: . And maybe drop a couple of bucks off the DLC, $20 just for the first season is a bit much, even if it is a lot of content.

bastardInABasket
May 22, 2001
Fun Shoe
Back in the days of flash games, there was one called something like Space Penguin. You'd shoot a penguin from a slingshot, similar to Angry Birds. The object was to land on the moon by using the gravitational pull from near by planets. Is there any game like this on Android?

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

E30User posted:

Back in the days of flash games, there was one called something like Space Penguin. You'd shoot a penguin from a slingshot, similar to Angry Birds. The object was to land on the moon by using the gravitational pull from near by planets. Is there any game like this on Android?

Rabbids Big Bang sounds fairly similar to what you're looking for.

notbrant
Jul 1, 2003
Is there a cross platform connect 4 game?

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
are there any quake 1 engine ports for android that work now? preferable ones that support software rendering but hey im not gonna complain

q14a is a darkplaces port that almost works but apparently lolipop broke it and it's been broken for a while

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

E30User posted:

Isn't that literally one of the Angry Birds games too?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

There is Angry Birds Space but it just adds gravity tricks to the standard "shoot birds, break stuff" formula.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I have been enlightened. I have downloaded Desert Golfing. The winds, the sands, the putts, the shots, the misses, the hits, the lone cactus.

Desert Golfing is love.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

mrkillboy posted:

Aw man, this looks good but it also reminds me that Chroma Squad still isn't out on mobile yet :(

Anyway, Guild of Dungeoneering, a turn based RPG/card game where you build the dungeon around your heroes is out.
I have been playing the hell out of this lately and I've finally beaten the game and unlocked everything, and now I'm looking for something else to scratch this particular itch.

Here's what I'm looking for:

Turn-based, so it can be put down at any time and pick it back up without problems. If I have to get up unexpectedly to go do something, I don't want to either lose progress or have to say "wait a few minutes while I finish this level".

Some kind of progression, with unlocks/upgrades that allow for tackling of harder content. I don't mind, and even enjoy, some Roguelikes, but can't stand the ones that mean a momentary lapse in concentration or a bad tactical choice mean that I'm back to the point where I first installed the game. I don't mind death, goodness knows I died a ton in Guild of Dungeoneering, but the death in there was handled well. A happy medium between the game punishing me severely for my sins and death means nothing would be nice.

Playable enjoyably in short bursts, but without artificial limitations that would prevent playing longer if time allows.

No ads, no non-cosmetic IAP definitely, preferably no IAP at all, no dual in-game currency where you can do daily quests and slowly grind one kind or pay real money for another. I hope you can all recognize the kind of profit model that I'm talking about. I know that this means that I will have to pay up-front for the game, and I'm cool with that.

Some level of tactics and/or customization so it feels like in addition to progressing, I'm also getting better at the game. I tried Battlefleet Gothic Leviathan, and while it was close to what I want, it just wasn't fun to play. It had all the tactical depth one could ever want, but somewhere between considering relative weapon tradeoffs, zones of fire, and ship turning radii, it crossed that ill-defined line between game and work. Something that strikes a balance between no skill required and memorize the rulebook to have a chance to win.

Thoughts?

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

mrkillboy posted:

Looks like The Walking Dead: No Man's Land got an update that adds playable characters you might recognise from the show.

I picked this game up after seeing it mentioned here - really very fun. It scratches that gear grinding/character collecting itch, X-COM-like turn based combat, has multiplayer that is fun but not the sole purpose of the game, and all sorts of in game events. My go to game at the moment (leaving 2.5 years of CoC by the wayside as well as Pokemon:Go for it). If you haven't tried it give it a shot. (Can't figure out how to join or make guilds though?)

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

mrkillboy posted:

Dead Shell is an apparently Doom-inspired sci-fi roguelike RPG with simple click based combat. It seems neat (though I'm not quite sure how I ran out of stamina so fast :ohdear: Oh, its one life per dungeon attempt. That kinda sucks.).

The other problem with it is that bullets are pretty uncommon drops which means if you're running dry you either have to hope you get pretty lucky with dungeon/enemy loot drops or wait six hours for a supply ship that requires an upfront investment of 250 in-game credits to even become available. The game doesn't tell you anywhere there's a bullet-saving axe you can use either until you run completely out of bullets (I'm not even sure the game will let you switch to it before you have to). And you can only get new guns/characters through supply crate drops, which as you might guess if you've seen any other cash-grab games are pretty uncommon dungeon loot drops only outside of the guaranteed tutorial dungeon drop to start the Skinner box itch. Not real impressive design here.

