Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Hey, you said you were asking an "honest question", rear end in a top hat. If so, honestly reply to some of this:

quote:

Donald Trump vowed Friday that if Iran inappropriately approached US ships, they would be "shot out of the water."

"And by the way, with Iran, when they circle our beautiful destroyers with their little boats and they make gestures that our people -- that they shouldn't be allowed to make, they will be shot out of the water," he said at a rally here.

quote:

MATTHEWS: Where would we drop — where would we drop a nuclear weapon in the Middle East?
TRUMP: Let me explain. Let me explain.
Somebody hits us within ISIS — you wouldn`t fight back with a nuke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Women tend to be more authoritarian than men.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

http://m.psp.sagepub.com/content/38/10/1301.abstract

quote:

the authors used multilevel modeling to analyze data from 54 societies to find that women endorsed authoritarian values more than men, especially in individualistic societies with high levels of gender inequality

Biotruths indeed

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Because more women have had more lovely stoner partners than men have.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Duck Rodgers posted:

Progress isn't a function of time. Progress is made when people go out and push for it. Activists and social movements are the source of change.

Oh, and that change happens right away and really fast?

Time is also a factor.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Women are less cool than men.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

greatn posted:

Because more women have had more lovely stoner partners than men have.

Getting stoned with your SO is the bees knees 🐝

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Except that is only a function of women's disadvantaged place in society:

quote:

But for individualistic countries, gender inequality seems to matter for determining the greater endorsement of authoritarianism by women compared to men. These results contribute to a growing social psychological literature attempting to understand why people hold onto authoritarian values and beliefs and suggest that authoritarianism may arise in part because of the basic human desire for social connection. Moreover, the results of this study join a growing literature on the effects of inequality, social status, and stigma on a variety of consequential attitudes and behaviors. To truly understand a person, we must also understand their place in their society.

So it isn't s "biotruth" it is another impact of our sexist culture.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So if women are authoritarian by nature, isn't electing more women to office just going to see stricter enforcement of current laws instead of passing new laws?

Isn't that exactly what Hillary's platform is?

How is that conducive to progress?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

EugeneJ posted:

So if women are authoritarian by nature, isn't electing more women to office just going to see stricter enforcement of current laws instead of passing new laws?

Wow, what a sexist and regressive view! What a loving surprise.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

It's more a relation to the relative gender inequality gap in the societies that they live in than just because they're women, but try again I guess.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

EugeneJ posted:

Literally "we shouldn't elect women to office because they might actually govern." L m a o

Also we should totally pressure the government to legalize all drugs because prohibition is stupid and the prison-industrial complex blows. That said, I'd be amazed if weed is still illegal in ten years.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

Except that is only a function of women's disadvantaged place in society:

So it isn't s "biotruth" it is another impact of our sexist culture.

Yea no poo poo Mr. Phd, the end result being that women tend to be more authoritarian than men, especially in societies (such as ours) that are sexist. Thank you for agreeing with me.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

OctaMurk posted:

Is this real? It sounds too ridiculous to be real.

Mike sounds like a complete scumbag. gently caress that piece of poo poo.

Hopefully he gets arrested for something or another so he loses custody and stays away from his wife and daughter before he gets a chance to abuse them rather than after. :mad:

I have absolutely zero tolerance for familial abuse or manipulation given my personal background and would probably end up pissed and try to kick his rear end if I had the displeasure of ever running across that guy in real life.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 27, 2016

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

As a counter point to the weed talk:

I'd love it if she could everything she wants to do on immigration reform. However, I'm not going to hold my breath when the immigrant population is politically in the box of "Vote Dem or Vote Re(WTF is wrong with you Vote Dem)".

Point is that the legalize now crowd has even less political clout when the ball already is slowing moving that way. Take what you can get now and quit bitching about it.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

SomeMathGuy posted:

Maybe we'll get lucky and someone will do a run-in with a steel chair.
Background music has now switched to an inspiring Trump Train song in anticipation of his arrival. It's certainly something:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svM7m0ToSzE
We’re gonna make America great again
We’re gonna make America free again
The people have the power to vote that way
All you people screamin’ U.S.A.

Gonna fill this country with work again
Gonna get those jobs back, for good again
Gotta make those deals, in a better way
And keep prosperity here to stay

Now the train’s a rollin’
All of that self-loathing’s gonna fail
You better climb on board
Cause that engine’s gonna roar on down the rail

Gonna make this land of ours one again
Gonna make this nation happy again
The people have the power, so let’s act that way
The UN will crumble, and blow away

A peaceful revolution’s gonna be
The best solution for us all
Wall street and their banksters
Who all rigged this crooked system gonna fall

People have the power, we better act that way
Protect the borders of the U.S.A.

