Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

XyrlocShammypants posted:

He's dragging out moms whose kids were killed by, for example, someone living in the US illegally or by accident in a black gang shootout.

Really.

Oh God is it some kind of play on "he was no angel?" :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I still find it really odd that there hasn't been a story about Vilerat in a national news outlet creating a thread called "Got a crazy forwarded political email from your family? Post them here." to which he has become the subject for many of them in the past 4 years because of it's sheer irony.

Then again, I'm glad there isn't. I just wish that Patricia Smith took the high road like Ambassador Stevens' family and requested the media to stop using him as a political prop :(

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Night10194 posted:

So, what does the debate commission do, exactly? They shot down his dumb 'WE'LL YELL BILL CLINTON IS A RAPIST WHO RAPES' moment last time. Do they just deny these guests or something?

They allowed them as guests, but the stopped them from having them as guests IN the family seating area

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I didn't see this mentioned, but the SS cap was raised about $9,000 starting next year - not sure what that does the solvency of the fund, but it can't hurt.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

seiferguy posted:

I still find it really odd that there hasn't been a story about Vilerat in a national news outlet creating a thread called "Got a crazy forwarded political email from your family? Post them here." to which he has become the subject for many of them in the past 4 years because of it's sheer irony.

Then again, I'm glad there isn't. I just wish that Patricia Smith took the high road like Ambassador Stevens' family and requested the media to stop using him as a political prop :(

there was a small story on dailydot about that just after the RNC but nothing since then.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think Vilerat's wife has made only one major statement about the event, and it was pretty much that the State Department kept her in the loop and she always felt up to date.

It's very different from his mother's statements.

I think there's a few possibilities.
1. One of them is lying. Not likely.
2. Vilerat's mom had much higher demands for information, the kind that can never be satisfied. Possible.
3. Vilerat had filled out a form at some point listing emergency contacts, and put down his wife only, so the State Department was obligated to treat her like any other interested citizen. (I think it's this one)

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

I shook hands with Bill Clinton recently, and before that I dined at the same restaurant as then-president George W Bush, who was a few tables over but I did not say hello.

What was Bill's charisma like in person? It always seems like it would feel like staring into the sun.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

49% of likely voters say Hillary isn't qualified to be President?

And only 22% of Republicans think that Trump "may have acted inappropriately with women."

lol

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh gently caress him. Isn't the violent crime rate by undocumented immigrants lower than that of the general population?

Since when does that stop a dedicated fearmonger like Trump?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

And only 22% of Republicans think that Trump "may have acted inappropriately with women."

lol

The (D) is disqualifying

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

What was Bill's charisma like in person? It always seems like it would feel like staring into the sun.

Bill Clinton once charmed someone into giving him two different flavors of ice cream at an ice cream store that forbid flavor mixing

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Bill Clinton once charmed someone into giving him two different flavors of ice cream at an ice cream store that forbid flavor mixing

Bill once talked the Harlem Globetrotters into letting the other team win

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think Vilerat's wife has made only one major statement about the event, and it was pretty much that the State Department kept her in the loop and she always felt up to date.

2. Vilerat's mom had much higher demands for information, the kind that can never be satisfied. Possible.
3. Vilerat had filled out a form at some point listing emergency contacts, and put down his wife only, so the State Department was obligated to treat her like any other interested citizen. (I think it's this one)

That might be true, but the angle Trump will take is that Clinton lied when State Department officials said the tape caused it and that they didn't help because they didn't want to admit it was RADICAL ISLAMIC TERRORISM!!!!

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Mel Mudkiper posted:

he also charmed the nation into finally accepting the fact that getting a blowie isn't sex

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

lol

Q leans R. It's interesting that they still have him getting skullfucked with those crosstabs.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Yeah, there's something though. Beyond just inordinate amounts of charisma, which most of the modern presidents on both sides have had.

Has anyone here ever met a president?

I worked a catered meal for Ford and Carter. Shook hands with Quayle and Bush Senior through boy scouts as a kid. Quayle did not have charisma or a firm handshake. Ford and Carter were nice to their tablemates and the staff (me and others). Bush Senior seemed like a nice grandfather to my 12-13 year old self.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

He seemed very tired, but he's an extremely charming guy. His charisma is a pretty conspicuous brand though, where he makes you feel like he's just so wowed to be in your presence. He can make a room of people feel like they're all celebrities.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

No this isn't a bill brasky thing

it actually happened

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_State_University_Creamery

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Boon posted:

I didn't see this mentioned, but the SS cap was raised about $9,000 starting next year - not sure what that does the solvency of the fund, but it can't hurt.

That was a pre-planned expansion to follow inflation that happens on a scheduled timeline. It was built into the estimates about the fund.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

The (D) is disqualifying

Turns out that Trump's D is also disqualifying

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

September 12, 1995. Never Forget.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Pick posted:

I shook hands with Bill Clinton recently, and before that I dined at the same restaurant as then-president George W Bush, who was a few tables over but I did not say hello.