I picked this game up and it has been pretty fun - up to level 70? Now. The stamina is really limiting your play time but I've found switching between classes/weapons is key to not running out of ammo (also Axing bitches that are weak). Also Medic class is really OP, fireaxing weak one room enemies to build up heal skill stacks will get you far. Named weapons also help (got a legendary Assault Rifle that I let all classes use for 65 base damage, 85 boosted by class). Just be prepared to only play every few hours vs grinding incessantly.

Ceros_X fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 6, 2016

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Finally got a smart phone and I'm looking for a couple of simple not-too-resource-intensive-battery-draining coffee break games that have endless replay value.
Match 3's and stuff of that nature are welcome!

I've already played games like Pixel Dungeon to death on my tablet and I'm not crazy about clicker games.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
New Kairosoft: The Manga Works.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Deakul posted:

Finally got a smart phone and I'm looking for a couple of simple not-too-resource-intensive-battery-draining coffee break games that have endless replay value.

I've already played games like Pixel Dungeon to death on my tablet and I'm not crazy about clicker games.

Hungry Cat Picross is my first suggestion.

If you like word stuff/Boggle, Ruzzle is my second. Ads have gotten a little obnoxious apparently, I bought no-ads but the gf got sick of them quick.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Knightmare posted:

This is still The Best Game™ and recently got another level pack update.

the auschwitz diet
Mar 19, 2004
I toast mine own alcoholism

Knightmare posted:

If you like word stuff/Boggle, Ruzzle is my second. Ads have gotten a little obnoxious apparently, I bought no-ads but the gf got sick of them quick.

Spellspire is a pretty good word game too, similar gameplay with some RPG-esque overlay. No ads is cheap.

5thMouseButton
Jun 6, 2010

Pile of Kittens posted:

Why on earth would you want to play Ticket to Ride without your friends right there to start a fistfight with over the final scoring phase??

That's the thing, friends introduced me to this game & I'm so bad as a new player it's not even close come the end.

Thanks for these, though none look too appealing right off I'll try them anyway.

Kinda did a bad job explaining why Ticket to Ride is fun for me but I'm not really sure why it takes and Hearthstone types don't. I think part might be that I have a gameboard to stare at instead of a hand of cards/played cards only & the gameboard is the same between games.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Deakul posted:

Triple Town and Threes! always end up finding its way onto every new phone I get. Also Uncharted: Fortune Hunter is a surprisingly great puzzler.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Azathoth posted:

I have been playing the hell out of this lately and I've finally beaten the game and unlocked everything, and now I'm looking for something else to scratch this particular itch.

Here's what I'm looking for:

Turn-based, so it can be put down at any time and pick it back up without problems. If I have to get up unexpectedly to go do something, I don't want to either lose progress or have to say "wait a few minutes while I finish this level".

Some kind of progression, with unlocks/upgrades that allow for tackling of harder content. I don't mind, and even enjoy, some Roguelikes, but can't stand the ones that mean a momentary lapse in concentration or a bad tactical choice mean that I'm back to the point where I first installed the game. I don't mind death, goodness knows I died a ton in Guild of Dungeoneering, but the death in there was handled well. A happy medium between the game punishing me severely for my sins and death means nothing would be nice.

Playable enjoyably in short bursts, but without artificial limitations that would prevent playing longer if time allows.

No ads, no non-cosmetic IAP definitely, preferably no IAP at all, no dual in-game currency where you can do daily quests and slowly grind one kind or pay real money for another. I hope you can all recognize the kind of profit model that I'm talking about. I know that this means that I will have to pay up-front for the game, and I'm cool with that.

Some level of tactics and/or customization so it feels like in addition to progressing, I'm also getting better at the game. I tried Battlefleet Gothic Leviathan, and while it was close to what I want, it just wasn't fun to play. It had all the tactical depth one could ever want, but somewhere between considering relative weapon tradeoffs, zones of fire, and ship turning radii, it crossed that ill-defined line between game and work. Something that strikes a balance between no skill required and memorize the rulebook to have a chance to win.

Thoughts?

FTL is probably your best bet. Premium game with no IAP.

Not quite turn based, but you can pause during battles to issue commands or to resume later. The campaign screen is not real time.

