Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Sagebrush posted:

anthony burgess made up all the slang in A Clockwork Orange specifically so it would be impossible to date. it worked pretty well imo.

Trig Discipline posted:

speaking of impossible to date, how you doin

:haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
if you've got any yarbles

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

im gaye posted:

old gay shark cant chew its food

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's unclear what your own stance is. Are you asserting that these films reflect no ideology (lol), or that I've misinterpreted them?

Man Of Steel is an anticapitalist film about collective responsibility. Its thesis is that the capitalist system is gradually transforming Earth into a dystopian hell, and we need to work together and make some radical change to prevent that inevitability.

The Avengers are, as a contrast, literally employees of a private corporate foundation. Their primary target, as in Ghostbusters, is an illuminati/NWO conspiracy. There is no anticapitalism. The main concern is promoting 'small government', to the point that the latest plotline involves small-government Tony Stark losing sight of his values and being supplanted by an even-smaller-government Steve Rogers.

Nerds - who, of course, control the nerd websites that are currently mainstreaming the latest memes - are mostly liberal but disproportionately libertarian. (Hence bitcoin). As a consequence, 'fun' is generally defined in libertarian terms. Fun is running a profitable business in defiance of regulators, marketing yourself effectively, being celebrated as a genius for developing profitable new technologies, being needed because of your genius - being able to look down and whisper "No."

And so-on.

My point is that people who look up Rotten Tomatoe scores don't actually read the reviews. The vast majority of online critics are idiots.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
How can someone write so much about comic books

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I believe I can speak with authority that no one sets out to, it just kind-of happens.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Dillbag posted:

Are we talking about goons who work at NASA?

I think it eventually came out that this guy was just a janitor or something and had no reason to be strapped. Not even a space janitor, just a regular old earth janitor.

No offence to the earth janitors out there.

Van Dis posted:

My favorite thing about this image is how he meticulously blended the baseboards and floorboards together :allears:

Strudel Man posted:

What do you mean? That's an unedited photo. He's just beside himself with satisfaction at his gear.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

plain blue jacket posted:

How can someone write so much about comic books

brain disease

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Pleads posted:

I heard Ryan Lochte was involved in snuff tourism that night and needed an excuse to lose a few hundred in cash. Pass it on.

Kurtofan posted:

what the hell is snuff tourism.

Vasily Tokarev posted:

Paying for the thrill of killing a poor local.

tater_salad posted:

oh so he paid to join the police for a day?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
:newlol:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Future Days posted:

Played Nuclear Throne Together with a friend with two steroids + double guitar + crown of blood + hardmode. poo poo was so intense I started hyperventilating and my arms and legs went numb. I had to stop playing for a while to recover. FYI I'm a non smoker, there aren't any congenital heart issues in my family, and I indulge in all kinds of seizure-inducing indie games. I think I should see a doctor.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Well, the game does seem to be a souped-up version of the infamously heart-attack-inducing Berzerk.

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

Dr Christmas posted:

Feminists who talk about video games have awakened the deep-seated, almost primal fear that Mom is going to take your video games away if she sees that they have blood in them.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

I remember seeing that a few months ago and being stunned at how perfectly it summed up that whole movement.

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

trapped mouse posted:

I remember seeing that a few months ago and being stunned at how perfectly it summed up that whole movement.

Dammit, mother!

Just let me be a bit repellant!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Chinaman7000 posted:

most of the new drinks at gas stations are loving awful these days. I keep trying trendy cool looking drinks and they taste like piss, which I'm usually into

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Zootopia pretty much literally deploys the metaphor of "a wolf in sheep's" clothing (possibly a slur in this context?) to assert there's a conspiracy to eliminate (white) masculinity. The ultimate project of the film is uniting predator and prey around the expulsion of the jewish/illuminati poisoner literally corrupting their precious bodily fluids.

Recall that the plot was originally a riff on Fight Club, with a literal fight clubs.

'Predatory behavior' is a straightforward metaphor for patriarchy in general, which is 'over now' and 'in the past'. Hence why the ultimate fantasized threat to the zoo-utopia are these outbursts of terror: school shooters, black men 'chimping out' 'going feral', muslim extremists, etc. And that's where you're implored to google Loose Change and watch out for crisis actors.