Now that we’re awakened to the truth
That big ol’ lie is getting’ stale
Globalists are shakin’ in their boots
They know there NOT too big to Jail …….

And that Train Keeps on Rollin… It just keeps on rolling down the rail

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm pro nationwide marijuana legalization, but there's a lot I don't know about how it would work in practice

What happens to people who are already incarcerated for possession and distribution? I mean personally I'd like to see them automatically released, but I'm sure the world isn't that good.

How do we handle situations where intoxication is dangerous, like driving or caring for children? We can't test for it as easily as alcohol, and people can't really track their intake as specifically either.

What do we do about increased youth consumption? I by no means think drug consumption is immoral, but the APA says frequent marijuana use may have a negative effect on brain development.

Marijuana smoke has some cigarette-like risks for lung cancer too, so I would hate to see it fall into a gap regarding smoking bans the way vaping does. Although vaping works wonders as a contraceptive.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

A Winner is Jew posted:

It's more a relation to the relative gender inequality gap in the societies that they live in than just because they're women, but try again I guess.

The end result being that women are more authoritarian than men. Yes. Maybe this is why they have less favorable view of drug legalization. Maybe it's not. Who knows?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Yea no poo poo Mr. Phd, the end result being that women tend to be more authoritarian than men, especially in societies (such as ours) that are sexist. Thank you for agreeing with me.

It shows that the more sexist a society is the more authoritarian women tend to be in those societies.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Men are ~2 times more likely to smoke marijuana than women. There are also a number of gender-related differences in problems related to use. I imagine men see it as an issue of liberty (particularly since they go to jail more for it) and some number of women see it as a nuisance in their lives.

We see the same gender gap in alcohol related law support because women suffer different issues to alcohol related problems, but as they drink more, the gap closes.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

A Winner is Jew posted:

It shows that the more sexist a society is the more authoritarian women tend to be in those societies.

Yes, thank you. Women endorse authoritarian values more than men.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

Literally "we shouldn't elect women to office because they might actually govern." L m a o

Also we should totally pressure the government to legalize all drugs because prohibition is stupid and the prison-industrial complex blows. That said, I'd be amazed if weed is still illegal in ten years.

No it is actually a lot more of a lovely gross argument. What is happening is there is a disadvantaged group that because of their disadvantage, are more statistically likely to have some trait Eugene thinks is bad.

Therefore all members of that disadvantaged group must have that trait and so we should discriminate against that group. It is base-level bigotry. It is the same dehumanizing logic used by other deplorables.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Apraxin posted:

Background music has now switched to an inspiring Trump Train song in anticipation of his arrival. It's certainly something:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svM7m0ToSzE
The people have the power to vote that way
All you people screamin’ U.S.A.

Gonna fill this country with work again
Gonna get those jobs back, for good again
Gotta make those deals, in a better way
And keep prosperity here to stay

Now the train’s a rollin’
All of that self-loathing’s gonna fail
You better climb on board
Cause that engine’s gonna roar on down the rail

Gonna make this land of ours one again
Gonna make this nation happy again
The people have the power, so let’s act that way
The UN will crumble, and blow away

A peaceful revolution’s gonna be
The best solution for us all
Wall street and their banksters
Who all rigged this crooked system gonna fall

People have the power, we better act that way
Protect the borders of the U.S.A.

Now that we’re awakened to the truth
That big ol’ lie is getting’ stale
Globalists are shakin’ in their boots
They know there NOT too big to Jail …….

And that Train Keeps on Rollin… It just keeps on rolling down the rail

They just has to slip in a line at the end about the (((globalists))). Just couldn't resist.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Trabisnikof posted:

No it is actually a lot more of a lovely gross argument. What is happening is there is a disadvantaged group that because of their disadvantage, are more statistically likely to have some trait Eugene thinks is bad.

Therefore all members of that disadvantaged group must have that trait and so we should discriminate against that group. It is base-level bigotry. It is the same dehumanizing logic used by other deplorables.

We have to keep all those Super Predators in jail for weed crimes, right

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

As a result of a sexist culture.

Which means that sexism is the cause, not because they are inherently more authoritarian like you keep implying.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

. Although vaping works wonders as a contraceptive.

Wait a second, what?

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Wait a second, what?

Nobody wants to gently caress a weird vaper

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Trabisnikof posted:

Wow, what a sexist and regressive view! What a loving surprise.

well he is a libertarian after all

EugeneJ posted:

Actually it's important to get Johnson over 5% of the vote because then the Libertarian Party would qualify for public funding in 2020

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2016/10/10/why_gary_johnson_can_still_make_libertarian_history_132015.html

EugeneJ posted:

The point isn't to get him elected, the point is to get the party more money so they can put somebody better up there in 4 years and hopefully reach a national debate stage. We know he's terrible.

