Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

I was catching up on the thread sick with a fever when I impulsively bought my first and last big red custom title and instantly regretted it.

I'm almost certainly not who anybody was expecting and I was tempted to just slip away into the night causing further harm to the community by opening more likely posters to recriminations. I'd try to offer an explanation why but I'm afraid that I'll turn it into a defense when nothing about it was defensible. Whatever justification existed only in my mind at the time and was very, very wrong. The text was an attempted reference to a previous thread but "clever" racism is just everyday racism with an extra bit of the idea that I'm better than other people.

Everything about the title caused very real pain to other posters. It referenced a very dark portion of America's history in a way intended to cause as much harm as possible. That was wrong and only furthers the continuation of white supremacy. I can't deny that I intended to cause that pain and specifically because of the words of a black man on race. This harm goes beyond the forums themselves and causes people of color to doubt their ability to speak up both here and elsewhere. It creates fear of retaliation from racists—like me—who don't like what they have to say and drags our country backward when we desperately need to be going the other direction.

Since I spent money to do that, I felt that the least I could do is spend money to try and heal the damage at least somewhere. This is a bit presumptive on my part but I made a donation to the NAACP in honor of gfsincere in hopes that it goes to educate other people like myself. I'll send gfsincere the text of the confirmation email rather than waving it around like some sort of paid indulgence.

In the end all I can say for myself is that I hope that I will be less racist tomorrow than I was today and I apologize to everyone affected for everything that I have done and promise to never do it again.

Sincerely,

1337JiveTurkey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Romney is and was a complete poo poo but man does he looks better in 2016.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
"I believe that Hillary Clinton will set a standard in this country that will lead to more sexual assaults against women because she will be setting an anti-biblical agenda," - Michelle Bachmann
a vote for HRC is a vote for rape, and only biblical believers are against rape!

https://soundcloud.com/rightwingwatch/michele-bachmann-electing-hillary-clinton-will-lead-to-even-more-sexual-assaults-against-women
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/michelle-bachmann-sexual-assaults_us_57fed96de4b05eff55817fff?section=&

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
@Mormon effort post, that was interesting and I thank you for writing it. I'm not very interested in Mormon relationships to the current election, but if we have a Mormon thread I'd be down to read more about the faith in general, its history and current standing, etc.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ImpAtom posted:

Romney is and was a complete poo poo but man does he looks better in 2016.

Romney would've been a piece of poo poo and a terrible president but was not an existential risk to the country. Also while Romney proved he was trash with his reaction to Benghazi, he at least tried to stand up to Trump in 2016 and has a few good things on record like calling the Rebel Flag the American swastika. He was a selfish, out of touch big business rear end in a top hat but not a complete monster.

The election against Romney would've set us back tremendously, but it could be lost without ending us all.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
also just fyi hillary is over 90% on 538's now-cast.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
For what it's worth, I talk about the old racist/misogynistic/homophobic poo poo bag mormons when I rant about idaho politics.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
This was some good stuff.

I do wonder how nonwhite Mormons do with the basically codified racism built into the religion and a lot of the rules that were once had (such as black people couldnt be priests until the late 70s).

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

edrith posted:

worked for ghomeshi

:(

Ghomeshi got off because the main witnesses lied to both prosecutors and the police, hiding pertient facts. They lost all credibility and left the prosecution out to dry, not that Ghomeshi had a sound argument.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

1337JiveTurkey posted:

I was catching up on the thread sick with a fever when I impulsively bought my first and last big red custom title and instantly regretted it.

I'm almost certainly not who anybody was expecting and I was tempted to just slip away into the night causing further harm to the community by opening more likely posters to recriminations. I'd try to offer an explanation why but I'm afraid that I'll turn it into a defense when nothing about it was defensible. Whatever justification existed only in my mind at the time and was very, very wrong. The text was an attempted reference to a previous thread but "clever" racism is just everyday racism with an extra bit of the idea that I'm better than other people.

Everything about the title caused very real pain to other posters. It referenced a very dark portion of America's history in a way intended to cause as much harm as possible. That was wrong and only furthers the continuation of white supremacy. I can't deny that I intended to cause that pain and specifically because of the words of a black man on race. This harm goes beyond the forums themselves and causes people of color to doubt their ability to speak up both here and elsewhere. It creates fear of retaliation from racists—like me—who don't like what they have to say and drags our country backward when we desperately need to be going the other direction.

