Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nessus posted:

One guess is Marla Maples. She was also on those forms and if she said "Yes, I release them" I believe the Donald can't do poo poo nor dick about it, at least not in a timeframe of "before the election."

Marla Maples, savior of the republic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

September 19th, that's before even the debate, right?

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

moebius2778 posted:

It's basically the Bayesian thing of updating your beliefs about the world based on your initial beliefs about the world + the data you observed.

For example, say you thought you probably had a fair coin. And then you flip it N times and get H heads, and T tails. Then you can calculate the probability that the actual probability of getting a heads is p, using Bayes rule and your prior of probably having a fair coin. And then you can add up the probability that p = p1, p = p2, p = p3, etc., until you've got the probability that p is in some interval [p1, pn]. And then what you do is find the interval where there's a 95% probability that p is in that interval (and most likely set it up so that there's a 2.5% chance you're above the interval, and a 2.5% chance that you're below the interval).

That's all fairly straightforward Bayesian calculations. The big thing is:

It looks like you really need to make sure you've designed your sampling technique correctly. And I think you'll also need to have a fairly good idea about the current state of the world (in terms of how likely a given poll result is, and how likely an individual based on whatever variables you're controlling for will answer the poll and answer it in a given way).

Thank you, this was quite informative and much easier to understand than the Ipsos write-up.

I really need to bone up on my Bayesian probability.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

"Millennial Voters May Cost Hillary Clinton The Election."

Uh...I guess as opposed to the other generations. For instance, the ones that will vote for Donald Trump. As in every generation besides millennials.

Also, the Atlantic should toxx and post a map.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

boner confessor posted:

you can write whatever you want on an envelope for a return address, and then just mail it from a collection box in that area

an old trick to scam the mail system is to write your address as the sender, and you recipient address as the return address, and then put insufficient postage on the envelope so it is 'returned' to the person you wanted to send it to anyway :ssh:

as a point of trivia, the only building in the us which has its own zip code is the empire state building. so if you drop a letter in a box on the street outside of trump tower, or mail something from a box inside of trump tower, it would be the same to the postal service

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Qwazes posted:

I think Hillary's going to win and win handily, but she's ahead by about 5 points, not 30. Polls where she's losing do exist. This is far from locked down.

Edit: The person I was quoting beat me to my own point...

I wish RCP didn't use the LA Times poll in their aggregate because it's so loving bonkers, like showing Trump at 19-20% with African Americans because the one black guy in it likes Trump.

Covok posted:

If anyone wants to aryz, apparently assange is still doing the drop. Just not on a balcony. I guess he was afraid someone was going to shoot him?

That's too reasonable. He's probably afraid the US would sent a Helicopter overhead and have some SEALs drop down and grab him then take off with him to never be seen again.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Night10194 posted:

That was published September 19th. PPP's polling on the debate said it made like 44% of the millennials watching more likely to vote for her. I don't think this is one to worry about too much.

Great thing to point out. A lot REALLY rested on that first debate. Thank god for Trump's incompetence.

Epic High Five posted:

Obama won bigly in 2012 despite white Millennials going for Romney by like +10. They're an important bloc, but not a kingmaker because a huge chunk of them are still in the 18-24 bloc that never loving shows up.

Millenials are split like 50/50 when it comes to white vs non-white.

Epic High Five posted:

Is there data showing that she's down significantly among minority Millennials?
Minority Millennials overwhelmingly didn't vote for Hillary. Except for blacks who voted mostly for Bernie but it wasn't a total blowout. Though the younger they got, the more the gap widen. There is a general distaste for establishment parties in general amongst the youth.

GalacticAcid posted:

"Millennial Voters May Cost Hillary Clinton The Election."

Uh...I guess as opposed to the other generations. For instance, the ones that will vote for Donald Trump. As in every generation besides millennials.

This is VERY true.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

lozzle posted:

Yes I too trust the predictive power of nebulous speculation over scientific polling and statistical models. :rolleyes:

Tell that to those who trusted the Brexit polling!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

Great thing to point out. A lot REALLY rested on that first debate. Thank god for Trump's incompetence.

Millenials are split like 50/50 when it comes to white vs non-white.

