Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

tuo posted:

Is CIG totally nuts now? I mean apart from incompetent, are they now totally bonkers?

Nah man scrubs like us just don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

So, 10-18 hours of footage like this and spacemop huh....This game is going to be great!

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

:eyepop:

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Oleyo posted:

So, when I was in high school, we had to watch a movie about those experiments where the teacher showed how people could have possibly supported the Nazi party. You know, the one where the kids go from zero to Lord of the Flies in the space of about for days?

Anyway, there is a scene in this movie where a dumpy looser, a real sperg, stands in front of his mirror at home and salutes himself with his armband or whatever insignia the teacher used. When this happened or whole class laughed and laughed because we were immature kids* and he was a real sperg.

In any case, this is the exact scene I remember when I think of the remaining crop that CIG is nurturing.**

*I may or may not have remained at this level, and refuse to comment on the grounds that it may incriminate me.

**PS: I'm currently at a restaurant and drinking. Am I crazy or had anyone else seen this movie. I hope my brain didn't make it up.

The Wave. I saw it.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Tippis posted:

The IGN article comments gave me a (bad) idea. What are Chris' game credentials, really? He's often mentioned in relation to a lot of games, but what did he actually do according to the games themselves and the credits provided with them (as collected by mobygames)?

Wing Commander (1990)
• Design (Amiga, Sega CD), director (Amiga, Sega CD, SNES), graphics/3D Programming (DOS, Amiga), lead design (DOS), programming (DOS, SNES), producer (DOS, Amiga, Sega CD), software engineer (Amiga, Sega CD), space system (Amiga, Sega CD)
Secret Missions I
    Director (SNES), producer (DOS, SNES), programming (SNES)
Secret Missions II
   Producer, programming

Wing Commander II (1991)
• Producer
Special Operations I
   Creative Director
Special Operations II
   Creative Director
CD ROM Edition
   3D System, graphics, lead design, producer
Not given credit for: script, story, programming, direction, design

Wing Commander: Privateer (1993)
• Executive producer, original concept
↳ Righteous Fire
   — No credits

Strike Commander (1993)
• Cameras, cockpit, HUD, and MFDs, ,director, graphics ,library code, mission design, original outline, producer, RealSpace System programming
Tactical Operations
   Producer

Super Wing Commander (1994)
— No credits, other than for original PC version

Wing Commander III (1994)
• Castmember (DOS), director (DOS, 3DO), executive producer & director of movies, producer (DOS), story (DOS, 3DO)
Not given credit for: anything in the Playstation version

Wing Commander: Armada (1994)
• Producer
Not given credit for: original concept, design, programming, direction

Wing Commander IV (1996)
• Executive producer, director
Not given credit for: original concept, design, programming, story

Privateer 2 (1996)
— No credits

Wing Commander: Prophecy (1997)
• Special thanks (Windows)

Starlancer (2000)
• Executive producer

Freelancer (2003)
• Original concept, special thanks
Not given credit for: producer, (lead) design, direction, programming, story, script

So, all in all, he's only really “made” three games: Wing Commander I, Strike Commander, and Wing Commander III. Maybe his movie madness in WC4 should count as well. The rest, he has at best produced, and in many cases, he did nothing — especially not the design, original concept, or writing that people often want to bring up. His programming contributions ended with Strike Commander and the CD-ROM version of WC2.