Once we've established that terror doesn't exist, that it's a plot by the Sheepish cabal, we can look at the the film's actual message - and that's just some rudimentary partisan politics.

The film is not 'predator versus prey' but 'liberal versus conservative' (Democrat versus Republican), where conservatives are those who still accept the predator/prey dynamic. Note the dopey and harmless redneck farmers, who still quirkily behave like prey even though 'oppression is over now'. They may as well be immigrants from 'the old country', where ill-defined atrocity took place.

The conspiracy theory is deployed to explain why America's two-party system doesn't seem to work, because the film's thesis is that we're at the end of history, and liberalism is officially the greatest political ideology. (The lesser of all evils.) Hence: "Life's a little bit messy. We all make mistakes. No matter what type of animal you are, change starts with you." Provided, of course, that change doesn't threaten the zoo-utopia itself. We might have these silly partisan squabbles every election year, but ultimately both Trump and Hillary are good. The system works.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

SMG owns

LSD CURES JUNKIES
Sep 12, 2013

hypersleep posted:

I'm looking for advice on how to deal with how awful my nose feels.

The post is a lot longer,he's been snorting coke which is irritating his nose a lot more than his normal routine of snorting heroin and he's starting to have bloody chunks come out when he blows his nose.

Response

Robot Pride posted:

Learn to cook it up then smoke it. Nose problems gone.

My nigga have you tried smoking crack? :cocaine:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I wonder if SMG is actually a person or just an algorithm that collects all of the overly intellectual poo poo posts on SA and makes a word salad out of them that people take seriously for some reason.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

his stuff is really fun, I like the way he stretches interpretation past the breaking point

but then a person will unironically agree "hmmm, yes, it clearly was about the Illuminati" and i am upset

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I love SMG's posts. There's something magical about how angry he makes goons just by saying weird stuff about their favorite movies. :allears:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Tracula posted:

I wonder if SMG is actually a person or just an algorithm that collects all of the overly intellectual poo poo posts on SA and makes a word salad out of them that people take seriously for some reason.

The problem is he was a great unique voice, then 5000 complete retards tried to unironically imitate him so now CineD is a cesspool of shitposts about how Man of Steel and Transformers 4 are masterpieces and Kubrick, Spielberg, and Kurosawa are hacks.

Mods please delete CD.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I like when he drive-by posts and drops a huge wall of creative nonsense into a thread for everyone to deal with but he has a habit of getting bogged down in earnestly boring arguments about it

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's nothing unique about him, every site that talks about movies has an SMG.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Aphrodite posted:

There's nothing unique about him, every site that talks about movies has an SMG.

Do you have any evidence its not all the same person?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

The problem is he was a great unique voice, then 5000 complete retards tried to unironically imitate him so now CineD is a cesspool of shitposts about how Man of Steel and Transformers 4 are masterpieces and Kubrick, Spielberg, and Kurosawa are hacks.

Mods please delete CD.

I keep up with the Internet Critics thread in RGD and shamefully have pages worth of posts there. I could link poo poo Hbomberguy has said there, not least of all him genuinely complimenting DarksydePhil and his fast food Let's Eat videos. Actually gently caress it. Here's the post.

Hbomberguy posted:

Dark Syde Phil's reviews where he eats a fast food or a burger with one hand while holding a camera with the other and reviews them are amazing and perfect. Every single video uses different review criteria based on how he feels that day (sometimes it's in comparison to other foods from that fast food place, sometimes it's in comparison to real fancy restaurants, etc.). You could not make a parody if you tried. They're amazing and also give a really good experience of what fast food looks like outside of the advertising. I stopped eating fast food because of these and also because Phil seems to have developed gout as a result of constantly eating garbage for review purposes.

Also off topic, but his cooking videos brought me to tears. He does zero planning, to the point of not even knowing the names of the foods he is making. One video is just labelled 'family breakfast mystery' because no-one ever told him what it was called.

I genuinely resent posting this here. I'm sorry.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I have a degree in film myself, and amateur film review/criticism is something I've done off and on for a very long time. SMG's breakdowns aren't really all that foreign to the film school circles, there's TONS of guys just like him finding meaning in stuff where it doesn't belong. The funny thing is half the time I actually see what he's talking about completely. My main problem with him is that he's the sort where he then also refuses to listen to other interpretations of things, or well thought out rebuttals. Just "Nope, my interpretation is the ONLY one, and you're an idiot if you disagree."

