Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Epic High Five posted:

Clinton should have her own pill intimidators like the old woman gangs in paisley dressed and bonnets who beat people up with rolling pins in flying circus

I want this so much. Even better, they go door to door, and ask "Have you registered to vote?" and guilt trip you with mom/grandma powers into voting for Rodham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Voted early here in my rural lily white Central MA town for Clinton/Kaine, legal :420:, and No More Charter Schools. Seeing a crusty 60ish white dude rocking an 'Obama tearing off his shirt ala Superman' hoodie pass by me as I was leaving town hall was a heartening if purely anecdotal sight. :unsmith:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The most upsetting part of this is the brief glimpses into a woman about to find herself in a seriously toxic life situation

"The baby will fix him" said the doomed woman

quote:

Mike and Shauna met in 2011, at a bar in Santa Monica. “He was pretty aggressive,” Shauna told me. “He grabbed my arm, pulled me into him, and said, ‘You fit nicely.’ ”

“It sounds creepy, but it looked less creepy in context,” Mike said.

“It worked,” Shauna said. “We were making out, like, five minutes later.”

Mike said that, when they started dating, “I didn’t take it seriously. But she just refused to go away, and now—”

“I’m married and pregnant!” Shauna said, smiling.

“And my life is over,” Mike said, half-smiling.

“We’re having a girl!” Shauna said. “I think it’ll be good for him, soften him up a bit.”

“I’ll be nice to her, as long as she’s not a basic bitch,” Mike said.

:staredog:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

what the gently caress

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that guy is going to beat his daughter

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Its the start of the second act of a Lifetime movie

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Johnson was quoted as saying "I'm feeling very aleppo about all this."

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

hcreight posted:

Clinton/Kaine, legal :420:, and No More Charter Schools.

If you voted for the first thing, I have terrible news about the latter two

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

quote:

Early in Shauna’s relationship with Mike, she read Danger and Play, including such posts as “How to Cheat on Your Girlfriend.” She said, “I would come home from work crying—‘How can you write such rude things?’ He’d go, ‘You don’t understand, babe, this is just how guys talk.’ ” (Advice from the blog: “Always call your girl ‘babe,’ ” to avoid mixing up names.) Shauna, who has stopped working, continued, “I was still upset, though, and he eventually deleted some older posts.”

“I rewrote some of the wording,” Mike insisted. “I never disavow things I’ve said.” Throughout our September conversations, he referred to his more misogynist remarks as “locker-room talk.”

Is this real? It sounds too ridiculous to be real.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

EugeneJ posted:

Go away.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

EugeneJ posted:

Yes please drive by troll, please explain in detail the nuances of how a Clinton vote will negatively impact legal weed and charter schools. Dare you make the effort?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Chait certainly knows how to turn a phrase:

Many a suicidal venture was undertaken with the intent of self-preservation. From the Republican National Committee’s standpoint, Donald Trump was surely not its 1st, 2nd, or even 16th choice for presidential nominee. Once it became inevitable, it had to balance two strategic considerations: whether to support its nominee, which might deepen the damage he inflicts upon the party brand for years to come, or oppose him, threatening an election-year breach that might endanger its candidates up and down the ballot. (The moral argument that supporting him might enable a straight-up authoritarian to win and then bring down the world’s greatest democracy probably did not enter into the equation.)

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/10/the-gop-gave-its-data-to-a-white-nationalist.html

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

OctaMurk posted:

Just remember, when Pick-Up artists talking about picking up women, this is the kind of women they pick up

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

OctaMurk posted:

the details are different, but a woman dating/marrying a guy who's outright terrible to her entire gender isn't exactly uncommon

Electric Sugar
May 24, 2004

over in the burnt yellow tent by the frozen tractor

Epic High Five posted:

Ask for proof of residency within the poll's district, in most states it is illegal to just prowl around from poll to poll. Even if they don't require credentialing and training, you're limited to your own polling place

In my district (in IL) a poll watcher must present to the election judges credentials obtained from the city election commission or the IL state board of Elections (signed by the executive director). You have to get these credentials in advance. You don't need ID to vote, and the poll watcher can question a voter's identity - but as part of that, they request to see the applicant's signature and compare it to the official record signature, they aren't allowed to ask for ID themselves. (Election Judges can ask if required to resolve a challenge.) Election judges can also remove any poll watcher who is disrupting the process. Poll watchers are not allowed to argue with the election judges either.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Reminds me of the fucker in the UK who was a "meninist" and said that tampons should be taxed because women should figure out how to not be incontinent instead of relying on this luxury good.

He had a girlfriend until recently. Who broke up with him as a result of this but he's doubling down for Reasons.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

EugeneJ posted:

:agreed:

Hildabeast Clinton will overturn the Massachusetts ballot questions as part of her vagenda of manocide.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

EugeneJ posted:

OctaMurk posted:

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
My texan parents voted clinton happily. That's such a wild thought to me. Im a 7th generation and as far as i know everyone in my family voted d.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
If a girl tried to fix me by having a baby then I'd have two words for her, "what's a baby?"

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

EugeneJ posted:

Hillary Clinton on AT&T buying Time Warner:

"“I will expect the government to conduct a very thorough analysis before making a decision.”

http://qz.com/529303/hillary-clinton-being-pro-business-doesnt-mean-hanging-consumers-out-to-dry/

quote:

First, I will take steps to stop corporate concentration in any industry where it’s unfairly limiting competition. For example, right now, it’s perfectly legal for a pharmaceutical company to pay a competitor to keep a generic drug off the market. These so-called “pay for delay” agreements keep prescription drug costs artificially high and diminish patient choice. I will empower the Department of Justice to vigorously investigate proposed health insurance mergers and take action to rein in prescription drug and out-of-pocket costs.

