Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
How in the gently caress did they get off? Like, how can an armed group storm a government compound and hold it for over a month and not be convicted of something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If it's any consolation people will be struggling to remember who Pence is again in three weeks.

In the head museum closet-access crawl space with Palin and Ryan?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pakled posted:

How in the gently caress did they get off? Like, how can an armed group storm a government compound and hold it for over a month and not be convicted of something?

Well, you see, they're white.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Apologies for the super long post, but I spent a bit of time this afternoon looking into this whole case and what happened and here's where I've kind of ended up. My job involves a whole lot of jury work but that said, we won't know exactly what happened unless they do juror interviews.

This is in no way an actual defense of these shitheads, but juries often get a really bad rap for doing their best to struggle through complex, byzantine, and sometimes contradictory charges and laws. In most trials, jurors are not even told what the actual jury instructions are until the very end of the trial, in a giant hour-long boring rear end reading by the judge. Prior to that they often have absolutely no idea what exactly they're supposed to be listening for and what evidence is important or useless. A lot of the stuff we know of from the media may not have come into the trial, because it was either flat out wrong or not allowed for a number of legal reasons.

Even though the outcome sucks I guess my personal hope is that we at least not poo poo all over the jurors themselves unless something comes out that they flagrantly ignored their duty. I've worked on some pretty controversial trials and seeing the way some jurors were treated in the aftermath was heartbreaking, when they did their absolute best and ended up having to make a decision they knew would be publicly unpopular.

The following is pure speculation and based on cursory research from available materials, so if I'm missing some major charge or someone who has been following the case closely sees something wrong please correct me.

...it was a slow afternoon at work.

The property theft offense was a deadlock apparently so disregarding that, the two major charges they got acquitted of were:

1. Conspiracy to Impede or Injure an Officer
2. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities

Both of these sound pretty straightforward from their title, but like everything legal, they're not! Surprise! Let's take a look at #1.

Here's the text of #1:

quote:

If two or more persons in any State, Territory, Possession, or District conspire to prevent, by force, intimidation, or threat, any person from accepting or holding any office, trust, or place of confidence under the United States, or from discharging any duties thereof, or to induce by like means any officer of the United States to leave the place, where his duties as an officer are required to be performed, or to injure him in his person or property on account of his lawful discharge of the duties of his office, or while engaged in the lawful discharge thereof, or to injure his property so as to molest, interrupt, hinder, or impede him in the discharge of his official duties, each of such persons shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six years, or both.

Complicating matters, this is a general jury instruction on conspiracy:

quote:

First, beginning on or about [date], and ending on or about [date], there was an agreement between two or more persons to commit at least one crime as charged in the indictment; [and]

Second, the defendant became a member of the conspiracy knowing of at least one of its objects and intending to help accomplish it[.] [; and]

[Third, one of the members of the conspiracy performed at least one overt act [on or after [date]]for the purpose of carrying out the conspiracy.]

A conspiracy is a kind of criminal partnership—an agreement of two or more persons to commit one or more crimes. The crime of conspiracy is the agreement to do something unlawful; it does not matter whether the crime agreed upon was committed.

For a conspiracy to have existed, it is not necessary that the conspirators made a formal agreement or that they agreed on every detail of the conspiracy. It is not enough, however, that they simply met, discussed matters of common interest, acted in similar ways, or perhaps helped one another. You must find that there was a plan to commit at least one of the crimes alleged in the indictment as an object of the conspiracy with all of you agreeing as to the particular crime which the conspirators agreed to commit.

One becomes a member of a conspiracy by willfully participating in the unlawful plan with the intent to advance or further some object or purpose of the conspiracy, even though the person does not have full knowledge of all the details of the conspiracy. Furthermore, one who willfully joins an existing conspiracy is as responsible for it as the originators. On the other hand, one who has no knowledge of a conspiracy, but happens to act in a way which furthers some object or purpose of the conspiracy, does not thereby become a conspirator. Similarly, a person does not become a conspirator merely by associating with one or more persons who are conspirators, nor merely by knowing that a conspiracy exists.

So, conspiracy in general, whether it's drug or whatever, is actually really difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt. I've actually worked on a few conspiracy cases from both prosecution and defense side, and a really common sticking point for jurors in conspiracy cases is that it's very rare that there's solid evidence of two people openly agreeing to commit the crime charged. Refer back to the definition of conspiracy, an agreement between two or more persons to commit at least one crime as charged in the indictment and it might be easy to see how this can be difficult to prove, absent a video or audio recording of both parties saying YES, LET US COMMIT A CRIME TOGETHER, which almost never exists.

