Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

gfsincere posted:

An African immigrants word on black society in America is about as useful as a penny with a hole in it. A lot of black people don't really gently caress with Africans like that, because they have bought into the narrative who're people have put out about black people in America (lazy, stupid, violent, etc).

But good job on thinking the 2 wildly separate groups are one and the same.

I'm Jamaican. I live in Atlanta. I interact with other black people a whole bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

gfsincere posted:

White supremacy is everywhere, including here in this little corner of the forum. Also LOL if you think it's only the alt-right that engages in it. Plenty of Berniebros right here on this forum jumped right into form. Also the lack of acknowledgment of why a lot of poo poo is hosed up like it is, and falls short of placing the blame where it is (like police shootings, higher unemployment among minorities, etc) is the power of white supremacy. Being unable to admit the faults your culture causes for others is a huge problem.

Most of us here place the blame for police shootings on racism.

"Your Culture" is a lovely generalization. Again, it's just the same bullshit that racist white guys use to poo poo on black men. My "culture" isn't KKK and Confederate Appreciation any more than yours is crack dealing and home invasions.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Trabisnikof posted:

But the actual genetic science disproves your common sense theory

Your so-called "science" is just whitesplaining.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

gfsincere posted:

Man we wouldn't want someone coming in here and painting an entire race of people with one brush would we

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

Anger is just fine. Calling out white supremacy is fine. When you start making (or appear to make) the incredibly uncomfortable pro-eugenics supremacist arguments then you're not actually being angry, you're descending into the actual language of hate, just from a different direction. If you feel that you feel that way but nobody is any more obligated to pay lip service to your lovely eugenics argument than they are when neo-Nazis do it. If you didn't mean it that way (and I'd prefer not to believe you did) then you phrased what you said extremely poorly. This isn't a tone thing or anything, you didn't 'sound' wrong, you just appeared to be literally arguing in favor of eugenics and seemed an inch away from saying that the only problem is that the REAL superior race isn't in control.

You've done a lot of work and posted about it on these forums if I'm remembering who you are correct so I know you have a lot of strong emotions that you back up with action, but that doesn't mean anyone is obligated to play along with it when you start literally advocating for how eugenics were right.

I never said any of those things. You're basically fighting strawmen that silly rear end racists on here have made up to be my position.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Talmonis posted:

You mean the squalling of a bunch of hicks desperately waving the flag of their dead traitor movement? They're so loud right now, due to the fact that they're losing. Their whole way of thinking is disgusting to the vast majority of the country. The only reason they're not in jail right now is those few senators and congressmen who go to bat for their kind. Many of which are the descendents of the slave owning swine who have always run the south.

America isn't a bastion of hope. It's just a country, a lot like many others. It's done a lot of bad poo poo over the years. None of it compares to what it did to the Native Americans. It's also done a lot of good. Most of that good has been done over the objections of the rich white upper class, who get dragged into prosperity and superiority kicking and screaming every time. Our strength is multiculturalism.

You're not wrong, but who here is doing that?

I never did understand why the symbol of a failed movement to turn the south into its own nation almost certainly doomed to fail even without the Union thanks to its overeliance on agriculture, lack of foreign allies, and extremely large population of oppressed civilians is treated as a symbol of pride to some people. It's the least patriotic thing I can think of and only seems relevant to those longing for an idea of the past that never existed. I can see racism and resentment of any "elites" as a draw, especially for the ones who wave the flag in places that weren't even part of the Confederacy, but otherwise it makes no sense.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

gfsincere posted:

If you're ever wondering how insidious white supremacy is, it's when you write off history and black experience to shitpost and not acknowledge any drat thing.

No, I agree with you. An insidious aspect of white supremacy is that people immediately dismiss the real and sound science of eugenics. As you said, 400 years of slave breeding undoubtedly had an effect on the blacks. To pretend like eugenics doesn't work and then know that GMOs and cross breeding exists is stupid. Most people just don't understand that if you take a population, like the blacks, and just breed them for menial physical labor, it's going to have an effect. That's just science. I'm agreeing with the things you've written.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Amergin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVhMt26F7gA

Truly, white people are the reason black culture has suffered.