Gotcha. Thanks Tippis.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Chris Roberts is going to see that comment about the bucket not having wheels and that poor actor dude is going to have to mop the floor again.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

U WOT MATE! I KNOW KUNG FU! SWEAR ON ME I'lL RECK U

or

To become one with the Roberts, you must think like the Roberts

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 4, 2016

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
CIG Monthly Item 2.0 Reports

CIG LA
April 2016

- "new features that are rolling out, including the Shopping UI, the new ItemSystem 2.0"
- "We’ve ported our hangars and flair objects over to using the new Item System 2.0"

Foundry 42 UK
May 2016

- "Romulo has been doing the player refactor and moving armour over to the new Item 2.0"

CIG LA
June 2016

- "the armor and loadouts have been converted to use the new item system"

CIG LA
July 2016

- "preliminary testing for Item 2.0"
- "supporting the LA Engineering team in setting up the new Item 2.0 elevators"

CIG LA
August 2016

- "getting Item System 2.0 ready for prime time"
- "We also worked with Engineering on features for Item System 2.0"
- "the (QA) team worked with developers on Item 2.0"

CIG LA
October 2016

- "the engineering team progressed steadily on Item System 2.0"
- "coordinated with LA Engineering to guarantee that they will work with the upcoming Item 2.0 system"
- "The tech designers have been getting to grips with the conversion of all our existing ships to Item 2.0"

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

AP posted:

Chris Roberts is going to see that comment about the bucket not having wheels and that poor actor dude is going to have to mop the floor again.

oh my god it's true

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

SomethingJones posted:

Squadron 42 teaser footage from RtV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zC8Xw68Cds

I don't even know what to say

I thought a goon had made it

Paint them blue and it's a Blue Man Group act.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Item 2.0. 100.000 manhours well spent.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

SomethingJones posted:

CIG LA
April 2016

- "new features that are rolling out, including the Shopping UI, the new ItemSystem 2.0"
- "We’ve ported our hangars and flair objects over to using the new Item System 2.0"

Foundry 42 UK
May 2016

- "Romulo has been doing the player refactor and moving armour over to the new Item 2.0"

CIG LA
June 2016

- "the armor and loadouts have been converted to use the new item system"

CIG LA
July 2016

- "preliminary testing for Item 2.0"
- "supporting the LA Engineering team in setting up the new Item 2.0 elevators"

CIG LA
August 2016

- "getting Item System 2.0 ready for prime time"
- "We also worked with Engineering on features for Item System 2.0"
- "the (QA) team worked with developers on Item 2.0"

CIG LA
October 2016

- "the engineering team progressed steadily on Item System 2.0"
- "coordinated with LA Engineering to guarantee that they will work with the upcoming Item 2.0 system"
- "The tech designers have been getting to grips with the conversion of all our existing ships to Item 2.0"

Progress locust :colbert:

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Tippis posted:

The IGN article comments gave me a (bad) idea. What are Chris' game credentials, really? He's often mentioned in relation to a lot of games, but what did he actually do according to the games themselves and the credits provided with them (as collected by mobygames)?

Wing Commander (1990)
• Design (Amiga, Sega CD), director (Amiga, Sega CD, SNES), graphics/3D Programming (DOS, Amiga), lead design (DOS), programming (DOS, SNES), producer (DOS, Amiga, Sega CD), software engineer (Amiga, Sega CD), space system (Amiga, Sega CD)
Secret Missions I
    Director (SNES), producer (DOS, SNES), programming (SNES)
Secret Missions II
   Producer, programming

Wing Commander II (1991)
• Producer
Special Operations I
   Creative Director
Special Operations II
   Creative Director
CD ROM Edition
   3D System, graphics, lead design, producer

Wing Commander: Privateer (1993)
• Executive producer, original concept
↳ Righteous Fire
   — No credits

Strike Commander (1993)
• Cameras, cockpit, HUD, and MFDs, ,director, graphics ,library code, mission design, original outline, producer, RealSpace System programming
Tactical Operations
   Producer

Super Wing Commander (1994)
— No credits, other than for original PC version

Wing Commander III (1994)
• Castmember (DOS), director (DOS, 3DO), executive producer & director of movies, producer (DOS), story (DOS, 3DO)
Not given credit for: anything in the Playstation version

Wing Commander: Armada (1994)
• Producer
Not given credit for: original concept, design, programming, direction

Wing Commander IV (1996)
• Executive producer, director
Not given credit for: original concept, design, programming, story