Since I spent money to do that, I felt that the least I could do is spend money to try and heal the damage at least somewhere. This is a bit presumptive on my part but I made a donation to the NAACP in honor of gfsincere in hopes that it goes to educate other people like myself. I'll send gfsincere the text of the confirmation email rather than waving it around like some sort of paid indulgence.

In the end all I can say for myself is that I hope that I will be less racist tomorrow than I was today and I apologize to everyone affected for everything that I have done and promise to never do it again.

Sincerely,

1337JiveTurkey

Well, this was unexpected.

Apology accepted.

Your actions did inspire me to redtext myself with something funny, so eh, water under the bridge.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

smug n stuff posted:

Okay so here’s an effortpost about Mormonism.

This is great, thank you for posting it. Are there any issues you hear progressive Mormons talking about that are more important or even overlooked by progressives at large?

I can't say I've ever seen anyone do that before. Respect.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
https://twitter.com/ajjaffe/status/786424755758915584

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

:smithicide:

Edit: ^ implies Donald Trump wouldn't consider hunting to be a pleb poor people activity beneath him.

They're going to get pro-bono work.

Also reminder, Donnie said he'll help pay legal bills for his lovely base punching protesters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the rep from my gerrymandered district is the guy who refused to even hear about gun control laws and slashed funds for 9/11 first responders

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

PhazonLink posted:

They're going to get pro-bono work.

Also reminder, Donnie said he'll help pay legal bills for his lovely base punching protesters.

iirc someone tried to take him up on that and got completely cold-shouldered

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Uh, doesn't he basically lose if he loses any of those and isn't he getting completely loving blown out in PA now?

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Sincerely,

1337JiveTurkey

Wow, This is a first. Good on you. Reflection is important.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

smug n stuff posted:

Pretty dope video shared by a 60ish-year-old devout Mormon (this is a pretty pro-click, and doesn’t have anything to do with Mormonism): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9cg6upPESE

The effortpost was really good and a fascinating read but this honestly made my week. And, like, it's been a good week.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

gfsincere posted:

Well, this was unexpected.

Apology accepted.

Your actions did inspire me to redtext myself with something funny, so eh, water under the bridge.

Unless there's anything more that you want me to say about the matter I'm going to take a posting break.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
https://twitter.com/ajjaffe/status/786430070478950400

https://twitter.com/ajjaffe/status/786429059966185472

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

LordSloth posted:

"I believe that Hillary Clinton will set a standard in this country that will lead to more sexual assaults against women because she will be setting an anti-biblical agenda," - Michelle Bachmann

She doesn't even realize it yet, but this has her confused in the same way her antivaxxing does.

There will be more prosecuted and reported assaults against women due to standards Hillary is likely to set... but it's not as if unreported assaults aren't occurring now. That's not really how she views the world though (unless it's girl on girl and in the bathroom. Then her definition expands greatly).

Basically I look forward to expanded title IX protections and especially structure on campuses, reducing the barriers for victims to come forward. Followed by your Baylors and Notre Dames covering up-so that we can hear how assault rates have spiked at public universities, but your lil girl is safe at Liberty U! I give it til 2019 to start.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

he has less chance of winning pa than i do.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

@mormon post- Pretty good summary from my experience as well. I also see a very small subset of older Mormon women who are discovering feminism and leaning now to Hillary while staying conservative down ticket.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Bone is making good on his 15 minutes

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Unless there's anything more that you want me to say about the matter I'm going to take a posting break.

What you said was great, and took more stone/ovaries/ovipositors than most people on this site have, so respect.

You should stick around.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

AMorePerfctGoonion posted:

This election has become totally ridiculous. The first female presidential candidate versus the first male repeat sex offender candidate. Actually, I bet some of those 18th and 19th century presidents did equally as bad things as Trump though 'twas probably considered good sport in those days.
That you think Trump's behavior is that dated is really telling. Read up on JFK in the 60s in the White House.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

He seems to have a good sense of humor about it at least.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Lightning Knight posted:

I asked this the other day re: gerrymandering and off-year losses, but if we had the political power to amend the Constituion, would we be better off if Representstives were elected at the State level and all elections were on the same four-six year cycle?

