Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Raerlynn posted:

How many of you would be okay if tomorrow Trump waged a similar campaign against CNN, NBC, or <insert other media outlet here>? Or if the Kochs did the same thing to a presidential candidate? I wouldn't be so quick to cheer that a billionaire decided to personally ruin an organization out of spite, and succeeded, just because you don't agree with that organization - the same tactic can be used tomorrow to demolish something that actually does some good in the world.

i would love to see trump throw his money away on a dumb grudge match against a media institution that knows better than to post video of hulk hogan's penis

like any fear i might have had about ~suppression of free speech~ is mitigated by the fact that gawker actually did post video of hulk hogan's penis, which is a bad thing to do, and i dont think the first amendment should cover the freedom to sexually humiliate someone on a national level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Radish posted:

That guy was (sorta since there were no real consequences) thrown under the bus since he's literally no different than the rest of those scum.

He was different in that he ripped off rich people, too.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i would love to see trump throw his money away on a dumb grudge match against a media institution that knows better than to post video of hulk hogan's penis

like any fear i might have had about ~suppression of free speech~ is mitigated by the fact that gawker actually did post video of hulk hogan's penis, which is a bad thing to do, and i dont think the first amendment should cover the freedom to sexually humiliate someone on a national level

The same tactics nearly ruined MotherJones despite the disturbing lack of peen on their website.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Dr Cheeto posted:

He was different in that he ripped off rich people, too.

That's what always fucks these guys.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

sean10mm posted:

Keep in mind that there is some margin of error to each poll, so one poll moving say 1% either way doesn't actually "mean" anything. Taken as a whole he's doing the worst he ever has... right about now. PEC has Clinton's win % the highest ever at 88% today.

To add to this, that remaining 12% chance for Trump doesn't actually mean he's scraped up those odds through performance. Models like this bake in the possibility of future change in either direction, so that 12% basically just means "the sky technically has three months to fall".

If the polls stay exactly where they are now through to November, Trump's odds will gradually get worse, rather than holding steady, as he runs out of time to turn things around.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Need we remind you, Peter Thiel backs Trump.

Let's go ask Trump how he feels about Freedom of the Press. Nobody is defending the low down poo poo Gawker pulled, but Peter Theil doesn't live in reality, as shown by him announcing as a gay guy at the GOP National Convetion in the same room where multiple other people gave speeches about how gays needed to be expelled from daily life.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Radish posted:

That guy was (sorta since there were no real consequences) thrown under the bus since he's literally no different than the rest of those scum.

Yeah, I got a little tired of the Martin Shkreli bashing on facebook after awhile because my cries of "he's literally no different than any other CEO you loving morons" went unheeded. I mean, there are actively less horrible people but they all gently caress you over the same.

God drat I remember a few years ago when my insurance stopped covering insulin pens and I had to go back to vial/syringe for everything. It's god damned abominable and when I complained about it the insurance company was like "well unless you have a medical condition that makes using a syringe difficult then you don't need an insulin pen." gently caress this loving healthcare system in it's vile awful rear end.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Luigi Thirty posted:

Meanwhile in Full Medical Communism Now, Epipen prices have risen from $100 to $600 for a 2-pack since 2009. The drug itself costs only a couple dollars to produce.. The company that makes them says they've changed the price to "better reflect important product features and the value the product provides."

Well being alive is priceless...

Raerlynn posted:

This. Nuance is a lost art it seems. I'm not defending Gawkers history as a tabloid, but the number of people overlooking out tacitly endorsing how this comeuppance came about is unsettling.

How many of you would be okay if tomorrow Trump waged a similar campaign against CNN, NBC, or <insert other media outlet here>? Or if the Kochs did the same thing to a presidential candidate? I wouldn't be so quick to cheer that a billionaire decided to personally ruin an organization out of spite, and succeeded, just because you don't agree with that organization - the same tactic can be used tomorrow to demolish something that actually does some good in the world.

Especially since Trump has said that's exactly what he'll make easier if he wins.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CommieGIR posted:

Need we remind you, Peter Thiel backs Trump.

Let's go ask Trump how he feels about Freedom of the Press. Nobody is defending the low down poo poo Gawker pulled, but Peter Theil doesn't live in reality, as shown by him announcing as a gay guy at the GOP National Convetion in the same room where multiple other people said gays needed to be expelled from daily life.

i agree, that people i dont agree with are crazy and so god drat stupid

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

might need to watch out for bridge salesmen if you think this precedent will only ever apply to people or organizations that have actually done something "bad"

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Have the Naked Trump statues been posted yet? Because holy poo poo!

http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/18/12538672/nude-donald-trump-statues-union-square-los-angeles-indecline

edit: Also as a human being the Epi Pen story upsets me. As a parent of a 2 year old with an egg and peanut allergy that has to have EpiPens at all times, it enrages me to a state of irrationality. It's disgusting.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

i agree, that people i dont agree with are crazy and so god drat stupid

:psyduck: What the gently caress is wrong with you.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Raerlynn posted:

How many of you would be okay if tomorrow Trump waged a similar campaign against CNN, NBC, or <insert other media outlet here>?
If they had done something else that grossly unethical? Yeah, actually. Unless it's a video of Hillary and she has "I MURDERED VINCE FOSTER" Tattood on her anus, seeing an unconsenting sex tape shouldn't ever be "newsworthy" or "public interest" or whatever

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

emdash posted:

might need to watch out for bridge salesmen if you think this precedent will only ever apply to people or organizations that have actually done something "bad"

otoh rich people have been attacking each other in courts and in media for ever and free speech somehow still exists

like there's a definite chronological bias to thinking that here, now, we are finally witnessing the downfall of society and the destruction of all that is good because it would just be so weird if our own personal lives didn't correspond to the narrative arc of the universe but actually, turns out, we'll be fine

CommieGIR posted:

:psyduck: What the gently caress is wrong with you.

i dunno i just don't think that people are obviously crazy if they do something i disagree with

maybe i view human behavior through lenses other than political consistency :shrug:

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

emdash posted:

bbbbut there's a pew poll where Clinton is only +4 nationwide!!! :derp:

national polls no longer matter now that state polling has started rolling in regularly

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Radish posted:

Adam Carolla

Oh man I totally forgot he existed. I always loved how the entire Man Show was a parody that he wasn't in on and was too stupid to realize.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

This is the site that put out that memo BTW

http://www.realtruenews.org/single-post/2016/08/16/TRUMP-LEADS-IN-BATTLEGROUND-FLORIDA-LEAKED-POLL-SHOWS-TRUTH

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

i dunno i just don't think that people are obviously crazy if they do something i disagree with

maybe i view human behavior through lenses other than political consistency :shrug:

He financially backs a political appointee who has OPENLY expressed wanting to disregard the first amendment. While openly flaunting a party that is wholly against everything he is.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

DrNutt posted:

Yeah, I got a little tired of the Martin Shkreli bashing on facebook after awhile because my cries of "he's literally no different than any other CEO you loving morons" went unheeded. I mean, there are actively less horrible people but they all gently caress you over the same.

God drat I remember a few years ago when my insurance stopped covering insulin pens and I had to go back to vial/syringe for everything. It's god damned abominable and when I complained about it the insurance company was like "well unless you have a medical condition that makes using a syringe difficult then you don't need an insulin pen." gently caress this loving healthcare system in it's vile awful rear end.

Seriously healthcare (specifically life saving medicine and procedures) being tied to profits is so obviously a conflict of interests it's insane to me that everyone acts like the status quo is the only way society can function.

Goatman Sacks posted:

Oh man I totally forgot he existed. I always loved how the entire Man Show was a parody that he wasn't in on and was too stupid to realize.

Yeah back on Loveline he was always a bit of a self centered rear end, but felt like his heart was in the right place. Overtime it became clear he misinterpreted his incredible luck of having met and befrended Jimmy Kimbel as superhuman talent and went down the real libertarian FYGM whirlpool.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 18, 2016

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Radish posted:

Seriously healthcare (specifically live saving medicine and procedures) being tied to profits is so obviously a conflict of interests it's insane to me that everyone acts like the status quo is the only way society can function.

MY loving DAD has the gall to say poo poo like "well the free market will compensate and no one will support companies that actively choose to harm its members" and I'm just like "counterpoint: loving reality motherfucker"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CommieGIR posted:

He financially backs a political appointee who has OPENLY expressed wanting to disregard the first amendment. While openly flaunting a party that is wholly against everything he is.

who knows, maybe he feels differently about it than you do? you're probably not 100% correct about people's motivations, especially people you've never met

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

who knows, maybe he feels differently about it than you do? you're probably not 100% correct about people's motivations, especially people you've never met

On the other hand, what we CAN read is his actions and where he puts his money. And that doesn't reflect well upon your shifting goalposts.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I am not sure what's so hard to understand here but: "it is possible to be appalled that a billionaire used his money, power and influence to silence a media outlet he had a grudge against; and to also think that media outlet flew a little too close to the tabloid sun for comfort."

No you don't understand you have to be 100% on one side or the other and defend your team to the death

Luigi Thirty posted:

Meanwhile in Full Medical Communism Now, Epipen prices have risen from $100 to $600 for a 2-pack since 2009. The drug itself costs only a couple dollars to produce.. The company that makes them says they've changed the price to "better reflect important product features and the value the product provides."

In other words "we wanted more money and let's face it there's nothing you can do to stop us."