Privateer 2 (1996)
— No credits

Wing Commander: Prophecy (1997)
• Special thanks (Windows)

Starlancer (2000)
• Executive producer

Freelancer (2003)
• Original concept, special thanks
Not given credit for: producer, (lead) design, direction, programming, story, script

So, all in all, he's only really “made” three games: Wing Commander I, Strike Commander, and Wing Commander III. Maybe his movie madness in WC4 should count as well. The rest, he has at best produced, and in many cases, he did nothing — especially not the design, original concept, or writing that people often want to bring up. His programming contributions ended with Strike Commander and the CD-ROM version of WC2.

The last game that CR had anything to do with, as far as actual coding or programming is concerned was back in 1993.

At the end, that game released years late with a letter from CR in the box comparing its development process to the Apocalypse now filming clusterfuck.

You can imagine what his devs would say if they could also write a letter for it.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 4, 2016

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Dante80 posted:

I posted that exclusive Sq42 footage on :reddit:

Second answer.

It's me, i'm the guy complaining about wasted internet traffic while downloading set another 50 gigabyte Star Citizen ”patch”.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

SomethingJones posted:

This will all be worth it once you all see the fidelity of movable boxes.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Decrepus posted:

The idea of the drone flying out and grabbing your ship and piloting it into the dock was a cool idea. I wish other internet space videogames could come up with ideas.

That's a pretty neat idea, from an ingame (immersion) perspective takes the danger and stress away from the pilot during landings and from a development pov it keeps the landing mechanics simple so nice and straightforward, I like that. It's simply clever thinking from an experienced and seasoned team who know how to make games, these are the kind of development subtleties that CR just can't grasp.

I've not managed to get a spare few hours today to play IW though yet, am very much looking forward to it though. :)

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

T-pose 2.0

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Sabreseven posted:

I've not managed to get a spare few hours today to play IW though yet, am very much looking forward to it though. :)

I'm still staring in disbelief at the 110gb download progress bar... (okay, it includes the remastered MW, but still...)

drat, I need faster internet :/

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hey! I did enjoy Tobal No. 1.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Yay, Space Globe!

drluv
Feb 25, 2016

Please do not undercut me in front of the child.

his nibs posted:

:lesnick:The salt is real:sandance:

Don't forget this one: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5b5zo0/monthly_studio_report_roberts_space_industries/d9m0w43/

They're getting suspicious. Soon the little shills won't need us anymore... they grow up so fast...

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

This is almost exactly what I was thinking when I saw the head sleezeball lawyer leaving. poo poo is about to go down.

trucutru posted:

Hey! I did enjoy Tobal No. 1.
I played so much tobal 1+2 and Bushido blade with my friends back in high school. It was pure nonsense and some really fond memories.

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 4, 2016

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

tuo posted:

I'm still staring in disbelief at the 110gb download progress bar... (okay, it includes the remastered MW, but still...)

drat, I need faster internet :/

Haha, I left it download overnight, I really hate leaving electrical stuff switched on when everyones asleep as I've got previous "trapped in a burning house" experience and I own a galaxy S7note, I must have checked on my pc at least three times during the night hehe :D

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

orcinus posted:

It's me, i'm the guy complaining about wasted internet traffic while downloading set another 50 gigabyte Star Citizen ”patch”.

My brother had the idea of launching the concept of "green internet" sites that only use limited bandwidth and were locally sourced, as a way to troll people into being for and against it

Save the e-vironment, get your internet GREEN CERT 2day

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

his nibs posted:

something about chickens, homes and roosting

I don't understand what the problem is.
It's not a pledge, it's a donation!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So when did CiG start doing "discount for cash"?

And when did Ortwin leave?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Raskolnikov posted:

This is almost exactly what I was thinking when I saw the head sleezeball lawyer leaving. poo poo is about to go down.

I don't think there'll be anything out in the open about it for ages, which is a shame. But it WILL be out in the open.

