Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Trump could salvage the jail Hillary poo poo with a promise to appoint a special prosecutor re:selling the Iraq War

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

thefncrow posted:

Imagine you break down the state line stuff, and right now all 50 states require that insurance companies cover pre-existing conditions.

Montana decides they'd like more insurance companies in the state, so they undo that provision. Any insurer operating out of Montana can now write insurance policies that don't cover pre-existing conditions. Because consumers are allowed to buy insurance across state lines, someone in Texas who buys insurance from a Montana-based insurer now has lost their pre-existing coverage.

Not only that, but from what we've seen from previous race to the bottom scenarios, what you would likely have happen is that the health insurance companies would all migrate to Montana. In this way, you've got 49 states that still require pre-existing condition coverage, but it doesn't matter because all nationwide health insurance plans are based in the one state where they don't have to offer that, and thus no one will have pre-existing condition coverage.

Yes. This is the same thing that happens with credit cards. Ever wonder why they're all based out of South Dakota or Delaware? Because South Dakota and Delaware have a hilariously high cap on interest rates (I believe its 30%), which lets them circumvent usury regulations in other states.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot
When's the last time Trump said he was just being sarcastic?

That might be his best bet if the "Lock her up" speech gets enough backlash.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

:stare:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

She did, repeatedly. In fact, she responded to almost every question about policy by stating what his actually is and then contrasted it to hers.

That isn't what I said. She specifically said he wasn't a normal republican early in the debate and then went on to argue policy with him for an hour like he's a normal republican.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

lozzle posted:

When's the last time Trump said he was just being sarcastic?

That might be his best bet if the "Lock her up" speech gets enough backlash.

They're already trying to spin it that way, but it ain't gonna work.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/AtifRMian/status/785473562849271808
I expect Hillary to bring this up.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

WampaLord posted:

I am Spartacus Ken Bone.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

She did, repeatedly. In fact, she responded to almost every question about policy by stating what his actually is and then contrasted it to hers.

I loved that Hillary briefly mentioned Trump buying up Chinese steel when he brought it up during his reply to Ken Bone.

lozzle posted:

Couerpoint: Chris Wallace works for Fox News and is not named Shepard Smith.

Megan Kelley would do as well, but Shep Smith is the best anchor :foxnews: has and much more likely to call his own coworkers and his employer on their bullshit

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

He better not be counting the Finn who won the memorial prize in economics because one, it's not a Nobel, and two, it's not a science. :colbert:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

mcmagic posted:

That isn't what I said. She specifically said he wasn't a normal republican early in the debate and then went on to argue policy with him for an hour like he's a normal republican.

That isn't what you said until you edited it.

Look, we all know you hate Hillary you don't have to keep beating a dead horse. You clearly think you know more about this than her team of advisers and that's whatever, but like you're posting like some idiot on a sports message board that questions literally every call a coach makes -- which I guess makes a lot of sense.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

:allbuttons:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Antti posted:

He better not be counting the Finn who won the memorial prize in economics because one, it's not a Nobel, and two, it's not a science. :colbert:

Economics is a social science.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/CahnEmily/status/785482047632670720

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

How do Mormons reconcile their support with Trump with their moral beliefs? Are their any articles or editorials about this? His words and behavior are just so opposite from the way devout Mormons try to live their lives, it's insane that Utah is still dark red this election.

Same as any of the other vile things the religious right supports: ignore any dissonance from your supposed beliefs and work to rationalize it as positive because it hurts people you hate.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Antti posted:

It actually is though. It's just also a religion when it comes to certain aspects. (the "invisible hand", the Austrian school in its entirety, etc.)

lozzle fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 10, 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Geostomp posted:

Same as any of the other vile things the religious right supports: ignore any dissonance from your supposed beliefs and work to rationalize it as positive because it hurts people you hate.

Mormons, to their credit though, have been very :chloe: about trump from the get go.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Why is the 538 prediction virtually frozen since the release of the tape? I know that there were some devastating new polls in that time frame.
Is it because the LA time daily tracker is so irritatingly stable? Is Silvers model nothing else than a slight modification of that poll?
Even though I know it's meaningless, I want to see a blue Arizona and that 49.5% is mocking me.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jesus, looking at that graph, I think Sam Wang's onto something about this race being less volatile.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

greatn posted:

Why not have national standards?

We do have national standards as part of Obamacare. They are just purposefully set somewhat low to keep the minimum premiums down and to allow states to customize their insurance exchanges.

The idea was to give the states "flexibility" because changing the minimums or rules fairly often would require acts of congress and could get held up, so it was easier to let state insurance commissioners be in charge. Part of design of Obamacare was to implement it in a way that impacted the 85% of people who already had health insurance as little as possible and to keep it deficit neutral with no income tax increases or reduced benefits.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

freebooter posted:

Yeah it's really fascinating that landslides are no longer common, and also that most people don't realise that's the case. I consider myself pretty politically aware but I think I only saw the Reagan maps during the 2012 election and was shocked by them. Or that if you go back to 1976 the South was all Democratic; I knew it used to be, but I didn't realise it was that recent.