Baby steps.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Wait a second, what?

In the same way that fedoras, cargo shorts, and neckbeards function as contraceptives.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

"Women in our culture are more likely to endorse authoritarian the more we are sexistist against them" is not because of "biotruths" but because of our lovely culture. Women don't intrinsically like authoritarianism more than men.

That's a huge distinction you're missing.

EugeneJ posted:

We have to keep all those Super Predators in jail for weed crimes, right

You realize you're using the exact same lovely bigoted logic you're decrying here right?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

A Winner is Jew posted:

As a result of a sexist culture.

Which means that sexism is the cause, not because they are inherently more authoritarian like you keep implying.

I'm not implying anything. Nice try though 👍🏻

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Pakled posted:

In the same way that fedoras, cargo shorts, and neckbeards function as contraceptives.

:lol: gotcha

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Pakled posted:

doesn't chronic marijuana use also diminish libido

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

You're right it wasn't implied. It was explicit:

You are still wrong. It is not a "biotruth."

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I'm pro nationwide marijuana legalization, but there's a lot I don't know about how it would work in practice

What happens to people who are already incarcerated for possession and distribution? I mean personally I'd like to see them automatically released, but I'm sure the world isn't that good.

How do we handle situations where intoxication is dangerous, like driving or caring for children? We can't test for it as easily as alcohol, and people can't really track their intake as specifically either.

What do we do about increased youth consumption? I by no means think drug consumption is immoral, but the APA says frequent marijuana use may have a negative effect on brain development.

Marijuana smoke has some cigarette-like risks for lung cancer too, so I would hate to see it fall into a gap regarding smoking bans the way vaping does. Although vaping works wonders as a contraceptive.
  • hahahah they will serve out their insanely long sentences and then have a felony on their record. Ex Post Facto only goes one way, and they're poor and black so that's how that's gonna go
  • We already have field sobriety tests and DUI. Also, no one has ever gotten in a car accident on weed because you can't cause a wreck when you're going 8mph
  • Youths already abuse tobacco and alcohol, which both have much more dangerous long-term effects. How have we controlled those drugs?
  • The amount of marijuana smoked in a typical stoner's day is insignificant next to how many cigarettes smokers, er, smoke.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

EugeneJ posted:

I don't know how your brain stem manages to keep you breathing.

What part of being authoritarian would cause less new laws? If anything, it would cause more.

More laws are generally conductive to progress unless they actively curtail it. See Voter's Rights Act, EPA Clean Water/Air Acts, Endangered Species Act, ACA, etc all were new regulations that created progress by enforcing it. Just hoping for progress isn't enough, which is why capitalism sucks.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

"Women in our culture are more likely to endorse authoritarian the more we are sexistist against them" is not because of "biotruths" but because of our lovely culture. Women don't intrinsically like authoritarianism more than men.

That's a huge distinction you're missing.

You realize you're using the exact same lovely bigoted logic you're decrying here right?

I'm not missing it. Obviously women arent more prone to endorsing authoritarian views because of their two X chromosomes.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

You're really bad at this.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Trabisnikof posted:

I was being silly. :v:

So I'm not gonna claim to be an expert but I'd imagine that broadly speaking these are some ideas we're working with:

Potential release of drug-related offenders would be a nightmare. If I recall correctly, precedent dictates that you stay in jail if what you did wasn't legal then even if it is now. Which obviously blows. If we could get them out it would turn into a shitshow of trying to vet criminals to see who only committed non-violent offenses and attempting to expunge their records. A lot of poor people and minorities would still be hosed over and it would be a long, slow fight uphill.

I dunno how we deal with inaccuracies re: drug testing after driving, but right now part of the problem is that weed culture is lovely because of its illegal nature. If it was legal and socially acceptable weed users could develop a more responsible drug culture. It would probably be difficult in the same way drinking is, however.

Youth consumption is absolutely going to come down to education. Just like with sex ed, telling them just to not do it doesn't work. We have to make it clear what it is and what they're getting into and hope that they self-moderate and learn. Part of why underage drinking is such a problem imo is that we put off learning to drink responsibly until our dumbass kids are in college instead of making them learn at 16-18 when they're safe at home.

I personally feel that second-hand smoke laws should apply equally to all smoked substances in public. Maybe that's just me. You have the right to put things in your body but not in mine by proximity. Do that poo poo at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

EugeneJ posted:

Why the gender gap on weed?

Think about the children?

• Locked thread