Ben Lesnick, ex developer, liar, was also rumoured to be gone in the thread and I suppose that's out in the open now. In fact it was KNOWN that he was gone and then he turns up on Batgirl and says he's been playing Star Marine.

I still can't believe they showed that hangar mocap stuff, they've given up.

I was going to do more effort on the monthly studio reports, but honestly all you have to do is open a bunch of them in Chrome and scan through them and search for the same words and phrases. Item 2.0 was literally the first thing that came to mind and there it is going back 7 months. Everything was refactored for Item 2.0, then it was being tested by QA, then Item 2.0 was getting ready for primetime, then stuff was getting refactored for Item 2.0, then Item 2.0 is upcoming and still being worked on. I mean it's all there. It's all bullshit.

edit - if you scan through the studio monthly reports from this year you can literally see the life going out of them, as each studio charts its own descent. Bit of an eye opener.

SomethingJones fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 4, 2016

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

SirPhoebos posted:

So when did CiG start doing "discount for cash"?

And when did Ortwin leave?

'Cash only' appeared directly after the Ortwin leaving rumours appeared, and the Ortwin leaving rumours were accompanied by a cryptic message from eightace - something about the Polaris paying him what he was owed.

This is how I remember it anyway.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

That hanger video is complete garbage, especially for something that is supposed to be out in 2 weeks, or whatever they said.

And really they're mocapping poo poo like mopping a floor? Yes it is space and the future, all that aside from how totally retarded it is to use a mop in 3642 or whatever year it is set in... they're spending HOW much a day to mocap toilet making GBS threads and mopping animations...
Just lol at how quickly this is going to turn the brown sea on them

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

My brother had the idea of launching the concept of "green internet" sites that only use limited bandwidth and were locally sourced, as a way to troll people into being for and against it

Save the e-vironment, get your internet GREEN CERT 2day

You kid, but i've actually seen sites tout themselves as "green" because they use black backgrounds and less images.
The truly funny part was they were also sprinkled with a shitload of JS and Flash that'd kick your CPU and fans into overdrive.

And no, they weren't trolls, they were the real deal.

Bumbler
Dec 17, 2005

"Start thinking of it in Battlestar Galactica terms" that's funny because BSG is exactly what came to mind when I saw that clip, except it was more along the lines that even BSG didn't have a ridiculous flight crew waving ships out the dock and that show is all about being as low tech as possible in space.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
I fully expect Chris to have space carriers launch spaceships using steam catapults that run on gravitational steam via gravitational pipes.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

SomethingJones posted:

Squadron 42 teaser footage from RtV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zC8Xw68Cds

I don't even know what to say

I thought a goon had made it

lol
Explains why there was an insufferable hour of powerpoint slides about forum tools in the CitCon.
If they'd shown this people would have started throwing stuff (which they should have anyway).

I'm so happy I that I got my refund and now I can painlessly stuff like this.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

orcinus posted:

You kid, but i've actually seen sites tout themselves as "green" because they use black backgrounds and less images.
The truly funny part was they were also sprinkled with a shitload of JS and Flash that'd kick your CPU and fans into overdrive.

And no, they weren't trolls, they were the real deal.

Cool I save yr watts by using spoiler tags myself :-)

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Stay safe Humility.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

thatguy posted:

Stay hollow, Humility.

FTFY

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/794653404526059520

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Sappo569 posted:

That hanger video is complete garbage, especially for something that is supposed to be out in 2 weeks, or whatever they said.

And really they're mocapping poo poo like mopping a floor? Yes it is space and the future, all that aside from how totally retarded it is to use a mop in 3642 or whatever year it is set in... they're spending HOW much a day to mocap toilet making GBS threads and mopping animations...
Just lol at how quickly this is going to turn the brown sea on them

After someone makes an emergency bathroom exit, you're going to need those mopping animations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Best marketer in the world since she was a little girl is killing it with her cash only discount strategy

• Locked thread