Finally you are coming around

Good on you and so progressive to post Tauheed Epps, a 4.0 GPA graduate from Alabama university.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dexo posted:

I must have missed it apologies, can you link it?

It's a book from a wikipedia article cite I found from googling "Jimmy the Greek."

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

I remember this kid! He was interviewed at the RNC (and thinks Obama is a muslim).

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Geostomp posted:

I never did understand why the symbol of a failed movement to turn the south into its own nation almost certainly doomed to fail even without the Union thanks to its overeliance on agriculture, lack of foreign allies, and extremely large population of oppressed civilians is treated as a symbol of pride to some people. It's the least patriotic thing I can think of and only seems relevant to those longing for an idea of the past that never existed. I can see racism and resentment of any "elites" as a draw, especially for the ones who wave the flag in places that weren't even part of the Confederacy, but otherwise it makes no sense.

basically regionalism and 'gently caress the government', when you see someone sporting a rebel flag or waving it they're throwing a middle finger at society / the government in a really crass and racist way

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Jesus wasn't white???????

He did speak English though.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Talmonis posted:

Most of us here place the blame for police shootings on racism.

"Your Culture" is a lovely generalization. Again, it's just the same bullshit that racist white guys use to poo poo on black men. My "culture" isn't KKK and Confederate Appreciation any more than yours is crack dealing and home invasions.

Crack dealing and home invasions can be directly linked to poo poo like the KKK and the confederacy and Southern Strategy, so I don't think you intended to make the point you just made. White culture as a whole has been incredibly terrible to black people, full stop. Any denial of this makes you look like a racist.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Periodiko posted:

No, I agree with you. An insidious aspect of white supremacy is that people immediately dismiss the real and sound science of eugenics. As you said, 400 years of slave breeding undoubtedly had an effect on the blacks. To pretend like eugenics doesn't work and then know that GMOs and cross breeding exists is stupid. Most people just don't understand that if you take a population, like the blacks, and just breed them for menial physical labor, it's going to have an effect. That's just science. I'm agreeing with the things you've written.
Jesus christ no, breeding and GMOs don't prove that eugenics work. The timeframe is all wrong, and slavery wasn't conscious selection in the way it would need to be.
Please stop abusing biology.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

gfsincere posted:

Explain to me when that happened? Or did I in a paraphrased manner explained that when you send a people to the gym for 400+ years where only the strong survive and then one of they only outs from the crushing poverty you put them under is related to the same physical labor they had to sustain for generations, surprise, we might be better.

The traits slavery would have selected for are not really that applicable to modern day pro sports. Enduring long hours in the hot sun while doing repetitive labor is not what makes a sprinter or linebacker or point guard.

Pro sports' position as a vehicle for the oppressed to break the cycle of poverty and subsequent emphasis in oppressed communities are a pretty good solution to the question of why minorities are over represented in pro sports, compared to the general population.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gfsincere posted:

I never said any of those things. You're basically fighting strawmen that silly rear end racists on here have made up to be my position.

gfsincere posted:

Yeah, it's amazing how black people can succeed when they don't have to deal with centuries of white people being truly fuckin awful. It's almost as if white people are pretty much wholly responsible for pretty much any black struggle in America.

gfsincere posted:

Only thing white people in Anerica invented was the post office.

Stop taking credit ITT for poo poo black people have made and calling it "American" when ya white asses still treat us like we aren't.

gfsincere posted:

Look at any major sport we've been given access to in a major way and tell me 400 years of essentially cross fit slavery edition hasn't helped.

gfsincere posted:

Explain African immigrants pretty much crushing it compared to immigrants from anywhere else or the native population in terms of financial success and stability.

Don't worry, I'll wait.

The last is particularly odd when you follow it with this:

gfsincere posted:

An African immigrants word on black society in America is about as useful as a penny with a hole in it. A lot of black people don't really gently caress with Africans like that, because they have bought into the narrative who're people have put out about black people in America (lazy, stupid, violent, etc).