There are bunch of ships, each with different configurations and crews, so there is a sense of progression.

It definitely requires tactics, and you will die at first. A lot. On easy. Like, a lot a lot. Don't get frustrated, because despite what it seems, it is very beatable. Once you get the hang of it you can almost coast to victory on easy. With some ships I can beat easy every single time. Others are a little more RNG dependant, but I can still win way more often than not.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Deakul posted:

Desert Golfing.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
FTL isn't on Android (yet? Hopefully?)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Lowness 72 posted:

I thought it just wasn't phone friendly, but on tablets.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Lowness 72 posted:

Huh, you're right. I have an iPad and android phone, so I don't pay a lot of attention to what is on which platform since I have access one way or the other.

It's on PC though, and I still highly recommend it.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

nigga crab pollock posted:

are there any quake 1 engine ports for android that work now? preferable ones that support software rendering but hey im not gonna complain

q14a is a darkplaces port that almost works but apparently lolipop broke it and it's been broken for a while

If you don't mind getting it off the Amazon app store, there's one that works there. Even has controller support built in. It uses Dark Places too, I think. It's called Q-Touch. I have it on my Shield Portable.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Enigma posted:

Huh, you're right. I have an iPad and android phone, so I don't pay a lot of attention to what is on which platform since I have access one way or the other.

It's on PC though, and I still highly recommend it.
Yeah, I've played it a good bit on PC, definitely worth it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Stat command will scratch the ftl itch.. it's very much ftl lite.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Looking for a good golf game. I have desert golfing, super stickman golf, and I've got neo turf wars (might be forgetting the name) wishlisted. Any others?

I really love the early-90s pc golf aesthetic, if any game has that going for it. :allears:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Flappy Golf. The name says it all, and it is legitimately fun. It was created for a "flappy" game jam but they've added more stuff since then. It's made by the Stickman Golf people.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I'm digging Tracky Trains but it runs like poo poo on my Galaxy S5. If I use any train with more than 4 cars it slows way down and the input lag makes it unplayable. Anyone else experience this? Is there a fix?

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Hobo Clown posted:

I'm digging Tracky Trains but it runs like poo poo on my Galaxy S5. If I use any train with more than 4 cars it slows way down and the input lag makes it unplayable. Anyone else experience this? Is there a fix?

This was also my experience, and the only fix I found was to uninstall it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Flappy Golf. The name says it all, and it is legitimately fun. It was created for a "flappy" game jam but they've added more stuff since then. It's made by the Stickman Golf people.

Well, I tried it, it's alright, but I don't think it really clicks with me.

More general question: What are some of the best sports games (I don't care what sport) that aren't riddled with IAP or timers? Some are fine, but when most of the game is behind an unending paywall, that sucks.

I don't mind premium app costs when it's the full thing (like Neo Turf Masters).

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

More general question: What are some of the best sports games (I don't care what sport) that aren't riddled with IAP or timers? Some are fine, but when most of the game is behind an unending paywall, that sucks.

I don't mind premium app costs when it's the full thing (like Neo Turf Masters).

I recommend Motorsport Manager

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Pro strategy football is pretty great.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Reigns is a new card-based casual strategy/CYOA-kinda game where as a monarch you make rulings for your kingdom by swiping cards left or right (like Tinder) while trying to balance support from the church, military etc. It's pretty interesting, and while I was a bit concerned whether there's enough content in the game to justify the $3 price tag, it looks like there's actually quite a bit of stuff to uncover.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Aug 10, 2016

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Has anyone actually given this a shot? It seems close enough to Game Dev that it might be interesting.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I like both College Football Coach and Pro Football Coach. They are extremely simple games compared to Pro Strategy Football, but I still got some entertainment out of them trying to turn awful programs into national championship powerhouses.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Just noticed that it's been three months since my last Google Opinion Survey. As far as I know, I've never fallen into one of those "this place doesn't exist" traps or answered too strangely, but I sent feedback to see if they'll tell me if i got flagged somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

delfin posted:

Just noticed that it's been three months since my last Google Opinion Survey. As far as I know, I've never fallen into one of those "this place doesn't exist" traps or answered too strangely, but I sent feedback to see if they'll tell me if i got flagged somehow.

It's been 10 months since my last survey. Instead I get google asking me questions about locations like whether they deliver.

I think I've been moved to the free survey platform :(