Compounding the problem in this case is the charge itself, a conspiracy to Impede or Injure an Officer. What I suspect happened, and whether you agree with this interpretation of the law or not is irrelevant, is that the jurors got hung up on the fact that there was little to no evidence presented that Y'all Quaeda had a specific plan and intent to HARM LAW ENFORCEMENT.
This charge wasn't about conspiracy to unlawfully occupy, or anything related to federal lands -- the prosecution had to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that these guys had a criminal plan to injure law enforcement from the get-go, and that evidence probably just wasn't there.

Quite honestly, I could see myself voting not guilty on the conspiracy charge, because jesus that's difficult to prove and there's no evidence that I'm aware of that these guys actually wanted to kill anyone.

In terms of #2, the law is much longer so I'm only going to post snippets of it, but again while seemingly straightforward, there's actually a number of exceptions, many of which have never been legally tested before. This one is a lot murkier than #1, but here's how I suspect they came to that decision. Again, this is pure speculation on my part:

The basic portion, which seems clear as day, is:

quote:

(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.

However, let's go to the definitions again:

quote:

(g) As used in this section:
(1) The term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.

Here's where I imagine the sticking point was, although I think it's a misreading of the law -- because the building was closed for a holiday weekend and no Federal employees were present, I imagine some of the jurors made some common sense arguments about the scope and purpose of the law.

If any employee had actually been in the building when they took it over it would be a slam dunk, but there were likely questions about the illegality of the act if it was empty, especially if some of the jurors were gun owners. If no one was threatened, if there was no chance of harm by carrying weapons into this facility, if no Federal employees were present at all for the duration of the occupation, I can certainly see some jurors arguing (again, in my view, probably incorrectly) that this wasn't a violation of the law as written because of that exception.

Additionally, there's a weird exception that's never really been clearly tested or defined, which is:

quote:

(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to— (3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

Bluntly, no one is really sure what exactly this means. If it's hunting season, can you carry a firearm into a facility? If you went hunting in the morning and still had your weapon with you, is that ok? If you're hunting while occupying with the weapons you brought, is that now incident to hunting?

This certainly isn't a defense of what happened, but an example of how things can get murky.

Anyway, this is way longer than I meant it to be, but these are the takeaways.

1. The Bundys are pieces of poo poo
2. It's too bad they didn't get convicted
3. The law is really confusing and really complicated
4. Jurors don't have the same information about everything that happened as we do, and that's intentional and by design
5. Automatically blaming jurors and publicly savaging them for returning a verdict you didn't like is really bad for the justice system, really bad for America, and a really awful experience for a group of people who were probably doing the best job they could with the information they had.

Ok thanks.

Aerox fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 28, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Samurai Sanders posted:

So was Pence's plane rigged by the liberal media or what?

Rigged bigly by the biggest and the best in the business! :sniff:

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Geostomp posted:

Yup. This is a disgustingly obvious example of a jury ignoring evidence and any law just to suit their own biases. A black child getting executed for standing around is fully justified because he was no angel, but white terrorists taking over a town are just angry good old boys.

It seems Tarp-man is the only one facing consequences for his actions.

I don't think the jurors were biased and I don't think they were stupid.

I think it much more likely that they were terrified of Bundy's buddies coming to visit them in the middle of the night if they dared vote to convict. They have to live in that area. Militia people have been standing outside the courthouse all day, every day, staring at them while gently caressing their open carry guns.

I'd be scared too.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

overdesigned posted:

It looks bad but it's not. Those are EMAS (Engineered Materials Arrestor System) panels. They're a highly aerated concrete composite that's designed to crush like that to absorb the plane's energy and slow it down quickly and safely. LaGuardia has them because they don't have space for a traditional 1000' overrun at the end of the runway.

They're also SUPER expensive so I wonder if the campaign is getting the bill for it.

EMAS is so cool and yeah they're hellishly expensive since they can even be worn down by the jet wash of nearby engines and hafta be protected and occasionally replaced and only like two companies make them

here's what it looks like in use during the daytime at SFO which has similar runway conditions

e: whoops that's in WV here's SFO all new

it's basically only strong enough to walk on

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 28, 2016

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

overdesigned posted:

It looks bad but it's not. Those are EMAS (Engineered Materials Arrestor System) panels. They're a highly aerated concrete composite that's designed to crush like that to absorb the plane's energy and slow it down quickly and safely. LaGuardia has them because they don't have space for a traditional 1000' overrun at the end of the runway.