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
What makes SMG work is that in some of his posts you will see readings and interpretations that actually work for the film or whatever but then he will completely spin it to be something you wouldn't expect for him to go with it that leads into crazy town.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Mods please delete CD.

Anyone who thinks this is the totality of CD are probably only posting in comic book movie threads which tend to be poo poo no matter what.
And star wars threads.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
I expected better hogge, I'm not angry I'm just disappointed

Edit: smg has never been funny

plain blue jacket has a new favorite as of 17:28 on Aug 18, 2016

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

LSD CURES JUNKIES posted:

The post is a lot longer,he's been snorting coke which is irritating his nose a lot more than his normal routine of snorting heroin and he's starting to have bloody chunks come out when he blows his nose.
I love tcc

quote:

I've been doing a sinus rinse using saline solution a few times a day, and I'm trying not to do anything that would hinder the recovery process (other than snorting some heroin a couple times a day,
oh well sorting heroin is no big deal so that cant be why your nose wont heal

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

HoboTech posted:

the forums are like someone else's house where i don't really know anyone inside of it and i don't own anything there but i can stand around and listen to their conversations and maybe slip a word or two in that gets promptly ignored but really i'm just happy to be there anyway and the bathroom has those little soaps that look like seashells that no one ever uses but they smell nice when you're taking a poo poo in someone else's house

thanks for letting me poo poo in your house lowtax

thanks

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Citizen Tayne posted:

Reminder, just about all those Americans competing at the Olympics are rich too.

theflyingorc posted:

especially the horse events lol

theflyingorc posted:

"when i was growing up in the inner city, there were only two ways out: start dealing drugs or spend every afternoon teaching a horse to dance to pop music"

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

PBS Newshour posted:

SMG is a treasure. Sure it is one of those Indiana Jones "melt your face off" treasures, but, drat it, he is a treasure.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

I have a degree in film myself, and amateur film review/criticism is something I've done off and on for a very long time. SMG's breakdowns aren't really all that foreign to the film school circles, there's TONS of guys just like him finding meaning in stuff where it doesn't belong. The funny thing is half the time I actually see what he's talking about completely. My main problem with him is that he's the sort where he then also refuses to listen to other interpretations of things, or well thought out rebuttals. Just "Nope, my interpretation is the ONLY one, and you're an idiot if you disagree."

This is the real problem with SMG. There's nothing really wrong with his gimmick and I enjoy it, I even enjoy the challenge to movies I like because I don't see things through his particular brand of autism. The problem is that he and those who like him (or like fanning the flames around him) quash any possible discussion via sheer force of personality and numbers. It's lame and I'm glad that more of SA is tired of that poo poo.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I never see SMG posts outside of this thread, do people actually take his gimmick seriously or what?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Heath posted:

I never see SMG posts outside of this thread, do people actually take his gimmick seriously or what?

everyone in cinema discusso, including himself

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Every day I pray that our government would open its eyes to the fact that life for everyone would be a lot better if they just stopped doing awful poo poo.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

mind the walrus posted:

This is the real problem with SMG. There's nothing really wrong with his gimmick and I enjoy it, I even enjoy the challenge to movies I like because I don't see things through his particular brand of autism. The problem is that he and those who like him (or like fanning the flames around him) quash any possible discussion via sheer force of personality and numbers. It's lame and I'm glad that more of SA is tired of that poo poo.

I don't follow any CD threads, so I guess that explains why I got the exact opposite impression. I only ever see his funny/weird/kinda-sorta-makes-sense-if-you-squint posts quoted outside of CD, and a bunch of goons falling over themselves to tell everyone how bad SMG is regardless of the quality of the post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

mind the walrus posted:

I get the opposite impression really, that whenever he posts, people fall over themselves to poo poo on his admittedly weird & far out ideas.

Though I too mostly see his posts quoted in here. Then I go check the context sometimes, and it's just a weird crazy whitenoise argument that goes nowhere instead of wherever interesting it might go.