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

gfsincere posted:

Crack dealing and home invasions can be directly linked to poo poo like the KKK and the confederacy and Southern Strategy, so I don't think you intended to make the point you just made. White culture as a whole has been incredibly terrible to black people, full stop. Any denial of this makes you look like a racist.

holy hell, every person disagreeing with you on specific points doesn't then ALSO think that white people have been great to black people

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

The post office is a pretty sweet invention to have on my race's side all told

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

sarmhan posted:

Jesus christ no, breeding and GMOs don't prove that eugenics work. The timeframe is all wrong, and slavery wasn't conscious selection in the way it would need to be.

Thank you. How have we gotten to the point where people are seriously defending the repeatedly rejected bunk of eugenics in this topic?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
ironically the most active mechanism for selectively breeding slaves produced a lot of mixed race slaves

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Dexo posted:

Finally you are coming around

Good on you and so progressive to post Tauheed Epps, a 4.0 GPA graduate from Alabama university.

That did not go the way he thought it would. You beat me to this.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

if there was any sort of eugenic side-effect from plantation slavery it would be far more pronounced in the caribbean / south america where the predominant crop was sugar, which was far more taxing and dangerous than growing cotton

working in cotton fields is hard labor that sucks really bad but it's not quite drop-dead hard, so if we accept this argument that african-americans are genetically superior then it logically follows that afro-carib and afro-brazilian subtypes would be even more superior because they endured even more grueling labor

Usain Bolt?

/sarcasm

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Lol this thread was terrible over the weekend (thanks partially to me) but at least it didn't descend into skull-measuring.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I think periodiko was doing the ol' "this argument has clearly jumped the shark so i'm just gonna deadpan agree while restating his arguments as plainly horrifying" thing

but goddamn, i just don't know anymore

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

You might as well argue that white people have somehow been actively selected in a matter of 3-4 generations to create better swimmers, because Michael Phelps exists.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Geostomp posted:

Thank you. How have we gotten to the point where people are seriously defending the repeatedly rejected bunk of eugenics in this topic?

Because clearly eugenics works, now listen as I pratal on about how everyone not like me shouldnt be allowed to breed.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
So how bout that Trump, huh? What a doofus and/or dingus he is!

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

theflyingorc posted:

holy hell, every person disagreeing with you on specific points doesn't then ALSO think that white people have been great to black people

And yet those points seem to be glossed over to make the "you think eugenics are good!!!11!" strawmen.

Wonder why that is?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Here's a good tweet.
https://twitter.com/MichaelRWarren/status/767771630483435520

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Someone find Donald Trump and put a cellphone with Twitter installed on it in his hand, please, for the good of this thread.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Donald Trump's ancestors were selectively bred to be morons.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gfsincere posted:

And yet those points seem to be glossed over to make the "you think eugenics are good!!!11!" strawmen.

Wonder why that is?

Because you're the one arguing in favor of eugenics as good science. This is not talking your words out of context.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gfsincere posted:

Wonder why that is?

Because you keep saying slavery made black people buff?

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

sarmhan posted:

If you weren't a racist, you'd acknowledge the obvious validity of eugenics.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Like when he bragged about making his buildings meet federal code with regards to the ADA.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

gfsincere posted:

Wonder why that is?
You haven't actually addressed the fact that eugenics isn't scientific at all though. You're the one arguing about strawmen, but you seem unable to defend your own point.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Honestly, when you start a sentence with "breed" and "people" within two words of each other, you should probably halt your post and reconsider your world views regardless of the rest of it.

Even if you think someone else is doing the breeding (:maga:), you're tacitly accepting it's a thing that works. It doesn't. The only thing eugenics brings is genocide.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I, for one, am totally surprised to find out gfsincere holds a lot of awful and racist-as-gently caress beliefs.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

gfsincere posted:

Wonder why that is?

If we've been breeding blacks to be good entertainers, why are so few black movies and actors nominated for Oscars?

Please explain, I'll wait.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Goatman Sacks posted:

Like when he bragged about making his buildings meet federal code with regards to the ADA.

Hey, everyone drinks out of the same fountain in Trump Tower. Can you say the same about the Clinton Foundation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
Clearly race politics is not something to be discussed with a majority white audience, so let's go to something else.

Texas BBQ is terrible just like the entire state.

• Locked thread