Closing these loopholes and protecting other standards of free and fair competition—like enforcing strong net neutrality rules and preempting state laws that unfairly protect incumbent businesses—will keep more money in consumers’ wallets, enable startups to challenge the status quo, and allow small businesses to thrive.

Second, I will prevent concentration in the first place by beefing up the antitrust enforcement arms of the Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission. I will direct more resources to hire aggressive regulators who will conduct in-depth industry research to better understand the link between market consolidation and stagnating incomes. Ultimately, this will foster a change in corporate culture that restores competition to the marketplace.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm really not sure why Johnson is even running. Every time I see him in an interview he acts like he doesn't have to answer questions or treats the questions like a 5 year old would.

As someone said earlier.

The irony of this situation is that McMullin in 3 months has done more for himself then the Libs/Greens have done in the past 50 years. He's not going to win the election obviously, but he might win a single state.

Neither party wants to win anything. They just want to play politics, pretending to be more important then they actually are for the sake of it.

There are hundreds of elections across the country between two lovely people. Dozens with one sided fights against Dems or Reps that have literally nothing going for them, that are just running for the sake of it. In not a single one of these downticket races do you see Libs or Greens. If they actually gave any sort of poo poo about the process, they'd be pushing for these spots across the board, to normalize their party/get further pull in the political landscape. And these are the gains that translate well into pushing a Presidential candidate higher then 5% in actual elections, and give you the legitimacy you'd need to appear at debates/have a Primary.

Johnson and Stein don't want to win. They want to be respected, and loving good luck with that.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I don't think Johnson wants respect. I think he's just got a problem earning an honest living and wants to coast for another couple weeks before signing up for unemployment.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
There actually are fairly low level elections that have Greens and/or Libertarians involved, including a few (at least in Texas) where one of the major parties doesn't show up at all.

The thing though is that if a party really wants to make a difference they'll start in a single state, build a machine there, and then expand outwards.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm really not sure why Johnson is even running. Every time I see him in an interview he acts like he doesn't have to answer questions or treats the questions like a 5 year old would.
Hey, it works for Donald Trump.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

I don't think Johnson wants respect. I think he's just got a problem earning an honest living and wants to coast for another couple weeks before signing up for unemployment. going back to running his marijuana grow op.

Fixed, as this is what he was doing before he decided to run again.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

October 20, 2015

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

hcreight posted:

Voted early here in my rural lily white Central MA town for Clinton/Kaine, legal :420:, and No More Charter Schools. Seeing a crusty 60ish white dude rocking an 'Obama tearing off his shirt ala Superman' hoodie pass by me as I was leaving town hall was a heartening if purely anecdotal sight. :unsmith:

Same, but in more diverse Eastern Mass.

Edit: also, re: third party talk: lots of unopposed Democrats on my ballot. If the Greens want to have a positive impact, places like this is where they should start, IMHO.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 27, 2016

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

EugeneJ posted:

October 20, 2015

How does a Clinton vote detract from a vote from legal weed and banning charter schools

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/10/richard-spencer-trump-alt-right-white-nationalist

mojo piece on Richard Spencer, a guy positioned to be one of the faces of white nationalism in the aftermath of Trump

quote:

"Race is something between a breed and an actual species," he says, likening the differences between whites and people of color to those between golden retrievers and basset hounds. "It's that powerful."

:sigh:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Gonna be real awkward for cable news to play along with that guy if there isn't a video tape of him disparaging white women.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

CascadeBeta posted:

How does a Clinton vote detract from a vote from legal weed and banning charter schools

A bit of nitpicking: the ballot issue in MA isn't about banning charter schools, but rather than on whether to expand the number or not.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

emdash posted:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/10/richard-spencer-trump-alt-right-white-nationalist

mojo piece on Richard Spencer, a guy positioned to be one of the faces of white nationalism in the aftermath of Trump

Did this motherfucker just dis the noble basset hound

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CascadeBeta posted:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/clinton-charter-school-teachers-union-boos-225117

quote:

Hillary Clinton on Tuesday said traditional public schools and charter schools should share ideas — a remark met with boos by delegates from the National Education Association’s representative assembly.

To the thousands of teachers gathered at the labor union’s annual conference, Clinton said “when schools get it right, whether they are traditional public schools or public charter schools, let’s figure out what’s working ... and share it with schools across America.”

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

OddObserver posted:

A bit of nitpicking: the ballot issue in MA isn't about banning charter schools, but rather than on whether to expand the number or not.

My bad, I wasn't familiar. Either way he won't defend his point so eeeeeeeeh :shrug:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

emdash posted:

So the point is that people who are overly concerned about racial purity will end up as inbred freaks plagued by health problems, right?

valnas
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I kind of wonder how Trump would be like after a heroic dose of LSD. I wonder if sending his ego to some deep dark recess would reconnect empathy and he'd instantly have a stroke.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Is it voter intimidation to wear a shirt that says "Attention Trumpublicans, please kill yourselves" to the polls?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

CascadeBeta posted:

Hey, man, didn't you get the memo about how Hillz was a Manchurian Candidate crypto-fascist who will only implement pro-business, pro-Wall Street, and pro-Christian policies now that she vanquished her rival Bernie Sanders? And how Donald Trump is the real hope of liberalism in America?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

The literal next paragraph after you quoted is her saying that pushing for-profit schools isn't acceptable, as well as criticizing charter schools for not taking hard to teach students later on in the same article. Try again.

• Locked thread