Minority Millennials overwhelmingly didn't vote for Hillary. Except for blacks who voted mostly for Bernie but it wasn't a total blowout. Though the younger they got, the more the gap widen. There is a general distaste for establishment parties in general amongst the youth.

I don't care how they voted in the primary, I care how they plan on voting now.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

punk rebel ecks posted:

Good thing she's running against the reanimated corpse of George Wallace and not Bernie then.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

NaanViolence posted:

British polling is significantly less accurate than American.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Night10194 posted:

British polling is significantly less accurate than American.

And also polls are not literally infallible.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Also if the US was as white as the UK is, Trump would be +10 right now

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

lozzle posted:

Good thing she's running against the reanimated corpse of George Wallace and not Bernie then.

You are tainting George Wallace's name.

Also there is still, unfortunately, the third party vote. Luckily minorities aren't too in favor of libertarianism.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

NaanViolence posted:

Brexit polling was a lot closer than current US presidential election, even a month out, and even up to the very day of the referendum, the polls continued to move back and forth.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

boner confessor posted:

you can write whatever you want on an envelope for a return address, and then just mail it from a collection box in that area

an old trick to scam the mail system is to write your address as the sender, and you recipient address as the return address, and then put insufficient postage on the envelope so it is 'returned' to the person you wanted to send it to anyway :ssh:

Note: I do not recommend scamming the mail system, because if you get caught you will get turbofucked.

Postal Inspectors do not gently caress around.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

punk rebel ecks posted:

You are tainting George Wallace's name.

Also there is still, unfortunately, the third party vote. Luckily minorities aren't too in favor of libertarianism.

Dumb white millenials who supported Sanders but are now planning to vote for Gary Johnson are exactly the dumb white millenials who never loving vote anyways.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Pakled posted:

Brexit polling was a lot closer than current US presidential election, even a month out, and even up to the very day of the referendum, the polls continued to move back and forth.

Yeah. The thing about the Brexit vote is that people were writing off the polls and (for some absolutely insane reason) putting more trust in betting markets and the stock market. The actual polls showed a tight race and movement towards Leave.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

lozzle posted:

Dumb white millenials who supported Sanders but are now planning to vote for Gary Johnson are exactly the dumb white millenials who never loving vote anyways.

Thinking of it, it is likely that a lot of the people voting Johnson never cared for Sanders or Hillary, but are either disenfranchised Republicans or straight shoot libertarians or "centrists". Though I recall half of Johnson's voters "lean Democrat", but still...

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lozzle posted:

And when they do, they don't vote Democrat

There seems to be this universal belief that Millennials are, as a whole, very liberal, but it's mostly false. We're just more diverse, so unlike with GenX and the Boomers, our lovely FYGM white people aren't as prominent.

"Unhappy with Trump, so voting Johnson" isn't someone who has ever been factored into the Clinton Calculus for where she stands.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

punk rebel ecks posted:

Thinking of it, it is likely that a lot of the people voting Johnson never cared for Sanders or Hillary, but are either disenfranchised Republicans or straight shoot libertarians or "centrists". Though I recall half of Johnson's voters "lean Democrat", but still...

Pothead Who Is Racist.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

And when they do, they don't vote Democrat

There seems to be this universal belief that Millennials are, as a whole, very liberal, but it's mostly false. We're just more diverse, so unlike with GenX and the Boomers, our lovely FYGM white people aren't as prominent.

"Unhappy with Trump, so voting Johnson" isn't someone who has ever been factored into the Clinton Calculus for where she stands.

I attest to this. The whites are SLIGHTLY less racist than their parents. And they are just as against handouts to blacks and brown people social assistance programs.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Given that race, gender, age, education, income, etc. are all pretty good predictors for how someone is going to vote, you should probably consider if polls are actually providing any new information. Or, if through repeated sampling they are merely zeroing on a mean that could fairly easily be calculated through other methods.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

lozzle posted:

Trump will cut taxes so hard that the IRS will be paying him.

You know, in a nutty way that's what will automatically happen if he becomes POTUS.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Simplex posted:

Given that race, gender, age, education, income, etc. are all pretty good predictors for how someone is going to vote, you should probably consider if polls are actually providing any new information. Or, if through repeated sampling they are merely zeroing on a mean that could fairly easily be calculated through other methods.