Actually you don't need an amendment or even laws against gerrymandering. Simply do the thing that Congress was supposed to do every so often but hasn't done since 1929, expand the number of representatives. We started out with one rep for roughly every 33,000 people and are now around one rep for roughly every 600,000 people. Raise the number of Representatives from 435 to at least 1000, but preferably at least 1 more than China's People's Congress, because America, so 2,988. That would take us down to one rep for roughly ever 100,000 people.

It makes it much harder to gerrymander Congress to hell, makes the districts more likely to be closer to groups with some sort of unifying ethos beyond living in roughly the same geographic area, and gives even Wyoming multiple seats in Congress.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Heck, if he makes decent money off the random merch, maybe he can send his kid off to a decent college so he doesn't have to go into the coal industry.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Charlz Guybon posted:

ImpAtom posted:

He seems to have a good sense of humor about it at least.

I was literally about to post this. Yeah, I think he's happy to have his time in the spotlight be a short one.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gyges posted:

Actually you don't need an amendment or even laws against gerrymandering. Simply do the thing that Congress was supposed to do every so often but hasn't done since 1929, expand the number of representatives. We started out with one rep for roughly every 33,000 people and are now around one rep for roughly every 600,000 people. Raise the number of Representatives from 435 to at least 1000, but preferably at least 1 more than China's People's Congress, because America, so 2,988. That would take us down to one rep for roughly ever 100,000 people.

It makes it much harder to gerrymander Congress to hell, makes the districts more likely to be closer to groups with some sort of unifying ethos beyond living in roughly the same geographic area, and gives even Wyoming multiple seats in Congress.
i don't think 2988 members of congress would get much done.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Geoff Peterson posted:

She doesn't even realize it yet, but this has her confused in the same way her antivaxxing does.

There will be more prosecuted and reported assaults against women due to standards Hillary is likely to set... but it's not as if unreported assaults aren't occurring now. That's not really how she views the world though (unless it's girl on girl and in the bathroom. Then her definition expands greatly).

Basically I look forward to expanded title IX protections and especially structure on campuses, reducing the barriers for victims to come forward. Followed by your Baylors and Notre Dames covering up-so that we can hear how assault rates have spiked at public universities, but your lil girl is safe at Liberty U! I give it til 2019 to start.

This is similar to how Sweden has far and away the highest reported rape rate in Europe, which often confuses people who look at the statistics and, more recently, has been used by far-right types as "evidence" that refugees are scum. In reality, Swedish people are just more likely to report rape than other countries, and the actual rate of how often it's committed is probably close to the same as other secular Western states.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

where would you even find 2988 members of congress.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

gfsincere posted:

I do wonder how nonwhite Mormons do with the basically codified racism built into the religion and a lot of the rules that were once had (such as black people couldnt be priests until the late 70s).

I can absolutely not pretend to speak for black mormons, as I only know three or four IRL, depressingly. From my perspective, levels of institutional racism are decreasing in the Church and will continue to decrease, but it's definitely there--Of the ~70 "General Authorities" (worldwide leaders) of the Church, only two are Black, and none are African-American. I sincerely hope this changes. I haven't had conversations about the change in the 70s with the latin@ LDS I know, but ought to--thanks for the prompt.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Are there any issues you hear progressive Mormons talking about that are more important or even overlooked by progressives at large?

Not particularly. The only major difference I can think of is that we tend to have a more optimistic view of the potential for religion to accomplish social good than what I've seen from the progressive movement at large.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I am glad Kenbone is doing well enough to own a fancy dog door and some decorative plates. The american dream is real :unsmith:

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

PhazonLink posted:

There is zero chance this wasn't another lie though.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

Even though, that's probably Guinness , what do you think Clinton's favorite style of beer is?

Probably Irish stouts. I'm in that bar in the picture all the time and it has a great craft beer selection. Then again she may have been pandering to Congressman Tim Ryan, who is Irish. Or the bar itself which is called O'Donald's.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Endorph posted:

i don't think 2988 members of congress would get much done.

It would just turn into blocs and caucuses and make petty legislative dictators out of the heads of those blocs. They'd be the only important people while an individual representative would be meaningless.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

iirc someone tried to take him up on that and got completely cold-shouldered

Figures.

Somewhat related, Donnie didn't pay a family when the dad had his preteen daughters dance for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

It was mentioned earlier by someone else, but would trolling the old/racist segment of Mormons about how stopping trump would actually be fulfilling the white horse prophecy be only funny, or would it also be accurate?

• Locked thread