Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
The "Trump is in the pocket of Russia" thing is very cool because it speaks directly to the "insane conspiracy theory"part of his base, which is a lot of them

It won't get literally any of them to vote for Hillary, but i do think it could make a lot of them stay home on election day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
We still don't know what crazy skeletons will be dredged up from Trumps closet because everyone is content to let him keep kicking his own rear end.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hodgepodge posted:

Trump also had massive unfavourables going into all this. After a solid half a year of horrible poo poo that would have been gaffes outside of the Republican primary and election gaffes, no one is going to suddenly decide they like Trump if he calms down and manages to stay on his repugnant as gently caress message just because he manages to not poo poo himself in process of articulating it.

Like Charlie Sheen hasn't gone on a manic bender in awhile, has anyone began to think of him as calm and stable just because he isn't going on talk shows talking about how hard he's winning or how much crack he used to smoke anymore?
Maybe, but now that we're in actual election season more people are paying attention to this stuff than before

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ghetto Prince posted:

We still don't know what crazy skeletons will be dredged up from Trumps closet because everyone is content to let him keep kicking his own rear end.

It's a great strategy provided he doesn't care about winning, but does want to make it out without having his past and personal fortune investigated too closely

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

sarmhan posted:

The polls have been consistently awful for Trump for the last 2 weeks so the models are converging. The polls-plus is just super conservative.

Yeah, even at 75% I'd guess the polls-plus model is getting nearish to its reasonable maximum this far out from the election. Basically who knows what might happen between now and November, sort of thing.

CelestialScribe posted:

She's going to lose North Carolina, Ohio and Florida.
Ahahahaha. Beautiful.

What polls are you un-skewing to get this? Or are you just certain that Trump's campaign will somehow turn around in the next few months?

Anyway, I'll counter your 270-to-win map with this one, I suppose.

Bad Moon posted:

My mother, who is a racist old korean lady who is slightly to the right of Atilla the Hun and has hated the Clintons since the 90s, pretty much went "welp gently caress that guy guess I'm voting Hilary" when I had a conversation about with her about Trump's ties to Putin who she hates even more.

She then started talking about how if the news (Fox of course) keeps saying the economy is bad, why does her Stocks app that came with her iphone keep having green numbers and a graph going up.

It was a :stare: moment for me as I've abandoned talking about politics with her since I was in Jr High.

This story made me very happy.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 15, 2016

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Ciaphas posted:

I think I kind of half get it from context but can anyone tell me what "arzy" means or refers to?

Freaking out that a candidate is going to lose at any mention of any negative news about said candidate, or any poll that shows a slight movement in the wrong direction.

Obama's 08 manager David Plouffe calls this "bedwetting" which is a little more evocative.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

I think I kind of half get it from context but can anyone tell me what "arzy" means or refers to?

What Antti said, plus: It's named after a guy famous for arzying during the 2008 and 2012 election: http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2431

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Hillary is up by so much that my dad finally stopped Arzying and started discussing taking back the senate, and how many House seats we might be able to take.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Combed Thunderclap posted:

The new NYT story is pretty tame, we already knew Manafort worked in the Ukrainian sphere when its government was a Russian puppet, which automatically puts you a few degrees of influence away from Putin. The tweets promising more dirt in that direction might get some of the super paranoid patriots to consider voting Johnson instead, but it seems unlikely to sway the minds of those already solidly supporting Trump, who genuinely want someone like Putin in power anyway.

From a Paul Manafort side this is not remotely tame because these allegations might carry any number of serious charges coming with them. From Trump's side he's left with a number of very bad options ranging from firing Manafort and dealing with whatever fallout comes with making the worse possible choice to replace him or not firing him and magnifying a deeply unpopular narrative and/or proving that he's unable to manage personnel in a remotely presidential manner. Best case this is basically going to flush another week down the trump toilet that he's not getting back.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Maybe, but now that we're in actual election season more people are paying attention to this stuff than before

Yeah, but there's no one who doesn't know who Trump is. Both his initial success and his terrible favourability with the nation as a whole in the primaries were the result of his celebrity having already firmly defined him in popular consciousness. It also means that even though people might not have been paying attention to politics, they've been aware that celebrity Donald Trump has been making headlines saying entertainingly crazy poo poo for a good nine months and the context just happened to be politics.