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

DrNutt posted:

MY loving DAD has the gall to say poo poo like "well the free market will compensate and no one will support companies that actively choose to harm its members" and I'm just like "counterpoint: loving reality motherfucker"

Ha. Sorry about your dad but I don't get how you are supposed to not support the company that has a patent on the medicince you need to live or live without extreme pain. Like the reality of that situation and the ramifications on a monopoly on things people die without is pretty obvious but is lost on most people because oh noes if they don't make a massive profit no one will make medicine (please ignore Llouis Pasteur) :ohdear:.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CommieGIR posted:

On the other hand, what we CAN read is his actions and where he puts his money. And that doesn't reflect well upon your shifting goalposts.

lol my goalposts haven't moved, this derail started because i was making fun of you for speaking authoritatively on peter theil's mindset and how he must be a crazy hypocrite because of mental states you were assigning him externally. like it seems a bit weird to me for you to call a gay man crazy because he supports the republicans

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I know someone who's ADHD. Their insurance through their parents changed. Whoops, suddenly ADHD meds are no longer "preventative", SORRY HERE'S A 1K USD BILL.

That's not to mention the whole loving over they do with transgender people, but I digress.

https://twitter.com/DylanByers/status/766343831763640320

I'm going to conclude here that a Clinton press conference has the same likelihood as Trump's tax returns: zero. We all know what every single question is going to about : emails or Benghazi.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

DrNutt posted:

Free markets are pretty cool, but there's several places where they simply don't work:
1. When there exists NO COMPETITION between the seller and any competitors
2. When the consumer feels they HAVE NO CHOICE but to purchase the product
3. When the consumer CANNOT POSSIBLY fairly evaluate the quality of what they're getting

The government should regulate all trade where any of these are concerns. Medical care is a combination of 1 and 2, and they DO evaluate medical care for 3 pretty well!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

Free markets are pretty cool, but there's several places where they simply don't work:
1. When there exists NO COMPETITION between the seller and any competitors
2. When the consumer feels they HAVE NO CHOICE but to purchase the product
3. When the consumer CANNOT POSSIBLY fairly evaluate the quality of what they're getting

The government should regulate all trade where any of these are concerns. Medical care is a combination of 1 and 2, and they DO evaluate medical care for 3 pretty well!

Didn't some idiot candidate in the GOP primaries start talking about using Yelp for heart surgury?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Think that was Gary Johnson.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

like it seems a bit weird for me for you to call a gay man crazy because he supports the republicans

Actually, its not very weird. Not very weird at all.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
hello yes i am opposed to the Gawker decision because it means that Peter Thiel succeeded at something, when he is a man who should never be allowed to succeed at anything and should, in fact, drown in a pig manure lagoon

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Radish posted:

Seriously healthcare (specifically life saving medicine and procedures) being tied to profits is so obviously a conflict of interests it's insane to me that everyone acts like the status quo is the only way society can function.

You can't really even talk about modern healthcare without talking about pyramid schemes and MLM except there are no high returns (other than your life) and no real time to consider if you're getting scammed (since you're dying, probably).

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Radish posted:

Didn't some idiot candidate in the GOP primaries start talking about using Yelp for heart surgury?

lol

only 5 star reviews, because anything else and the person is dead. BRILLIANT

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CommieGIR posted:

Actually, its not very weird. Not very weird at all.

alright, if you're comfortable judging the behavior of gay people in reference to what you would expect from them according to their sexuality then, uh, you do you i guess

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Radish posted:

Ha. Sorry about your dad but I don't get how you are supposed to not support the company that has a patent on the medicince you need to live or live without extreme pain.

Yeah, it's quite something. Insurance companies are actively driving people backwards through medical advances in living with diabetes and the whole nation shrugs. Millions of people live with Type 1 Diabetes. This is insane and being forced with the reality of this as I type all this out for basically the first time is making me despair quite fiercely. There are developing nations in which I would be receiving better care for my incurable disease, to say nothing of how much better it would be in say Australia or Sweden. But hey cheap video games, yay capitalism! :smithicide:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

I'm going to conclude here that a Clinton press conference has the same likelihood as Trump's tax returns: zero. We all know what every single question is going to about : emails or Benghazi.

Don't forget the obligatory "why are you so unlikeable?" question.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I think medical/drug patent protection should be rescinded in cases where there is abuse from the company owning the patent.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

alright, if you're comfortable judging the behavior of gay people in reference to what you would expect from them according to their sexuality then, uh, you do you i guess

"Hi, yes? Mr. Hitler? I'm totally a Jewish guy, but hear me out, I openly support you despite your public claims to decimating my family and our friends. Just wanted to let you know I've got your back"

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

iospace posted:

I know someone who's ADHD. Their insurance through their parents changed. Whoops, suddenly ADHD meds are no longer "preventative", SORRY HERE'S A 1K USD BILL.

That's not to mention the whole loving over they do with transgender people, but I digress.

https://twitter.com/DylanByers/status/766343831763640320

Uhh, didn't she hold a press conference (about the emails) like, a week or two ago?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mr Jaunts posted:

Uhh, didn't she hold a press conference (about the emails) like, a week or two ago?

She does one-on-ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mr Jaunts posted:

She had a one on one interview.

e: DAMMIT, ZOUX! :argh:

• Locked thread