My wife and I had our photo taken with Obama in the Oval Office a few months ago. He seemed like a pretty nice dude for the 30 seconds we got to speak with him. FYI my wife is important, not me.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

"Only U.S. President Bill Clinton has been allowed to mix different flavors of Creamery ice cream.[7] The Creamery normally does not allow mixing of flavors (i.e., having scoops of different flavors in one cone / cup). The flavors President Clinton requested were Cherry Quist and Peachy Paterno.[8] However, when Clinton returned after his tenure as the President, Creamery workers would no longer serve him mixed flavors."

First: Very unfortunate flavor name in retrospect.

Second: He should go back and demand they return to serving him once he's First Laddy.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Did the term "Angel Mom" exist before this election cycle? It feels like it was created specifically to counter "Gold Star Mom."

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Mel Mudkiper posted:

it actually happened

I dislike almost everything about Penn State but oh my god The Creamery is insanely delicious

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think the real answer is that everyone grieves differently and not always rationally. Some people start foundations with their kid's name on so they can feel that their life had meaning and they won't be forgotten. Some people seek out someone, anyone, to blame.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Mykkel posted:

Quayle did not have charisma or a firm handshake.

I read this part in hank hill's voice.

I couldn't help it.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mel Mudkiper posted:

it actually happened

Hahaha oh my god.

wikipedia posted:

Only U.S. President Bill Clinton has been allowed to mix different flavors of Creamery ice cream.[7] The Creamery normally does not allow mixing of flavors (i.e., having scoops of different flavors in one cone / cup). The flavors President Clinton requested were Cherry Quist and Peachy Paterno.[8] However, when Clinton returned after his tenure as the President, Creamery workers would no longer serve him mixed flavors.

"Peachy Paterno" :gonk:

Ok well to make up for my needless foray into false braggadocio let us remember that Clinton dismantled FIFA supervillain Sepp Blatter simply as revenge for being a dick about the 2012 Olympics.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Night10194 posted:

"Only U.S. President Bill Clinton has been allowed to mix different flavors of Creamery ice cream.[7] The Creamery normally does not allow mixing of flavors (i.e., having scoops of different flavors in one cone / cup). The flavors President Clinton requested were Cherry Quist and Peachy Paterno.[8] However, when Clinton returned after his tenure as the President, Creamery workers would no longer serve him mixed flavors."

First: Very unfortunate flavor name in retrospect.

Second: He should go back and demand they return to serving him once he's First Laddy.

IMO just goes to show his lack of respect for everyday americans. The rest of us are forced to deal with the drudgery of life with unmixed ice cream while president abuses his power to extort mixed flavors of ice cream from hard working people. Trump 2016

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Pick posted:

He seemed very tired, but he's an extremely charming guy. His charisma is a pretty conspicuous brand though, where he makes you feel like he's just so wowed to be in your presence. He can make a room of people feel like they're all celebrities.

That's a common refrain. Even people who are aware of the effect, or are hostile to it because of their politics, still find him almost preternaturally magnetic.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Didn't Vilerat only have his wife listed as next of kin and not his mother, so she didn't get the full in-the-loop treatment?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

davebo posted:

My wife and I had our photo taken with Obama in the Oval Office a few months ago. He seemed like a pretty nice dude for the 30 seconds we got to speak with him. FYI my wife is important, not me.

My dad knows the head of one of the departments, but seeing Bush was a total coincidence when we were in town :shrug:.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I want a job naming Penn State-themed ice cream.

Rape Culture Raspberry.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Mel Mudkiper posted:

if you told me that bill clinton was the reason mcdonalds started doing all day breakfast i would legitimately believe you

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I really hope they renamed peachy Paterno instead of just discontinuing it because it is delicious.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Haha my dad just heard about all the people Trump wants to take to the debate and he said:

"Its a debate, not some fantasy land episode of "This Is Your Life". What the gently caress is wrong with that man?"

:allears:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

"Peachy Paterno" :gonk:

Don't get me started

Ogmius815 posted:

I really hope they renamed peachy Paterno instead of just discontinuing it because it is delicious.

Still there, same name

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

seiferguy posted:

I don't agree with Patricia Smith, but she's a grieving mother. If I lost one of my kids like that I can't say I wouldn't latch onto *circumstance* as the sole cause of my child's death and crusade against it as some sort of way to try to assuage my grief.

My heart breaks for her and I hope I'm never in that situation. I'm not going to vilify a grieving mother.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Furnaceface posted:

Haha my dad just heard about all the people Trump wants to take to the debate and he said:

"Its a debate, not some fantasy land episode of "This Is Your Life". What the gently caress is wrong with that man?"

:allears:

This will probably end up most of the reaction.

And yeah, the blame for Patricia Smith lies with the GOP and right wing jackasses that have enabled, encouraged, and intensified her grief to use her as a weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

OctaMurk posted:

IMO just goes to show his lack of respect for everyday americans. The rest of us are forced to deal with the drudgery of life with unmixed ice cream while president abuses his power to extort mixed flavors of ice cream from hard working people. Trump 2016

My tax dollars paid for that ice cream :bahgawd:

• Locked thread