They weren't paying attention to politics, but that doesn't matter so much because news about Trump is celebrity news and reaches people even (or maybe especially) if they won't be paying attention to politics at all or voting in the election.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Bad Moon posted:

My mother, who is a racist old korean lady who is slightly to the right of Atilla the Hun and has hated the Clintons since the 90s, pretty much went "welp gently caress that guy guess I'm voting Hilary" when I had a conversation about with her about Trump's ties to Putin who she hates even more.

She then started talking about how if the news (Fox of course) keeps saying the economy is bad, why does her Stocks app that came with her iphone keep having green numbers and a graph going up.

It was a :stare: moment for me as I've abandoned talking about politics with her since I was in Jr High.

And on the other side of the aisle you've got my dad, a white southern man who's voted Republican since 1980 but with a mild libertarian streak that amounts to not caring one way or the other about gay marriage, abortion, or really any issue connected with religion. When I talked with him early on during the primary season, he hated Trump, balked at the idea of his Muslim immigration ban, and said that if Trump won he'd probably vote third party (and, incidentally, he said that Trump was a joke candidate that the mainstream media's only paying so much attention to to make Republicans look bad). Last week, I talked with him about politics and this election seems to have completely broken his brain. Now his #1 issue is keeping Muslims out of the country because of the risk of ISIS sleeper agents and because they'll outbreed us and take over. He recognizes that Trump is an idiot, but he's justifying voting for him because "we have checks and balances to keep the president from doing anything too stupid" and he relishes the idea of the federal government grinding to a halt under Trump's incompetent administration because he hates the government. I told him about the ties with Putin and, deflecting the issue, he defended Putin saying something along the lines of "they need a strongman over there in the Middle East and Eastern Europe, authoritarianism is the type of government that works best with those people." :stare:

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Well, now you've made me sad again.

Stories of opinionated parents affect me because my parents' opinions are basicaly just very mild versions of my own. They finally came around to my "gently caress the police" opinion this year, the one issue where we fundamentally disagreed for the last decade, by admitting "too many police departments have a significant culture problem". Yawwn. My parents are too good.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Pakled posted:

And on the other side of the aisle you've got my dad, a white southern man who's voted Republican since 1980 but with a mild libertarian streak that amounts to not caring one way or the other about gay marriage, abortion, or really any issue connected with religion. When I talked with him early on during the primary season, he hated Trump, balked at the idea of his Muslim immigration ban, and said that if Trump won he'd probably vote third party (and, incidentally, he said that Trump was a joke candidate that the mainstream media's only paying so much attention to to make Republicans look bad). Last week, I talked with him about politics and this election seems to have completely broken his brain. Now his #1 issue is keeping Muslims out of the country because of the risk of ISIS sleeper agents and because they'll outbreed us and take over. He recognizes that Trump is an idiot, but he's justifying voting for him because "we have checks and balances to keep the president from doing anything too stupid" and he relishes the idea of the federal government grinding to a halt under Trump's incompetent administration because he hates the government. I told him about the ties with Putin and, deflecting the issue, he defended Putin saying something along the lines of "they need a strongman over there in the Middle East and Eastern Europe, authoritarianism is the type of government that works best with those people." :stare:

He's a gop-first kind of dude for sure. Party first!!

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Pakled posted:

You should take a road trip to the Grand Canyon with him and have a long talk about what it means to be an American and then push him off a cliff.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Ditocoaf posted:

Well, now you've made me sad again.

Stories of opinionated parents affect me because my parents' opinions are basicaly just very mild versions of my own. They finally came around to my "gently caress the police" opinion this year, the one issue where we fundamentally disagreed for the last decade, by admitting "too many police departments have a significant culture problem". Yawwn. My parents are too good.

After my dad gets a couple drinks in him he'll let you know that the Bush presidency should've ended with mass hangings on the White House lawn. His big post-retirement hobby is alienating as many people he knows as possible on facebook.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Kilroy posted:

You should take a road trip to the Grand Canyon with him and have a long talk about what it means to be an American and then push him off a cliff.

Dad, I want you to know that I love you. But this is for the greater good of the country you claim to love.