They're also SUPER expensive so I wonder if the campaign is getting the bill for it.

There are so many great things out there that I've never even considered.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Rigged bigly by the biggest and the best in the business! :sniff:

It must have been Trump. An attempt from Hillary wouldn't have failed

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Aerox posted:

5. Automatically blaming jurors and publicly savaging them for returning a verdict you didn't like is really bad for the justice system, really bad for America, and a really awful experience for a group of people who were probably doing the best job they could with the information they had.

Ok thanks.
can i automatically blame and publicly savage jurors for getting the guy who was in BLM 20 years ago kicked out like an hour before the verdict was needed

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

overdesigned posted:

LaGuardia has them because they don't have space for a traditional 1000' overrun at the end of the runway.

yeah laguardia's one of the more fun places to take off and land from because it's like oh hey there's the east river

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

torgeaux posted:

Mark Kirk: I'd forgotten your parents came all the way from Thailand to serve George Washington."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUEwhcXNWM0&feature=youtu.be

Jesus christ. All Kirk had to do was run on the fact that he's probably the most bipartisan Republican in the Senate and he'd have a fairly decent chance. But no, he keeps shooting himself in the foot with personal attacks on Duckworth. Has he just given up on politics and is trying to lose or does he think swinging hard right is going to help him here in IL of all places?

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Pakled posted:

Conspiracy charges are really tough to pin down.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Aerox posted:

Here's where I imagine the sticking point was, although I think it's a misreading of the law -- because the building was closed for a holiday weekend and no Federal employees were present, I imagine some of the jurors made some common sense arguments about the scope and purpose of the law.

Also the Sheriff testified that he didn't consider the occupier's threats to be credible, and the FWS employees testified that their bosses told them to work from home and not attempt to visit the refuge buildings.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
On second though. No. Bad posts, too angry.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fivethirtyeight has dropped 4 points today :ohdear:

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Goatman Sacks posted:

Y'all Qaeda strikes again

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Aerox posted:

<effort post snipped, please read it though!>

Thanks for the info. I can see where the confusion came from given it was unoccupied.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

EMAS is so cool and yeah they're hellishly expensive since they can even be worn down by the jet wash of nearby engines and hafta be protected and occasionally replaced and only like two companies make them

here's what it looks like in use during the daytime at SFO which has similar runway conditions

e: whoops that's in WV here's SFO all new

it's basically only strong enough to walk on

Ok, that poo poo is pretty cool.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Drunk Theory posted:

I can see where you are coming from and agree. That said, I'm still very angry. So...oh dear, we might damage the integrity of America's worthless justice system. Oh dear.

The justice system hasn't really been doing anything for the people who need it the most so im actually kinda fine with damaging its integrity.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Goatman Sacks posted:

some C rank polls had trump ahead by 2-3 points in Ohio and FLorida.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Thank you Aerox. Intelligent effort posts are what make dnd worth reading.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Aerox posted:

"You don't like how six shitheads voted out of spite to let people on Their Team off scot-free? Well you should never call them out, that's just bad for the justice system. :colbert:"

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Don't worry, the next Vanilla ISIS attack is gonna kill someone and then someone will probably go to jail for a couple months.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Pakled posted:

I wonder if they're even going to get daddy Bundy's back taxes at this point. They have him, and away from his compound, at the loving least can't they get that?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

"You don't like how six shitheads voted out of spite to let people on Their Team off scot-free? Well you should never call them out, that's just bad for the justice system. :colbert:"

While on the other hand, occupiers of a different race would've gotten strafed by an A-10 and no one would've questioned it much. TERRORISM.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Aerox posted:

Ok thanks.

I'd be with you here except they railroaded a fellow juror to get the verdict they wanted, making it obvious that there's more to it than Joe Citizen muddling through murky legal waters.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Aerox posted:

Ok thanks.
Thanks for this.

Are conspiracy charges the only ones they are on trial for? Is there no evidence that they personally did anything wrong by themselves?

edit: other than possibly illegally possessing guns

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 28, 2016

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Advocating what is basically jury intimidation probably would not turn out in the way you'd like.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Aerox posted:

absent a video or audio recording of both parties saying YES, LET US COMMIT A CRIME TOGETHER, which almost never exists.