Historically polls have been a good way to predict elections.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Simplex posted:

polls are good for measuring the impact of non-demographic effects like, say, a terrible gaffe in a normal election or the insanity of trump in this one

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
How come whenever Hillary is doing well, and in this case doing the best she has during the entire campaign aside from the DNC, the hand wringers suddenly come out the wood work?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Using demographics only really only works if there are two candidates and they're both generic 'perfectly spherical cow' candidates. That's rarely the case. Look at the 2010 Illinois Senate race for a great example of how going on demographics alone can fail you.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How come whenever Hillary is doing well, and in this case doing the best she has during the entire campaign aside from the DNC, the hand wringers suddenly come out the wood work?

A nonzero chance of Donald Trump becoming president. It's like Hans Olo said, you can't get cocky.

(Why are Britpolls worse than American ones?)

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Guess we know that Baron was the one who sent the NYT the tax returns. Either that, or he's not been grounded and barred from family photos but is instead to busy saving the world with Cyber to take a family picture.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Bushiz posted:

Tiffany probably only has a pittance in the will anyway, and lord knows what the actual Trump Family Financials look like. The tell-all would be a guaranteed bestseller and could launch her a career as a pundit.

I'm really betting that Tiffany is Marla Maples' proxy.

Bad Moon posted:

Goddamn, when Hillary and her team were doing their oppo research they must have thought "how the hell are we going to get through all this, it's all kill shot material each as awful and damning as the last"

What an embarrassment of riches. gently caress Trump

Every day of October is going to be an October Surprise for Trump.

Dude avoid getting shock white hair from the stress. Good for him.

Mr Interweb posted:

Another thing that's been bugging me: Trump and his minions keep saying that he released some of financial documents that allegedly show more information that tax returns would. If that's the case, then what would be the worry about releasing his tax returns?

If he released financial docs to the Federal Election Commission and it didn't fully disclose the big loving loss on his tax returns or he actually falsified information to hide that fact, isn't that a federal crime?

Nessus posted:

One guess is Marla Maples. She was also on those forms and if she said "Yes, I release them" I believe the Donald can't do poo poo nor dick about it, at least not in a timeframe of "before the election."

She also had mentioned about loving over Trump if he ever ran for president and expose him for being a fraud. He quickly pounced his legal team on her to shut her up, but it could be her, or, as I said earlier, her daughter Tiffany.

Gyges posted:

Guess we know that Baron was the one who sent the NYT the tax returns. Either that, or he's not been grounded and barred from family photos but is instead to busy saving the world with Cyber to take a family picture.

THE Cyber.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Hmmm interesting point

Have you considered perhaps, as a counter-argument, that you should suck on my rear end in a top hat?

he's not owned... he's not owned

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Trump's implosion has been way too funny.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Civilized Fishbot posted:

polls are good for measuring the impact of non-demographic effects like, say, a terrible gaffe in a normal election or the insanity of trump in this one

Maybe, but that type of thing tends to be like the convention bounce where it tails off over time. I think polls are useful for some things. Like, they are good for finding out the different issues that different demographics groups find important, and why people vote the way they do. Their predictive power is overstated.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

boner confessor posted:

as a point of trivia, the only building in the us which has its own zip code is the empire state building. so if you drop a letter in a box on the street outside of trump tower, or mail something from a box inside of trump tower, it would be the same to the postal service

This is not true. A bunch of buildings have their own ZIP code.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Simplex is correct. The predictive power of polls is overstated.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Trevor Hale posted:

This is not true. A bunch of buildings have their own ZIP code.

One of them is the Focus on the Family campus, if anybody's looking for locations for their next horror movie

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I need new polls. I need to see if nothing still matters and I'd love to see the Khans show up on TV hitting Trump for the Miss Universe thing, and taxes. Plus Trump's other various awfulness.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

NaanViolence posted:

Simplex is correct. The predictive power of polls is overstated.

I can hear steam coming out of Nate Silvers ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

According to Wikipedia:

Which doesn't really help things.

it means if you repeat that test a bunch of times, you'll get different intervals for each test, and a ci of 95% means t will lie within 95% of the intervals generated by all the tests

• Locked thread