In all seriousness, I am sorry to hear that your father is like that. Maybe he will calm down eventually...

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Kilroy posted:

Operation Galt's Gulch is a go.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

axeil posted:

I'm an athiest and if ISIS or someone attacked the Vatican I'd be 100% for violent intervention. The Pope is cool, even if we don't agree on everything.

Do you think our drones are currently flying around and dropping birthday cakes and presents?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I find it interesting on 538 the Predicted Polls and Now-Cast are within a point of each other and the Polls-plus is totally broken

What an election

This is just a reflection of how Trump is running out of time to turn the ship around. Polls-Plus assumes that the results will "level off" just as a function of time and goldfish-memory, but if Trump keeps making unforced errors, well, even a goldfish will remember what happened in October.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

gfsincere posted:

Do you think our drones are currently flying around and dropping birthday cakes and presents?

Why else would we be sending them to all the weddings?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Obscure question: are there any animals that are buried in Arlington? Are there any Presidential pets, specifically, buried there?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Does anyone remember an article from the last 1-3 years about uninsured people in Kansas who were slowly dying from illnesses that could be easily treated who were angry that they couldn't get benefits from the system that they were sure gave assistance to other people?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

theflyingorc posted:

The "Trump is in the pocket of Russia" thing is very cool because it speaks directly to the "insane conspiracy theory"part of his base, which is a lot of them

It won't get literally any of them to vote for Hillary, but i do think it could make a lot of them stay home on election day

You can't disprove a negative, and for the world's most prominent birther it's ironic.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

gradenko_2000 posted:

Obscure question: are there any animals that are buried in Arlington? Are there any Presidential pets, specifically, buried there?

You aren't allowed to bury animals in Arlington.

Now, have you heard about this bear...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Antti posted:

You aren't allowed to bury animals in Arlington.
Thanks, that clears it up.

Antti posted:

Now, have you heard about this bear...
TANK DESTROYERS :black101:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Arzy was a poster who would regularly experience huge meltdowns throughout the election cycle over what was often inconsequential poo poo, it basically means over-speculating or over-panicking in an election thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2431

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

QuarkJets posted:

Arzy was a poster who would regularly experience huge meltdowns throughout the election cycle over what was often inconsequential poo poo, it basically means over-speculating or over-panicking in an election thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2431

He also worked in the finance industry but couldn't interpret a chart showing quartiles.

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

Solkanar512 posted:

He also worked in the finance industry but couldn't interpret a chart showing quartiles.

And didn't understand income tax brackets.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Bueno Papi posted:

And didn't understand income tax brackets.

He was a special boy

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

CelestialScribe posted:

She is not going to win all 50 states. Jesus Christ.

I'm as Arzy as they come and even I know she's going to win (albeit with 270-something votes, not over 300).

She might win Georgia. Might. Anything else? No way, sorry. Not going to happen.

hey guys maybe we should start ignoring the dumb australian that believes trump could lose ga and at the same time win fl, nc, and oh.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hillary Clinton will win exactly as many electoral votes as the illuminati allows.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Not sure about pets at Arlington, but I know specifically that Socks the Cat was cremated and his ashes are kept at the Clinton Presidential Museum.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

sudo rm -rf posted:

hey guys maybe we should start ignoring the dumb australian that believes trump could lose ga and at the same time win fl, nc, and oh.

That's not what I meant. I meant "anything else" regarding a 50-state strategy.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
If that LA Times poll has her up by 4 for the last couple days, I suspect we're going to see some outsize leads from other polls later this week. Maybe a +20 in store, heh.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/765156672310566912

manafort's response to the Ukraine money thing. it's what you'd expect

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

gradenko_2000 posted:

apparently not:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...fghanistan.html

Though animals may have been buried there pre-civil-war.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
50-state strategy doesn't mean you expect to win all 50 states. It means you place groundwork everywhere, you plant the seeds. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers S1 E41 Rita's Seed of Evil

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I would totally vote for a Rita Repulsa ticket.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

emdash posted:

I must be catching benghazitis, because I so want to see Manafort before some sort of a commission. Grilled for 11 hours. Trump can answer questions, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

emdash posted:

Crooked Paul! Sad!

• Locked thread