...So, you mean the following is not in fact satire, but a retelling of real-life legal definitions? :stonklol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6NJnjprd1s

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Move Portland to Washington and sell Oregon to the Canadians.

gently caress you, what makes you think we'd want Oregon? Sell Oregon to the South Pacific :colbert:

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
While reflecting on the fact that a bunch of white supremacists got away with the armed takeover of federal land, please take the time to consider that, at this moment, unarmed protesters with NoDAPL are being attacked with rubber bullets, sound cannons, and MRAPs.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Bushiz posted:

While reflecting on the fact that a bunch of white supremacists got away with the armed takeover of federal land, please take the time to consider that, at this moment, unarmed protesters with NoDAPL are being attacked with rubber bullets, sound cannons, and MRAPs.

Yeah but those are Native Americans. They're basically foreign invaders, right?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

chumbler posted:

Advocating what is basically jury intimidation probably would not turn out in the way you'd like.

I don't think you mean what you actually are saying here. Protesting a judgment after a verdict has already been handed down has nothing to do with intimidating jurors.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bushiz posted:

Well that's not impairing the respect and honor of the justice system, we just can't question that kind of thing. For some reason.

At some point one must ask: What good is a justice system which produces injustice? Certainly there will never be perfection.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
So Twitter shutting down Vine, but not shutting down the alt-right:

quote:

Okay, so, obvious statement is obvious: Vine's cancellation announcement came after Twitter failed to sell itself to outside investors. In recent days, three big companies walked away from Twitter, two of them willing to publicly cite the abuse problems as a dealbreaker. The cancellation of Vine has other factors weighing on it, but in general, it's part of a belt-tightening response to that.

Ponder this: Twitter loses out on Disney money because they won't deliver safety to their users, responds by tightening the belt. Twitter's response to being told that their abuse problem costs them BILLIONS is layoffs and closures to try to stem that loss.

Vines are a tricky thing to monetize, sure. Who's going to sit through a thirty second commercial for an 8 second loop? (Surprised more people didn't hire the Vine superstars to just make them eight second viral ads.)
But in the big picture, something like Vine would either be a "loss leader" or "value add" for a social platform, depending on your view. Vine doesn't make money, but it brings something to Twitter... which would mean something if the Twitter brand wasn't so completely toxic.

Now, the biggest Vine stars and the biggest viral hits have come from the same quarters that are most often cultural drivers in the U.S. I.e., it's mostly the innovations of young artists of color. And if you check the Vine trend on Twitter, there are right now deep, multi-layered conversations happening re: Vine & communities of color. So while there are other forces at play, Twitter is revealing something about their priorities with this decision.

That is, Twitter would rather play host to a cesspool of racists, rapists, and terrorists than to a vibrant community of artists of color.

That Vine is hard to monetize is true. But so is Twitter itself. The question is less "how many dollars?" than it is "whose dollars?"Time and again, we hear "That's where the money is." to explain media pandering to straight white guys. Time and again, stats prove it false. Twitter, fighting for its financial life, jettisons meaningful content because of who creates and consumes it, to preserve hateful garbage.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/791807271999340544

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So with Hillary ahead in Florida, within a handful of points in Texas, crushing as usual in New York, and Donny looking to have historically bad turn out in California, the popular vote is going to be real nice on November 8th. The only state with a real population left to mitigate Hillary's lead is Ohio, and that's going to be close even if Donny wins it.

torgeaux posted:

Mark Kirk: I'd forgotten your parents came all the way from Thailand to serve George Washington."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUEwhcXNWM0&feature=youtu.be

What in the gently caress is this even supposed to mean? Is it some sort of sick burn that Kirk bungled into a cosmic level nega-burn or something? Like all the components present are neutral or good things(other than the misspeak implication of slavery) in virtually any order that they are arranged.

Edit:
This thread has had a drastic lack of FLOTUS gifs recently

https://twitter.com/Khanoisseur/status/791717813870223360

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

chumbler posted:

Nah, Im actually 100% fine with us calling out racist jurors and shaming them. Its not like the non-racist ones in important civil right cases dont get intimidated the gently caress out of by the racists anyways.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

PEC's metamargin went back up to 4.2. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

chumbler posted:

So goons posting on the internet is a threat to democracy, but a bunch of militiamen standing outside of the courthouse with guns isn't. Funny how that works out, isn't it.

• Locked thread