As to how it is now, I guess it's just a marker of how deeply polarised and tribal American politics has become. Possibly we're about to see that change.

The whole concept of Republican = Conservative, Democrat = Liberal is fairly new. The Goldwater campaign was the seed that grew into our modern day disaster. The Nixon campaign tended to the soil that seed was planted in, and I don't know, in the grasping metaphor, the civil rights movement and Vietnam are like fertilizer? Whatever the case may be, before Goldwater, there were liberal and conservative Republicans, same as there were liberal and conservative Democrats, and that was the whole point. This ensured that both parties nominated moderate candidates for the general.

As for the landslides, I mean, it's been a long time, but it terms of the number of contests it hasn't been too many.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Lamb Chowder posted:

and is there any indication that he feels the same way about Russian intervention in Syria or Ukraine?

Assange has been spreading (laughably bad) Russian conspiracy theories on MH-17...

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 10, 2016

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

cant cook creole bream posted:

Why is the 538 prediction virtually frozen since the release of the tape? I know that there were some devastating new polls in that time frame.
Is it because the LA time daily tracker is so irritatingly stable? Is Silvers model nothing else than a slight modification of that poll?
Even though I know it's meaningless, I want to see a blue Arizona and that 49.5% is mocking me.

There hasn't been a lot of polling yet, they use polling as the mover and shaker not news directly.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
shep smith for moderator

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Nobody polls Arizona, even though at this point they probably should.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Night10194 posted:

Jesus, looking at that graph, I think Sam Wang's onto something about this race being less volatile.

It's skewed by the y-axis. If you look at the 2-way graph, it's a bit more jagged, but still no where near 2012 levels: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

It's because there haven't been a ton of polls conducted entirely post-tape yet.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
where are my polls, i need them

i need to get sweet sweet poll numbers into my veins

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

As said already, 538, Upshot, and PEC all use polls. If you want news based predictions, PredictWise is what you want.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/baratunde/status/785482798022987776

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Trump paid for Bill's accusers to attend the debate.

Again, more evidence of Trump's projection.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I am sure it would be more satisfying to the left and her personally, but I can tell you which is a better strategy to maximize your win and it ain't this one.

Agreed, she kept herself above it. One of the dumbest things you can do when someone starts throwing out absurd claims is to start arguing with them about it, because you immediately begin building validation around them. It's no longer just one lone weirdo making claims, it's two people debating it, so it must have some merit!

She said "Everything you just heard was a lie, but to get to the question that was asked...." which wasn't flashy, but was definitely the safer play. Besides, Hillary knows that the real gains are to be made through oppo releases and the ever-present possibility of Trump just self-destructing on his own.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Arizona is blue now.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Charlz Guybon posted:

Arizona is blue now.

Only using Now-cast.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Young Freud posted:

Did Trump or did his foundation?

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

an AOL chatroom posted:

One of the dumbest things you can do when someone starts throwing out absurd claims is to start arguing with them about it, because you immediately begin building validation around them. It's no longer just one lone weirdo making claims, it's two people debating it, so it must have some merit!

There is some merit to this thinking but at the same time John Kerry got sunk by swiftboaters precisely because he felt no need to address it.

Fortunately for Hillary most Americans are already predisposed to think of most of Donald's attacks as preposterous (including, somewhat unfortunately, the idea that Bill Clinton is a rapist).

lozzle fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 10, 2016

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

iospace posted:

Mormons, to their credit though, have been very :chloe: about trump from the get go.

See, I thought they had been a bit anti-Trump six months ago or whenever, but that Mormons had fallen pretty much into lockstep due to something. Republican tribalism? I have been set straight.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Young Freud posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...d/?tid=pm_pop_b

quote:

The campaign’s plan, which was closely held and unknown to several of Trump’s top aides, was thwarted just minutes before it could be executed when officials with the Commission on Presidential Debates intervened. The commission officials warned that, if the Trump campaign tried to seat the accusers in the elevated family box, security officers would remove the women, according to the people involved, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the discussions were confidential.

The gambit to give Bill Clinton’s accusers prime seats was devised by Trump campaign chief executive Stephen K. Bannon and Jared Kushner, the candidate’s son-in-law, and approved personally by Trump. The four women — three of whom have alleged Bill Clinton sexually assaulted or harassed them years ago — were to walk in the debate hall at the same time as the 42nd president and confront him in front of a national television audience.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

His complete inability to actually apologize for anything means he never stops bleeding once he gets a real gash like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

Did Trump or did his foundation?

Breitbart reportedly paid for at Broadrick's.

• Locked thread